2016-2017 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the former Director of Admissions and Recruitment at UAMS College of Medicine. Most of you have access to great premed advisors and take time to read everything you can about this crazy application process. If you're looking for personal advising, a closer review of your application before submitting, or simply interview prep, then check out my website at www.premedcoach.biz. I will be working with a small number of clients for the 2017 and 2018 application cycle. I wish you all the best in the application process. Stay the course!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm the former Director of Admissions and Recruitment at UAMS College of Medicine. Most of you have access to great premed advisors and take time to read everything you can about this crazy application process. If you're looking for personal advising, a closer review of your application before submitting, or simply interview prep, then check out my website at www.premedcoach.biz. I will be working with a small number of clients for the 2017 and 2018 application cycle. I wish you all the best in the application process. Stay the course!

Just found out that the email form on my website isn't working! So, if you used the form to email me but not received a response, email me directly at [email protected]. I have my website guru on it and hope to have it up and running soon. If you don't hear from me within 24 hours, I probably didn't get it. I apologize for the few of you who brought this to my attention, but we're hooked up now!

Can someone post the secondary prompts? Also I am from CA with MCAT <505. Is it worth submitting a secondary? What are my chances? Do they look at the holistic candidate or just whether they are from that region...because if its based on region, I am depressed cause I don't have chance at any of the South/midwest schools...:(

Can someone post the secondary prompts? Also I am from CA with MCAT <505. Is it worth submitting a secondary? What are my chances? Do they look at the holistic candidate or just whether they are from that region...because if its based on region, I am depressed cause I don't have chance at any of the South/midwest schools...:(
They take ~90% from within the state. And the last ~10% comes from all over, but they usually have outstanding stats.

Just found out that the email form on my website isn't working! So, if you used the form to email me but not received a response, email me directly at [email protected]. I have my website guru on it and hope to have it up and running soon. If you don't hear from me within 24 hours, I probably didn't get it. I apologize for the few of you who brought this to my attention, but we're hooked up now!
Temp fix to email form problems, so you can reach me now via the form at www.premedcoach.biz or directly at [email protected]. If you emailed me and didn't hear from me within 24 hours, I didn't receive it. Please resend. $50 VISA for any referral that turns into a client!

Has anyone received the UAMS secondary yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not yet. :( I've been waiting since 7/7!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've added a FB page where I will post tips and invite current and former med students to respond to any inquiries: https://www.facebook.com/premedcoach/.
I can't officially speak for UAMS, but I'll tell you what I can! Wishing you all a great journey. Don't let the process itself intimidate you!

Got an email a couple of days ago about a secondary being sent to me soon and that they had received my app. Anyone actually get the secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email a couple of days ago about a secondary being sent to me soon and that they had received my app. Anyone actually get the secondary yet?

I didn't even get that email. I am OOS so that might be why.

I didn't even get that email. I am OOS so that might be why.
I would bet that is why. I was told that this new online secondary has pushed them back to sending them out in the next week or two. Hopefully we get it soon!

Im in the same boat, I am a CA res that received the email saying a secondary was coming (received 7/28) but have yet to hear anything else. Here is a copy of what it said:

"We will be sending you a link to our on-line Supplemental Application soon.
Interviews for Arkansas residents will be held on designated Saturdays in October and November and in January for non-Arkansas residents invited for an interview. Arkansas residents can begin to call on August 15, 2016 to schedule their faculty interview.

Applicants must have submitted their AMCAS application prior to calling for an interview time. We do not need an MCAT score before you interview but you will have to have already submitted your on-line Supplemental Application before your interview or you will need to reschedule."

They take ~90% from within the state. And the last ~10% comes from all over, but they usually have outstanding stats.
So I got my new MCAT score: 508. I hope that's good with a 3.62 gpa.

Reactions: 1 users
So I got my new MCAT score: 508. I hope that's good with a 3.62 gpa.
The packet they gave out at my school said their average accepted student for this last cycle was a 506 or 507(I've slept since then haha). Best of luck to you!

Supplemental apps are up!

This sounds kind of odd, but why is there an option for which term we are applying for?

Does U of Arkansas accept FAP fee waiver? Sound like I have to pay $100 to submit secondary apps.:(

-Deleted- Figured out how to fill in the form properly

Last edited:
Secondary submitted and interview is 10/1!

Hey guys! I received the secondary and finished it already. Does this secondary include essay questions? I could not find it anywhere. Thanks in advance

Hey guys! I received the secondary and finished it already. Does this secondary include essay questions? I could not find it anywhere. Thanks in advance

No essay questions. :)

I'm an OOS applicant that graduated summa cum laude in 2015 from an Arkansas University as a student athlete. sGPA 3.8 cGPA 3.74 MCAT 25 6/14 and 510 9/15. Close patient clinical, research , volunteer, leadership etc. experience.

What are my chances and what should I write include in my letter of close ties to make it more compelling?

I'm an OOS applicant that graduated summa cum laude in 2015 from an Arkansas University as a student athlete. sGPA 3.8 cGPA 3.74 MCAT 25 6/14 and 510 9/15. Close patient clinical, research , volunteer, leadership etc. experience.

What are my chances and what should I write include in my letter of close ties to make it more compelling?

I have no idea what would get in at Arkansas OOS. They offer very few OOS spots. I am also from OOS and graduated from an Arkansas College. I would definitely put that in with your letter of strong ties. Congrats on the Summa Cum Laude, but I'm curious though, how did you get it with a 3.74 gpa? I thought most schools required a 3.95-4.0 gpa.

I have no idea what would get in at Arkansas OOS. They offer very few OOS spots. I am also from OOS and graduated from an Arkansas College. I would definitely put that in with your letter of strong ties. Congrats on the Summa Cum Laude, but I'm curious though, how did you get it with a 3.74 gpa? I thought most schools required a 3.95-4.0 gpa.

I transferred after my freshman year and my grades from the first school did not come with me, just the credit. I graduated with a cGPA 3.9 from my school but my AMCAS cGPA is 3.74.

You're welcome to use the email form at the bottom of the "hire me" page on my website at www.premedcoach.biz for an opinion. If you do, please reference this forum. Good luck!

Does anyone know what GUS or the gateway is? Its something seperate from the supplemental?

Does anyone know what GUS or the gateway is? Its something seperate from the supplemental?
GUS = Gateway for UAMS Students. It's the new campus-wide student information system. Your first interaction with GUS will be to use it as the tool to complete your supplemental application. You will then be "in the system." If and when accepted, your admissions status will be conveyed from the Admissions Office to GUS, thus creating your student account thereafter. Student financial aid, health records, etc., will use GUS to track all things important during your tenure with UAMS. Hope that helps.

GUS = Gateway for UAMS Students. It's the new campus-wide student information system. Your first interaction with GUS will be to use it as the tool to complete your supplemental application. You will then be "in the system." If and when accepted, your admissions status will be conveyed from the Admissions Office to GUS, thus creating your student account thereafter. Student financial aid, health records, etc., will use GUS to track all things important during your tenure with UAMS. Hope that helps.

Okay, thank you!

Has anyone who scheduled an October 1st interview received an email with more information yet?

I submitted my secondary and received Acces to GUS, but my GUS is blank besides my name. Is that normal?

No I get that haha but why can't FM do those same fellowships? Is it because their residency is so much different than that of IM?

I submitted my secondary and received Acces to GUS, but my GUS is blank besides my name. Is that normal?

Mine was this way too! Pretty sure it's just another way for them to contact you?

Any recommendations for hotels near campus?

Just a heads up for those interviewing on Oct. 1:
The Razorbacks are playing at War Memorial Stadium that day with an 11:00 kickoff. I would plan to leave for campus early due to the increased amount of traffic for the game.

Couple of questions for any current students or applicants with more info- what's your opinion of the rural practice program? Also, does anyone have any current info on the congressional district applicant stats? The most recent one I've seen is from 2011..

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hey everyone, IS applicant here scheduled to interview at UAMS on Oct 29th! Who else is interviewing that day?

Best of luck to everyone!

Couple of questions for any current students or applicants with more info- what's your opinion of the rural practice program? Also, does anyone have any current info on the congressional district applicant stats? The most recent one I've seen is from 2011..

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hi, I am an in-state applicant. I think the rural practice program is nice. I do not know too much about it, but from my understanding you can join in medical school or in residency. It may be wiser to wait until residency, since at that point you will be fairly certain what field of medicine you will practice. If somebody is dead set on being a GP or general surgeon before starting medical school and wants to work in a rural area, then the rural practice program is perfect for them.

I'm a little early on the thread, but I'm excited to get this year rolling! In-state applicant from a small town on the west side of the state with a 3.5ish GPA and 504 (67th percentile so I guess a 28 old scale). College athlete with lots of research experience and 1,000+ hours of clinical work. Tons of other ECs and solid letters so hopefully it strengthens my app! Good luck to everyone!
Where were you an athlete and which sport?

I know this can be a stressful point in the process, but good luck to you all!

Any IS applicants or current students have any insight on how the early decision students are picked? Is it the top applicants regardless of their district or is it the top applicants from each district?

Any IS applicants or current students have any insight on how the early decision students are picked? Is it the top applicants regardless of their district or is it the top applicants from each district?
Districts are not part of the decision-making process. Criteria: Application must be complete (including interview evaluations), Arkansas resident, excellent MCAT and GPA, strong overall application.