2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a hold today :(. What does it actually mean? Is it better than a rejection?

I got a hold today :(. What does it actually mean? Is it better than a rejection?

From their website:

When we have received all of your application materials, the Admissions Review Committee will carefully evaluate your entire application. When this detailed evaluation is complete, one of three things will happen:

1. You will be invited to interview. If you are invited to interview you will receive an invitation by email. Invitations to interview are extended first to applicants who are residents of Michigan and to those who closely fit the mission of the college.
  2. Your application will be deemed unsuccessful and will receive no further consideration
  3. Your application will be placed on Hold for Interview Decision
It is very common to hold applications for an interview decision, for comparison to the larger applicant pool that evolves over the year. This may significantly delay a decision to extend an invitation to interview or reject the application. If your application is on hold for an interview decision, our admissions process is structured so that seats remain available for those applicants who interview later in the year.

I'd say a hold is definitely better than a rejection!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if OOS students can get instate tuition at any point after the first year or if there are scholarships available?

Anyone know if OOS students can get instate tuition at any point after the first year or if there are scholarships available?

Not sure about scholarships but I'm pretty sure once you start you can't get in-state

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont remeber exactly where i saw it. Probably one of the MSAR tabs....
Thanks I've been too busy finding out where I can get in compared to actual cost of attendance.

Reactions: 1 users
This might be a dumb question, but any feedback is appreciated.

I'm an OOS applicant from California, no ties to Michigan, but I think MSU is great and would love to go here. I know this school accepts mostly IS, and I respect that. But, I'd like to know how hopeful I should be for an II?

(LizzyM 69 GPA 3.8 MCAT 31 Forwarded for review on 7/15)

I'm an OOS applicant from California, no ties to Michigan, but I think MSU is great and would love to go here. I know this school accepts mostly IS, and I respect that. But, I'd like to know how hopeful I should be for an II?

I'd suggest reading through some of the previous cycle threads and seeing who did/didn't have luck from OOS! Good luck :)

One word. Futility .
Sorry didn't mean to come off as harsh, however without significant ties to a state most state schools are a loosing proposition for oos students. You could be the most compelling student yet an is student with GPA and mcat two standard deviations below your score will probably get more traction.

Last edited:
One word. Futility .
Sorry didn't mean to come off as harsh, however without significant ties to a state most state schools are a loosing proposition for oos students. You could be the most compelling student yet an is student with GPA and mcat two standard deviations below your score will probably get more traction.

Thank you for the input. Yeah, I see what you mean, there's not much I can do about that. It's too bad that I picked the wrong state to be a premed in lol best of luck to all of you guys! :)

Interviewed here Friday and I had a really good time. I was stressing the day before for no reason, apparently. It was my first MMI and I thought it was very fair with nothing crazy. The student interviews were also pretty laid back. They all ask the same initial couple questions to all the interviewees. Then you can ask or talk about anything else. The day did feel a little long -there were a lot of presentations. But overall, I really enjoyed it and thought it wasn't very stressful -just wanted to let those waiting for their interviews or just wondering know.

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed here Friday and I had a really good time. I was stressing the day before for no reason, apparently. It was my first MMI and I thought it was very fair with nothing crazy. The student interviews were also pretty laid back. They all ask the same initial couple questions to all the interviewees. Then you can ask or talk about anything else. The day did feel a little long -there were a lot of presentations. But overall, I really enjoyed it and thought it wasn't very stressful -just wanted to let those waiting for their interviews or just wondering know.

That is great to hear! I didn't realize they had their first interview this past Friday. What was your impression of the school?

Just got an interview invite

3.84GPA
511 MCAT
in-state

Reactions: 5 users
Question, if I completed a graduate program, does that GPA hold higher weight than my undergraduate GPA? I'm assuming that this is university-based but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what is specific to Michigan State?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Question, if I completed a graduate program, does that GPA hold higher weight than my undergraduate GPA? I'm assuming that this is university-based but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what is specific to Michigan State?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
16+ credits in an all science grad program will be highly considered in lieu of the undergrad science GPA, according to an admissions counselor

That is great to hear! I didn't realize they had their first interview this past Friday. What was your impression of the school?

I thought the staff and students were really great and welcoming. They go over the new curriculum for like an hour, but I still feel like I have questions on it though. There are M1s currently in the new curriculum that were there. But I never got a chance/forgot to talk with them. Everyone that interviewed also thought their student interviewers were really nice. It was more like a conversation than an interview. Overall, the atmosphere felt very welcoming and chill.

We did a very short tour, so I only got a small look at the medical campus. So I don't have much to say about the facilities. Also learned that they just started a new clinical site in Southfield, Providence Hospital. So that's nice for us Metro Detroiters who would want to come back for years 3 and 4.

Does anyone know the post-II acceptance rate?

Don't know what that is, but the assistant dean of admissions did say that MSU will be giving around 40 less IIs than last year. So that should increase the rate of post-interview acceptances by a bit, and make receiving an II a tad more meaningful.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, there has been a lot of action in the DO schools. I do think that the big name private school threads are lit though. I did get a straight up rejection from oakland so i got that going for me.

I loled.

It took a month for them to complete my file but I also had an MCAT score pending (2nd one) so that's probably why I get held up.

I thought the staff and students were really great and welcoming. They go over the new curriculum for like an hour, but I still feel like I have questions on it though. There are M1s currently in the new curriculum that were there. But I never got a chance/forgot to talk with them. Everyone that interviewed also thought their student interviewers were really nice. It was more like a conversation than an interview. Overall, the atmosphere felt very welcoming and chill.

We did a very short tour, so I only got a small look at the medical campus. So I don't have much to say about the facilities. Also learned that they just started a new clinical site in Southfield, Providence Hospital. So that's nice for us Metro Detroiters who would want to come back for years 3 and 4.

Don't know what that is, but the assistant dean of admissions did say that MSU will be giving around 40 less IIs than last year. So that should increase the rate of post-interview acceptances by a bit, and make receiving an II a tad more meaningful.

Good to hear about the new rotation site. And also interesting that they're offering 40 less IIs, that really does increase the significance of receiving one (although only time will tell at this point lol).

Glad you enjoyed the interview!

When did you submit your secondary and when was it ready for review?
upload_2016-10-1_13-16-6.png

Congratulations for all of those who have received good news! I haven't seen too many folks from out of state receive much. I've been under "Preliminary Review" since the 23rd of July but I am OOS. Anyone else in the same boat?

Congratulations for all of those who have received good news! I haven't seen too many folks from out of state receive much. I've been under "Preliminary Review" since the 23rd of July but I am OOS. Anyone else in the same boat?
+1 since 7/26 OOS

Has anyone interviewed here? I have my interview next friday and would appreciate any advice :) (i understand that the MMI is confidential of course), but general advice about the stress level of the day, how the one-on-one med student interview is, etc would be appreciated! Thank you!

Has anyone interviewed here? I have my interview next friday and would appreciate any advice :) (i understand that the MMI is confidential of course), but general advice about the stress level of the day, how the one-on-one med student interview is, etc would be appreciated! Thank you!
You cant really prep for the MMI, just give honest thoughtful answers. The student interview was very relaxed. More like a conversation with a friend than an interview. Overall a very chill day.

It looks like MSU posted their decision release dates for this cycle today. They're all on Wednesdays, like last year. First release date is on Oct. 19.

http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/ApplicationProcess/current/select_process.htm
I still have a feeling the first couple interview dates will get something on the 17th....
The dean of admissions told us that we would probably have decisions this past week before he remembered the october 15th traffic rule...