2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In state. Was hoping for more love than that from MSU :(
Aw man I'm sorry to hear that! When did you submit your secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Not until August 14th so maybe that contributed to it. I'm not the earliest in the cycle.
Hmmm that's odd! I saw you have other II, so don't sweat it too much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go blue! But lowkey MSU if you accept me I will wear green & white I swear!!!

Reactions: 1 users
still nothing yet from this school for me either...submitted 7/17, not sure if this is a good or bad thing :x

In state. Was hoping for more love than that from MSU :(

They put almost everyone on hold before they send out interview invites. This isn't a bad thing AT ALL. It's good actually! Someone read your file and you may be hearing back soon!

They put almost everyone on hold before they send out interview invites. This isn't a bad thing AT ALL. It's good actually! Someone read your file and you may be hearing back soon!
Wait, so EVERYONE gets this status after review has happened?

Wait, so EVERYONE gets this status after review has happened?
No I don't think that is the case. Last year's thread had people going from "forwarded to preliminary review" to getting an II. If on hold, it's possible later in the cycle to get an II, but for now you're in limbo. I'm on hold at GWU so I know the feels. There is still hope though!

Just found out on twitter that MSUCHM will be sending II's out within the next week :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are other people on hold too? Mine still says "Forwarded for Preliminary Review on 8/4/2016."

**I am OOS

Does anyone know if MSU weights upper level courses or graduate courses higher? I know Wayne State does something like this and I recall reading that MSU takes more recent courses into greater consideration (I may well be incorrect about this).

Does anyone know if MSU weights upper level courses or graduate courses higher? I know Wayne State does something like this and I recall reading that MSU takes more recent courses into greater consideration (I may well be incorrect about this).
In their self-assessment guide for applicants, they recommend 16 credits of post-bacc/all-science master's work to enhance/replace the undergrad science GPA. After speaking with an admissions counselor, he relayed to me that this is in fact true, but they want to see 20 credits (just like Wayne).

In their self-assessment guide for applicants, they recommend 16 credits of post-bacc/all-science master's work to enhance/replace the undergrad science GPA. After speaking with an admissions counselor, he relayed to me that this is in fact true, but they want to see 20 credits (just like Wayne).

Thanks for the information!!

Glad to see I am not the only one that got put on hold here and thanks to @femmegoblue I will be expecting an II soon :p

Damn. MSU's white coat ceremony yesterday made me really really want to go to this school. Grand Rapids is so pleasant, and the new curriculum seems it will give insane clinical training.

Sent from my R1 HD using SDN mobile

OOS, really hoping to get an interview here. Says on their twitter though that they only took 14% OOS, so it's highly unlikely for me.

Application completed, forwarded for preliminary review on 7/16/2016.

So I take it they are not enamored with me if I was complete earlier. All it says is "Forwarded for Preliminary Review on 8/9/2016"

Not necessarily! Their website states that they prioritize their review of applications. So IS applicants will receive II before OOS applicants. MSU also places a big emphasis on those who meet its mission, when determining II order.

Congrats on your WSU II, though. I'm sure you'll get some love from MSU.

According to MSU's website:
"Invitations to interview are extended first to applicants who are residents of Michigan and to those who closely fit the mission of the college. The college conducts interviews through February, and our admissions process is structured so that seats remain available for applicants who are reviewed and interviewed later in the application cycle."

Edit: By the way, the "Forwarded for Preliminary Review" message doesn't leave once you get an II. You'll get a new "interview" tab on top instead. After you confirm, then it'll show up in the status area.

Last edited:
this process is so random. wake me up when September ends.

(If you caught my reference, you're awesome)

Question: for MSU undergrads, do ISS/IAH credits satisfy the MCAT-Influenced Preparation Model social science coursework requirement?
I'm not sure, it may depend on the specific courses. However, I interpreted that as psychology and sociology, which are strongly recommended courses for the new MCAT, so I used those courses for the requirement. If you didn't take anything similar, ISS courses would probably work as those are our social science gen ed classes. You could contact admissions to make sure though, I'm sure they're familiar with MSU's gen ed courses.

I browsed the website and watched the video but I'm still a little confused...where do the actual basic medical sciences come into play?

From what I understand they are integrated within the large groups, small group discussions, labs, and guided activities. Apparently there are no separate courses, but one huge integrated course with clinical experience to give the science context. Seems cool on paper, but not sure how it will really be.

just checked the portal and it says I am on hold for an interview. IS LizzyM 69! upon checking the website and last years thread looks like I won't be reviewed again till January kinda bummed out but good luck everyone else!

just checked the portal and it says I am on hold for an interview. IS LizzyM 69! upon checking the website and last years thread looks like I won't be reviewed again till January kinda bummed out but good luck everyone else!
I read other threads to some ppl got interviews with that status before January. hoping that happen for you.
can I ask when you were complete?

Come on MSU,
Show me some love,
and a II too,

Come on MSU,
My stats may be odd,
But so are you(curriculum),

My GPA may be lowest decile,
But I am not an imbecile,
My MCAT is a higher percentile,
so put me in that II pile,

Come on MSU,
Show me some love,
and acceptance too,

I drive through you with eyes closed,
Seeing the email where you proposed,

A meeting or II,

I read other threads to some ppl got interviews with that status before January. hoping that happen for you.
can I ask when you were complete?
completed 7/21

When were you forwarded for review?

Edit: Just saw your response above!

Does anyone have any info on the special programs you can apply for in the secondary?? (Besides the info that is already on the MSU website)

II!!!!
Just about 20 minutes ago, got an email. Assigned date at end of september...

Reactions: 3 users