2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still have a feeling the first couple interview dates will get something on the 17th....
The dean of admissions told us that we would probably have decisions this past week before he remembered the october 15th traffic rule...

I would love if that happened. But I'm not keeping my hopes up. When I was there, no one had a clue either.

And he probably said within the week because that's how fast they release decisions after interviews once the traffic date passes. My friend who interviewed last year also thought I would get it within the week, until I reminded him about the rule too.

Members don't see this ad.

I would love if that happened. But I'm not keeping my hopes up. When I was there, no one had a clue either.

And he probably said within the week because that's how fast they release decisions after interviews once the traffic date passes. My friend who interviewed last year also thought I would get it within the week, until I reminded him about the rule too.
Well last years first notification date they had listed on their site was the 17th or 19th or something, if I remeber right, but if you look on here there were people who got calls on the 15th, so Im hopeful.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations for all of those who have received good news! I haven't seen too many folks from out of state receive much. I've been under "Preliminary Review" since the 23rd of July but I am OOS. Anyone else in the same boat?

Same here...I've had that status since Jul1 21st...Also OOS.

Is anyone else in the "hold" bucket? It's actually the saddest looking status update ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have trouble uploading their interview forms on the portal? When I upload them I lose the changes I've made. Am I just being tech-dumb on this Monday morning?

Anyone else have trouble uploading their interview forms on the portal? When I upload them I lose the changes I've made. Am I just being tech-dumb on this Monday morning?

I have the same question...
Are we supposed to print the forms and scan them back in?

If you already interviewed, how did you do it?

Use adobe. Fill it out on the computer and type your signature into the box. Save as pdf. Upload.

I had to print and scan back in...only way I could get all the data to stay!

I contacted admissions who said that they can't see the uploaded data either. They said I am the first person they've heard from about the issue. It'd be good to let them know you're having problems too. I think printing and scanning is probably the best thing to try at this point.

I contacted admissions who said that they can't see the uploaded data either. They said I am the first person they've heard from about the issue. It'd be good to let them know you're having problems too. I think printing and scanning is probably the best thing to try at this point.

Ok, thanks! Will do

interviewing here tomorrow! incredibly excited, wishing you all luck and hoping we all get those acceptances! :)

Reactions: 4 users
interviewing here tomorrow! incredibly excited, wishing you all luck and hoping we all get those acceptances! :)
Assuming you'll be in GR, see you there :cool:

Wish I knew whether we might hear something on monday or Wednesday...
Wednesday is the first official decision date on their site, but last year some people heard back on the 15th, and others not until the decision date...

Wish I knew whether we might hear something on monday or Wednesday...
Wednesday is the first official decision date on their site, but last year some people heard back on the 15th, and others not until the decision date...

It'll likely be Wednesday. I just interviewed there yesterday in GR and the Dean said they'll be releasing their first decisions on the 19th, not the 17th. Maybe they'll change it again though, who really knows! It seems they want to review and make decisions relatively quickly so folks aren't waiting around too long. They said there was a possibility that some folks who interviewed on 10/14 could possibly hear back by 10/19, but if not by then either the 10/26 date or 11/2 date. They did note that if you have interviewed already, don't call the office to check on the status, it won't help and the staff will not be able to give you an answer. They also noted if you interviewed between 9/30-10/14 and don't hear back by Thanksgiving, call 'em after Thanksgiving to see what's going on.

Here's to hoping they don't get bogged down and we aren't waiting for too long! I really really hope I hear something good back from CHM. I fell in love with the school even more as soon as I set foot in Secchia.

Also, anyone who has a future interview here they really really try to make it as stress free as possible. It's a closed setting and no one you meet on interview day has seen your full file, meaning no numbers (MCAT/GPA) and no LORS as those could cause a bias. Super awesome, I think because it gives you the opportunity to simply be you. So be yourself and have fun! Everyone there is incredibly nice and welcoming. It's a long day, but I honestly found it to be a super fun experience and didn't want to leave! Even the MMI was fun and interesting and I initially dreaded it. Good luck everyone!

So looking at past years threads, including ones where the 15th ends up on a weekend, it looks like acceptees get phone calls on tuesday evenings and other notifications go out online on wednesdays if a decision has been made by then.

So looking at past years threads, including ones where the 15th ends up on a weekend, it looks like acceptees get phone calls on tuesday evenings and other notifications go out online on wednesdays if a decision has been made by then.
Yep. They said during interview day that it all depends how healthy/busy Dr. Maurer is on Tuesday nights. Think he's the one that does the calling.

Yep. They said during interview day that it all depends how healthy/busy Dr. Maurer is on Tuesday nights. Think he's the one that does the calling.

I wonder if he'd call this week because there have been 3 interview dates so far and he'd probably have to make a good amount of calls. Even this past Friday they said some of us would hear by this Wednesday.

the vibe here was incredible, all of the applicants, staff, and med students were super friendly :happy:

Reactions: 2 users
It's getting real! Unlikely to be tomorrow, but still hoping it will be anyways. Every phone vibration is going to send me into overdrive though o_O

GOT AN INTERVIEW!!! LITERALLY IN TEARS it's my first II

Reactions: 8 users
Interview invite via email just now :) So excited! Scheduled for 12/02!

Edited to add: at the East Lansing campus!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Im not religous, but I am literally praying for a phone call today or tomorrow.
Preferably today lol. The wait is killing me.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm with you. I literally just interviewed there and the chances of me hearing back this soon are so slim but c'mon MSU, show us some loveeee! I'm hoping someone hears good news soon!!!

Last edited:

I know, this wait is making me so anxious. I just want to be a Spartan MD :arghh: