2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does MSU yield protect with instate applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I have a 518 3.95 so I dont think so.
You are almost three standard deviations above their median MCAT!

That is 10 LizzyM points above their median!!!!!

Is that post bac? or straight up ug gpa? Impressive non the less.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
... I am just going to withdraw my applications now.. :p
Meh. My app definitely has some strong weak points too.
I have no 'official' shadowing as of yet, and my volunteering is on the low side. I was hoping my nontrad+veteran status would help balance that out, but as of now MSU is my only II. dont worry lol, you'll do fine...

I have no 'official' shadowing as of yet, and my volunteering is on the low side. I was hoping my nontrad+veteran status would help balance that out, but as of now MSU is my only II. dont worry lol, you'll do fine...
Yeah dude, you are getting that uMich II! Veteran status to boot thats a LizzyM of 80+ .

Oh yeah forgot to mention no research lol, thats not gonna help w/umich. Im not bamking on an II from there yet.

And MSU is pretty great too.
yeah I would love to have rotations in GR.

Yeah, there are probably less than 100 candidates in Michigan with those stats. That being said, oakland will still reject you.

yeah I would love to have rotations in GR.

Yeah, there are probably less than 100 candidates in Michigan with those stats. That being said, oakland will still reject you.
They already did lol, in july.
And they're my undergrad too, so that stung a little.

fair enough lol I am sure you'll be fine as well. thanks for serving. I appreciate it

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone heard how the 1-0n-1 interview tends to be at this school? I heard it was pretty laid back, but not sure what to expect

Couple questions:
1. Does anybody with us news report subscription or other reliable source know what the number of acceptances are (not matriculants)? And even better, the IS/OOS breakdown of that number?

2. The part where we are interviewed by a student, is that open file or closed file?

Members don't see this ad :)
Couple questions:
1. Does anybody with us news report subscription or other reliable source know what the number of acceptances are (not matriculants)? And even better, the IS/OOS breakdown of that number?

2. The part where we are interviewed by a student, is that open file or closed file?

I think I read somewhere that they have around 70-80% IS students, but the actual acceptance number I'm not sure (maybe its similar?)

and I heard that its semi-blind. So they don't have MCAT or GPA but they do have your essays and such (not sure about LORs)

Reactions: 1 user

It's open. If they actually read it, IDK. But it is super informal. They just want to make sure they can see you as a classmate.

Apparently they are also very clear about the MMI at the interview so you know what to expect.

II this week! IS and submitted 7/27.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now! October 14 in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, there has been a lot of action in the DO schools. I do think that the big name private school threads are lit though. I did get a straight up rejection from oakland so i got that going for me.

Wait how do you know you got rejection from Oakland? (Oakland Beaumont???) and do you know why????

I submitted all my secondaries late (bc study abroad) so I'm kinda of scared that I won't get a single interview

II just now on 10/14. Submitted 8/29. Yay so excited

Reactions: 1 users
Is the hold status like a hard hold or just kind of a neutral ground until they decide what to do with you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Interview invite today :) October 14th in GR. See ya'll there!

GPA 3.65, MCAT 511, IS

Reactions: 3 users
II :):) first one of the season. After 4 rejections this made me cry, I am so happy!!!!

IS, forwarded for review early August, LizzyM 68

I'll see you guys the 14th! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Ouwb has been emailing rejections since midjuly. They're pretty trigger happy with those R's.

What? for what though? Cut-offs? Don't they just not give secondaries at that point?

:( how late?

All my Michigan ones were by the end of August -- except Western. I submitted 17 apps so far, still like 10 left though ... Ik I'm screwed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II! IS and was forwarded for preliminary review on 7/30. Hope to see some of you October 21 in East Lansing! Congrats to all who got interviews today and best of luck to those still waiting!

What? for what though? Cut-offs? Don't they just not give secondaries at that point?
They're post secondary rejections. Everyone gets a secondary.
Stats arent too big a deal there. They're very big on "fit" and very community service oriented....

They're post secondary rejections. Everyone gets a secondary.
Stats arent too big a deal there. They're very big on "fit" and very community service oriented....

Okay thank God I haven't heard back a rejection yet. My background fits really well with what they want and the admissions kind of know me. (I don't go there for undergrad there though but Im sure you can figure that out from my username lol)

II! IS and was forwarded for preliminary review on 7/30. Hope to see some of you October 21 in East Lansing! Congrats to all who got interviews today and best of luck to those still waiting!

I stand corrected. Odd that they would have some interviews in Grand Rapids and some in East Lansing.

Last edited: