2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Describe an experience that profoundly affected you in either a positive or negative manner. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you did not go into great detail (including personal statement and/or experiences), or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

3. What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of being a physician some day? How do you see yourself addressing this challenge? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

4. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the secondary this morning, OOS, LizzyM<65

Got the secondary this morning Lizzy M 78

Is anyone having problems seeing the prompts within the secondary? Or do we have to pay the fee first in order to see the questions?

Can someone post the prompts? I think you have to pay before you can see them, but I'm not sure I want to apply here quite yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone post the prompts? I think you have to pay before you can see them, but I'm not sure I want to apply here quite yet.

Describe an experience that profoundly affected you in either a positive or negative manner. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you did not go into great detail (including personal statement and/or experiences), or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of being a physician some day? How do you see yourself addressing this challenge? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

On top of these there are at least two more optional essays depending on what program you choose to participate in.

@WedgeDawg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Describe an experience that profoundly affected you in either a positive or negative manner. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you did not go into great detail (including personal statement and/or experiences), or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of being a physician some day? How do you see yourself addressing this challenge? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

On top of these there are at least two more optional essays depending on what program you choose to participate in.
Thank you!

what are you guys writing for the admissions committee question (why msu, hobbies?)? i can't find much to write about from their website

what are you guys writing for the admissions committee question (why msu, hobbies?)? i can't find much to write about from their website

Modified diversity essay! What do I bring to the class/what is unique about me/etc

Modified diversity essay! What do I bring to the class/what is unique about me/etc
hmm, i used my diversity essay for the first question. do you think an essay about a time i was stressed or a personal challenge essay would fit for the first question?

hmm, i used my diversity essay for the first question. do you think an essay about a time i was stressed or a personal challenge essay would fit for the first question?

For the essay about an experience that profoundly impacted you?

I would venture either of those two would be okay, given appropriate tweaking.......I wouldn't personally write "Why MSU?" there, just because they want to know about *you* and "Why MSU?" turns it into a conversation that is primarily about the school.

Just my two cents though!

Just submitted this secondary! Good luck everyone!!

For the most challenging aspect question, does anyone know if this is about healthcare in the future, as a whole? Or is it asking the most challenging aspect for the applicant? The term "some day" throws me off.

For the most challenging aspect question, does anyone know if this is about healthcare in the future, as a whole? Or is it asking the most challenging aspect for the applicant? The term "some day" throws me off.

I think healthcare as a whole. I took it as "What is one problem in healthcare that you'll have to deal with and how will you deal with it?"

I think healthcare as a whole. I took it as "What is one problem in healthcare that you'll have to deal with and how will you deal with it?"

Huh. I took it as a personal question, but I could honestly see it going either way. To me, the words "of being a physician" as opposed to "in healthcare" were the cue. Didn't even cross my mind to go the other way though. I'd like to think as long as you craft a thoughtful response to the question, it should be alright.

@WedgeDawg

what are the optional essays for regular MD?

Anyone who already submitted the secondary get a status change yet?

I'm a reapplicant and updated my entire primary app, but am wondering if I need to completely rewrite my secondaries. I put my all into them last time and dont have much to change unless I write them about a different topic. I retook the MCAT since applying last and got a 515, up 12 points from my first try. I do have a few new activities on my app but I'm hoping my new score will be the difference maker.

I'm a reapplicant and updated my entire primary app, but am wondering if I need to completely rewrite my secondaries. I put my all into them last time and dont have much to change unless I write them about a different topic. I retook the MCAT since applying last and got a 515, up 12 points from my first try. I do have a few new activities on my app but I'm hoping my new score will be the difference maker.
I've heard horror stories of applicants NOT re-writing, and the ad-coms pulling out their old files and asking them why they haven't.

Granted those stories are on SDN, so take them with a grain of salt.

But I think you'd want to leave no stone unturned! Good luck!!

This is the first time I have seen this:
"NOTE: When copying and pasting text into essay boxes, you may encounter issues. The portal may allow you to copy and paste characters that aren't allowed. The system recognizes the characters as HTML which are not correctly displayed in the CHM Applicant Portal. It is highly recommended that you not copy and paste text."

Surely they don't want you to have to retype every single essay?

This is the first time I have seen this:
"NOTE: When copying and pasting text into essay boxes, you may encounter issues. The portal may allow you to copy and paste characters that aren't allowed. The system recognizes the characters as HTML which are not correctly displayed in the CHM Applicant Portal. It is highly recommended that you not copy and paste text."

Surely they don't want you to have to retype every single essay?

I copy and pasted and when I proofread I did notice a couple characters were changed to question marks, but I just fixed them and didn't seem to have other issues. Just proofread carefully and I think it should be fine!

@WedgeDawg

1. Describe an experience that profoundly affected you in either a positive or negative manner. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you did not go into great detail (including personal statement and/or experiences), or you discuss a different aspect of the experience. Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

2. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

3. What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of being a physician some day? How do you see yourself addressing this challenge? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

4. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? Please limit your response to 300 words or less.

@WedgeDawg

I had already posted them up there^^ lol

Can somebody pm me the link to the portal page please?
Something got screwed up jn my email, and the one with the link in it seems so have disappeared. Not showing up in my inbox, spam box, or trash box.

I'm trying to follow the link to the login page from my email, but the page isn't loading. Has anyone come across this issue or can anyone provide me with the link in case the one they sent doesn't work?

Can somebody pm me the link to the portal page please?
Something got screwed up jn my email, and the one with the link in it seems so have disappeared. Not showing up in my inbox, spam box, or trash box.

I'm trying to follow the link to the login page from my email, but the page isn't loading. Has anyone come across this issue or can anyone provide me with the link in case the one they sent doesn't work?

https://admissions.chm.msu.edu/Security/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Applicant/Default.aspx

Has anyone heard back from this school yet?

I had my app verified 7/17 and didn't receive a secondary yet. Do you guys think that they just passed over my app?

I had my app verified 7/17 and didn't receive a secondary yet. Do you guys think that they just passed over my app?

I got mine about a week after July 4th (verified around June 28th) but my friend got hers a week after me even though she was verified earlier. So maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got mine about a week after July 4th (verified around June 28th) but my friend got hers a week after me even though she was verified earlier. So maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks for the response! I really like this school. Hopefully I can get a secondary.

MSU sends a secondary to everyone that submits a primary. They don't screen. So if you don't get one in a timely manner, I would check your spam folder or ask them.

Oh that's good to know, thanks for the info! I'll shoot them an e-mail then.

I just contacted them and they said that they sent me an e-mail on 7/14 but I checked my inbox/spam and I never got it. They resent the app, now my secondary app will be late by a month unfortunately. :(

Does anyone else have an application status of hold? Mine says "Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made" .. so does this mean I didn't get an interview right away but also not quite a rejection?

Does anyone else have an application status of hold? Mine says "Your application has been reviewed and is on hold for comparison to the larger applicant pool. Your status will change after an interview decision is made" .. so does this mean I didn't get an interview right away but also not quite a rejection?
Nope. Still nothing here....
And yes, that's what that means.

Yes that what it means. Are you OOS, by chance?