2022-2023 Western Michigan (Stryker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @student479 for sharing this year's questions1

2022-2023 Western Michigan (Stryker) Secondary Essay Prompts (2000 character limit each)
  1. Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection that you have to Southwest Michigan.
  2. Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
  3. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the world in an unprecedented way. If COVID-19 impacted you, your academic plan, or your planned experiences, and you haven't noted elsewhere, please tell us about your unique circumstances.
  4. WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@wysdoc The secondary prompts are available on the website (under Step 2: Supplemental Application) and are as follows:

1. Describe why you wish to enroll at WMed. You should describe any connection that you have to Southwest Michigan.
  2. Describe what you bring to the practice of medicine - your values, skills, talents, and life experiences - and how you add to the cultural, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of the medical profession.
  3. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the world in an unprecedented way. If COVID-19 impacted you, your academic plan, or your planned experiences, and you haven't noted elsewhere, please tell us about your unique circumstances.
  4. WMed Re-Applicants Only: Describe the changes to your application from previous cycles - include academics, experiences, and/or personal attributes.
There is a 2,000 character limit for each prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
How long did it take for assessment to be sent out after submitting secondary's.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess that means people have received secondaries then?

Do you guys think it’s worth completing this secondary if I have ZERO ties to Michigan?

Do you guys think it’s worth completing this secondary if I have ZERO ties to Michigan?
If you have the opportunity and means to apply and are interested in their program, then I don't see why not! Although WMed, like most schools, admits more IS applicants that OOS, they have a ton of super unique program features that suit a wide array of applicants, regardless where they're from. They have two major hospital systems affiliates, Borgess and Bronson, in addition to other affiliates throughout the Southwest Michigan area that include both urban and suburban medicine; a clinical simulation center; impressive match list; and small class size, which allows their faculty to take the time to make sure your professional goals are met! An added bonus is that Bronson is essentially on campus, making travel time during clerkship years much more reasonable and giving you back time in your very busy med school schedule! You can find some of these features on their website, but I got most of this information from students who go there!

I think when it comes down to deciding whether or not to apply to any OOS school, apply to those that offer you the resources, opportunities, and and design that will make your medical school experience as meaningful as possible! At least that's what I'm trying to do 😅

If you have the opportunity and means to apply and are interested in their program, then I don't see why not! Although WMed, like most schools, admits more IS applicants that OOS, they have a ton of super unique program features that suit a wide array of applicants, regardless where they're from. They have two major hospital systems affiliates, Borgess and Bronson, in addition to other affiliates throughout the Southwest Michigan area that include both urban and suburban medicine; a clinical simulation center; impressive match list; and small class size, which allows their faculty to take the time to make sure your professional goals are met! An added bonus is that Bronson is essentially on campus, making travel time during clerkship years much more reasonable and giving you back time in your very busy med school schedule! You can find some of these features on their website, but I got most of this information from students who go there!

I think when it comes down to deciding whether or not to apply to any OOS school, apply to those that offer you the resources, opportunities, and and design that will make your medical school experience as meaningful as possible! At least that's what I'm trying to do 😅
Their MSAR explicitly states "We are a private school with no in-state preference" and the IS vs OOS II and A rate seems to back that up for the most part. I don't really have any ties to Michigan so I'm planning on using that prompt as a "why us"

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after submitting the essays until y'all got the assessment?

Anyone still not get the assessment? Maybe cause it’s the weekend or something

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone still without secondary? Verified 6/24

Anyone still not get the assessment? Maybe cause it’s the weekend or something
I submitted my secondary Friday afternoon and no assessment yet. Maybe they do a preliminary review of your app first?

NVM, speak of the devil it hit my inbox just now.
I submitted my secondary Friday afternoon and no assessment yet. Maybe they do a preliminary review of your app first?

Reactions: 1 users
Once you all finished the online assessment, how long did it take for the portal to update to complete?

Is this school more research or service oriented? I have 2 "why this school" secondary templates and I'm not sure which one to use.

Once you all finished the online assessment, how long did it take for the portal to update to complete?
I completed the assessment this morning and was marked complete shortly after. Seems like they manually review each app though.

I completed the secondary on monday, received and completed the assessment tuesday, and my portal is still not marked complete... :(

Notified that my app has been moved into the "experiences review" step of the application process this morning.

how long after completing the assessment did anyone's status change to complete?

how long after completing the assessment did anyone's status change to complete?
i took mine on 7/19 and my status hasn't changed to complete. I emailed them and they said it takes time for the assessment to be marked complete. they didn't specify how long it would take though :/

i took mine on 7/19 and my status hasn't changed to complete. I emailed them and they said it takes time for the assessment to be marked complete. they didn't specify how long it would take though :/
oh okay, thanks for letting me know!

First R.... Pre-secondary. :cryi: Good luck to everyone else!

T
I didn’t realized they screened. Was it due to not having connections to SW Michigan?
I believe they screen for a 3.0 GPA.

"After an initial review, candidates who have earned a 3.0 GPA are invited via email to complete our supplemental application."

Accidentally double-clicked on the "next" button during the assessment and it skipped a question smh...T.T

Got notified my application is moving on to be considered for a phone interview!

I took my online assesment on 7/19 and the portal still hasnt updated to show that I completed the assesmment

For those with IIs, are you all MI residents?

I don’t think they’ve given out interviews yet, unless you’re asking people from previous cycles?
Oops yeah, that’s not what I meant. I was just referring to those to received the notification that their app was considered for a phone interview.

Okay nvm, just got it as well. Seems like they work on and send out application updates throughout the day and not right at once

for the phone interview notification peeps, when were yall complete?