2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a really sinking feeling right now. I've been waitlisted literally everywhere except one place. I'm now convinced I'm a terrible interviewer and that means Mayo isn't going to accept me either
Ya but you really like the one place you did get accepted to. Also for what it's worth. I've been waitlisted everywhere but one place as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a really sinking feeling right now. I've been waitlisted literally everywhere except one place. I'm now convinced I'm a terrible interviewer and that means Mayo isn't going to accept me either
Doesn't mean you are a terrible interviewer; could also mean that you are just losing the roll of the dice game- that is often the case with admissions once you are one interviewed applicant out of 650+ students- at many places. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're missing a key part in all of this. "Except one."

Ya know what that means? You're gonna become a physician you sexy man you.

60% of applicants would kill to be in your shoes. Perspective, while sometimes difficult, goes a long way.

All hail Dr. UNMedGa, MD. Proving that ratios can go **** themselves cause he's got the one that matters.

Reactions: 13 users
I'm in class and just got a call from AZ even though I applied MN... this better not be spam...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Time just became a whole lot slower.

Congrats!!!!

and so it begins

Hooorraaaayyy!!!!!! When did you interview again? Also did they tell you anything about financial aid?

Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations!!!! :clap:

Thanks guys! @Quaper I interviewed the Monday of Thanksgiving week. They told me that as long as I filled out my FAFSA, if I qualify for a scholarship, I should hear from them (via paper mail, I believe) in 7-10 days. Otherwise, I would get an email soon with details. I have 2 weeks to accept the seat in writing with $100 deposit.

Thanks guys! @Quaper I interviewed the Monday of Thanksgiving week. They told me that as long as I filled out my FAFSA, if I qualify for a scholarship, I should hear from them (via paper mail, I believe) in 7-10 days. Otherwise, I would get an email soon with details. I have 2 weeks to accept the seat in writing with $100 deposit.
Ahhh I want them to tell me that stuff toooo!

Oh dang it. My hopes are much less now.
bruh
n = 1

do u even stats??????

but yah I'm just here waiting for data to come in and make a plot for yall

Reactions: 4 users
congrats!! was it your interviewer or admissions who called you?

Do they usually finish all the calls in the same day?

Just for everyone's knowledge in the AZ forum there have been 2 acceptances and 1 of them got a likely letter while the other had no communication. That one interviewed last month though so take that for what it's worth.

Usually they do rolling admissions, so no one has any idea.
Oh yeah :S
Though they have around 50 spots at this school. I don't think it'd be too hard to call all of them.

Oh yeah :S
Though they have around 50 spots at this school. I don't think it'd be too hard to call all of them.
My thoughts as well. Someone will just have to call them tomorrow or the next day to be sure. Last I called though they said they would send out waitlists once all the acceptances have been sent out.

My thoughts as well. Someone will just have to call them tomorrow or the next day to be sure. Last I called though they said they would send out waitlists once all the acceptances have been sent out.

I think expecting them to fill their entire class in one afternoon is unrealistic. I wouldn't even expect it full in one week. They have no reason to rush but a lot of incentive to pace themselves and make sure they select the right students. That's definitely their style. Lots of their matriculants will come off the waitlist and most of that movement is months away anyways.

Could humans call 50 people in an afternoon, well sure. Do they want to or should they? Probs not.

Deep breaths, yo.

Reactions: 2 users
I think expecting them to fill their entire class in one afternoon is unrealistic. I wouldn't even expect it full in one week. They have no reason to rush but a lot of incentive to pace themselves and make sure they select the right students. That's definitely their style. Lots of their matriculants will come off the waitlist and most of that movement is months away anyways.

Could humans call 50 people in an afternoon, well sure. Do they want to or should they? Probs not.

Deep breaths, yo.

27cdc24ba63b54fba7c111b3fc863fadd072abd077623a58ea4f86d83aad5c3a.jpg

Reactions: 18 users

Usually interviewers are the ones who make the call. Many are practicing physicians/surgeons, so it will depend on their schedules.

Usually interviewers are the ones who make the call. Many are practicing physicians/surgeons, so it will depend on their schedules.
Any idea if student interviewers ever make the call. I had one student interviewer and one who was a retired physician.

Just got the call from my interviewer!!!! What?! Got the "likely letter" a couple weeks ago, after sending in a letter of interest. Congrats and good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 7 users
So... Total number of likely letters sent:

<50
>50
=50

?

I'd guess less than 50. I imagine there would be a group of maybe 25 (arbitrary guess) applicants they know they will accept. The 25-50 "rankings" may shift during the interview season, so it's possible they don't want to send letters out prematurely.

Is the likely letter that people got recently the one that asked us to fill out FAFSA?

Just got the call from my interviewer!!!! What?! Got the "likely letter" a couple weeks ago, after sending in a letter of interest. Congrats and good luck to everyone!!

Congratulations! Just a quick question... did you mean that you got the "deliberations" email from early January or one of the "likely" letters that was in the mail? I read your old posts and it seems that you said you got the deliberations email but not the likely letter.