2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He/she probably withdrew his/her acceptance
Gotcha. To me, "about" suggests temporal proximity...
as if they purported to have some insider knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

I was awarded a 100% tuition scholarship with a very low EFC.

wow, very valuable info. Was yours also not guaranteed for all four years like others have posted? idk how you'd know, but my EFC is <1000, do you think it might be low enough such that they don't reduce my aid in later years?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, very valuable info. Was yours also not guaranteed for all four years like others have posted? idk how you'd know, but my EFC is <1000, do you think it might be low enough such that they don't reduce my aid in later years?

Current Mayo med student here. When I was accepted, I was told that while they don't guarantee the same aid each year, it basically stays the same. This was what multiple students told me had been their experience. Mayo really does care about keeping average debt low for us and the administration is committed to this. I'll admit I was still a little worried about what my financial aid package would be for this next year with the AZ campus opening up, as I wasn't sure if there would be less aid. I recently got my financial aid package for next year and it is exactly the same as it was this year. at this point I definitely don't have any more concerns about my aid changing much in later years.

Reactions: 1 users
May is finally here! Hopefully we are all blessed with movement and acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
MN had what looks like 2 people accepted off of the waitlist today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Multiple waitlist acceptances reported yesterday for MN... wonder which of the following are delaying AZ:

1) just haven't had a meeting yet, so acceptances haven't begun;

2) acceptances have begun, but none to SDN users (or at least not an SDN user that is posting); or

3) very little waitlist movement on traffic day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Multiple waitlist acceptances reported yesterday for MN... wonder which of the following are delaying AZ:

1) just haven't had a meeting yet, so acceptances haven't begun;

2) acceptances have begun, but none to SDN users (or at least not an SDN user that is posting); or

3) very little waitlist movement on traffic day.

As a follow up: I have been privately provided information from a reliable source (to remain anonymous) that there was at least one acceptance off the AZ waitlist that occurred yesterday (congrats to the lucky person/people).

Was accepted off the WL at MN about 40 mins ago! Super thrilled! Will be pulling my WL position at the AZ campus today. Hope to see some of you during rotations

Reactions: 3 users
Is the waitlist hopeless at this point? Doesn't seem like there has been much if any movement

Is the waitlist hopeless at this point? Doesn't seem like there has been much if any movement

Hopeless, no. But it's not looking good. A few students that have been accepted at Mayo may get pulled off of other waitlist (for schools that they'd prefer) over the next two month, but it will be few and far between.

Hopeless, no. But it's not looking good. A few students that have been accepted at Mayo may get pulled off of other waitlist (for schools that they'd prefer) over the next two month, but it will be few and far between.

So do you think it's pretty certain that the initial waitlist movement that occurs after the multiple acceptances deadline is over?

So do you think it's pretty certain that the initial waitlist movement that occurs after the multiple acceptances deadline is over?

I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances (which I assume are much fewer than the initial acceptances). Additionally, I believe many of the waitlist decisions were made prior to the April 30/May 1 deadline, as they were sending out "interest inquiry" e-mails to certain waitlisted applicants. Not trying to be negative, but my guess is that they are done with the "initial waive" of waitlist acceptances.

I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances

Wasn't that for Minnesota? AZ and MN have completely separate admissions committees? I haven't heard of any movement yet at AZ.

I have no inside knowledge, but it took two days to give out all of the initial acceptances a few months back. They started giving out waitlist acceptances on Tuesday of this week, so they've had four days to give out waitlist acceptances (which I assume are much fewer than the initial acceptances). Additionally, I believe many of the waitlist decisions were made prior to the April 30/May 1 deadline, as they were sending out "interest inquiry" e-mails to certain waitlisted applicants. Not trying to be negative, but my guess is that they are done with the "initial waive" of waitlist acceptances.

It does seem like there may be less waitlist movement at Mayo than in previous years. I remember some people on SDN hypothesizing that there would be a lot of waitlist movement at the AZ campus given that it's a new campus, people were thinking more people who were accepted here would give up their spots for other schools, but that does not seem to have been the case. There were a ton of people who went to second look in AZ and it seemed like most were committed to coming to Mayo. I know this is a bummer for people on the waitlist and I'm sure there will still be some more acceptances, but overall I think this speaks to all this campus has to offer and negates the predictions made by some naysayers. There are people I met who were accepted to top 10 programs and chose Mayo AZ, again I think this speaks to the strength of this campus and how successful it will be.

Interesting. I contacted the school yesterday and they mentioned to me that there has been no movement at all from the waitlist since May 1st.

Interesting. I contacted the school yesterday and they mentioned to me that there has been no movement at all from the waitlist since May 1st.

Hope this is true (although I know of at least 1 AZ waitlist acceptance from Tuesday and 3 MN waitlist acceptances). But since this is it, maybe Mayo hasn't done its initial "wave" yet.

As indicated above, I have no inside information. The one thing I've learned from this cycle is that soon after you think you've figured something out about the admissions process, you find out you were wrong.

So that means there has been at least some waitlist movement, and they currently are at capacity regarding seats?

So that means there has been at least some waitlist movement, and they currently are at capacity regarding seats?
They were vague as to the specifics, but there appears to be some holdup/backlog that has been preventing them from making movements on the waitlist. I didn't want to probe much further.

This is all the information I was given. It was made clear to me when I contacted them earlier that they don't know whether the waitlist will trickle throughout the month or whether it will happen in one big batch. They are a new campus with an adcom independent from the MN one. Predictions on how many students they should move off the waitlist are likely difficult.

They were vague as to the specifics, but there appears to be some holdup/backlog that has been preventing them from making movements on the waitlist. I didn't want to probe much further.

This is all the information I was given. It was made clear to me when I contacted them earlier that they don't know whether the waitlist will trickle throughout the month or whether it will happen in one big batch. They are a new campus with an adcom independent from the MN one. Predictions on how many students they should move off the waitlist are likely difficult.
I really appreciate you. Seriously. Thanks for calling in so we all didn't have to.

Happy
ImageUploadedBySDN1494031321.490080.jpg

I called today and they told me the same thing. They were so nice about it though haha. Congrats to those who were accepted!

The position they are in is "hold". They have to have 50 students. So whenever one gets called off the waitlist for another school and drops, they will add 1. Until the day class starts July 17.

Called today as well. Can confirm the above about class being full.
Seems like the school has a pretty large waitlist. With it being a new campus, I'd assume they were anticipating more people declining acceptances./

I was accepted last week off the waitlist!

For future reference, I did receive a "likely" letter after my interview, but received no other form of communication (email or anything) inquiring about my interest in the school. I sent one letter of interest sometime before decisions came out, but I never sent anything after my WL decision and I never sent a letter of intent. They still offer scholarship even when pulled from the waitlist, and they provided me that information before I had to make a decision. They gave me one week to decide. They were super helpful in answering any questions I had, and I could tell that they put a lot of thought and time into each applicant.

I am so excited to start this summer at Mayo! Like mentioned above, they told me that there had been very little waitlist movement, and that the majority of students they initially accepted chose to stay with Mayo.

I was accepted last week off the waitlist!

For future reference, I did receive a "likely" letter after my interview, but received no other form of communication (email or anything) inquiring about my interest in the school. I sent one letter of interest sometime before decisions came out, but I never sent anything after my WL decision and I never sent a letter of intent. They still offer scholarship even when pulled from the waitlist, and they provided me that information before I had to make a decision. They gave me one week to decide. They were super helpful in answering any questions I had, and I could tell that they put a lot of thought and time into each applicant.

I am so excited to start this summer at Mayo! Like mentioned above, they told me that there had been very little waitlist movement, and that the majority of students they initially accepted chose to stay with Mayo.

Congratulations!! :clap: