2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some info for people wondering about how second look weekend went.

-There were 36 students there (for reference Mayo MN had 20 show up at their second look).
-Almost everyone I spoke to is either set on Mayo AZ or heavily leaning in that direction.
-The faculty and staff were all incredibly excited to have us there. Everyone knows all the students by name, I can't begin to count how many times I was greeted by a dean, administrator, or faculty member by name.
-We received a tour of the Phoenix Children's, as well as a free clinic where students will be working during their second year.
-There were several 2nd-4th year medical students in Arizona to answer questions and participate in a formal Q&A Panel (The panel included a teleconference with some MS1s and upper class students in MN as well).
-The match list for this cycle is seriously impressive.
-Everyone there for the second look weekend seemed to get along very well.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If there are questions I'll be happy to answer them, but I will not disclose any specific info (especially match list wise).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

-There were 36 students there (for reference Mayo MN had 20 show up at their second look).
-Almost everyone I spoke to is either set on Mayo AZ or heavily leaning in that direction.
-The faculty and staff were all incredibly excited to have us there. Everyone knows all the students by name, I can't begin to count how many times I was greeted by a dean, administrator, or faculty member by name.
-We received a tour of the Phoenix Children's, as well as a free clinic where students will be working during their second year.
-There were several 2nd-4th year medical students in Arizona to answer questions and participate in a formal Q&A Panel (The panel included a teleconference with some MS1s and upper class students in MN as well).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If there are questions I'll be happy to answer them, but I will not disclose any specific info (especially match list wise).
So I am going to assume odds are not great for those of us on the WL unfortunately :(
Thanks for the recap! Did they mention that they will be offering laptops? I heard that MN does this, and was curious if it will carry over now that the student body is essentially larger

So I am going to assume odds are not great for those of us on the WL unfortunately :(
Thanks for the recap! Did they mention that they will be offering laptops? I heard that MN does this, and was curious if it will carry over now that the student body is essentially larger

Yes, laptops are still given to students.

Reactions: 1 users
When are we going to see some wait list action??! Any takers? Will some magic happen in the near future, or are we all going to have to wait until May??

Reactions: 1 user

It's going to be an awesome class! I can also confirm the match list from this year was amazing. For people who want to get an idea I would check out the med school instagram account - MayoClinicSOM - there's a photo on there of the map of where students matched.

Good luck guys! Certainly some people who got acceptances aren't going, and I don't think Mayo is one of the schools that piles up a giant wait list.

Yes I'm sure there will be some movement. I'm just not convinced we'll have the amount we were all expecting/hoping. At any rate, thanks for the support and fingers crossed!
Did you ultimately commit to coming here? It's been super quiet on this thread since D-Day(s).
Good luck guys! Certainly some people who got acceptances aren't going, and I don't think Mayo is one of the schools that piles up a giant wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew last week so there's at least one open spot. Please let me know if you get off the waitlist so I know who to cheer for.

Reactions: 8 users
Lolo nerd. Anyone on the waitlist get an email? ;)
I have not. However, I noticed alternate listed Mn kids got emails (well...one was reported). Did you get such an email?

I received one. It would be nice to know how many are out there. Perhaps those who got the email, but are a little shy on here, would feel more comfortable sending me a private message. I'll do a tally and keep your sdn name confidential.

I received one. It would be nice to know how many are out there. Perhaps those who got the email, but are a little shy on here, would feel more comfortable sending me a private message. I'll do a tally and keep your sdn name confidential.
Congrats! I have 2 questions for you:
(1) Is it the typical one we have heard of from previous years (i.e. we place you highly on our list, we accept letters of intent, etc...)
(2) Had you already communicated with Mayo AZ recently post alternate list?

Congrats! I have 2 questions for you:
(1) Is it the typical one we have heard of from previous years (i.e. we place you highly on our list, we accept letters of intent, etc...)
(2) Had you already communicated with Mayo AZ recently post alternate list?
Thank you. 1) no. 2) yes. However, I'd prefer not to discuss the specifics of my situation.

Keep in mind ppl got accepted off WL without email last year.

Keep in mind ppl got accepted off WL without email last year.
Would someone mind giving a more qualitative description of this letter for those of us who didn't receive? It sounds like it's not the same kind of letter minnesota kids received

Yay, an email from Mayo. Oh wait, just stuff that I need to do just in case I'm lucky and get off WL. :eek:

Can some assumptions be made based on the alternate list preparation email?
Especially since it appears that Minnesota students haven't received a similar email?

Can some assumptions be made based on the alternate list preparation email?
Especially since it appears that Minnesota students haven't received a similar email?
I wonder the same...maybe this email does not say who exactly is being taken off. But maybe it indicates that the movement will, in fact, be greater in Arizona. Perhaps this "courtesy" email is preparing for a flood of new acceptances that will have to be processed relatively quickly.

I wonder the same...maybe this email does not say who exactly is being taken off. But maybe it indicates that the movement will, in fact, be greater in Arizona. Perhaps this "courtesy" email is preparing for a flood of new acceptances that will have to be processed relatively quickly.

Blind conjecture is a wonderful thing. :)

I didn't accept the alternate list spot and still received the preparation email..

Someone on the waitlist is about to receive a very nice call from admissions.
Good luck!

Reactions: 6 users