2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got the waitlist email 10 minutes ago, so there’s still hope.

Members don't see this ad.

+1 to the waitlist. Interesting that they're staggering the emails. Sent a letter of interest in November, letter of intent in January. No personalized post-II communication from anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
WL (or alternate list), no post II communication at all!

Received WL this morning, sent LOI, no post interview communication. What’s everyone’s plan moving forward? I’m struggling with the idea of waiting here while putting other plans on hold (signing a lease for a different school etc.) and then still not getting in

Received WL this morning, sent LOI, no post interview communication. What’s everyone’s plan moving forward? I’m struggling with the idea of waiting here while putting other plans on hold (signing a lease for a different school etc.) and then still not getting in
I’m waiting till I get financial aid information from other schools. After that point I’m out ✌🏽

Reactions: 1 user
I’m waiting till I get financial aid information from other schools. After that point I’m out ✌🏽
+1
+1 to the waitlist. Interesting that they're staggering the emails. Sent a letter of interest in November, letter of intent in January. No personalized post-II communication from anyone.
+1 here, literally same timeline of LOinterest LOintent, no personalized communication after the interview

• Care
WL. No LOInterest/Intent sent. No post II communications. Declining WL offer. Best of luck to everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how receptive Mayo is to matching scholarship offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
+4 alt list just now. No post-II communication. Sent letter of interest.

what's up with the staggered responses for emails - anyone know what's up with that? Just making the list as they go?

+5 for the alt list, does anyone have a rough idea of how much WL movement there usually is here?

If we are WLd, it is safe to assume that we have no shot at any 2+2 programs right?

If we are WLd, it is safe to assume that we have no shot at any 2+2 programs right?
My student interviewer was waitlisted and got into the 2+2 program

Does anyone have any intel on if Mayo is true P/F? I heard a rumor that they have internal rankings, but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.
Preclerkship years are true P/F. Ranking starts with clerkships

Edit: And even then, it's just quartile

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if anyone knew when the admissions committee will meet together to decide who on the waitlist to offer acceptances to. Will they do it this month or wait till April/May?

Hi y'all! Just a quick request to ask your questions here on a public forum whenever possible! I love answering your DMs, and genuinely love that you're excited about our school, but I do get a lot of questions that are pretty similar!

Obviously, I'm fine with you dming me if your question hinges on revealing potentially identifying info or is super specific to your situation, but otherwise, please keep them on here so that others can benefit! :)

An additional caveat is that I'm not an admissions expert, nor do I have any involvement whatsoever with Mayo's adcom. None of the M1s are allowed to be involved in admissions, outside of hosting the welcome sessions. I have no clue what goes through their minds, so the best I can do is share what I felt like worked/didn't work in my application cycle from my own perspective.

Also, please remember that we provided you with a list of current Mayo students to contact if you had any questions! If anonymity isn't a concern, I would also recommend that you use that resource.

I wish you all the best of luck. The waiting game is the worst, but please hang in there. Big waitlist movement likely won't happen for another month or so.

Additional Mayo fam on here, please add anything as you see fit :)

Fellow Mayo M1 here - Agree with FluffyCat1212.

Happy to answer any questions you may have about Mayo, Rochester, etc. Waitlist will not move until May 1st, if previous trends hold, so please do not get discouraged! Send your updates, thank yous, and letters of intent if applicable.

Best of luck - I'm rooting for all of you!

Happy to answer any questions you may have about Mayo, Rochester, etc. Waitlist will not move until May 1st, if previous trends hold, so please do not get discouraged! Send your updates, thank yous, and letters of intent if applicable.

Does most of the movement on the waitlist occur in may or June? Thanks for the info!

Does most of the movement on the waitlist occur in may or June? Thanks for the info!
Current student here. Waitlist movement at Mayo starts in May, after the April 30th deadline. With that being said, waitlist offers can come out even later (e.g., in Mid June). It all depends on the position availability for that cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got an email reminding me to confirm my alternate list spot... I thought I had hit submit but I guess I only hit save. Given that the original email said to confirm with 14 days and we're nearly a month out, is this an issue?

I just got an email reminding me to confirm my alternate list spot... I thought I had hit submit but I guess I only hit save. Given that the original email said to confirm with 14 days and we're nearly a month out, is this an issue?
Sounds like they are giving you the chance to make it right

Sounds like they are giving you the chance to make it right
Indeed. I went ahead and smashed that submit button right away, but I hope Mayo doesn't take it as not being interested in the program 🤞

Got a question about car dependence in Rochester:

Can Mayo students live comfortably & realistically in Rochester without a car?

I don't have much interest in going to Minneapolis so that won't be an issue, but can students realistically get groceries, haircut, dry cleaning, go to restaurants, etc. without a car in Rochester? Is biking an option (even during winter?)

I don't have much interest in going to Minneapolis so that won't be an issue, but can students realistically get groceries, haircut, dry cleaning, go to restaurants, etc. without a car in Rochester? Is biking an option (even during winter?)
There won’t be public transport so you will want to have a car. You can bike around in spring/summer when it’s tolerable.

** see the post below mine- It's been a long time since I visited Rochester & it's good to see things have built up with public transport.

Last edited:

Rochester actually has a pretty robust public busing system between the city and Mayo's own routes (which you can access for free as a student).

Additionally, there are numerous bike trails crossing the city and the downtown area has a fair amount of biking infrastucture (dedicated lanes and racks). I have a classmate that has consistently biked (fat-tire) all winter - we get a lot of snow but the city is pretty proactive about road clearance.

I would say its possible to live without a car dependent on your housing location with relation to the clinic and school. Downtown or near the St. Mary's campus would be much more amenable to this. You may still need to ride-share or Uber for some shopping or eating options. That said, access to a car would certainly make your life a lot easier.

Reactions: 3 users

If you live next to St. Mary's (like many m3 and m4s cause who doesn't want to sleep as much as possible before pre-pre-rounding) you'll have access to restaurants, a decent grocery store (Fresh Thyme - $5 for 10 sushi rolls on Thursdays!), and a Mayo shuttle that takes you Downtown (even more restaurants). Dry cleaners and Hy-Vee (think Walmart grocery store) aren't that far either (< 1 mile). Probably half of people come in without a car. For the rest...well, you'll have your classmates.

Whether you can bike during the winter is up to you and your grit. Fortunately, the city has taken to putting in bike lanes on all major roads. Said roads are often plowed of snow first.

Question about financial aid- did y'all have to submit any tax docs or anything? other schools are having me do this, with the exception of Mayo, and I'm scared I missed an email lol.

Question about financial aid- did y'all have to submit any tax docs or anything? other schools are having me do this, with the exception of Mayo, and I'm scared I missed an email lol.
No I only sent FAFSA and the Mayo finaid application. No tax doc

• Love
No I only sent FAFSA and the Mayo finaid application. No tax doc
What is their application? I do not recall it being mentioned at the interview welcome sessions.

Does anyone know if Mayo's Financial Aid Office matches financial aid packages offered at other institutions? I am looking forward to negotiating my financial aid package. For a bit of context on my situation: Low income (Annual family income <$15 k), LM 70, URM. Financial aid awarded: MCASOM Scholarship $45k (Which they explicitly state was determined using MCAT, GPA, and FAFSA). Mayo's COA is ~$97k. On the other hand, I have received full tuition and near full-ride scholarships from other medical schools. If someone can provide some guidance as to whether it is worth negotiating or if someone has done this in the past that can provide some insight, please let me know. Thank you!

Does anyone know if Mayo's Financial Aid Office matches financial aid packages offered at other institutions? I am looking forward to negotiating my financial aid package. For a bit of context on my situation: Low income (Annual family income <$15 k), LM 70, URM. Financial aid awarded: MCASOM Scholarship $45k (Which they explicitly state was determined using MCAT, GPA, and FAFSA). Mayo's COA is ~$97k. On the other hand, I have received full tuition and near full-ride scholarships from other medical schools. If someone can provide some guidance as to whether it is worth negotiating or if someone has done this in the past that can provide some insight, please let me know. Thank you!
Short answer: It depends. No reason to not ask. Most you can get is full-tuition.

Edit: Mayo COA is not acutally $97K. That number is the most you could theoretically take out in loans. The estimates are pretty generous (to your advantage). Realistically, COA is more like $80 - 85K. Of course, it could be higher if you choose to live in the Berkman (luxury building across the street from St. Mary's) and spend all of your selective time traveling to far off locations (which I would respect).

Last edited:

So I talked to one of the Mayo FinAid office ppl and I'm in a similar situation as yours. Not URM, but from a very low income environment (EFC: 0), LM 80, and got full tuition offer initially. I have received full CoA from other T10/T20 schools, but Mayo FinAid said that they do sometimes match scholarship offers, but the highest they will ever go is up to full tuition, so mentioning full CoA from other schools didn't really work. It is definitely worth negotiating, but just so you know, full tuition (62k/yr) is their max.

Mayo has been the dream school of mine this cycle due to its unique environment and culture, but now I'm struggling to determine if Mayo experience/network/reputation would be worth the price tag of 80k~100k total loan for 4 year over other T20s with no debt...

So I talked to one of the Mayo FinAid office ppl and I'm in a similar situation as yours. Not URM, but from a very low income environment (EFC: 0), LM 80, and got full tuition offer initially. I have received full CoA from other T10/T20 schools, but Mayo FinAid said that they do sometimes match scholarship offers, but the highest they will ever go is up to full tuition, so mentioning full CoA from other schools didn't really work. It is definitely worth negotiating, but just so you know, full tuition (62k/yr) is their max.

Mayo has been the dream school of mine this cycle due to its unique environment and culture, but now I'm struggling to determine if Mayo experience/network/reputation would be worth the price tag of 80k~100k total loan for 4 year over other T20s with no debt...
Obligatory disclosure that I’m on the Mayo WL, but if I had the chance to go somewhere with full CoA, I would probably jump to it in a heartbeat! But it definitely of course depends on your unique situation and what you value in a school, so good luck making your decision!

Hi! Mayo hopeful here. Any nontrads/applicants with limited research experience get accepted to MN recently?

If the Facebook group already has 112 group for the Minnesota and 87 for Arizona, do you think there won't be much waitlist movement this year? Based on previous thread, there were only around 40 people in the FB groups during this time...

If the Facebook group already has 112 group for the Minnesota and 87 for Arizona, do you think there won't be much waitlist movement this year? Based on previous thread, there were only around 40 people in the FB groups during this time...
Probably more current students in the group than previously…atleast I hope 🥲🤞🏽

Many of the current M1s (and I think even some M2s) are also in the group, so the numbers are probably a bit deceiving. Remember also that you're probably not going to see a ton of waitlist movement until after the CTE deadline.

I noticed on last year's forum that some applicants on waitlist received an interest-gauging email from Mayo. Has anyone received one yet?

I noticed on last year's forum that some applicants on waitlist received an interest-gauging email from Mayo. Have they sent them out yet?
Not sure about others, but I have received these emails in the past 2 weeks!