2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Rochester (Alix)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the same phone call a couple hours ago. I agree with you 100%. Why do we gotta keep going with the hypotheticals??
Yeah the interest gauging calls are hilarious. They said if we can potentially offer half a ride would I accept. Why does a school like MAYO have to do this? Why not just accept who you want and let the student decide if they want to come or not??? Very weird tbh.

Probably because they want to have a settled class. At this stage, offering a spot to someone who isn’t likely to come is a waste of time.

If a spot goes to someone who later decides Mayo isn’t for them, then it’s a scramble —both for the committee and the person who now comes out the waitlist but had been prepared to go elsewhere.

All admissions committees want to have their class set as early as possible. If you aren’t prepared to attend a school (pending appropriate financial aid) if you come off their waitlist then you should probably withdraw. I know this can be easier said than done. I myself was a completionist (waited for Einstein far longer than I should’ve. In my heart of hearts, I knew I wasn’t going there.)

Applying to med school is a stressful ordeal. Many of you have landed in a strong position. The limbo of a waitlist can be frustrating. Remember that your every committee consists of people who are doing their honest best to craft a stellar class.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Gauging interest and asking for firm commitment is different. I can understand literal interest gauging but who do they think that they ask you to commit even before they give out acceptances? That's what most people are criticizing here.

Also, those kinds of emails/phone calls are also waste of time and annoying for applicants. Again, Mayo seems to be extremely Mayo-centric and thinks applicants are just beggers.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably because they want to have a settled class. At this stage, offering a spot to someone who isn’t likely to come is a waste of time.

If a spot goes to someone who later decides Mayo isn’t for them, then it’s a scramble —both for the committee and the person who now comes out the waitlist but had been prepared to go elsewhere.

All admissions committees want to have their class set as early as possible. If you aren’t prepared to attend a school (pending appropriate financial aid) if you come off their waitlist then you should probably withdraw. I know this can be easier said than done. I myself was a completionist (waited for Einstein far longer than I should’ve. In my heart of hearts, I knew I wasn’t going there.)

Applying to med school is a stressful ordeal. Many of you have landed in a strong position. The limbo of a waitlist can be frustrating. Remember that your every committee consists of people who are doing their honest best to craft a stellar class.
I totally get that. I already withdrew my app from multiple alternate lists that I wasn’t seriously considering, so all I have left is Mayo’s waitlist spot and my top choice acceptance. I’ve stated multiple times to the committee that I would most likely commit if they offered the same or better financial aid than my current acceptance. The thing that bothers me is that I have many friends who got off waitlist spots at other schools after May 2nd and they all received an acceptance + financial aid without needing to commit on the spot during an interest gauging phone call without an official acceptance and financial aid offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get both an email and text regarding interest? I only got a text followed by 2 update calls regarding my interested. I never received a formal email in this regard and am curious if anyone else had this experience.

So, does it seem like Mayo has basically called waitlist folks but not offered any waitlist acceptances? With the exception of the 1 person who posted about getting into the 2+2 program. Or have people been getting off the waitlist but just not posting about it? If this is the case, this seems very different from past years.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else feel like Mayo is just effing with us with these interest gauging phone calls lmao

Reactions: 1 user