2016-2017 Mayo Medical School (MN) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't see a reply to this? Is there a group? I'm definitely planning to accept my offer here, and am looking for info about moving to Rochester and finding potential roommates, etc. So excited!

I'm not sure what's on the fb group but if you have questions about moving, I would email admissions. They were really helpful when I was moving with putting me in contact with people to talk to.

Members don't see this ad.

JUST GOT ACCEPTED!!! Got the call from Dr. Fischer just now! I received the interest email from Dr. Bostwick a couple weeks ago. I am so excited to attend Mayo Clinic School of Medicine!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Just committed today :) look forward to seeing you guys in July!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received the acceptance call yesterday at around 6pm EST!!! Received no "likely letter" from Jan - April, sent a letter of intent in March, and received an email from Dr. Bostwick at the end of April asking if I was still interested in Mayo.

So excited to go to school here!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Received the acceptance call yesterday at around 6pm EST!!! Received no "likely letter" from Jan - April, sent a letter of intent in March, and received an email from Dr. Bostwick at the end of April asking if I was still interested in Mayo.

So excited to go to school here!! :)

Congrats!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just recently got into mayo can anyone send me the match list from second look or post the full list year it would be greatly appreciated!! I am making decisions between what school to select and it would be very helpful!
Sorry, I don't have the match list, but could you tell us when you were accepted and if you got correspondence before then?

Hey guys! I just recently got into mayo can anyone send me the match list from second look or post the full list year it would be greatly appreciated!! I am making decisions between what school to select and it would be very helpful!

Congrats! If you'd like a copy of the match list, I'd just email admissions and ask. They don't explicitly post it on the med school website, but they did post where people matched on instagram and twitter this year. If you just go back a bit on instagram to find the photo of the map where people matched, it lists the programs in the caption - Mayo Clinic School of Medicine (@mayoclinicsom) • Instagram photos and videos

Also in making decisions between schools, if you want to get a better feel for student life at Mayo I'd recommend the med school blog - mayomedicalschoolblog.mayo.edu

This is also another great blog by a current 1st year at Mayo who has written about her experiences in med school - All blog posts

Last edited:
I was committed to HMS and then got pulled off the WL to Mayo. I'm pretty torn but I feel as if I would enjoy what Mayo has to offer more. However, of course the biggest con people point out is Rochester... Not sure if I'm a fool to be willing to give up Boston. Any thoughts on this guys? Any current students on here that had to struggle with a similar dilemma?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was committed to HMS and then got pulled off the WL to Mayo. I'm pretty torn but I feel as if I would enjoy what Mayo has to offer more. However, of course the biggest con people point out is Rochester... Not sure if I'm a fool to be willing to give up Boston. Any thoughts on this guys? Any current students on here that had to struggle with a similar dilemma?

Disclosure: I will be enrolling at Mayo this Summer.

Come join us!!! All joking aside though, you should think long and hard about your decision. It took me quite a bit to make up my mind. Maybe financial aid packages can become an important part of your decision?

I also suggest thinking back on how you felt on interview day at both places. It helped me make my choice a lot easier.

As far a Rochester goes, I'm kind of excited to be living there. Though it's no Boston, it seems like there's quite a bit of cool stuff to do in the city ( see this blog post for example New Yorkers move to Rochester, Minnesota) Plus we get access to amazing facilities and an awesome gym.

I don't know how it works at HMS, but selectives were a big drawing point for me at Mayo as well. If you want to PM me and talk, feel welcome to. I know making decisions like these is the worst. But a great problem to have.

Reactions: 1 users

Congrats on getting accepted! It's a tough decision to make for sure, but I will say that I am very happy I chose Mayo. Many of my classmates gave up Boston, San Francisco, NYC and other awesome cities to come here because Mayo is amazing. I honestly haven't met anyone who regrets coming to Mayo. Also, Rochester is not a bad place to live and actually it recently has been included on a lot of lists of the best places to live. Here's one example - Why Rochester, MN is a Top 100 Best Place to Live - Livability

I consider myself more of a big city type of person and had never lived in the Midwest, so I did have concerns about Rochester when making my decision. That said I don't dislike living in Rochester and I'm very happy at Mayo so it has absolutely been worth it for me. Rochester has also changed a lot in the last few years and continues to grow with all the money being put into developing it as part of the Destination Medical Center project.

If you have time I'd check out the med school blog as there are some posts there from students about moving to Rochester and life as a Mayo med student - New Yorkers move to Rochester, Minnesota

Good luck with your decision and feel free to message me if you want to talk more!

I second all said by E4357 above-- I'll also be joining Mayo this summer, after being pulled off the waitlist and weighing it heavily against my other school option (for which I was already steps deep into a big move with my S.O).

I ultimately chose Mayo because I wanted to be surrounded by a very positive, patient-centric culture for my first several years in medicine, at least, and try and bring that culture with me wherever I go next. I loved my interview day and connected well with my interviewers, fellow interviewees and current students. Cheesy as it might sound, everyone felt like family. Plus, the opportunity for selectives means I can regularly go back and visit my S.O and family prn

Rochester, while small, is still a fairly lively place. It has all the usual shops (Targets, Walmarts, Costco etc), lots of greenery and lakes (Silver Lake, a couple blocks from Mayo, is absolutely beautiful). Cost of living is great, public transport to Mayo is fantastic, and the city itself was ranked #1 most livable in the country, FWIW. And if there's ever a shortage of things to do, there's that amazing gym where I anticipate I'll be spending most of my time anyways

Also, FWIW, there's at least one current M1 at Mayo who turned down HMS to be there. They seemed pretty happy with their choice.

Of course, you have to consider your own complicated network of goals and values, but it'd be awesome if you chose Mayo!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just saw that Mayo's average MCAT for matriculated students is listed as 512 on MSAR...I'm wondering if it would be a shot to apply then with an average MCAT but good ECs (at least I think they are!). Not sure what Mayo is looking for tbh, but what do you think?

Has anyone with lower stats (like an average MCAT) gotten in this cycle to Mayo MN or AZ? Any accepted students care to share their stats? It would be really helpful!

Looks like Mayo students are killing it on the boards (in case you needed anymore reasons to absolutely love this school!)

IRePw3C_d.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like Mayo students are killing it on the boards (in case you needed anymore reasons to absolutely love this school!)

IRePw3C_d.jpg
Where did you find these tables?! I've been looking for something like this for ages.

@E4357 @liquidsodium

It's interesting you guys mention the gym because no other fellow applicant that I have encountered has cared to state this as one of the factors one should consider.

Well let me tell you, the gym for me is extremely important and it has been one of my top factors in choosing a school (among my best choices of course) - this has brought about laughter by other applicants. This is definitely one of the biggest reasons I am considering Mayo over HMS. The gym accessible to HMS students which is convenient is absolutely sad. Sure I could seek a gym that has what I need but now I'm paying top dollar for it and I miss out on the community of interacting with fellow students.

Of course Rochester is no Boston and this is one of the biggest issues I am dealing with. Plus I hear it is cold 8 months out of the 12 in Rochester, however this is just what I have heard. Thanks for posting the blog links and mentioning the other things Rochester has. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses peeps.

@E4357 @liquidsodium

It's interesting you guys mention the gym because no other fellow applicant that I have encountered has cared to state this as one of the factors one should consider.

Well let me tell you, the gym for me is extremely important and it has been one of my top factors in choosing a school (among my best choices of course) - this has brought about laughter by other applicants. This is definitely one of the biggest reasons I am considering Mayo over HMS. The gym accessible to HMS students which is convenient is absolutely sad. Sure I could seek a gym that has what I need but now I'm paying top dollar for it and I miss out on the community of interacting with fellow students.

Of course Rochester is no Boston and this is one of the biggest issues I am dealing with. Plus I hear it is cold 8 months out of the 12 in Rochester, however this is just what I have heard. Thanks for posting the blog links and mentioning the other things Rochester has. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the responses peeps.

No problem. Good luck with your decision. It is an incredibly tough one. But either way you go, you'll end up receiving an amazing education. I was also apprehensive about Rochester's weather. But I lived in Chicago for a long time and it can't get much worse and I survived lol. I'm not sure how harsh Boston winters are though.

I do have to say that the DHALC is one of the most impressive gym facilities I have ever seen. I'm pretty excited to be able to access it, especially since it connects underground with everything else.

I do have to say that the DHALC is one of the most impressive gym facilities I have ever seen. I'm pretty excited to be able to access it, especially since it connects underground with everything else.

It really is. I have a wealthy friend from home who pays nearly $300 each month to be a member of Equinox (luxury gym) and I went with him once and even that gym was not as nice (or as big) as what Mayo gives us for free.
The story behind it is that Dan Abraham (billionaire founder of Slim Fast) funded it because Mayo Clinic saved his life.

Hey guys! Im a recently accepted student for this cycle and I was really surprised and disappointed by my financial aid package. :( I called and spoke with the Office of Fin Aid and they said they'd get back to me. Was anyone here successful in getting more financial aid after they spoke with the office? Im so sad that I might not be able to attend. My FAFSA EFC is literally $0 but I didnt get much aid. Has anyone been through a similar situation?