2021-2022 Mayo Clinic, Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

For MD-PhD folks, there was only the following prompt last year, in addition to identifying faculty members to interview with:

• In the space below, write a brief paragraph (max. 500 characters) explaining why you are specifically applying to the Mayo Clinic MD-PhD Program.
Interviews took place in January and those who received an invite also received a care package.

Can someone confirm that on the primary you just select Mayo Alix, and then select the Arizona campus in secondary? I am a little confused by last years thread where someone said there is two different primaries but I don't know if this is still the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone confirm that on the primary you just select Mayo Alix, and then select the Arizona campus in secondary? I am a little confused by last years thread where someone said there is two different primaries but I don't know if this is still the case.
Yes, on the primary there is only one option to select and that is Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine. On last cycle's secondary, we had the option to rank our preferences for the different programs (AZ 4-year, MN 4-year, AZ/FL 2+2, MN/FL 2+2). They try to respect your preferences for the interview and for admission. So overall, it's only one primary and one secondary for all the programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, on the primary there is only one option to select and that is Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine. On last cycle's secondary, we had the option to rank our preferences for the different programs (AZ 4-year, MN 4-year, AZ/FL 2+2, MN/FL 2+2). They try to respect your preferences for the interview and for admission. So overall, it's only one primary and one secondary for all the programs.
Are you no longer able to be independently excepted to both the Minnesota and Arizona campuses?

Are you no longer able to be independently excepted to both the Minnesota and Arizona campuses?
As far as i’m aware, no. Since you rank your preferences in a single application, you only get accepted to one of your preferences. And I think they try their best to match you to your top choice.

As far as i’m aware, no. Since you rank your preferences in a single application, you only get accepted to one of your preferences. And I think they try their best to match you to your top choice.
Interesting. You used to be able to interview at both campuses If I remember correctly. So when we apply, if we select all three, are we applying for 100 seats or are we applying, they match us to a campus, then applying for those 50 seats?

Interesting. You used to be able to interview at both campuses If I remember correctly. So when we apply, if we select all three, are we applying for 100 seats or are we applying, they match us to a campus, then applying for those 50 seats?
"Applicants must select at least one campus track option. Options ranked will be considered at the time of interview invitation and acceptance." "Applicants who select more than one campus track option will only be invited to interview with one campus, taking into consideration the specific rank of preference. That interview will count as your interview for the other campus tracks that were selected in your secondary application." - per their website.

My guess is you select priority campus/track, if one campus wants to invite you for an II they check your preferences and maybe defer to other campuses to see if they want you, and then when a campus wants to accept you if you're not their first choice they might check around to see if another one wants you before accepting you to one you ranked lower. In theory you could select one campus as your top choice, interview at another, and get accepted at a third.

Edit to clarify this is speculation based on the available info

Reactions: 1 users
Holy mother of God,

II today. I have no idea what my life is right now. I’m crying. :nailbiting:

Complete: 7/27

Last edited:
  • Love
Placed on hold. Complete 7/13. Is a Mayo hold a death sentence?

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Also hold. Anyone know what that means for Mayo?

posted on the Rochester thread accidentally but II for the Phoenix campus !! OOS, complete 08/18

• Love
My first interview invite!! LizzyM ~70

Got the email while at work today and started jumping up and down and crying.

Last edited:
  • Love
Oop, also posted in the other thread, got an II today and cannot believe it

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II today too! Got the email at work, I’m so excited! Competed 8/26

• Love
There are several MCASOM virtual information sessions on the MD and MD/PhD programs are being held. They're on September 18th, September 19th, September 25th, and September 26th at 10:00AM - 11:00 AM (CST). Students from all 3 campuses, Admissions, and the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be there to answer any questions and give interview/application tips.

The registration link is here.

There are several MCASOM virtual information sessions on the MD and MD/PhD programs are being held. They're on September 18th, September 19th, September 25th, and September 26th at 10:00AM - 11:00 AM (CST). Students from all 3 campuses, Admissions, and the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will be there to answer any questions and give interview/application tips.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I want to be as prepared as possible for my interview :)

I attended this morning, I strongly recommend all of you attend a session next week. The session was very informative and it's rare to see answers delivered with such clarity and insight.

Still can't believe I'm going to interview here, I never thought they'd look twice at my app after seeing my GPA/MCAT

It seems like they are moving through apps pretty quickly since people with late August submissions are already receiving IIs

II complete 09/17
Very excited

Does Mayo do silent R's? Complete 8/13 and still nothing 😩

Does Mayo do silent R's? Complete 8/13 and still nothing 😩
Based off previous year’s thread, it seems like they reject people periodically until final decisions in February.

II last night at ~5 pacific time!! Complete 9/5, still can't believe it. Interview scheduled for 11/12

Had my interview recently and it went much better than I expected. Very nice and conversational!

• Love
II this morning! Complete 7/26, OOS ORM. There’s hope for us July applicants yet!

Had my interview recently and was so impressed!! The current students were so kind and thoughtful in the Q&A and the professors who interviewed me were lovely too. Really hoping for an A.

• Love
Love that they sent a gift post-interview. I felt special, I cannot lie lol. Also, they sent me an email letting me know they have already determined my committee score so fingers crossed.

• Love
Love that they sent a gift post-interview. I felt special, I cannot lie lol. Also, they sent me an email letting me know they have already determined my committee score so fingers crossed.
When did you interview? I haven't heard of anyone getting the committee score email before.

Also, I love the gift too! I use the travel mug almost every day lol

When did you interview? I haven't heard of anyone getting the committee score email before.

I interviewed 10/12 and received an email yesterday saying “the Admissions committee met recently to discuss your interview and determined your committee score” and something about how it will be taken into consideration for admissions, that admissions are sent in February, and information on how to upload a document.

Yes! That mug is everything!!!

Just got an II! Complete 10/7. I literally jumped in my seat at work and had to run to the bathroom to cry a little. I almost didn't even submit the secondary because I assumed I wasn't good enough. I'm glad I was wrong!!!

I have one question though, in the portal, it says "Your selected Interview Day Is:" but there's no day and nowhere to select a day, just the checkboxes to put down what times/day of the week, but no actual dates. Should I contact them or what's going on?

anyways....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

• Love
Just got an II! Complete 10/7. I literally jumped in my seat at work and had to run to the bathroom to cry a little. I almost didn't even submit the secondary because I assumed I wasn't good enough. I'm glad I was wrong!!!

I have one question though, in the portal, it says "Your selected Interview Day Is:" but there's no day and nowhere to select a day, just the checkboxes to put down what times/day of the week, but no actual dates. Should I contact them or what's going on?

anyways....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Congrats! I think i ran into that issue b/c I hadn't uploaded my photo first?

Congrats! I think i ran into that issue b/c I hadn't uploaded my photo first?
Thank you!! Okay, I don't have a recent headshot so I was going to skip that for now but guess I'll have to submit it first. Thanks for your help!

Congrats to everyone who’s gotten an interview! I’m a current student, ask me anything as long as it’s not identifying information :)

Congrats to everyone who’s gotten an interview! I’m a current student, ask me anything as long as it’s not identifying information :)
How would you describe the culture of Mayo at the Arizona campus? Is it high strung/super stress inducing (among faculty and students)?

I feel like I hear so much about Mayo being a really high strung place and I’m wondering if that’s just a stereotype or maybe the vibe people got from other campuses? How has your experience been?

Also is it true P/F or is there internal ranking?

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide!

I interviewed this morning and I was told that everyone gets scored by the committee about two weeks after they interview, but I assume they don't always email about that.

How would you describe the culture of Mayo at the Arizona campus? Is it high strung/super stress inducing (among faculty and students)?

I feel like I hear so much about Mayo being a really high strung place and I’m wondering if that’s just a stereotype or maybe the vibe people got from other campuses? How has your experience been?

Also is it true P/F or is there internal ranking?

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide!
So each class has their own culture, but I'd say it's actually relatively chill. It's a highly motivated group of people so everyone studies hard (and of course it is medical school), but it's also an incredibly collaborative and supportive environment. My classmates are always sharing notes and going above and beyond to help each other out. Everyone's just SO nice. For the most part, it's the same for faculty - they've been nothing but kind, helpful, and patient with me. Honestly we've probably been spoiled lol.
It's true P/F for preclin with NO internal rankings, which probably contributes to the above.

Hope that helped! I'm honestly so happy with my decision to go here. I think Mayo really tries to select for personality when creating a class, and it shows.

• Love
So each class has their own culture, but I'd say it's actually relatively chill. It's a highly motivated group of people so everyone studies hard (and of course it is medical school), but it's also an incredibly collaborative and supportive environment. My classmates are always sharing notes and going above and beyond to help each other out. Everyone's just SO nice. For the most part, it's the same for faculty - they've been nothing but kind, helpful, and patient with me. Honestly we've probably been spoiled lol.
It's true P/F for preclin with NO internal rankings, which probably contributes to the above.

Hope that helped! I'm honestly so happy with my decision to go here. I think Mayo really tries to select for personality when creating a class, and it shows.
That’s amazing to hear and I’m so glad you’re happy!!! Thank you for your insight!

I interviewed this morning and I was told that everyone gets scored by the committee about two weeks after they interview, but I assume they don't always email about that.
God this makes me paranoid. My head instantly went, “they only emailed you because it was THAT bad and now they’re warning you.” Great.

God this makes me paranoid. My head instantly went, “they only emailed you because it was THAT bad and now they’re warning you.” Great.
No need to stress! It sounds like everyone gets a score email. I'd recommend checking out the 4th page of last year's Mayo AZ thread that might make you feel better. :) You've got this!

• Care
For those who interviewed already, can someone tell me about the dress code? was everyone in a full suit (jacket and everything) or would it be appropriate to wear a shirt and tie without the jacket?

Thank you!

Definitely a full suit kind of vibe on my day!

For those who interviewed already, can someone tell me about the dress code? was everyone in a full suit (jacket and everything) or would it be appropriate to wear a shirt and tie without the jacket?

Thank you!
Also if anyone knows the dress code for the Monday session??