2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well they won't even know if anyone has an acceptance unless they've waitlisted people without notification. I'm not sure that's even allowed?

But if they do happen to know, I would not be at all surprised if they're strategic about it. It's getting pretty late in the game even for their slow pace, and they don't have a lot of time left to correct for accepting people who won't come. UCLA knows they'll outdraw a lot of schools, but if they see someone with multiple "prestigious" acceptances, that might not be the person they spend their effort on.*

*my own speculation
There is no official rule. AAMC can't enforce any rule they have on the schools. The people they want the most/accept early are often those that have multiple "prestigious" acceptance. At this time, they offer you a spot and you have a short amount of time to reply yes or no if no they move on to the next one. I don't know why people always speculate that there is some crazy game they're playing to fill their class...they like you-->accepted

Members don't see this ad.

The word I've heard is that they still have yet to fill their class. Last year and the year before, they sent out mid/late April acceptances. Last year it was only a couple days before May. I would think they would do the same this year. That said, they appear to be taking the whole process at a leisurely pace, so who knows.
Not true, a friend asked them about her status few days ago and they said the class is filled.

Reactions: 1 user
Are applicants with no acceptances more likely to hear back than applicants who are holding an acceptance?

A non- factor, ADCOMS have stated that 99% of interviewees have at least one acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no official rule. AAMC can't enforce any rule they have on the schools. The people they want the most/accept early are often those that have multiple "prestigious" acceptance. At this time, they offer you a spot and you have a short amount of time to reply yes or no if no they move on to the next one. I don't know why people always speculate that there is some crazy game they're playing to fill their class...they like you-->accepted

So, in theory, a school could tell AMCAS they waitlisted every single person they interviewed, see where they had been accepted, and then make their decisions without ever communicating the initial waitlist status to the applicant?

Not saying this happens anywhere, but is it actually a thing somewhere could do?

So, in theory, a school could tell AMCAS they waitlisted every single person they interviewed, see where they had been accepted, and then make their decisions without ever communicating the initial waitlist status to the applicant?

Not saying this happens anywhere, but is it actually a thing somewhere could do?
UCLA don't waitlist every single person they interviewed...they already made enough offers to fill their class and so do every other school at this point. But to your point yes, I think in theory they could but no one does that. AAMC and all the applicants would be pissed. Again, they don't care where and how many acceptances you have. It's UCLA for goodness sake. Plenty of people are dying to get into the school.

UCLA don't waitlist every single person they interviewed...they already made enough offers to fill their class and so do every other school at this point. But to your point yes, I think in theory they could but no one does that. AAMC and all the applicants would be pissed. Again, they don't care where and how many acceptances you have. It's UCLA for goodness sake. Plenty of people are dying to get into the school.

I'm very curious if this is really a possible method (again, not saying UCLA or anywhere else actually does it). @gyngyn Could a school waitlist every interviewed applicant without telling them, see where they've been accepted, and then make their decisions and communicate only the latter decision to applicants?

I'm very curious if this is really a possible method (again, not saying UCLA or anywhere else actually does it). @gyngyn Could a school waitlist every interviewed applicant without telling them, see where they've been accepted, and then make their decisions and communicate only the latter decision to applicants?
Schools are required to release an equivalent number of acceptances as the number of seats by March 15th. These decisions are registered with AMCAS. It would be patently obvious if any school attempted to game the system by reversing decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no point to speculate this much at this point. We're gonna find out soon...

Reactions: 2 users

Well, they told us that we are all on the "accept wait hold" list. Apparently a few people have gotten outright rejections. And as far as I know, if you don't get in off the wait list, they never tell you anything.

Well, they told us that we are all on the "accept wait hold" list. Apparently a few people have gotten outright rejections. And as far as I know, if you don't get in off the wait list, they never tell you anything.
From where did you get that information about "post-interview rejections"? I'm just curious.

From where did you get that information about "post-interview rejections"? I'm just curious.

Fellow M0's at a second look weekend on the waitlist at DGSOM. I was skeptical, but they knew someone who was rejected post interview.

Was accepted off the waitlist on 04/28. Declined acceptance on 04/30.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ahhh crazy. Where are you going to end up going to school?
I'm hoping I hear back soon! I just sent in a letter from the head/chair of a department at UCLA. I hope it helps.

Ahhh crazy. Where are you going to end up going to school?
I'm hoping I hear back soon! I just sent in a letter from the head/chair of a department at UCLA. I hope it helps.

Yale, crazy because I never imagined choosing New Haven over LA but I just fell in love with their school and students.
As a former UCLA undergrad alum, I wish you all the best in getting a chance to return to UCLA for med school. Hopefully that letter pushes you over the edge. :)

Wait, I'm confused. Is the "accept wait hold" list the same as the waitlist? Is everyone automatically put on the "accepted wait hold" list post-interview?

Also, someone mentioned previously that at some point, we can call and ask our rank on the waitlist?

Could current students (and recent interviewees) clarify both of those points?

I apologize if I'm confused. I did read all above posts, but feel we are getting mixed messages...

Is anyone also getting an internal server error on their status page this morning?

Wait, I'm confused. Is the "accept wait hold" list the same as the waitlist? Is everyone automatically put on the "accepted wait hold" list post-interview?

Also, someone mentioned previously that at some point, we can call and ask our rank on the waitlist?

Could current students (and recent interviewees) clarify both of those points?

I apologize if I'm confused. I did read all above posts, but feel we are getting mixed messages...

after you interview, all interviewees are then evaluated (based on interview dates) for acceptance. once you go through the entire evaluation process, you are either accepted or "waitlisted". so by now, if you haven't received an acceptance, then you are in this "waitlist", which contains all the interviewees minus the 150 or so that have been accepted so far. also, im like 99% sure that we don't have a ranked waitlist. everytime an opening comes up, all of those on the waitlist are re-evaluated.

those of you still waiting, hang in there! i didn't hear back until mid-may (and i would say a significant portion of my class were the same), so UCLA definitely has a decent "WL" movement. it is a long and tough process, cause i have classmates who didn't hear back until like early july, but trust me, it'll be worth it :)

after you interview, all interviewees are then evaluated (based on interview dates) for acceptance. once you go through the entire evaluation process, you are either accepted or "waitlisted". so by now, if you haven't received an acceptance, then you are in this "waitlist", which contains all the interviewees minus the 150 or so that have been accepted so far. also, im like 99% sure that we don't have a ranked waitlist. everytime an opening comes up, all of those on the waitlist are re-evaluated.

those of you still waiting, hang in there! i didn't hear back until mid-may (and i would say a significant portion of my class were the same), so UCLA definitely has a decent "WL" movement. it is a long and tough process, cause i have classmates who didn't hear back until like early july, but trust me, it'll be worth it :)

THANK YOU so much for clarifying! I feel your words are going to reassure many on this tread and quell some of the anxieties going on. Much appreciated! :)

Do you know if the classmates that found out in July or later in the cycle submitted another AMCAS application for the next cycle?

July!? Wow that man/woman deserves a medal for waiting that long (assuming he or she has at least one offer already)

Is anyone also getting an internal server error on their status page this morning?
I just called and they're still working on it. They also told me that "we hope the admissions committee will meet this week."

Do you know if the classmates that found out in July or later in the cycle submitted another AMCAS application for the next cycle?

i dont know if they did, but i would assume that if they didn't have an acceptance by then, they would've submitted one by then (and then withdrawn the AMCAS for the next cycle once they were admitted.

I just called and they're still working on it. They also told me that "we hope the admissions committee will meet this week."
Hey Sparky, did they seem to say that they are will be sending out acceptances by this week?

Hey Sparky, did they seem to say that they are will be sending out acceptances by this week?
They specifically said meeting, so I'd assume not sending any out this week, though I suppose it's possible that they do understand the concept of multi-tasking. They also said hoping, so who knows when the next meeting will actually be :dead:

Bottom line is we have to wait a few more weeks...

Congrats!!! That's amazing! Did you send in a Letter of Intent?
Yes actually I did. I had sent three updates/LOI's over the course of the cycle the most recent being about 2-3 hours before receiving my acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow that awesome!
It's good to know that they're reviewing applicants right now. Fingers crossed!

Were you accepted to any other schools?
Yes I am very fortunate to have had a few acceptances. I committed to another school just two days before getting this news but have two weeks to let Geffen know if I plan to attend.

Do we know if the class is full or not?

yeah the class has been full since march. if people withdraw their acceptances, then the committee will reconvene and re-evaluate all the other applicants to determine the next wave of admits

Which email address did you send your update letters/LOI to? [email protected]?

Also, congrats! You must be so thrilled!
Thank you so much. I'm very excited about the opportunity. I sent the all three to the admissions email and the last one I also sent directly to Dr. Hall's email.

I honestly don't know if the letters has anything to do with my acceptance but each one was a significant research update and less of a LOI.