2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question:

I would reallllly like to matriculate at DG (like many of you).

But that will depend somewhat on the finances. #broke Some private schools have offered some help but ... I am still on the fence.

So I want to write a letter to DG, but I don't want to lie and say "if you accept me, I will for sure go here". Is there a way to nicely say, "please accept me and let me consider your program + ultimate cost"?
Gotta be honest with you brother, they would laugh and think you must be joking...the analogy is like you going into a a top company and ask the CEO to give you a job but say that you would still have to consider what he offers to you (salary, benefits, etc.) No bueno!

Members don't see this ad.

Question:

But that will depend somewhat on the finances. #broke Some private schools have offered some help but ... I am still on the fence.

So I want to write a letter to DG, but I don't want to lie and say "if you accept me, I will for sure go here". Is there a way to nicely say, "please accept me and let me consider your program + ultimate cost"?
That defeats the purpose of a LOI. you might want to submit a letter of update/interest which doesn't necessarily make you obligated to matriculate here, upon your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Who declines a full ride to UCLA?

I believe about 50% of them are declined.

But to provide some context, the yields of schools like Hopkins and Stanford are only ~50% too. So that means that only half the people accepted into Hopkins/Stanford attend. So a 50% yield isn't bad at all.

Question:

Dude, no offense... but from your previous posts in other threads it seems like you are wanting to matriculate to Hopkins... if you are already asking about the white coat, and making plans to go there, it seems like you made up your mind. With all due respect, you should withdraw for those people who ACTUALLY want to go to UCLA and don't just want to "wait and see if they got in"... like yourself. We are all very proud that you got into Hopkins and Yale and withdraw from Columbia... (from what I can see or deduce from your posts)... but dude COME ON, people are dying to get into DGSOM and you want to go to Hopkins. I encourage you to withdraw... that is what a true physician would do-- not hold on to see if he can feed his pride and ego.

Dude, no offense... but from your previous posts in other threads it seems like you are wanting to matriculate to Hopkins... if you are already asking about the white coat, and making plans to go there, it seems like you made up your mind. With all due respect, you should withdraw for those people who ACTUALLY want to go to UCLA and don't just want to "wait and see if they got in"... like yourself. We are all very proud that you got into Hopkins and Yale and withdraw from Columbia... (from what I can see or deduce from your posts)... but dude COME ON, people are dying to get into DGSOM and you want to go to Hopkins. I encourage you to withdraw... that is what a true physician would do-- not hold on to see if he can feed his pride and ego.

Stalker much? o.o

Stalker much? o.o
Well, I was just wondering how it was possible for someone to be on the fence about UCLA because of finances... it is one thing to be on the fence about other aspects of the school-- but look, everyone goes into debt... everyone is "#broke"... not having money is not a good reason. Think rationally, my friends, this kid just wants to get into UCLA so he can say he got into UCLA and then rejected them... the psychology of a gunner is simple.

Whoa whoa whoa! everybody is so bitter here! but of course it's totally justifiable. I agree 100% that the application cycle for UCLA is especially tough and, quite frankly, pretty ******ed. Also the interview was definitely shorter than most interviews at different schools. I can't really say anything for UCLA's stupid application process but I can definitely say that the short interview was actually a great plus for me. Most schools try to sell themselves to me during interviews but they usually spit out stuff that I already know. If you truly like a school, you should have already done your research about the school and even contacted several current students to learn more about the "insides" of the school. The short interview allowed me to explore the undergraduate campus and talk to several interviewees, faculty members, and current students.

I don't really think medical schools are EXTREMELY different from one another. Especially in a particular tier, they tend to be pretty much the same (of course, there are obvious exceptions like the location, the patient population, and the diversity of the student body, all of which are pretty darn great in UCLA). Basically, I'm just trying to make the claim that UCLA is awesome, at least as awesome as any other school in the same tier.

I know this process sucks and I hope UCLA will change it for the upcoming cycles. But for now, let's try not to lose our cool by being so hostile to each other and do what SDN was made for: support our fellow future MDs. Let's face it, we're all going to be doctors regardless of how long it's going to take! :))

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Folks

I am a Calif resident and holding two acceptances from both UCLA and UofM Ann Arbor, both my dream schools. However, I am in a bit of confusing state while making up my mind. If OOS cost and locations are not a major issue, what are the important things one should consider in selecting a school? I am not able to get UCLAs residency match details. Their website just provides the number of residency match, but not the location.

Few observations/experiences from interviews:
  • UofM seemed lot friendlier, college town feeling, extremely transparent, faculty friendly, and open door policy, infrastructure more advance and newer than UCLA. I cannot find any minuses other than living far from my family.
Any pointers from existing UCLA med student, or someone with similar issue? Or how others would make this decision?
Thanks a lot

Hi Folks

I am a Calif resident and holding two acceptances from both UCLA and UofM Ann Arbor, both my dream schools. However, I am in a bit of confusing state while making up my mind. If OOS cost and locations are not a major issue, what are the important things one should consider in selecting a school? I am not able to get UCLAs residency match details. Their website just provides the number of residency match, but not the location.

• UofM seemed lot friendlier, college town feeling, extremely transparent, faculty friendly, and open door policy, infrastructure more advance and newer than UCLA. I cannot find any minuses other than living far from my family.
Any pointers from existing UCLA med student, or someone with similar issue? Or how others would make this decision?
Thanks a lot
It sounds to me like you have made up your mind already. I am in a similar spot, in that I have been accepted to my state school which is literally three miles down the road from where I currently live. It has been hard for me to make up my mind about where to attend because of the support network I will be leaving behind. That said, I have pretty much decided that I will be attending UCLA.
As much as everyone on SDN talks about the importance of having a good support network throughout medical school, I do think there is a flip side to this. My SO did a PhD in a foreign country, so we lived on the other side of the globe and an 8-hour time difference from our support network. PhD's (and MD's) are notoriously difficult on couples, but we found we actually really liked being so far away from everyone even though we are both extremely close to our families. I found that being in a new environment where no one knew me gave me the freedom to fully shape my experience and explore aspects of my personality and my approach to life that I (and those around me) had always previously taken for granted as core aspects of "me." I REALLY changed in the years I was abroad, and my SO and I knit an incredibly tight and diverse support network that I'm sure we would not have been a part of if we had had an existing support network in place. As I have been weighing my own options, I have decided that being away from family might actually be a plus for me. I hope it will give me the flexibility to become exactly the kind of doctor I want to be, not the doctor my friends and family envision me becoming.
Of course, I am not saying that everyone should flippantly disregard the importance of having family close at hand. But one way or another, if you decide to attend UofM, it will be much healthier for you to think of the move in a positive light rather than dwelling on what you are giving up. I hope my take on things might help you find that silver lining. Best of luck with your decision!

Just by curiosity, did anyone ask when are we able to know our "ranking" in the wait list?

Going to be withdrawing my application. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
It sounds to me like you have made up your mind already. I am in a similar spot, in that I have been accepted to my state school which is literally three miles down the road from where I currently live. It has been hard for me to make up my mind about where to attend because of the support network

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I like some of your points.
I think one important criteria for selecting a med school is also knowing their residency matching list/location/university. Since UofM publishes their matching list in a more detail way it is easier for an accepted student to leverage on that criteria for decision making. Does anyone know any link that might post the detail matching list for UCLA including which institution they have matched?

Sorry still learning to "reply"

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Elynn, I like some of your points.
I think one important criteria for selecting a med school is also knowing their residency matching list/location/university. Since UofM publishes their matching list in a more detail way it is easier for an accepted student to leverage on that criteria for decision making. Does anyone know any link that might post the detail matching list for UCLA including which institution they have matched?

It's on an SDN thread. I'll curate the list from the past few years and link them here.

Step 2 scores: UCLA (245), UM (250)

Hi Folks

Thanks a lot

So, know that it is nearing April 30th, so I thought that I would provide you some perspective.
Depending on what you are more interested in, you should chose accordingly:
UCLA: Very strong research, not so strong patient-care/clinical skills. The reason why UCLA is ranked as highly as it is (or any school is ranked as highly as it is, I am sure you know) is because of how much research money it is pulling into the institution. If you are interested in spending most of your out-of-class time doing research in a basic-science laboratory, then I suggest you pick UCLA. However, if you are mostly concerned with wanting to cultivate your people-skills and be prepared to shine in your residency interviews, I suggest NOT going to UCLA. From personal experience, I can tell you that the UCLA administration is cold and very distant. If you want to have good role-models in medicine--ones that teach you proper bedside manner-- I also suggest NOT picking UCLA. Perhaps the community is nice in LA (and it seems like there has been a lot of discussion in this regard) but I will tell you that it is not the most warm environment in the world.

Michigan: Very strong clinically, not as strong research-wise (but still good). I think there is less bureaucracy with with you would have to deal here. People are a little nicer here and they really care about molding you into a health-care provider. It is BEAUTIFUL in Ann Arbor. Yes, it could get cold. No, it isn't perfect weather like LA all day every day; but, there are sights that are unparalleled in california.

I think a good way of knowing how invested the school is in YOU is taking a glance at their website. UCLA's is very concise; they don't publish their match results. Michigan's has all the events that are going on throughout campus; they have videos up there, very prideful of what their students accomplish. (This is from observation years ago-- things have probably changed). Again, UCLA is an amazing school (but as you can see from my tone of voice) I would choose Michigan.

When I went away for school, I actually became much MUCH closer to my family. It seems like that doesn't make sense, but if you think about it-- you can see the advantages. This is MEDICAL SCHOOL; you will be busy ALL DAY EVERY DAY studying and shadowing. If you were close to home, your parents will expect you home, YOU would expect yourself to be at home. When I moved away, I didn't have the overbearing obligation of helping my siblings with school work, etc. And even though I would LOVE to help them, they became more independent when I left and there was not subconscious tension of "they are keeping me from doing my work." When you pick up the phone to talk to your parents when you are away, you will have more substantial conversations. You will be able to share with them your NEW life, brining you closer together.

I suggest you go explore for the next four years. I assume that you will want to do your residency in California, right? Well, 4 years away from here would do you good. Go gettem in Michigan, kid. Show them what California has taught you all this time. Then, you will be able to come back as a kick-a** resident to UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Cedars and the like, and you will be able to share what another city taught you.

Either place you choose will be great (but I would pick UM :p).

So, know that it is nearing April 30th, so I thought that I would provide you some perspective.
Depending on what you are more interested in, you should chose accordingly:
UCLA: Very strong research, not so strong patient-care/clinical skills. The reason why UCLA is ranked as highly as it is (or any school is ranked as highly as it is, I am sure you know) is because of how much research money it is pulling into the institution. If you are interested in spending most of your out-of-class time doing research in a basic-science laboratory, then I suggest you pick UCLA. However, if you are mostly concerned with wanting to cultivate your people-skills and be prepared to shine in your residency interviews, I suggest NOT going to UCLA. From personal experience, I can tell you that the UCLA administration is cold and very distant. If you want to have good role-models in medicine--ones that teach you proper bedside manner-- I also suggest NOT picking UCLA. Perhaps the community is nice in LA (and it seems like there has been a lot of discussion in this regard) but I will tell you that it is not the most warm environment in the world.

Michigan: Very strong clinically, not as strong research-wise (but still good). I think there is less bureaucracy with with you would have to deal here. People are a little nicer here and they really care about molding you into a health-care provider. It is BEAUTIFUL in Ann Arbor. Yes, it could get cold. No, it isn't perfect weather like LA all day every day; but, there are sights that are unparalleled in california.

I think a good way of knowing how invested the school is in YOU is taking a glance at their website. UCLA's is very concise; they don't publish their match results. Michigan's has all the events that are going on throughout campus; they have videos up there, very prideful of what their students accomplish. (This is from observation years ago-- things have probably changed). Again, UCLA is an amazing school (but as you can see from my tone of voice) I would choose Michigan.

When I went away for school, I actually became much MUCH closer to my family. It seems like that doesn't make sense, but if you think about it-- you can see the advantages. This is MEDICAL SCHOOL; you will be busy ALL DAY EVERY DAY studying and shadowing. If you were close to home, your parents will expect you home, YOU would expect yourself to be at home. When I moved away, I didn't have the overbearing obligation of helping my siblings with school work, etc. And even though I would LOVE to help them, they became more independent when I left and there was not subconscious tension of "they are keeping me from doing my work." When you pick up the phone to talk to your parents when you are away, you will have more substantial conversations. You will be able to share with them your NEW life, bringing you closer together.

I suggest you go explore for the next four years. I assume that you will want to do your residency in California, right? Well, 4 years away from here would do you good. Go gettem in Michigan, kid. Show them what California has taught you all this time. Then, you will be able to come back as a kick-a** resident to UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Cedars and the like, and you will be able to share what another city taught you.

Either place you choose will be great (but I would pick UM :p).

First of all thank you for sharing your two cents. You are indeed witty :)
Interestingly, your last paragraph and suggestions from my family match ditto. Although I feel research is our best hope for advancing treatment, but I am not cut out for that. While prepping for medical career I have all along enjoyed working with people. And you have pointed out something which has also caught my attention. I like their approach to leadership which emphasizes on collectively working in groups closely with teams, seniors including dedicated faculty and deans and dept chairs, seemed very unique. At least for me.

Once again, thanks Lady1990.

So no late February and after interviewees have heard anything?

Reactions: 1 users
March interviewee here. Was told about a week and a half ago that my application was currently under review.

So you received an email stating that your application is under review?

I think everyone's application is "under-review". that's the impression that I got when I e-mailed them. I've got the "still under-review" answer... :smack:

Maybe they like us so much that they want to review our applications over and over again. It's ok. We'll wait :corny::corny:

I interviewed in March - still haven't heard anything. Not exactly holding my breath though...

I believe they've gone over everyone they've interviewed by now. I have a couple of friends who interviewed with me (early February), late February, and March who know peeps in their groups who have heard back (with acceptances of course!). The rest of us are waitlisted and will remain so until they either accept or reject us by mid July or so. Sit tight people. The waitlist movement is coming.

I believe they've gone over everyone they've interviewed by now. I have a couple of friends who interviewed with me (early February), late February, and March who know peeps in their groups who have heard back (with acceptances of course!). The rest of us are waitlisted and will remain so until they either accept or reject us by mid July or so. Sit tight people. The waitlist movement is coming.

This is the first news on sdn about late feb or march interviewees receiving acceptances. Good to know! Thanks for sharing

This is the first news on sdn about late feb or march interviewees receiving acceptances. Good to know! Thanks for sharing
At this point, their class is full. We'll see if a lot of people will withdraw their acceptance by this week. :xf:

I wonder how many people will be getting off of the WL this year...

I wonder how many people will be getting off of the WL this year...

Depends on how many of the 1st wave people decline their acceptances coupled with those who are offered spots past April 30th who no longer have the desire to go to UCLA. Pretty much a guessing game.

At this point, their class is full. We'll see if a lot of people will withdraw their acceptance by this week. :xf:
The word I've heard is that they still have yet to fill their class. Last year and the year before, they sent out mid/late April acceptances. Last year it was only a couple days before May. I would think they would do the same this year. That said, they appear to be taking the whole process at a leisurely pace, so who knows.

The word I've heard is that they still have yet to fill their class. Last year and the year before, they sent out mid/late April acceptances. Last year it was only a couple days before May. I would think they would do the same this year. That said, they appear to be taking the whole process at a leisurely pace, so who knows.
I've never heard of any medical school without a complete class at this point. Lol

Has anyone who withdrew gotten a confirmation email?

Yes, the next day from the admissions office. They are probably getting a lot more now than 2 weeks ago though.

Just sayin': last year's thread saw some acceptances with "letter sent" dated Wednesday 4/29/15 as well as Wednesday 5/6/15. Will interviewees from this year hear back on similar dates as well? Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!

Just sayin': last year's thread saw some acceptances with "letter sent" dated Wednesday 4/29/15 as well as Wednesday 5/6/15. Will interviewees from this year hear back on similar dates as well? Find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!
And instead of taking five episodes to go super saiyan, it's five months to get in to medical school!

I highly doubt we will hear on those exact dates... But some of us should hear soon

Reactions: 2 users
Are applicants with no acceptances more likely to hear back than applicants who are holding an acceptance?

Are applicants with no acceptances more likely to hear back than applicants who are holding an acceptance?
No, that would be nothing short of ridiculous. They accept whoever they want the most not by how "safe" the applicant is in term of choosing the school. It's UCLA...

No, that would be nothing short of ridiculous. They accept whoever they want the most not by how "safe" the applicant is in term of choosing the school. It's UCLA...

Well they won't even know if anyone has an acceptance unless they've waitlisted people without notification. I'm not sure that's even allowed?

But if they do happen to know, I would not be at all surprised if they're strategic about it. It's getting pretty late in the game even for their slow pace, and they don't have a lot of time left to correct for accepting people who won't come. UCLA knows they'll outdraw a lot of schools, but if they see someone with multiple "prestigious" acceptances, that might not be the person they spend their effort on.*

*my own speculation