2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a call for the Geffen scholarship… as a low-stat and low-income applicant I wasn’t expecting this at all. For future low-stat (<3.4 <510) applicants lurking this thread, nothing is impossible if you share your story and experiences well. I don’t believe I have an extremely unique story, but do have a long-standing commitment working with underserved communities. Manifesting amazing news for you all!🤞🏽
Yooo congrats!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Just got the call about an hour ago to let me know I’ll be receiving the Geffen scholarship. As someone who spent most of their life living below the federal poverty line I was stressing about how much debt I would get into during medical school. Honestly this scholarship is life changing.

Best of luck to those that have yet to hear back especially those of you that could really benefit from this scholarship.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call about an hour ago to let me know I’ll be receiving the Geffen scholarship. As someone who spent most of their life living below the federal poverty line I was stressing about how much debt I would get into during medical school. Honestly this scholarship is life changing.

Best of luck to those that have yet to hear back especially those of you that could really benefit from this scholarship.
Lets Go Yes GIF by US Open

More Geffens :highfive::highfive::highfive:. Keep em coming

• Love
Got a call for the Geffen scholarship… as a low-stat and low-income applicant I wasn’t expecting this at all. For future low-stat (<3.4 <510) applicants lurking this thread, nothing is impossible if you share your story and experiences well. I don’t believe I have an extremely unique story, but do have a long-standing commitment working with underserved communities. Manifesting amazing news for you all!🤞🏽

this makes me wonder something- both of you likely would have qualified for a lot of need-based aid anyway. I wonder how many Geffens are given to admitted students that would have gotten a full need-based scholarship, and how likely others are to receive merit scholarships.

this makes me wonder something- both of you likely would have qualified for a lot of need-based aid anyway. I wonder how many Geffens are given to admitted students that would have gotten a full need-based scholarship, and how likely others are to receive merit scholarships.
I know one user posted that they spent the "majority" of their life living below poverty guidelines. That doesn't necessarily mean they are now. I spent the majority of my life that way as well, up until high school graduation. My family now definitely does not qualify me for need-based aid any longer. But the experiences of that poverty growing up does heavily impact life trajectories, which makes granting the Geffen to people who are no longer in poverty just as viable.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
My understanding of merit scholarships is that they are used to convince applicants to attend UCLA over other institutions. Folks who would be eligible for need-based aid at UCLA are also eligible for aid at other schools; thus, in order to compete with said other schools, UCLA would need to offer merit scholarships. This isn't to say that Geffen recipients always have other offers, but rather that the scholarship committee recognizes them as extremely desirable and competitive applicants.

Since we're not on the scholarship committee, we don't know what led them to that conclusion. Thus, there's not a lot of value in trying to extrapolate your or anyone else's likelihood of receiving a merit scholarship. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed and congratulate @APreMed619 and @WZRD for being absolute rockstars and getting that coin 🥳🤩

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Just got the call for the Geffen Scholarship. What an absolute honor. I’m really at a loss for words. This journey as a first Gen, super low-income, non-trad student has been so rough. This feels like a culmination of all of the work I’ve done not just for me, but my community.

I’m hoping everyone gets good news soon! Sending love.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
Just got the call for the Geffen Scholarship. What an absolute honor. I’m really at a loss for words. This journey as a first Gen, super low-income, non-trad student has been so rough. This feels like a culmination of all of the work I’ve done not just for me, but my community.

YAAAAAYYYYYY!!!! 🎉🎈

• Love

Celebrate Its Friday GIF by telenet

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love
Also got the call for the Geffen Scholarship! I hope everyone gets some good news soon as well

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, it's so lovely watching dreams come true IRL on this sub lol. Congratulations to you guys!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how much need-based scholarship they usually send out? I'm in the lowest quintile of income:rofl::cryi: and I haven't heard about the Geffen yet so I'm assuming I didn't get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how much need-based scholarship they usually send out? I'm in the lowest quintile of income:rofl::cryi: and I haven't heard about the Geffen yet so I'm assuming I didn't get it.
Also wondering about this!

Please donate a couple more million and help me attend medical school daddy @davidgeffen

1647285963577.png

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Please donate a couple more million and help me attend medical school daddy @davidgeffen

View attachment 351767
Big mood...
Like, do I just bite the bullet and take out those loans? (UCLA/Drew is the dream school) or do I go elsewhere where I got a scholarship (not the dream school).
Come on Big Daddy Geffen! Lol

I'm in the same place right, all my family and friends know I got in and make jokes about me going there, but I honestly value financial aid way more

Big mood...
Like, do I just bite the bullet and take out those loans? (UCLA/Drew is the dream school) or do I go elsewhere where I got a scholarship (not the dream school).
Come on Big Daddy Geffen! Lol
If it helps, I spoke with someone at Drew, and they said scholarship notifications should be going out this week

If it helps, I spoke with someone at Drew, and they said scholarship notifications should be going out this week
they have a ton of non-geffen scholarships too. I assume we hear back for those soon.

I also want to point out for anyone stressing about scholarships right now that I’m sure a decent amount of people end up having to turn down their acceptance and these big scholarships. So even if you’re not hearing the news you want right now, it may come later!

Am I the only person who hasn't heard back post-II about any decision? Lol.

Just got the call for the Geffen for CDU/UCLA. I'm beyond humbled and still processing the absolute shock of it all.

For my fellow non-trads/low-SES folks and anyone else for whom financial aid will probably be the deciding factor, I see you and I'm praying for you 💙

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Just got the call for the Geffen for CDU/UCLA. I'm beyond humbled and still processing the absolute shock of it all.

For my fellow non-trads/low-SES folks and anyone else for whom financial aid will probably be the deciding factor, I see you and I'm praying for you 💙
Omg congrats friend!!!! So proud of you!!!

We won’t have to fill out non-custodial waivers ever again! Lol

• Haha
  • Love
Omg congrats friend!!!! So proud of you!!!

We won’t have to fill out non-custodial waivers ever again! Lol
Thank you!!! THAT especially is a relief 😅

• Care

Congrats!!

• Love
imagine applying for the global health equity track while on the waitlist and not getting accepted into ucla in the end 🙃

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Curious, for those who set up the MyUCLA portal, does it show that your financial aid documents were received? I submitted mine back in February but they aren't showing up as received when I look at the finances tab.

For those on the waitlist, do you know if there's anything we should/can do about financial aid? Any documents we can submit now?

Curious, for those who set up the MyUCLA portal, does it show that your financial aid documents were received? I submitted mine back in February but they aren't showing up as received when I look at the finances tab.
It shows "missing documents". However, I got an email from the fin aid office confirming all my documents had been received and I have a PAL. I think the portal is behind.

It shows "missing documents". However, I got an email from the fin aid office confirming all my documents had been received and I have a PAL. I think the portal is behind.
Did you get your PAL through email?

For those on the waitlist, do you know if there's anything we should/can do about financial aid? Any documents we can submit now?
Are you officially on a waitlist (I thought UCLA didn't do those) or are you just calling non-acceptance a waitlist at this point.

I still haven’t heard anything from UCLA post-interview and idk what I should do. Like would it be bad if I emailed admissions just asking for an expected timeline? My stress levels every Thurs/Fri are taking years off my life at this point.. I just wanna know one way or another

Last edited:
I still haven’t heard anything from UCLA post-interview and idk what I should do. Like would it be bad if I emailed admissions just asking for an expected timeline? My stress levels every Thurs/Fri are taking years off my life at this point.. I just wanna know one way or another
DGSOM does have a history of sending acceptances in March, and I believe that is what the current student stated a few weeks back? Maybe you're in that category. That said, sending an email to admissions for an update won't hurt.

I am in the same boat, my friend. I hope we hear some good news soon.

Anyone on the MD waitlist and had to change their AMCAS app from PRIME LA to MD?

UCLA is making my non-trad, old as hell (not really) life very difficult with this financial aid. Had to track down tax returns for my step-mom I know so little about I didn't even know her middle name until today. Send help.

Does anyone know if UCLA med as internal ranking? It's pass fail for pre-clinical and 4 tier grading for clinical right (or did new curriculum make it 3 tier I can't quite remember).

Does anyone know if UCLA med as internal ranking? It's pass fail for pre-clinical and 4 tier grading for clinical right (or did new curriculum make it 3 tier I can't quite remember).
I don't think they have internal ranking or AOA (but I could be wrong). As of now clinical is p/f and that was due to covid. They are still deciding if clinical will go back to being tiered.