2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanted to write in with an update with as much as I know about the process!
1) The admissions committee doesn't have any more meetings regarding direct admissions offers, meaning that acceptances from here will likely come from the waitlist (but disclaimer is that anything can happen at any point in the process ofc!!).
There is a waitlist, and the "top of the waitlist" distinction is meaningful, meaning that those with that distinction are most likely to get off the waitlist. If you didn't get this distinction, you can totally still get accepted as well. It all depends on how many people accept their original offers, as you know, so it isn't the kind of thing you can predict super well.

2) I'm sorry financial aid has been so frustrating this year for you all. I am passing along this frustration to the committee to see if there's anything they can do to improve the process.
Waitlist applicants can still get merit and need-based aid. I myself was accepted off the waitlist and received a scholarship for full tuition (not the Geffen)!

Let me know if there's any other questions I can try to answer!
So is The top of waitlist designation given to the top 50waitlisted applicants or how does that work? Would appreciate some information on the waitlist ranking.Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Have any Geffen scholarships gone out yet? Also how many students get it every year?

Also how is non merit need based financial aid at DGSOM? Someone said something about only 25% of your package being need based grants. If COA is like 80k for IS students and I have an efc of 0, does that mean I’m going to have to take out 60k in loans each year?
I don't think any Geffen scholarships have come out yet--they usually start to release those Mid-March.
There is no strict percentage for need-based aid, and it really varies between applicants. There is a lot of merit aid to go around in small and large amounts though, so you may not end up paying as much as you think you will.
We also have Loans for Disadvantaged Students. The interest is subsidized (not accruing) while in school, during a 1-year grace after graduation, and then throughout the rest of residency! After residency, when the loan enters repayment, the interest begins to accrue at a fixed rate of 5%.

Reactions: 1 users
Have any Geffen scholarships gone out yet? Also how many students get it every year?

Also how is non merit need based financial aid at DGSOM? Someone said something about only 25% of your package being need based grants. If COA is like 80k for IS students and I have an efc of 0, does that mean I’m going to have to take out 60k in loans each year?
-No.

-around 10-15 students each year I believe.

Are you sure they arent mixing that statistic up with what UCLA said about 25% of the class receiving need based aid? Thats different than 20-25% of your aid being need-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is The top of waitlist designation given to the top 50waitlisted applicants or how does that work? Would appreciate some information on the waitlist ranking.Thank you
I don't have information on how many students get the "top of the waitlist" distinction unfortunately, or how the waitlist is ranked, and I'm sure it varies year to year. It's really just a way for the admissions committee to let those students know that they should start to consider UCLA in their decision process and not rule it out as an option yet, thinking that they'll never get off the waitlist.

I totally recognize how frustrating the whole process can be, and that's why I pushed the admissions office to let me come on here and give you all as much transparency as I can!
For people who have heard absolutely nothing after their interview, when will we get any sort of update?

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Tiny update I just got: Geffen scholarships and LA Care scholarships will start to go out next week

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
I totally recognize how frustrating the whole process can be, and that's why I pushed the admissions office to let me come on here and give you all as much transparency as I can!
so if we haven't heard back, it's an R? :(

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care
I was told you have to live in LAC, but I may have heard incorrectly
I live in LAC so i hope so lol

But i believe its just CA residents, not necessarily LAC residents because there are a few recipients from San Jose and other CA places. Its predominantly LAC tho

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who has been WLed in UCLA, does tour CYMS page reflect that? I received WL email but still haven't seen it updated on my CYMS page.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to write in with an update with as much as I know about the process!
1) The admissions committee doesn't have any more meetings regarding direct admissions offers, meaning that acceptances from here will likely come from the waitlist (but disclaimer is that anything can happen at any point in the process ofc!!).
There is a waitlist, and the "top of the waitlist" distinction is meaningful, meaning that those with that distinction are most likely to get off the waitlist. If you didn't get this distinction, you can totally still get accepted as well. It all depends on how many people accept their original offers, as you know, so it isn't the kind of thing you can predict super well.

2) I'm sorry financial aid has been so frustrating this year for you all. I am passing along this frustration to the committee to see if there's anything they can do to improve the process.
Waitlist applicants can still get merit and need-based aid. I myself was accepted off the waitlist and received a scholarship for full tuition (not the Geffen)!

So are you saying that every student that has heard nothing post interview is rejected at this point then?

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I don't have information on how many students get the "top of the waitlist" distinction unfortunately, or how the waitlist is ranked, and I'm sure it varies year to year. It's really just a way for the admissions committee to let those students know that they should start to consider UCLA in their decision process and not rule it out as an option yet, thinking that they'll never get off the waitlist.
Did you personally submit a letter of intent to UCLA when you were on the waitlist? Do you know if LOIs hold any weight when taking ppl off the waitlist, especially if we didn't get a "top of the waitlist" notification?

The current DGSOM student did mention that “anything can happen at any point”. This MAY WELL just be the inner optimist in me, but I’m still holding out hope for now.
i really really really hope so

• Care
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for updating us! I have 2 questions:
1) last time, you mentioned that acceptances would still be going out in March, just less than there were in February. Did the admissions committee finish earlier than expected?
2) Are there still more waitlist spots to be given out?

if they are done, then why haven't they sent post-interview rejections? I'm so confused by their process

Reactions: 4 users
Are you sure they arent mixing that statistic up with what UCLA said about 25% of the class receiving need based aid? Thats different than 20-25% of your aid being need-based.
So I am the one who said it and I got that based off of a zoom session I had with someone from financial aid. I wrote it down when they said it but maybe it was explained weird. But she said the first prospective aid offer is generally more loans compared to the second offer.

All I wanna say is that you are an amazing person. I mean it. Thank you for all the info.
Seriously. You don’t have to but super glad you come on here to help.

Reactions: 1 users
Tiny update I just got: Geffen scholarships and LA Care scholarships will start to go out next week
I’m going to throw up. I need to get off the Internet lmao

Last edited:
To the people who haven't heard anything back yet--I am not sure what your status is, but I've asked the committee to see if they can tell me. I'' be honest and say that since they don't have any more scheduled committee meetings for acceptances that it's unlikely to get a direct acceptance as of now, but as always not impossible! I don't think they are done waitlisting applicants yet though, but I will see if they can confirm that for me.
I sent a letter of interest pre-waitlist but not a letter of intent. I don't think it would hurt to send one though! Nothing can for sure move you up on the waitlist but a letter of intent could definitely help.

To the people who haven't heard anything back yet--I am not sure what your status is, but I've asked the committee to see if they can tell me. I'' be honest and say that since they don't have any more scheduled committee meetings for acceptances that it's unlikely to get a direct acceptance as of now, but as always not impossible! I don't think they are done waitlisting applicants yet though, but I will see if they can confirm that for me.
I sent a letter of interest pre-waitlist but not a letter of intent. I don't think it would hurt to send one though! Nothing can for sure move you up on the waitlist but a letter of intent could definitely help.
Thank you so much for asking. I am so anxious. UCLA has always been a dream for me, especially with the new curriculum. I am trying to hold on to any hope for an A.

Thank you so much for asking. I am so anxious. UCLA has always been a dream for me, especially with the new curriculum. I am trying to hold on to any hope for an A.
Also, when you say they don't have any more meetings scheduled, does that mean there will be no As going out today? Or is it possible that they had a meeting last week and the last batch of direct As will be going out today?

-No.

-around 10-15 students each year I believe.

• Geffen Scholarship (full COA) is offered to up to 20% of the incoming class or ~35 students
  • LA Cares Scholarship (full tuition + an annual living stipend) Seems to go to 8 students
  • Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship (full tuition + 5000 research stipend) - I no idea how many students receive this
  • Deans Leadership in Health Sciences Scholarship (full tuition + stipend) - only goes to duel degree… no idea how many get it.
My back of the napkin math during the interview was that ~25-30% of incoming students get a full tuition+ scholarship... Checking their website Seems to corroborate this. SOURCE FROM DGSOM

• Geffen Scholarship (full COA) is offered to up to 20% of the incoming class or ~35 students
  • LA Cares Scholarship (full tuition + an annual living stipend) Seems to go to 8 students
  • Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship (full tuition + 5000 research stipend) - I no idea how many students receive this
  • Deans Leadership in Health Sciences Scholarship (full tuition + stipend) - only goes to duel degree… no idea how many get it.
My back of the napkin math during the interview was that ~25-30% of incoming students get a full tuition+ scholarship... Checking their website Seems to corroborate this. SOURCE FROM DGSOM

Ahh gotcha. I interpreted the 25% of UCLA students having Geffen as 25% of all current students, not solely incoming. That makes sense though. Thank you!

I like you back of napkin maff. It makes me happy.

Thank you so much for being here to help out us anxious premeds! I was also WLed but didn't get a top of the waitlist distinction. I sent a letter of intent pre-WL and I'm not sure if I should send another one now that I received my decision. UCLA has been my dream for so long... Do you know if a second letter of intent could help?

Also, do you know how accurate the waitlist data is on MSAR/AAMC? I think I saw some information about 150 applicants are waitlisted and 50 are taken off. I understand the waitlist movement will change every year, but is this roughly the pattern?

Thank you so much for advocating for us! I really appreciate all the updates you have been able to give.

• Love
Please let us people who haven't heard anything back know! I am shook haha

Lol that global health email made me jump😅😭

any updates? 😰

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember during my interview day, they said that the admissions committee and scholarship committee are separate, which is why some people get a scholarship with their A and some get a scholarship months later, and that sometimes people who have already been accepted don't hear back right when the admissions committee decides to accept them because the scholarship committee will make a decision soon. Does anyone know if that's true?
So you’re telling me I didn’t get the A today bc they’re waiting till next week to give me my scholarship?!?!?! NICE 😎😎😎😎

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Post II R just now. Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist.

• Care
Post interview rejection, interviewed in October. Expected because I was very under their GPA range but damn it still hurt.

• Care
Post-ii R. Interviewed first day and killed the interview with a very high up interviewer saying that they would no doubt see me in the fall. Brutal but at least now I know. Congrats to all of those that have been accepted! DGSOM is awesome :)

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Post II-R at around 10:00 AM this morning, interviewed 10/16 :'( Congrats to everyone else who were accepted and hoping the best for y'all still on WL!

• Care