2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also rejected pre-II. Their email came at like 3 in the morning, oddly. No hard feelings!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone called the school and see if there's going to be anything exciting happening? :(

Has anyone called the school and see if there's going to be anything exciting happening? :(

I'm trying to avoid thinking about this school. At this point I'd be very very very pleasantly surprised to get an acceptance from DG, but my daily obsession with checking my portal and reading up on this thread (as entertaining as it's been) isn't conducive to great sleep hygiene or my overall anxiety levels. Come what may, I say. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to avoid thinking about this school. At this point I'd be very very very pleasantly surprised to get an acceptance from DG, but my daily obsession with checking my portal and reading up on this thread (as entertaining as it's been) isn't conducive to great sleep hygiene or my overall anxiety levels. Come what may, I say. Good luck everyone.
I agree. I should probably do the same for the sake of my well-being ;)

I'm just wondering if UCLA will accept a submitted manuscript (not yet approved)?

I'm just wondering if UCLA will accept a submitted manuscript (not yet approved)?
I had a submitted manuscript when I interviewed and they told me to get back to them when it is actually approved for publication. It never hurts to let them know that you are drafting a manuscript; but, if the information (experiments, results, etc.) are the same content that you included in your primary and secondary applications, I say don't bother updating them because in their eyes, a not-approved publication is just the same as taking your word that you did the research.

i'm not a current student... but i am a former student... why whats up?
A former UCLA undergrad student or UCLA med student? I was just wondering if a UCLA med student could shed some light on the discussion that has been going on lately with the environment in the medical school. I think that would save some of us a lot of grief and anxiety when making this choice.

Thanks!

UCLA Undergrad. Waiting to hear back from DG.

Undergrad environment: tough, competitive, but not "cut-throat" in my experiences. Then again, I tended to surround myself with people who like to collaborate and stay positive and not obsess over their place in the curve. I personally loved it here.

What I have heard from former undergrads who are 1st and 2nd years at DG:
They study a lot.
The class size is at times too large.
Great shadowing and varied clinical opportunities within the vast UCLA network. Their best experiences have been outside of the Ronald Reagan med center though.
Great profs.
Step I is a huge worry (like everywhere).
Living in LA is the expensive but awesome.

So....
Anyone else feel really underwhelmed at the Second Look Weekend?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a recent graduate of DGSOM and current resident at a UCLA affiliated hospital. I have been following this thread for a while and am disappointed to hear some of the recent tone regarding DGSOM as a school. I will point out that I was an undergrad here as well.

First off, I had a fantastic 4 years here. Yes I love UCLA as a university in general, so I may be really bias, but this school will provide you with great medical training in one of the best areas in the country, sunny Southern California. I did not have any of the negative experiences being told on this thread. Let me dispel some of the negative mojo based off my experiences:

1) DGSOM works you too hard: First and Second year I had ample time to study and also go out and do things I love to do including go to every UCLA football game, just about every home basketball game, frequent trips to Disneyland with college friends, and not to mention Friday and Saturday nights hanging with classmates. Heck I even had time to go to every UCLA football game as a 3rd and 4th year. So this talk about working you to the bone doesn't seem representative. I am no medical genius and had to study for exams but never came close to failing an exam. My work/school life balance was definitely manageable. Never ever did I feel shackled to the work here. I actually think most people here have the West Coast chill and relaxed atmosphere. Class time was manageable with only 15 (15!) hours of required attendance 1st and 2nd year with an additional 10 hours of lecture (all of which are video taped/podcasted). That's 25 hours of class a week, about 5 hours of classroom instruction/day. Yes there will be some self study and preparation at home, but this is a school where you have to be self motivated, things won't be spoon fed to you. Third year will be tough at any medical school but again I don't think I ever worked more than 80 hours a week (the same ACGME requirements that apply to residents) and those weeks were few and far between, most weeks were in the 60 hour range which for third year is manageable. 4th year will be variable based off how competitive specialty you go into, but UCLA doesn't work you any more than any other Ortho or Uro subI at any other medical school.

2) UCLA classes are too big: A large class give you such diverse claassmates from all walks of life, with different majors and experiences, and interested in just about every specialty. For first and second year, the whole class attends/podcasts the lecture in the morning and then the class is divided in 3 groups (50-60 students) to rotate through the afternoon labs Tues-Thurs. A lot of these labs are broken down into smaller groups of 8-10 students for the learning activities. PBL on Monday and Friday mornings are 8-9 students each. Anatomy has 3-4 students/body. So I think you do get a good faculty: student ratio. 3rd and 4th year typically has at most 2 other students with you on your team and there usually no animosity between them. Most of the time you will be the only 3rd or only 4th year on your ward team.

3) UCLA doesn't emphasize patient care: This is hogwash. From day one they emphasize the doctor-patient relationship and are always culturally sensitive care, especially given that Los Angeles is such a melting pot of different races/ethnicities/cultures. First and Second year has something called "Doctoring" where you spend you about a fifiteen afternoons each year in a small group of 8 students with two faculty members going over interviewing techniques and honing your humanistic skills to talk to patients. 3rd year this continues with "System Based Healthcare" which is held every 3 weeks where you leave the wards and come and discuss again in small groups your experiences with healthcare principles and ethics from your experiences third year. OSCE exams require written self reflection of watching the video of you interviewing the standardized patient. UCLA really emphasizes patient care.

4) UCLA graduates don't perform as well as the schools reputation suggests: I will be honest, the school does not teach to the boards. You will not be spoon fed Step 1 facts for the first two years. However this doesn't mean we don't do well on the boards. Our class average was 10 points over the national average for step 1 wit a lot of my friends breaking the 260 mark. The proof of performance is always in the match list and I can tell you that the match list is absolutely incredible. UCLA students typically like to stay near by so about 40% stay at a UCLA affiliated hospital (usually ranking the programs in their top 3), 20% go to bay area (mainly UCSF and Stanford), 15% stay somewhere else on the West Coast, and the rest go across the country, mainly to Chicago, Michigan, Texas, and the prestigious East Coast Programs in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, and North Carolina. And we match very well in competitive specialties like Derm, Ophtho, Ortho, Plastics and Uro. I got my number one choice and have a very strong suspicion that the program I ended up in ranked me to match.

5) UCLA students are stuck up/lame: Again not true. In a big class you will find people that are very similar to you and people very different from you. The diversity of the class is amazing. But the people are really fun, social, and driven. Our class had numerous hangouts, parties, and activities. We had block parties, beach days, ski trips, vegas trips, tailgates, football games, dinners and so much more. And that is just the organized class-wide stuff.

6) The faculty don't care about the students: False. The number 5 medical center in the nation and best on the west coast is staffed by the number 5 set of faculty physicians that care about your success. They come in teach in the lecture hall 1st and 2nd year and they are the ones leading your ward teams 3rd and 4th year. They are outstanding physician educators and they really care about medical students.

7) UCLA has malignant wards towards medical students: I was never abused or harassed in my 4 years. Period. I was given constructive criticism at times that I know made me a better physician, but I was never yelled at, thrown out of the OR, or used as a punching bag. Medicine is a stressful field and people will get frustrated, but never was the frustration taken out on me. Residents and Faculty always treated me with respect. And the school take medical student abuse very very seriously. One faculty member, Joyce Fried, has made it her mission to stamp out Gender and Power abuse in the UCLA culture. She has started several initiatives including resident awards, campaigns for abuse awareness, and safe havens and anonymous reporting of suspected abuse. You can check out her work in this 2012 article: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/medical-school-strengthens-efforts-238266. I felt really safe and never crossed my mind that anything would be used against me in my evaluations. I felt my evaluations accurately represented my performance on the wards.

8) UCLA doesn't provide great training: UCLA has one of the most diverse hospital systems, and is basically the only medical school rotating through them, so you don't often share the hospital or teams with other students (some places have Podiatry or DO students, but you don't really interact with them that much). We have 2 counties (Olive View and Harbor) that like all counties across the nation are understaffed and rely on medical students to get really involved. I was doing ABGs on my own, signing orders, putting in foleys and assisting residents in line placements at Harbor. We have a VA that has very bread and butter medicine in the veteran population. We have 2 state of the art private hospitals in Reagan and our affiliation with Cedars that sees some of the craziest, rarest stuff on the West Coast. We can rotate through Kaiser LA to see HMO care and their emphasis on population based medicine (although with the new med school opening there in a few years, not sure how much it will be open for UCLA students to rotate at). And with a diverse hospital system, you have a diverse patient population that really teaches you how to be a culturally competent, patient care first physician.

9) LA is expensive: Ok this is true, but I don't think it's as expensive as the Bay Area, Chicago, and Northeast. Rent will typically be about 1400 for a studio, 1700 for a one bedroom, and 2100 for a 2 bedroom. On campus housing and married/family housing are fair pricing. Traffic sucks and you will need a car given how spread out all our training sites are, but you get used to it.

10) Just a quick note about bureaucracy: This is a state institution, so it will have some of the red tape that comes with public institutions. But I don't think this is any more than other public schools and really it's usually over little things like delays in getting your 3rd year schedule for 2 weeks from the announced date, getting permits from the main campus to hold certain events on campus, applying for funding for projects, etc. I would be lying if I said it doesn't exist, but it never negatively impacted my abilities to succeed at this school.

I know this is one opinion but after going through the last 4 years and knowing what I know now, I would absolutely choose UCLA again for my medical school education. I felt my years here really prepared me for my residency training and my future career and provided the professional connections and awesome friends along the way. And I thought the work/school life balance as very manageable for me to enjoy time outside of school going home and seeing family, exploring SoCal, and hanging out with both college and medical school friends. Hope that helps clear up some of the stigma that is going around about DGSOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
I am a recent graduate of DGSOM and current resident at a UCLA affiliated hospital. I have been following this thread for a while and am disappointed to hear some of the recent tone regarding DGSOM as a school. I will point out that I was an undergrad here as well.

First off, I had a fantastic 4 years here. Yes I love UCLA as a university in general, so I may be really bias, but this school will provide you with great medical training in one of the best areas in the country, sunny Southern California. I did not have any of the negative experiences being told on this thread. Let me dispel some of the negative mojo based off my experiences:

1) DGSOM works you too hard: First and Second year I had ample time to study and also go out and do things I love to do including go to every UCLA football game, just about every home basketball game, frequent trips to Disneyland with college friends, and not to mention Friday and Saturday nights hanging with classmates. Heck I even had time to go to every UCLA football game as a 3rd and 4th year. So this talk about working you to the bone doesn't seem representative. I am no medical genius and had to study for exams but never came close to failing an exam. My work/school life balance was definitely manageable. Never ever did I feel shackled to the work here. I actually think most people here have the West Coast chill and relaxed atmosphere. Class time was manageable with only 15 (15!) hours of required attendance 1st and 2nd year with an additional 10 hours of lecture (all of which are video taped/podcasted). That's 25 hours of class a week, about 5 hours of classroom instruction/day. Yes there will be some self study and preparation at home, but this is a school where you have to be self motivated, things won't be spoon fed to you. Third year will be tough at any medical school but again I don't think I ever worked more than 80 hours a week (the same ACGME requirements that apply to residents) and those weeks were few and far between, most weeks were in the 60 hour range which for third year is manageable. 4th year will be variable based off how competitive specialty you go into, but UCLA doesn't work you any more than any other Ortho or Uro subI at any other medical school.

2) UCLA classes are too big: A large class give you such diverse claassmates from all walks of life, with different majors and experiences, and interested in just about every specialty. For first and second year, the whole class attends/podcasts the lecture in the morning and then the class is divided in 3 groups (50-60 students) to rotate through the afternoon labs Tues-Thurs. A lot of these labs are broken down into smaller groups of 8-10 students for the learning activities. PBL on Monday and Friday mornings are 8-9 students each. Anatomy has 3-4 students/body. So I think you do get a good faculty: student ratio. 3rd and 4th year typically has at most 2 other students with you on your team and there usually no animosity between them. Most of the time you will be the only 3rd or only 4th year on your ward team.

3) UCLA doesn't emphasize patient care: This is hogwash. From day one they emphasize the doctor-patient relationship and are always culturally sensitive care, especially given that Los Angeles is such a melting pot of different races/ethnicities/cultures. First and Second year has something called "Doctoring" where you spend you about a fifiteen afternoons each year in a small group of 8 students with two faculty members going over interviewing techniques and honing your humanistic skills to talk to patients. 3rd year this continues with "System Based Healthcare" which is held every 3 weeks where you leave the wards and come and discuss again in small groups your experiences with healthcare principles and ethics from your experiences third year. OSCE exams require written self reflection of watching the video of you interviewing the standardized patient. UCLA really emphasizes patient care.

4) UCLA graduates don't perform as well as the schools reputation suggests: I will be honest, the school does not teach to the boards. You will not be spoon fed Step 1 facts for the first two years. However this doesn't mean we don't do well on the boards. Our class average was 10 points over the national average for step 1 wit a lot of my friends breaking the 260 mark. The proof of performance is always in the match list and I can tell you that the match list is absolutely incredible. UCLA students typically like to stay near by so about 40% stay at a UCLA affiliated hospital (usually ranking the programs in their top 3), 20% go to bay area (mainly UCSF and Stanford), 15% stay somewhere else on the West Coast, and the rest go across the country, mainly to Chicago, Michigan, Texas, and the prestigious East Coast Programs in NYC, Boston, Baltimore, and North Carolina. And we match very well in competitive specialties like Derm, Ophtho, Ortho, Plastics and Uro. I got my number one choice and have a very strong suspicion that the program I ended up in ranked me to match.

5) UCLA students are stuck up/lame: Again not true. In a big class you will find people that are very similar to you and people very different from you. The diversity of the class is amazing. But the people are really fun, social, and driven. Our class had numerous hangouts, parties, and activities. We had block parties, beach days, ski trips, vegas trips, tailgates, football games, dinners and so much more. And that is just the organized class-wide stuff.

6) The faculty don't care about the students: False. The number 5 medical center in the nation and best on the west coast is staffed by the number 5 set of faculty physicians that care about your success. They come in teach in the lecture hall 1st and 2nd year and they are the ones leading your ward teams 3rd and 4th year. They are outstanding physician educators and they really care about medical students.

7) UCLA has malignant wards towards medical students: I was never abused or harassed in my 4 years. Period. I was given constructive criticism at times that I know made me a better physician, but I was never yelled at, thrown out of the OR, or used as a punching bag. Medicine is a stressful field and people will get frustrated, but never was the frustration taken out on me. Residents and Faculty always treated me with respect. And the school take medical student abuse very very seriously. One faculty member, Joyce Fried, has made it her mission to stamp out Gender and Power abuse in the UCLA culture. She has started several initiatives including resident awards, campaigns for abuse awareness, and safe havens and anonymous reporting of suspected abuse. You can check out her work in this 2012 article: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/stories/medical-school-strengthens-efforts-238266. I felt really safe and never crossed my mind that anything would be used against me in my evaluations. I felt my evaluations accurately represented my performance on the wards.

8) UCLA doesn't provide great training: UCLA has one of the most diverse hospital systems, and is basically the only medical school rotating through them, so you don't often share the hospital or teams with other students (some places have Podiatry or DO students, but you don't really interact with them that much). We have 2 counties (Olive View and Harbor) that like all counties across the nation are understaffed and rely on medical students to get really involved. I was doing ABGs on my own, signing orders, putting in foleys and assisting residents in line placements at Harbor. We have a VA that has very bread and butter medicine in the veteran population. We have 2 state of the art private hospitals in Reagan and our affiliation with Cedars that sees some of the craziest, rarest stuff on the West Coast. We can rotate through Kaiser LA to see HMO care and their emphasis on population based medicine (although with the new med school opening there in a few years, not sure how much it will be open for UCLA students to rotate at). And with a diverse hospital system, you have a diverse patient population that really teaches you how to be a culturally competent, patient care first physician.

9) LA is expensive: Ok this is true, but I don't think it's as expensive as the Bay Area, Chicago, and Northeast. Rent will typically be about 1400 for a studio, 1700 for a one bedroom, and 2100 for a 2 bedroom. On campus housing and married/family housing are fair pricing. Traffic sucks and you will need a car given how spread out all our training sites are, but you get used to it.

10) Just a quick note about bureaucracy: This is a state institution, so it will have some of the red tape that comes with public institutions. But I don't think this is any more than other public schools and really it's usually over little things like delays in getting your 3rd year schedule for 2 weeks from the announced date, getting permits from the main campus to hold certain events on campus, applying for funding for projects, etc. I would be lying if I said it doesn't exist, but it never negatively impacted my abilities to succeed at this school.

I know this is one opinion but after going through the last 4 years and knowing what I know now, I would absolutely choose UCLA again for my medical school education. I felt my years here really prepared me for my residency training and my future career and provided the professional connections and awesome friends along the way. And I thought the work/school life balance as very manageable for me to enjoy time outside of school going home and seeing family, exploring SoCal, and hanging out with both college and medical school friends. Hope that helps clear up some of the stigma that is going around about DGSOM.

Thanks for sharing that!

Thanks for sharing your experience :):):)

Reactions: 2 users
For those of us who haven't heard post-interview, should we be assuming we won't hear anything until around April 30th or shortly after?

For those of us who haven't heard post-interview, should we be assuming we won't hear anything until around April 30th or shortly after?
Well there's still a possibility that DGSOM may release more acceptances before then but for most schools I'm waitlisted at, this is considered the dead month bc there's technically no movement whatsoever until after the April 30 deadline.

From what I heard through my friend's friend, there is at least one wave (likely only one) in April.

Since they just had second look, they'll probably lose some people this week, and it would seem logical to hold off on sending the next wave until after that has happened. Given how slow they've been so far, I'd put my money on not hearing anything until the week of 4/18. Then they can also have enough time to get an accurate head count before rolling in to May and wait-list.

Yes, this is entirely speculation, but it fits with what we've seen so far.

Reactions: 1 users
I know I have been holding a spot and will be withdrawing within the next week, so hopefully someone will get my spot soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Also very likely withdrawing, so hopefully one of you fine Californians gets that spot

Reactions: 8 users
I know I have been holding a spot and will be withdrawing within the next week, so hopefully someone will get my spot soon!

Also very likely withdrawing, so hopefully one of you fine Californians gets that spot

I'll just put this here:

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now, so we'll hunt him. Because he can take it, because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight."

In honor of the sacrifices made on April 6, 2016. SDN UCLA 2015-2016

Reactions: 11 users
From what I heard through my friend's friend, there is at least one wave (likely only one) in April.

Since they just had second look, they'll probably lose some people this week, and it would seem logical to hold off on sending the next wave until after that has happened. Given how slow they've been so far, I'd put my money on not hearing anything until the week of 4/18. Then they can also have enough time to get an accurate head count before rolling in to May and wait-list.

Yes, this is entirely speculation, but it fits with what we've seen so far.

I've heard at this point in the cycle, we're most likely to hear back (if at all) in May and some in June.

I've heard at this point in the cycle, we're most likely to hear back (if at all) in May and some in June.

There is going to be a lot of movement after April 30th as theboatman pointed out. Most in the 1st wave matriculate at other competitive schools. We already know two who are withdrawing and this is before the deadline to hold one acceptance. Keep up the hope!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like no one who interviewed in late Feb or March have heard anything. which means we were basically interviewing for these later waitlist spots... That's frustrating

Reactions: 5 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like no one who interviewed in late Feb or March have heard anything. which means we were basically interviewing for these later waitlist spots... That's frustrating
Totally agree.

For anyone who has had to fulfill prereqs over the summer in order to matriculate, how were you informed you would have to do this?

For anyone who has had to fulfill prereqs over the summer in order to matriculate, how were you informed you would have to do this?

Would also like to know the answer to this question, if anyone has insight

Just look at the prereqs listed here: http://medschool.ucla.edu/apply-prerequisites.

If you haven't completed them, do it before school starts in August. Why would they need to alert you of prereqs you need to complete when it's listed on the website?

Sometimes it's not 100% clear if a class at your university can count for a prerequisite. Especially with the differences in quarter vs semester systems. For example at my university I didn't take two full years of chem, but I completed the inorganic and organic series in 5 quarters.

Sometimes it's not 100% clear if a class at your university can count for a prerequisite. Especially with the differences in quarter vs semester systems. For example at my university I didn't take two full years of chem, but I completed the inorganic and organic series in 5 quarters.

I believe that's even how it is at UCLA for undergrad. It is CHEM 14 A through D (only 4 quarters and lower division at that) along with 2 separate lab classes that are one quarter each. Would this even satisfy the prerequisites for DGSOM? It doesn't look like it but this is their undergrad institution. Very curious.

^From my understanding:

Chem 14A + Chem14B + Chem14BL = one year inorganic chem
Chem 14C + Chem14D +Chem14CL = one year organic chem

^Even more curious is how Life Science 1,2,3,4 and 23L equals 1 year of bio. ;)

^From my understanding:

Chem 14A + Chem14B + Chem14BL = one year inorganic chem
Chem 14C + Chem14D +Chem14CL = one year organic chem

I just find it weird because at my alma mater it was CHEM 6A-6C + CHEM 6BL for inorganic and CHEM 140A-C + CHEM 143A for organic chem and that accounted for 2 full years. So how would that work for those who take less courses to have it be a full year. 23 units versus 31 units.

^Even more curious is how Life Science 1,2,3,4 and 23L equals 1 year of bio. ;)

My understanding is that it would then be over a year of bio. 3 quarters = 1 year. UCLA life sciences pre-reqs thus covers almost 2 years of biology.

I just find it weird because at my alma mater it was CHEM 6A-6C + CHEM 6BL for inorganic and CHEM 140A-C + CHEM 143A for organic chem and that accounted for 2 full years. So how would that work for those who take less courses to have it be a full year. 23 units versus 31 units.

I believe different undergrad institutions have different policies on what constitutes a full year. Moreover, what each school sets for their undergrad pre-requisites do not necessarily align with what is required for grad school.

If your school is on the quarter system, it is possible that what your undergrad covers is extraneous to the requirement if you complete 4 quarters of chem when only 3 are required.

Current UCLA students, is there hope for any substantial aid (besides the 10k move-in thing) for those who don't get the Geffen or Leaders Scholarship?

Current UCLA students, is there hope for any substantial aid (besides the 10k move-in thing) for those who don't get the Geffen or Leaders Scholarship?

My guess is not (at least, I can't remember Dr. Hall or any of the admissions staff making any mention of such). However, I remember they emphasized that they will guide you in establishing residency in CA to get in-state tuition, if you wish, which saves you ~$12k/yr, FWIW.

Does anyone remember when we can call about our position on the waitlist? May, if I recall? And did Dr. Hall say that they would have an idea where we were on the list at that time?

Useful info for some:
I was told by financial aid office that they do not redisburse David Geffen Scholarships and that there is no "waitlist" for these or other scholarships.

I will be withdrawing today for cheaper options, so good luck to all still waiting! I know students at UCLA med school and they are just as happy/miserable as my friends at UCSD, Harvard, BU and Minnesota. Don't listen to the haters.

Useful info for some:
I was told by financial aid office that they do not redisburse David Geffen Scholarships and that there is no "waitlist" for these or other scholarships.

I will be withdrawing today for cheaper options, so good luck to all still waiting! I know students at UCLA med school and they are just as happy/miserable as my friends at UCSD, Harvard, BU and Minnesota. Don't listen to the haters.

What is meant by "do not redisburse David Geffen Scholarships"? Is that to say that students who were admitted and offered a full-ride, if they withdraw and enroll at a different School instead, these funds will not be offered to another student?

What is meant by "do not redisburse David Geffen Scholarships"? Is that to say that students who were admitted and offered a full-ride, if they withdraw and enroll at a different School instead, these funds will not be offered to another student?

Yes. They always over-offer the scholarships with the expectation that roughly half of them will be declined.

So they intend to have ~15 per year and offer ~30 Geffen's per year.

That is what I was told. I was pretty direct with the question.

That is what I was told. I was pretty direct with the question.

Thanks for clarifying!

That's so odd! At my interview, Dean Hall said their goal is for every year to have around 35-40 students be Geffen scholars, and they're also hoping to increase that in the future. I'm trying to remember now, and it's been a while, but I could have sworn he said these were the number of students in each class that get the Geffen, not the number of offers extended.

Reactions: 1 users
Question:

I would reallllly like to matriculate at DG (like many of you).

But that will depend somewhat on the finances. #broke Some private schools have offered some help but ... I am still on the fence.

So I want to write a letter to DG, but I don't want to lie and say "if you accept me, I will for sure go here". Is there a way to nicely say, "please accept me and let me consider your program + ultimate cost"?