2015-2016 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everybody! I won't be here anymore when you start (whoa...) but happy to answer questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking forward to applying to UCLA, but have heard conflicting opinions regarding their in-state bias. I will be an OOS applicant, so I was wondering how the odds are stacked?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking forward to applying to UCLA, but have heard conflicting opinions regarding their in-state bias. I will be an OOS applicant, so I was wondering how the odds are stacked?
No in-state bias at UCLA! Straight from the website:

"Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 175 freshman, 85 percent were from California."

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/admiss/admreq.cfm

Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:
@Ismet, there was a really nice thread up here before for UCLA 2015-2016 application cycle, I believe created by @hellanutella, that had a ton of useful info - like important dates in the cycle, admissions stats of number interviewed and accepted, secondary prompts from last year...is there a way to get that old thread back or at least that post?

@Ismet, there was a really nice thread up here before for UCLA 2015-2016 application cycle, I believe created by @hellanutella, that had a ton of useful info - like important dates in the cycle, admissions stats of number interviewed and accepted, secondary prompts from last year...is there a way to get that old thread back or at least that post?

The threads were completely recreated, so I don't think the original posts can be retrieved. However, all that info is in a live GoogeDoc (also see my signature). So if any current students see some info that needs editing or anything that they'd like to add/correct, just plug it into the doc. :)

Stats *info obtained from @alt12345*
Note: This info is specific to the Geffen program, not the Drew or PRIME programs. ~7,000 applicants (66% in-state)
~3,000 secondaries
~700 interviewed (75% in-state)
~250 accepted (75% in-state)
~130 matriculants (85% in-state), ~180 if Drew/PRIME are included

Instate bias: "No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California." (Admissions website)

2014-2015 Secondary Application (note that there is a pre-screen)
Secondary application and status page
Prompts for secondary application 2014-2015 cycle (may be different this year):
800 characters for each:

1. Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
  2. What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
  3. What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
  4. What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
  5. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
  6. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  7. List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
  8. If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.
  9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?
  10. One question asking you to describe what you've done if you've taken more than 1 year off of school.
2014-2015 Important Dates
First acceptance: January 16th, 2015 via email (states that decision letter has been sent)

Curriculum
Traditional 2-year, pass/fail preclinical.

Interview
UCLA uses the MMI. Applicants are allowed to take notes before entering each station.

Update Letter Policy
Updates are accepted pre-interview and post-interview. They may be sent to [email protected]

Of Note
  • UCLA notifies David Geffen scholars of their award within their acceptance letter
    • Generally, up to 33 of these scholarships are offered each year.
    • “The scholarships provide full financial support to outstanding students entering the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, covering 100 percent of the instate or out-of-state cost of attending medical school-a complete living stipend, including tuition, room and board, books and supplies. The scholarship covers these costs for the duration of medical school, provided scholars remain in good standing.”
  • For the past two years, all matriculating students have received a $10K scholarship to help offset initial costs.
  • The Geffy Guide, a guide to DGSOM incoming students created by current students

Reactions: 5 users
Does UCLA prefer students who speak Spanish?

I haven't started yet, but I am an incoming student who was awarded a Geffen scholarship. I can answer any questions about application process as I just did it and maybe later in the cycle more about the actual school once we start in August.

Is it worth it for me to apply with a 3.7/33? Do I have a chance at a secondary?

Is it worth it for me to apply with a 3.7/33? Do I have a chance at a secondary?
Their current students' stats are a really broad range (according to the MSAR). I would venture to say that DGSOM considers non-academic experiences just as heavily as your academic record. I know of a few accepted students who took the MCAT multiple times or had GPAs on the lower end of the national average but had life experiences that boosted their competitiveness.
I personally almost didn't apply here because I didn't think I had a chance at even a secondary (lower LizzyM, nontraditional student) but I'll be attending DGSOM starting this year! You never know unless you try!

Members don't see this ad :)
Their current students' stats are a really broad range (according to the MSAR). I would venture to say that DGSOM considers non-academic experiences just as heavily as your academic record. I know of a few accepted students who took the MCAT multiple times or had GPAs on the lower end of the national average but had life experiences that boosted their competitiveness.
I personally almost didn't apply here because I didn't think I had a chance at even a secondary (lower LizzyM, nontraditional student) but I'll be attending DGSOM starting this year! You never know unless you try!

Thanks for the insight, and congratulations!

Is there a difference between PRIME and Drew? I can't really tell from the websites. I am interested in eventually working in the underserved community--would it make sense to apply to all three programs?

I didn't know that UCLA didn't technically have an in-state bias. Interesting.

Yeah a lot of the UCs say that. It's weird..

I guess it's a sheer numbers game that ends up giving mostly CA students, i.e. there are just so many of them applying that that naturally populates those schools very highly with CA residents?

I guess it's a sheer numbers game that ends up giving mostly CA students, i.e. there are just so many of them applying that that naturally populates those schools very highly with CA residents?
And they're more likely to attend given the IS tuition

Would love to attend my parent's alma mater. Westwood is awesome too.

Ok.... does anyone know if David Geffen is lenient on their course requirements? I didn't take Calc in college (have AP Calc BC)...and it's keeping me from applying to UCLA :( :(

Ok.... does anyone know if David Geffen is lenient on their course requirements? I didn't take Calc in college (have AP Calc BC)...and it's keeping me from applying to UCLA :( :(
Could you apply and then complete it before matriculation?

Could you apply and then complete it before matriculation?

Erm... I guess I could. I graduated already and am working full time now, so it wouldn't be ideal... but if that's what it takes :shrug: I just didn't know if there was any leniency on this or if it's a strict requirement hahh

I graduated already and am working full time now, so it wouldn't be ideal...

Well you have to quit your job anyway lol. I think the way it goes is that you can mark them as future classes, and then they may offer admittance on the agreement that you complete the classes before matriculation. I don't know how it would work for UCLA specifically though.

It says on MSAR that it does not accept AP credit for calculus. Maybe you should list it as future coursework and take it at a CC.
"...although these requirements need not be completed at the time application for admission is filed." http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/offices/admiss/admreq.cfm

Doesn't affect applying. Apply and IF you get in, start worrying about these things. Not before then

Doesn't affect applying. Apply and IF you get in, start worrying about these things. Not before then

Whaaat?! what if i got in late in the cycle but didn't have sufficient time to complete the course before matriculation i.e. at a community college?

also, wouldn't they have screened your app to see if you have taken it or have plans to take it prior to even an interview?

Whaaat?! what if i got in late in the cycle but didn't have sufficient time to complete the course before matriculation i.e. at a community college?

also, wouldn't they have screened your app to see if you have taken it or have plans to take it prior to even an interview?
That's why you're supposed to indicate that you will be taking it in the future. And my recommendation is to take it either fall or spring at a CC.

Even if they accepted you, they can still kick you out if you didn't take calculus.

I don't think schools do this. At least, that's what the adcoms here have always insisted, that no one looks at the reqs in detail until post-acceptance b/c it's not worth wasting that time. Take it over the summer if need be when they get up on your butt and you can even try to appeal. Because honestly, the odds are that you're not getting in (and neither are we), so IMO not worth the advanced planning for just one school.

Does anybody know if we should assign LORs to UCLA prior to being notified if we get a secondary? I already submitted, but I was basically unsure if they would take LORs into account during the prescreening process.

EDIT: Jk checked UC websites, they don't ask for LORs unless you receive a secondary.

Last edited:
Soo, I'm looking at their secondary prompts from last year. Question for yall:

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

....so wasn't this answered in my PS and most meaningful? Is the general consensus to choose something other than what was discussed in the MM section or in the PS?

Soo, I'm looking at their secondary prompts from last year. Question for yall:

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

....so wasn't this answered in my PS and most meaningful? Is the general consensus to choose something other than what was discussed in the MM section or in the PS?

I would be inclined to talk again about the volunteer experience I did that was the most important to me, even though it was a MM on AMCAS. I didn't get to say all that I wanted to say about it, even though I didn't mention it in the PS and got the extra characters for MM. Just because I already talked about it in AMCAS doesn't change the fact that it was the most important volunteer work I've done, you know?

Would love to hear other perspectives on this, though.

Sometimes interviews are closed file and your interviewers may only read your secondaries and not the primary. Thus the redundant questions. I would just answer the question honestly, even if repetitive.

Unless a current UCLA student can chime in

are you supposed to answer all 10 prompts??

The threads were completely recreated, so I don't think the original posts can be retrieved. However, all that info is in a live GoogeDoc (also see my signature). So if any current students see some info that needs editing or anything that they'd like to add/correct, just plug it into the doc. :)

Stats *info obtained from @alt12345*
Note: This info is specific to the Geffen program, not the Drew or PRIME programs. ~7,000 applicants (66% in-state)
~3,000 secondaries
~700 interviewed (75% in-state)
~250 accepted (75% in-state)
~130 matriculants (85% in-state), ~180 if Drew/PRIME are included

Instate bias: "No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California." (Admissions website)

2014-2015 Secondary Application (note that there is a pre-screen)
Secondary application and status page
Prompts for secondary application 2014-2015 cycle (may be different this year):
800 characters for each:

1. Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?
  2. What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?
  3. What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?
  4. What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?
  5. What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.
  6. Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.
  7. List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).
  8. If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.
  9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?
  10. One question asking you to describe what you've done if you've taken more than 1 year off of school.
2014-2015 Important Dates
First acceptance: January 16th, 2015 via email (states that decision letter has been sent)

Curriculum
Traditional 2-year, pass/fail preclinical.

Interview
UCLA uses the MMI. Applicants are allowed to take notes before entering each station.

Update Letter Policy
Updates are accepted pre-interview and post-interview. They may be sent to [email protected]

Of Note
  • UCLA notifies David Geffen scholars of their award within their acceptance letter
    • Generally, up to 33 of these scholarships are offered each year.
    • “The scholarships provide full financial support to outstanding students entering the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, covering 100 percent of the instate or out-of-state cost of attending medical school-a complete living stipend, including tuition, room and board, books and supplies. The scholarship covers these costs for the duration of medical school, provided scholars remain in good standing.”
  • For the past two years, all matriculating students have received a $10K scholarship to help offset initial costs.
  • The Geffy Guide, a guide to DGSOM incoming students created by current students

are you supposed to answer all 10 prompts??
Yeah, if you even get a secondary, that is. I think it implies that some adcoms might only read the secondary and not your primary, hence the redundant questions?

For last year's question, "Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth," does anyone know if it wants us to write about some long-term adversity, or something like a short-term challenging situation/conflict?

For last year's question, "Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth," does anyone know if it wants us to write about some long-term adversity, or something like a short-term challenging situation/conflict?

incoming MS1 here. for me, i wrote approached this question like "the biggest challenge" question, so naturally, mine was more in the line of long-term adversity. but i think you can go either way. if you feel like you overcoming this short-term conflict really shows off your strengths and personality, then go for it! remember, this is a beast of a secondary, so the adcoms will have a great an idea of who you are after going through the entire thing

Thanks for your response, @bluemachine! I'm still trying to narrow down my topics, so any input (from anyone!) would be appreciated:

1. Reconciling with my Asian/Pacific American (APA) identity within the past year or so. As a Vietnamese American living in Little Saigon, I ran away from it when I went to college because I refused to be associated with the same old stereotypes and snap judgments. It wasn't until I became aware and involved in supporting movements such as Black Lives Matter did I dare to learn more and take pride in my heritage and APA identity.

2. Trying to support a queer (the resident's preferred term, not mine) female resident against a racist/homophobic/misogynistic co-RA, and having to watch her be removed from her floor because the area supervisor turned a blind eye. This supervisor also told me to not to seek support for the resident and myself because it was "unprofessional." I decided not to heed this warning and spoke with the department head over the course of several meetings. It ended up being too late for the resident to move back in (since it was the end of the year), but the supervisor suddenly "left" the department, which now has a system of bias reporting for the residents.

3. Getting an F (51% whoo-hoo) on my first physics exam, freaking out about it, and finally deciding to push down my pride to attend office hours. Worked with the professor through the semester, and ended the class with an A.

Reapplying here this year! I got a secondary last year but no interview. Anyone know how they view reapplicants?

@phuynh94 I'm a noob by all accounts, but here's my op:
Go #1. #3 is trite and so inconsequential in the long run. #2 sounds like the risk of someone misinterpreting part of the story and disagreeing with how you handled the situation. Also LGBT is just a little risky still given who usually sits on the committees. #1 is an immediate diversity pitch (always a good thing!) and it is something that people really struggle with, as is obvious in your case.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response, @bluemachine! I'm still trying to narrow down my topics, so any input (from anyone!) would be appreciated:

1. Reconciling with my Asian/Pacific American (APA) identity within the past year or so. As a Vietnamese American living in Little Saigon, I ran away from it when I went to college because I refused to be associated with the same old stereotypes and snap judgments. It wasn't until I became aware and involved in supporting movements such as Black Lives Matter did I dare to learn more and take pride in my heritage and APA identity.

2. Trying to support a queer (the resident's preferred term, not mine) female resident against a racist/homophobic/misogynistic co-RA, and having to watch her be removed from her floor because the area supervisor turned a blind eye. This supervisor also told me to not to seek support for the resident and myself because it was "unprofessional." I decided not to heed this warning and spoke with the department head over the course of several meetings. It ended up being too late for the resident to move back in (since it was the end of the year), but the supervisor suddenly "left" the department, which now has a system of bias reporting for the residents.

3. Getting an F (51% whoo-hoo) on my first physics exam, freaking out about it, and finally deciding to push down my pride to attend office hours. Worked with the professor through the semester, and ended the class with an A.

Personal opinion, would go with number two. Number one is good but not that strong of a differentiator (they have a lot of APA applicants), and number three is a tenuous route to run. While it may be initially risky, number two tells you how you were able to readily identify an institutional problem and GET IT SOLVED! That's a major accomplishment.

Plus it's UCLA, so aren't they liberal anyways?

i also think #3 is a dime a dozen, so take that one out. my first reaction was to go with #1, but @panda16 is right. there isn't anything that special about it (at least on the surface; you could have a very compelling story and make it a lot more memorable), so i would lean towards #2. but you have to be careful on how you approach such sensitive topics as #2

Thanks the feedback, all! :) I'm lazy, so the topic I write about for UCLA will most likely be recycled in other secondaries.

I think I will go with #1 on this one. #2 would require context that I can't provide in just 800 characters. Plus, I feel that I can squeeze topic #2 in the "most important accomplishment" essay by focusing on the the policy change (with the departmental Integrity award to boot! ;) )

Good luck on all of your applications!

So I was definitely an idiot and forgot to add two of my work experiences in my primary app. =_____=

Based on last year's prompts, for the secondary asking about work experience, are we expected to write a blurb for each activity? Or can I go with bullet points, like I did for the primary app? I want to add in all the information that I left out (hours, contact info, etc), but if UCLA expects things to be in paragraph form, I'll have to make do...

Thought long and hard about this but it looks like I won't be applying here! I think my heart is with Stanford instead. The monster secondary isn't worth the effort.

Best of luck everyone! Clearing out space here for ppl, 3.8/35 :p

Anyone know if UCLA is strict in enforcing the 1 non-science letter? Does it HAVE to be someone who taught you? the only non-science letter I have is a volunteer coordinator.

So I was definitely an idiot and forgot to add two of my work experiences in my primary app. =_____=

Based on last year's prompts, for the secondary asking about work experience, are we expected to write a blurb for each activity? Or can I go with bullet points, like I did for the primary app? I want to add in all the information that I left out (hours, contact info, etc), but if UCLA expects things to be in paragraph form, I'll have to make do...

you can do both. i did a short bullet point to give the bare details (like name, hours, PI, etc), and then wrote a little paragraph describing the work experience, though i think just bullet points will be fine as well.

Incoming MS1 here!!! I don't know much yet but I'm happy to answer questions about the app process now. In a month or so, I'll be able to speak to the actual school much better too! Really excited for y'all :) :) :)

Reactions: 7 users