2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
called as well. Upper 90s. I don't think they did that 10-80-10 this year. Seems like they already gave out all their acceptances before this week? And they're just releasing rankings and rejections this week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So.. does this mean if you are still on hold you are rejected? Trying to stay positive. I was an alternate last year around the low 90's and did not feel my interview when too well. This year with a masters degree and felt interview went well, I hope I get in..
I really hope that you get in. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
alternate #142. it doesnt make sense to me. I was in the low 90's last year and this year I have a masters degree and felt the interview went better. I guess I am going OOS.

I was told you that you can schedule an appointment to discuss your file but they wont begin scheduling these until the last week of May.

Anyone know if they offer exit interviews post rejection?

For those of you who applied a second time. What did you do to improve your app?

It's hard to imagine having a better app the second time around and getting a lower alternate #

alternate #142. it doesnt make sense to me. I was in the low 90's last year and this year I have a masters degree and felt the interview went better. I guess I am going OOS.
Ugh, I'm so sorry. ):

To anyone who applied last year,

When did they start to update what number they were at on the alternate list? I'm assuming it was after the date that you have to respond by?

So this year we won't hear anything until after May 6th??

For those of you who applied a second time. What did you do to improve your app?

It's hard to imagine having a better app the second time around and getting a lower alternate #
I re-took the MCAT and did significantly better on it, which I think was probably the kicker. I also had another year of once-weekly clinical volunteering under my belt, as well as some extra community volunteering. Those were my big changes. I didn't even get an interview last year.

Reactions: 4 users
To anyone who applied last year,

When did they start to update what number they were at on the alternate list? I'm assuming it was after the date that you have to respond by?

So this year we won't hear anything until after May 6th??

I would also appreciate knowing this! I was thinking the same thing, that we would have to wait for the list to be finalized before movement would start.

what a joke, alternate #83, reapplicant, IS
The only thing they told me to improve was mcat score, which I did significantly, I went from a 27 to a 513 which is the 89%
I also had three more docs recommend me this year and went on another medical mission to Mexico in addition to Haiti and Jamaica.

I am so shocked
At least I got into a DO school
it is going to be hard not be bitter at OHSU after this
I guess it wasnt meant to be.

The only thing they told me to improve was mcat score, which I did significantly, I went from a 27 to a 513 which is the 89%
I also had three more docs recommend me this year and went on another medical mission to Mexico in addition to Haiti and Jamaica.

I am so shocked
I'm so sorry :( I completely understand how frustrating that is....gosh and you kicked butt on the mcat!!! You will be an amazing doctor in 4 years regardless now :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just called the MD admissions office, Katy answered and said they are getting the updates to the portals out right now as fast as they can and they should be done by the end of the week. She didn't offer to look my file up, I expect they're getting a ton of calls and I'd recommend people to not call :)

Just called the MD admissions office, Katy answered and said they are getting the updates to the portals out right now as fast as they can and they should be done by the end of the week. Didn't offer to look my file up, I expect they're getting a ton of calls and I'd recommend people to stop calling :)

Same here. I called for an update about an hour ago and she said to check the portal. :/

I re-took the MCAT and did significantly better on it, which I think was probably the kicker. I also had another year of once-weekly clinical volunteering under my belt, as well as some extra community volunteering. Those were my big changes. I didn't even get an interview last year.
Last year I didn't even make the alternate list, this year was accepted outright in February. I added a full year of scribe work (40 hrs/wk) + leadership experience and rewrote all of my essays/personal statement. No change in MCAT. Overall my interview day felt very similar both years, although I did have one of the admissions deans as my interviewer in year one. This process is so whacky, I think you just have to grit your teeth and keep grinding. Things work out for a purpose in the end. Keep the faith folks!

Reactions: 5 users
Alternate high 90's just now. Finally done waiting after interviewing at the first date lol oh well. Congrats to those accepted and high on WL :)

Last year I didn't even make the alternate list, this year was accepted outright in February. I added a full year of scribe work (40 hrs/wk) + leadership experience and rewrote all of my essays/personal statement. No change in MCAT. Overall my interview day felt very similar both years, although I did have one of the admissions deans as my interviewer in year one. This process is so whacky, I think you just have to grit your teeth and keep grinding. Things work out for a purpose in the end. Keep the faith folks!

Good job. Do you mind sharing your MCAT? I'm at 504 over here. I'm wondering if I should retake or just add experience. I'm lacking some major volunteer hours.

I am so shocked

Damn, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure I know who you are since we interviewed on the same day. I was really rooting for you. But COMPNW is a great program and you're gonna be a great doctor! Good luck!

Whoa my portal says Withdrawn and that they got my notification that I wanted to withdraw. I definitely did not withdraw my application...

I am so shocked

I feel the same. Last year they told me to improve my interview skills. ]I felt my interview went better than last year (plus last year i had a family emergency and i was sick during the interview). Also this year I am graduating with a masters degree with graduate reasearch experience and a 3.9 GPA.

My waitlist number went from 92 to 142. Very disappointing. Its like a slap in the face.

Atleast i got in elsewhere.

Officially rejected :( interview in December, on hold 2/10, final decision 4/27

Whoa my portal says Withdrawn and that they got my notification that I wanted to withdraw. I definitely did not withdraw my application...
I withdrew this morning. I bet there was a mixup haha.

@chachi19 @muchkinworm

Pulling for you! Happy to see you are high on WL this year I know last year was tough for you. Hopefully see you in August! Best of luck!

Thank you!! I am trying to stay calm.. last year was quite the kicker, updating my portal the first day of classes to see if anyone bailed late.. as long as nothing else falls from the sky, I'd be excited to meet you in the Fall! No matter what though, I'm grateful for this last year as it really has shaped my future in terms of the kind of medicine and HOW I want to practice. I guess you can't regret perspective, though I am getting old ;)

@leahjafuturemd @ehk13 I am heartbroken for you guys... we were all in the same boat! At least we'll still be colleagues in the future :)

@flip_08 I was told that there wasn't anything I could improve upon really (waitlisted at #64 I think and only a few spots away from matriculation...). They did mention however that I should lengthen my experiences (I had 2 years of scribing, at least 3 of volunteering, 1 of serious leadership and 0.5 of lab research in addition to a thesis), but that my breadth of experience was good, but could include more direct patient care. But she said realistically that would be hard. I asked about a job I had just accepted at Planned Parenthood as a med assistant, and she hesitated saying that it would be a new experience, but if I could relate it and show why I care so deeply about this, then it would be meaningful. The single thing that was repeated at both interviews by me (even though last cycle I was so sick that my eardrums popped rendering me mostly deaf on my interview day) was that I was asked about my homesteading/farming hobbies in the San Francisco area, and I can't help it but I just get so excited talking about it.

TLDR; do what you LOVE in the next year, your passion is what pulls you through the interview. This is a LONG process with thousands of people and they have to somehow compare us unique and individual people against each other. Find your niche and stand out, and that may not even be healthcare/medically related.

Reactions: 3 users
Damn, I'm sorry. I'm pretty sure I know who you are since we interviewed on the same day. I was really rooting for you. But COMPNW is a great program and you're gonna be a great doctor! Good luck!

haha yea I was wearing the beige suit :)
Thanks!! yea I am very thankful to get to go there, it is a great school :)

Called and got it fixed from withdrawn to refused. Very good.

I feel the same. Last year they told me to improve my interview skills. ]I felt my interview went better than last year (plus last year i had a family emergency and i was sick during the interview). Also this year I am graduating with a masters degree with graduate reasearch experience and a 3.9 GPA.

My waitlist number went from 92 to 142. Very disappointing. Its like a slap in the face.

Atleast i got in elsewhere.

yea it is so hard to say what the reasons are...
except that we are all tough competition!
it sucks
but I am glad you got in somewhere else!!

Last edited:
Officially rejected. Ouch.

Especially hard to get over since I work here and have to show up everyday.

For everyone hanging on, you are almost to the end of this cycle. I was accepted 1 year ago today and some of you will be hearing that you are getting in off of the waitlist over the next few weeks/months. If you get in congrats on starting your journey! I look forward to meeting many of you soon. If you don't make it through this cycle than stop and re-evaluate, but don't give up on your dreams. I was a 3rd time reapplicant, so I can completely understand your frustrations. Keep digging deeper into yourself and the medical world until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is the best path for you and that you will be a successful student. This whole process is frustrating and exhausting, but this is just the start of a long journey in medicine. Just take it all one step at a time and focus on you (whether you are going to be a reapp or an MS1). Good luck to those of you still in limbo. :)

PS: I will say that the competition to get in keeps going up. More people are paying attention to this not so little school now. So if you feel you did better but you got moved out further on the waitlist it is probably due to the fierce competition and applicant pool this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew. Best of luck to all of you on the waitlist!

FWIW, I think they probably accepted more than 10% of the interviews before this week. I was at the Second Look Day last week (4/22) and there were three people from my interview day, and I know of at least one other accepted student from that day. That's 4/20, which is 20%. And another person there said there were four people from their interview day at the Second Look Day as well. So I suspect they may have been letting in more than 10%.

FWIW, I think they probably accepted more than 10% of the interviews before this week. I was at the Second Look Day last week (4/22) and there were three people from my interview day, and I know of at least one other accepted student from that day. That's 4/20, which is 20%. And another person there said there were four people from their interview day at the Second Look Day as well. So I suspect they may have been letting in more than 10%.

I was at that second look day as well. Did you receive any Financial Aid info yet or did anyone from your interview date receive their packets?

yea it is so hard to say what the reasons are...
except that we are all tough competition!
it sucks
but I am glad you got in somewhere else!!
I believe we will be going to PNWU together!

Also withdrew today! Hopefully there will be some movement soon on the list. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
So if people don't want their spot on the alternate list and our number stays the same for the cycle, is there actually a way to know how many people are below us when the list starts moving? Haha.

Are you referring to ghost spots? I believe I read in an earlier thread that once you are within 10 spots or so you can call and see if there are ghost spots ahead of you, but out of respect for the admissions staff it is not otherwise advised to call and make them tally up these spots... Also curious if people withdrawing above were accepted or where they rank in the alt list.

If the above theory is correct and more than 10% were accepted this year (which would explain the lack of group of accepts this week) does this mean less waitlist movement this year? I sure hope not, but am curious!

Reactions: 3 users
Are you referring to ghost spots? I believe I read in an earlier thread that once you are within 10 spots or so you can call and see if there are ghost spots ahead of you, but out of respect for the admissions staff it is not otherwise advised to call and make them tally up these spots... Also curious if people withdrawing above were accepted or where they rank in the alt list.

If the above theory is correct and more than 10% were accepted this year (which would explain the lack of group of accepts this week) does this mean less waitlist movement this year? I sure hope not, but am curious!
Yes! Thank you :) I am planning on moving because I'm in the low 70's but just in case they get to like 50 but there aren't actually 20 people left I'd love to know that before I pack up my life ;)

Yes! Thank you :) I am planning on moving because I'm in the low 70's but just in case they get to like 50 but there aren't actually 20 people left I'd love to know that before I pack up my life ;)

Of course! Best of luck to you and congrats on the acceptance! Sorry that was my first post and I do not know all of the quote vs. reply etiquette :D

Of course! Best of luck to you and congrats on the acceptance! Sorry that was my first post and I do not know all of the quote vs. reply etiquette :D
Haha no worries. Thank you, best of luck to you too! Applying to med school is definitely a sh** show haha.

Yeesh that's a scary thought

Did you interview at COMP-NW February 6th? If so, I think I remember you. If OHSU doesn't get down to 56 on the waitlist I'll be seeing you in Lebanon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

AH! no I am going to Lebanon, COMP NW ;)
we will be neighbors :)
Did you interview at COMP-NW February 6th? If so, I think I remember you. If OHSU doesn't get down to 56 on the waitlist I'll be seeing you in Lebanon!

Anyone else still not get an update?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

150+ on the alternate list. Looks like I will have to go the osteopathic route. REALLY was hoping I could go to a school with its own rotation sites and residencies, especially one as good as OHSU. I realize there isn't hope, is it weird that I am having a hard time emailing them to take me off the list?

This forum is so helpful through the process ,thanks for contributing everyone. I'll share what relevant information about the time line now that final updates are made, which I remember. Feel free to PM me for any other details.

IS
Submitted: August
completed app: middle sept
February( or January?): pre interview hold
Late March: Interview invite for very last available dates available
Mid April: post interview hold
29 April: Alternate list >150

Most interesting takeaway which I didn't know about OHSU before was that decisions are made based on the rubric: 40% MMI 40% 20 minute 1 on 1 interview, and 20% grades. I'm sure the application essays factor in to this, maybe 1 on 1 interview, but I understood this to be interview day heavily weighted. That can be stressful, but all the people during the interview process are really kind, even though it didn't work out for me it was still an enjoyable interview and nice school.

Last edited: