2021-2022 Oregon Health and Sciences University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else who interviewed around 1/28 hear back yet? I have to either except or reject a job offer tomorrow and I’m conflicted whether I still have a shot to get in or not… I know OHSU takes forever to respond but I really don’t want to be unemployed next year lol

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else who interviewed around 1/28 hear back yet? I have to either except or reject a job offer tomorrow and I’m conflicted whether I still have a shot to get in or not… I know OHSU takes forever to respond but I really don’t want to be unemployed next year lol
Is it healthcare related?
Are you likely to get another offer if it doesn’t work out?
If it is important, I would take the job, even if I had to leave by August. It’s better to be safe than regret it later especially when it comes to a a job.
Most people won’t have an answer until April 29 and even then the waitlist may last until August.
If you do get in and have to leave early… having uncomfortable conversation is good experience? Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Totally understand where you’re coming from and I also would be conflicted. Was in a similar situation to you and had some potential job opportunities when I was waiting to find out. I’m the type who wouldn’t want to take a job then leave real soon (or in my case, continue to progress through job interviews and waste everyone’s time). At the end of the day, the advice I got from many people was to look out for my own best interests and to continue planning my life as if I was not going to get in rather than put everything in my life on hold. But obviously you have to do what’s right for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted this morning! Interviewed 1/28. Holy moly third app cycle really is the charm I guess.

austin powers dance GIF

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
I'm tempted to write a letter of intent to OHSU, they seem to be my only hope right now. Although they say that additional information won't change anything... idk, I guess waiting to hear something back from them since my MMI on 10/14 is exhausting (I have not been put on hold). Checking my portal and email every morning. Answering any phone calls with the hopes that maybe OHSU changed the way they tell people that they're accepted. Congrats to those who have already received that A. And for the rest of us that are waiting to hear back whether you are on hold or not... hang in there.

Salud,

Whip_Cream

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm tempted to write a letter of intent to OHSU, they seem to be my only hope right now. Although they say that additional information won't change anything... idk, I guess waiting to hear something back from them since my MMI on 10/14 is exhausting (I have not been put on hold). Checking my portal and email every morning. Answering any phone calls with the hopes that maybe OHSU changed the way they tell people that they're accepted. Congrats to those who have already received that A. And for the rest of us that are waiting to hear back whether you are on hold or not... hang in there.

Salud,

Whip_Cream
Damn, same MMI day as me, I thought I waited forever. That stinks friend I'm sorry. The letter won't hurt, but I don't think it will do anything to change their file. I was thinking about it too but I think it would fall on deaf ears tbh.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users

Salud,

Whip_Cream
Unfortunately the letter won't make a difference. They use a point system to rank all their applicants, and how many points you have determines whether you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted and ultimately what the rank list order is.

Hold just now. Well at least after 13 weeks they finally looked at my app (interviewed 12/16). See y’all on April 29

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Damn, same MMI day as me, I thought I waited forever. That stinks friend I'm sorry. The letter won't hurt, but I don't think it will do anything to change their file. I was thinking about it too but I think it would fall on deaf ears tbh.
Yeah, I saw we had the same MMI date. Hopefully they'll look at my app soon.

Unfortunately the letter won't make a difference. They use a point system to rank all their applicants, and how many points you have determines whether you are accepted, rejected, or waitlisted and ultimately what the rank list order is.
You're right. Patience is a virtue. :(

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of acceptances have gone out at this point? Also, do they really release 80% of acceptances at the end of April or is this an over-exaggeration?

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of acceptances have gone out at this point? Also, do they really release 80% of acceptances at the end of April or is this an over-exaggeration?
I think my interview group was told that they release 80% of decisions (accept, refuse, alternate) at the end of April but I don't think told us what the proportion would be for acceptances vs. alternate or denial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Interviewed 1/14 and accepted 3/22!!!

Does anyone know what the average financial aid package is?

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Hi all,
Interviewed 1/14 and accepted 3/22!!!

Does anyone know what the average financial aid package is?
Not sure if this is at all helpful as my numbers were locked in when I matriculated and I'm in state (they have/had a guarantee that tuition would not rise once I started) or if this is even what you're looking for. But my tuition is ~$11k/term, estimated living expenses ~$6200/term, medical insurance ~$1500/term, some smaller miscellaneous fees, and then additional estimated costs depending on the year for taking Step 1, Step 2, etc.

With that said, as a student in Oregon with income < ~$18,000, you can qualify for Medicaid which eliminates the medical insurance and dental insurance costs. And nobody I know of actually ever bought the textbooks that OHSU lists, though some people used some of that money on other study resources (or a Mexico vacation). And then for those people that didn't get a scholarship coming in, like myself, as long as you stay in good academic standing (pass your classes) they usually give you a scholarship which for me has been around $3k/year. Also, if you plan things out reasonably well, you can graduate in March (137/149 students that are graduating in 2022 just did so) or take time off elsewhere and save a term or so worth of tuition costs, though you will then not qualify for living expenses so you'd need to juggle that ahead of time.

I found this link that has the numbers for this 2021-2022 year. Looks like the non-resident tuition is around $6k more each term compared to the resident tuition costs.

Hope this helps.

One more month everyone! We can do this.
1648648145609.png

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hold just now, interviewed mid February. See you in 30 days.

Attachments

• IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
This is the month y'all. The month we can finally (start) getting answers

ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!!
I’m in SUCH shock. I’m a re-applicant and had all but given up 😭
THERE IS HOPE

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
ACCEPTED JUST NOW!!!
I’m in SUCH shock. I’m a re-applicant and had all but given up 😭
THERE IS HOPE
Were you on hold, or did you get accepted straight out of the interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!! Post-hold, interviewed in February.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted!!! Post-hold, interviewed in February.
When did they tell you you were on hold? That just seems crazy to me that they’ve contacted you TWICE in the span of 8ish weeks but for some of us they haven’t told us anything in months…. OHSU has a truly wonky system. I’ve given up trying to guess when I’ll hear back

When did they tell you you were on hold? That just seems crazy to me that they’ve contacted you TWICE in the span of 8ish weeks but for some of us they haven’t told us anything in months…. OHSU has a truly wonky system. I’ve given up trying to guess when I’ll hear back
I think the issue is individual interviewers that only very rarely make it to committee meetings. I'm just guessing, though. Right there with you... no word for months

I was put on hold the week after my interview.

I also got the A by email yesterday after being on hold since November and interviewing in Sept. Definitely surprised to see something before 4/29! Good luck to everyone else on hold, I hope you all see some movement soon :)

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I also got the A by email yesterday after being on hold since November and interviewing in Sept. Definitely surprised to see something before 4/29! Good luck to everyone else on hold, I hope you all see some movement soon :)
Stats?

Post-hold R just now, was notified via email. Congratulations to those who got an acceptance, and best of luck to everyone still waiting.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Post 8 weeks since mid-february interview and no news at all :( anyone in the same boat?

Post 8 weeks since mid-february interview and no news at all :( anyone in the same boat?
I also interviewed mid february and haven't heard anything, but I think thats more hopeful than a rejection, the wait does suck though

I also interviewed mid february and haven't heard anything, but I think thats more hopeful than a rejection, the wait does suck though
+2. I'm trying to tell myself that I probably won't hear back until 4/30. Still suffering with waiting though

B02B2EE2-CCB3-4EDB-BC72-258A59941E22.jpeg

Sorry for lack of activity. Had to stay off this for my own sanity. Looks like medicine man has already surpassed my meme abilities anyway lol👍

Still on Hold, have a good week guys

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 12 users
Just put on hold. Interviewed January 28th. Literally I’m just grateful it wasn’t an outright rejection but April 30th could not come faster!

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed Mid February and just got put on hold, so glad its not a rejection and still holding out hope

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone who is apart of the accepted students Facebook group comment on how many members are in the group? I know there were about 80 members back in mid February but I’m curious to see how many more acceptances have been offered.

Can anyone who is apart of the accepted students Facebook group comment on how many members are in the group? I know there were about 80 members back in mid February but I’m curious to see how many more acceptances have been offered.
It's not a great measure because a number of students from other classes are usually also members of that group. The closer we get to the start of the school year, the more current students join so that we can help with the transition into school and then offer help through the first year. I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the numbers on FB.