2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FWIW, I think they probably accepted more than 10% of the interviews before this week. I was at the Second Look Day last week (4/22) and there were three people from my interview day, and I know of at least one other accepted student from that day. That's 4/20, which is 20%. And another person there said there were four people from their interview day at the Second Look Day as well. So I suspect they may have been letting in more than 10%.

I thought the way it works is that the 10% represents those who are outright accepted, while the rest go on hold or get rejected. Thus isn't it possible that those other accepted folks were only accepted after being put on hold?

Regardless, I don't think any of this would affect waitlist movement, because aren't there enough acceptances handed out to fill an entire class at this point? If that's the case, then the initial number of outright acceptances wouldn't affect anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought the way it works is that the 10% represents those who are outright accepted, while the rest go on hold or get rejected. Thus isn't it possible that those other accepted folks were only accepted after being put on hold?

Regardless, I don't think any of this would affect waitlist movement, because aren't there enough acceptances handed out to fill an entire class at this point? If that's the case, then the initial number of outright acceptances wouldn't affect anything.

I know we are all speculating here - but based on my understanding of the process as it was laid out on interview day, ROUGHLY 10% of each interview group is outright accepted while 80% are put on hold and 10% are rejected. As the interview cycle proceeds, people are accepted from the Hold group (there is evidence of this within this thread). There is a score threshold which one must surpass to be outright accepted. As mentioned above, this score is comprised of both interview day performance and grades (FWIW - it's likely not that simple as there must be adequate diversity within the class in multiple senses - gender, experiences, filling the required number of seats with in-state applicants etc.) It was specifically mentioned during my interview day that threshold can be slightly adjusted throughout the year based on how the class is coming together.

Therefore, there are several reasons that they did not admit a chunk of people from the Hold pool at the end of April as they have in previous years. It is possible that more people accepted their acceptance offers to OHSU than in prior years. It is also possible that they accepted more people from Hold throughout the cycle as opposed to the end of April. Each of these scenarios could explain what we've seen this cycle - even within the context of the 10/80/10 we've come to expect. Moral of the story, we will never fully understand the inner workings of the admissions process (unfortunately!) I only hope this discussion is helpful for next year's applicants as they embark along this crazy journey.

Looks like they have moved through the hold pool as the message on the portal has changed

"The entering placements have been chosen along with a ranked alternate list. The status of the alternate list will be online by mid-May. Alternate positions are held through Transition to Medical School (first-year student orientation), which begins on August 8, 2016.

Please continue to check the Admissions Portal for the most up-to-date information concerning your application."

Just so others on WL know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we are all speculating here - but based on my understanding of the process as it was laid out on interview day, ROUGHLY 10% of each interview group is outright accepted while 80% are put on hold and 10% are rejected. As the interview cycle proceeds, people are accepted from the Hold group (there is evidence of this within this thread). There is a score threshold which one must surpass to be outright accepted. As mentioned above, this score is comprised of both interview day performance and grades (FWIW - it's likely not that simple as there must be adequate diversity within the class in multiple senses - gender, experiences, filling the required number of seats with in-state applicants etc.) It was specifically mentioned during my interview day that threshold can be slightly adjusted throughout the year based on how the class is coming together.

Therefore, there are several reasons that they did not admit a chunk of people from the Hold pool at the end of April as they have in previous years. It is possible that more people accepted their acceptance offers to OHSU than in prior years. It is also possible that they accepted more people from Hold throughout the cycle as opposed to the end of April. Each of these scenarios could explain what we've seen this cycle - even within the context of the 10/80/10 we've come to expect. Moral of the story, we will never fully understand the inner workings of the admissions process (unfortunately!) I only hope this discussion is helpful for next year's applicants as they embark along this crazy journey.

Right, I agree with everything you said. I was referring to a comment posted above that speculated whether or not there would be less waitlist movement due to the 10/80/10 "rule" possibly not being adhered to this year. My point is that regardless of how many they accepted outright, there are now enough acceptances given out to theoretically fill out the entire class, so the timeline of when the acceptances were handed out shouldn't have any effect on waitlist movement.

But now that I think about it, I really don't see the logic of adhering to 10/80/10. I could see one reason for accepting 10% from each interview day -- perhaps this serves to standardize the process so that interviewees from interview days with more generously-scoring interviewers don't gain an advantage in the process. However, if this is the case, why limit it to 10% accepted -- why not bring that percentage up to fill out the entire class without putting people in the hold pool?

Anyways, yes, we shall never know the strange inner-workings of this crazy admissions process :happy:

All quiet on the western front. Hopefully we will see some WL movement in the ensuing days. The deadline for students with multiple acceptances, as well as the deadline for schools to make their decisions has passed, so it is reasonable to assume that they are at least capable of moving along soon! You do know what they say about assumptions though...

Reactions: 2 users
All quiet on the western front. Hopefully we will see some WL movement in the ensuing days. The deadline for students with multiple acceptances, as well as the deadline for schools to make their decisions has passed, so it is reasonable to assume that they are at least capable of moving along soon! You do know what they say about assumptions though...
I think this weekend or Monday we'll see movement since the deadline was May 6th to stay on the WL :)

Just as a heads up for those on the waitlist anxiously awaiting movement... Katy made it a point during second look day to say that OHSU takes a very relaxed view toward the April 30th traffic deadline and asked that we just let her know within "a few weeks" with a decision. Granted other schools may not be in the same boat, which will facilitate the movement anyways, but just wanted to mention it! Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Just as a heads up for those on the waitlist anxiously awaiting movement... Katy made it a point during second look day to say that OHSU takes a very relaxed view toward the April 30th traffic deadline and asked that we just let her know within "a few weeks" with a decision. Granted other schools may not be in the same boat, which will facilitate the movement anyways, but just wanted to mention it! Good luck everyone.

Thanks for letting us know! I've heard the same :) trying to wait patiently haha :whistle:

Speaking of second look days, what was the attire?

"Business Casual" on the email. I was there on a typical Portland day though, so the majority of us were wearing rain coats. Only 1-2 people with ties.

Hey all, first post here.

Just wanted to add since I've benefited a lot from this thread. I was at #6 and just got in off of the waitlist.

Good luck to all of you!

Reactions: 5 users
IT HAS BEGUN!!!

I just got off the waitlist just under 20 mins ago.... #16 here!!

*uglycrying*

Reactions: 5 users
IT HAS BEGUN!!!

I just got off the waitlist just under 20 mins ago.... #16 here!!

*uglycrying*
Yay!!!! I just got accepted to gw but im pullin for my number 59! Go you guys!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted around 4pm today @ #12! Congrats to everyone and hoping for the best for all of you!!

Reactions: 4 users
Is the white coat ceremony on August 12th?

I met a bunch of accepted students at the 2nd look CDI dinner last night and was very pleased to hear so many interesting stories and excited students.
The wait list has started to slowly move and will be slow for a bit. There will likely be more movement by end of May or beginning of June.
I can't wait to get to know the med20 class and I also believe that anyone who didn't make it through the gauntlet this year will be able to get there if you buckle down and really figure out what you need to do to prove your competence and understanding of yourself and medicine! GL and enjoy your summer.

Probably been asked before, but is there a Facebook group?

Probably been asked before, but is there a Facebook group?
Just search for it :) OHSU (or spelled out) class of 2020, I just got added last night and they just posted a pic of our white coats.. lots of older students too there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

I was accepted a couple of months ago and never got added to the OHSU class of 2020 Facebook group. It doesn't show up when I search it either...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody have a copy of the projected 2016-2017 calendar? I swore Katy sent an email with it attached, but I can't find it anywhere...
She sent it as a link rather than an attachment:

2016-2017 Academic Calendar

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/st.../upload/Academic-Calendar-2016-2017_FINAL.pdf - School of Nursing dates are set apart. Everything not listed as SON pertains to the School of Medicine.

(SOM classes begin with Session B of Summer Term of August 8)

Congratulations to those that have gotten in and good luck to those waiting on the waitlist. I remember being in that position. Katy is absolutely wonderful and helpful for those with questions on the list. I can confirm that if you call when you are within 10 spots to ask how many "real" people are in front of you she will tell you. I don't know how it has been in the recent years but when I was on it typically movement on the portal showed up in the afternoon around 2-4 pm. Hopefully they will start updating the portal soon and people will post on here so someone can continue the waitlist trend graph that was begun several years ago.

Does this mean that winter break is 12/16 through 01/09? Am I reading that correctly for school of medicine?

Yes, this upcoming year we have a 3 week winter break instead of the normal 2 week. That doesn't normally happen, this year is an exception.

How long is the summer break? I remember it is really short, but I don't remember how many days it is...

Yes, this upcoming year we have a 3 week winter break instead of the normal 2 week. That doesn't normally happen, this year is an exception.
What about Thanksgiving - is there essentially no break at Thanksgiving? (Thanksgiving Day, at least, I hope?!)

For all those recently accepted -

Have any of you heard from OHSU about the second look day Friday the 20th? I'd like to go but haven't gotten an email about it or anything....

For all those recently accepted -

Have any of you heard from OHSU about the second look day Friday the 20th? I'd like to go but haven't gotten an email about it or anything....

I would just email Katy about it and tell her you're interested in going. She's super nice. I know there is one happening that day for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What about Thanksgiving - is there essentially no break at Thanksgiving? (Thanksgiving Day, at least, I hope?!)

It's a normal Thanksgiving break. Thursday and Friday. The weekend may vary depending on what rotation you are on but for 1st and 2nd years you are in pre-clinical training so you will have the whole time off.

Since people are asking about every break you also have a week off in September 19th-23rd 2016 for fall break. Winter break is December 19th - January 6th. Spring break is in March 27th-31st 2017.

Excited to be starting here this fall! How often should we expect tests/assessments of any sort?

They're at 21 as of today. Hopefully it keeps moving along..just about halfway to my number!

You get Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week off. All the holidays should be marked in yellow on the master calendar. That is your schedule until Dec of 2017. Welcome to med school life.

Excited to be starting here this fall! How often should we expect tests/assessments of any sort?

Exams every Friday. Sometimes up to three separate assessments of varying types. Expect your first 18 months to feel like finals week on steroids, except its every week :)

You will get used to the breakneck pace and settle into a groove. It is a ton of fun and an awesome feeling when things start to change from learning facts at a machine gun pace, to feeling like you have the beginnings of comprehensive medical knowledge.

It's a normal Thanksgiving break. Thursday and Friday. The weekend may vary depending on what rotation you are on but for 1st and 2nd years you are in pre-clinical training so you will have the whole time off.

Since people are asking about every break you also have a week off in September 19th-23rd 2016 for fall break. Winter break is December 19th - January 6th. Spring break is in March 27th-31st 2017.
Thank you!

You get Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving week off. All the holidays should be marked in yellow on the master calendar. That is your schedule until Dec of 2017. Welcome to med school life.
Katy sent us a calendar but there is nothing with days marked in yellow, etc.; it's a very general and abbreviated document. Is there a public site where we can look at some more detailed schedule?

Katy sent us a calendar but there is nothing with days marked in yellow, etc.; it's a very general and abbreviated document. Is there a public site where we can look at some more detailed schedule?
Hmmm, maybe they haven't released it to you yet. They will release it well before school starts so you can clearly see it. You will know it when you see it. Be patient until then. I know you are excited to get going, I was too, but staying busy is the quickest way to pass the time until then.

Random question, if my class set up sweatshirts or some kind of swag for you all to purchase with ohsu med 2020 on it, would you be interested? We thought you all might appreciate something to show it off a little. We were thinking of getting it prepped for the first few weeks of school. Just an idea, no promises but let me know!

Reactions: 9 users
Hmmm, maybe they haven't released it to you yet. They will release it well before school starts so you can clearly see it. You will know it when you see it. Be patient until then. I know you are excited to get going, I was too, but staying busy is the quickest way to pass the time until then.

Random question, if my class set up sweatshirts or some kind of swag for you all to purchase with ohsu med 2020 on it, would you be interested? We thought you all might appreciate something to show it off a little. We were thinking of getting it prepped for the first few weeks of school. Just an idea, no promises but let me know!
Yes!! That would be so cool

I'm a huge sucker for swag - aka - yes please t-shirts or sweatshirts would be great!

Last edited:

Sweatshirts yes!

Ok, based on the explosion of my notifications I would say that is a yes. We can work on it!

I just withdrew from my acceptance off the alternate list, I received an acceptance last week and was #20, so I hope that helps some people out who aren't too far away.

I loved OHSU and if I wasn't lucky enough to get into my top choice, this would have been the place for me. For those of you who will be matriculating, I wish you guys the best! I would also just like to give some of my feedback on the school since you guys are given the power to shape the school's curriculum. OHSU was such a wonderful experience but if there was one thing that I think could be changed is the idea of being booked from 8am to 5pm every day, which gives little time to do other things. Maybe the number of engagements can be decreased perhaps? I love that OHSU gives its students the opportunity to help shape the school, and just wanted to share an opinion.

As for those of you who are still waiting, hang in there! I was OOS and never thought this school would take a look at me. Don't lose faith and stay positive!

Reactions: 3 users
I just withdrew my acceptance as well. It made me really sad because I loved OHSU. It's just too expensive compared to my other offer. Best of luck to you all! You'll have an amazing time!

Whoever is on the waitlist should update this page with the changes to how far it has gone on the waitlist so future applicants can continue the waitlist graph that has been showing trends for the past several years.