2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OHSU just received my FAFSA. at this point in the cycle is there any chance of me getting any aid

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi team! Has anyone else not had any update to their portal at all? Mine still says "on-hold".
I emailed admissions and Kari with no luck and wondering if anyone has any tips? I'm guessing I didn't earn a spot on the waitlist if I haven't heard anything, but holding out some hope!

The pain.

I'm actually really lucky and have been talking to people for advice. One doc is going to ask if they are okay to bring non-students in for rotations. Meanwhile, I am going to start training to volunteer with a palliative care center.

I'm applying for other jobs right now! OHSU is quite slow looking through apps....but we all know this ;)

Does anyone want to do an essay swap? This doc said mine wasn't bad, but in the end, he wasn't sure that he had learned anything about me. Which is completely fair. I struggled with writing a cohesive statement about wanting to be a physician as a non-trad who works in medicine-adjacent.

Thank you everyone :)
I'd be happy to be an extra set of eyes for you if you ever need a reader/edits

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When do you guys think the waiting list will start moving? 🤔

Hi team! Has anyone else not had any update to their portal at all? Mine still says "on-hold".
I emailed admissions and Kari with no luck and wondering if anyone has any tips? I'm guessing I didn't earn a spot on the waitlist if I haven't heard anything, but holding out some hope!
The same thing happened to me but I’m a dual degree applicant so I emailed the admissions rep for the dual degree and they told me I was an alternate! Don’t lose hope - I think it is a glitch in the system. Keep emailing until you get an answer.

The same thing happened to me but I’m a dual degree applicant so I emailed the admissions rep for the dual degree and they told me I was an alternate! Don’t lose hope - I think it is a glitch in the system. Keep emailing until you get an answer.
thanks SO much!! I really appreciate it :) I am a dual degree applicant as well (MD/MPH), and I've emailed Kari and the regular admissions email ([email protected]). Is there a more direct admissions email that you know of for MD/MPHers?

Found out via email that im in the nosebleeds on the waitlist...devastated. OHSU was my dream school. This one hurts ngl
Sorry to hear that. OHSU seems to be super competitive, so try not to lose all hope. I have talked to a few people that passed on their OHSU acceptances and I was shocked where their other offers were coming from. After I was ghosted last year, I just told myself that all they could do is give me time to become a more compelling applicant (I went from ghost to WL, so I guess it is working). Then again, I also plan to work until I am in the grave and don't mind if I die with school loans.

thanks SO much!! I really appreciate it :) I am a dual degree applicant as well (MD/MPH), and I've emailed Kari and the regular admissions email ([email protected]). Is there a more direct admissions email that you know of for MD/MPHers?
Yes! I emailed Dr. Foster ([email protected]) who is in charge of the MD/MPH program. He responded to me in a couple of hours!

I emailed and was told my position, I'm an MD/MPH applicant. It's not a great number at all, it's above 80....not sure how to take this.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
anyone else's portal still bugging? mine has been broken ever since I hit the button to stay on the alternate list and I'm stressing they don't know I want to 😭

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed and was told my position, I'm an MD/MPH applicant. It's not a great number at all, it's above 80....not sure how to take this.
I’m so sorry, my friend. Keep your chin up!

Which email did you send your inquiry to?

Is anyone else still getting the long bunch of coding on their portal? I still am...

Anyone know where they're at accepting people off the alternate list? I thought they were gonna post status updates about where they're at on that list?

Anyone know where they're at accepting people off the alternate list? I thought they were gonna post status updates about where they're at on that list?
the email says "The status of the alternate list will be online by late-May"

the email says "The status of the alternate list will be online by late-May"
So do we think they won't be accepting anyone until then? Last year this time they were already at 24-ish and by late-May, I should be turning in a reapplication then 😭

So do we think they won't be accepting anyone until then? Last year this time they were already at 24-ish and by late-May, I should be turning in a reapplication then 😭
it’s definitely not helpful to make an informed decision about whether to apply again.

Further, was it formally announced that the class size was cut and could that be contributing to the lack of movement?

Last edited:
it’s definitely not helpful to make an informed decision about whether to apply again.

Further, was it formally announced that the class size was cut and could that be contributing to the lack of movement?
I head that last years class was cut to 140. Do you know if this year is similar? Either way, it sounds like time to work on my 2021-2022 application.

I head that last years class was cut to 140. Do you know if this year is similar? Either way, it sounds like time to work on my 2021-2022 application.
there has not been anything put out by admin regarding a decreased class size this year... I would anticipate them aiming for 160 per usual but I don't know this for sure

Has anyone with a low alternate rank heard back? It seems like there's been 0 movement for the alternate list... I'm hoping they're choosing to start moving it later (rather than lack of spots) but after looking back at last year's thread they were well over #25 by today... My anxiety is creeping back up.

Has anyone with a low alternate rank heard back? It seems like there's been 0 movement for the alternate list... I'm hoping they're choosing to start moving it later (rather than lack of spots) but after looking back at last year's thread they were well over #25 by today... My anxiety is creeping back up.
Your anxiety went down? :p Mine has been as consistent as my browser refreshes.

Same, they had already reached my number this time last year and I've heard nothing. I wonder when they plan on starting this year, even the Excel sheet someone posted earlier showed movement by May 11th the past couple years. This almost feels worse than waiting for April 30's decision.

If it’s any comfort, I have a pretty low alternate list number and haven’t heard anything. I’m pretty sure they haven’t started it and the timeline for this year’s WL movement is slower than previous years.

The email they sent a couple weeks ago said that the status of where they are on the WL would be posted on the portal by late-may(in previous years that number was posted on the portal within the first week of may), so it sounds like everything is much more delayed this year, in addition to people’s portals showing code/malfunctioning

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone else's portal make them re-select their decision to remain on the alternate list? Mine appears to have reset, but then I can't even confirm my selection!

I'm #4 and haven't heard anything :(

• Hmm
Did anyone else's portal make them re-select their decision to remain on the alternate list? Mine appears to have reset, but then I can't even confirm my selection!
It's making me do the same thing brother and doesn't change when I click submit. I guess I'll head back to Azkaban to wait and try again tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users
Same here and I just received an emailed stating this:

"This is your last reminder to please login to the Application Portal to confirm your status on the alternate list.

If we do not receive a response from you by Monday, 5/17/2021, we will assume that you do not wish to remain on the alternate list and must withdraw your application from further consideration."

I selected remain on the waitlist within minutes of my placement on the list. I have attempted to select remain on the list today when I was reset with no success. Odd... Time to send a confused email.

Last edited:

"This is your last reminder to please login to the Application Portal to confirm your status on the alternate list.

If we do not receive a response from you by Monday, 5/17/2021, we will assume that you do not wish to remain on the alternate list and must withdraw your application from further consideration."

I selected remain on the waitlist within minutes of my placement on the list. I have attempted to select remain on the list today when I was reset with no success. Odd... Time to send a confused email.
I sent an email too.

A dumber question, is it too late to send OHSU our FAFSA? I wasn’t sure whether to do it since I’m on the alternate list but now I’m seeing their deadline was in January (even before my interview 😭). Does this completely wreck my chances of any aid or loans, I’m not the surest of how payment works

A dumber question, is it too late to send OHSU our FAFSA? I wasn’t sure whether to do it since I’m on the alternate list but now I’m seeing their deadline was in January (even before my interview 😭). Does this completely wreck my chances of any aid or loans, I’m not the surest of how payment works
I don't know, but it does say "priority deadline", not just "deadline."

Does OSHU have early decision? I didn’t think so, but saw a post and am confused.

My portal selection is fixed and I am back on the wait list. Now I am just waiting for half of the incoming class to decide that they want to become musicians, internet influencers, or investment bankers.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Is anyone else's portal still not processing the alternate list selection? I received the email from admissions saying that if I don't make a selection by Monday I will be removed from the alternate list, so I emailed and called them to explain whats happening and to ask for help, but have not received any response yet (and the portal is still not working for me). Is there anything else I should try doing?
My portal is working now. I am pretty sure there was some sort of bug. Also, I do not know a way to reach them other than calling and email.

I don't know, but it does say "priority deadline", not just "deadline."
If you read the "Student Financial Aid Deadline" document from the website, it explains that those priority deadlines are ONLY for undergraduate level students. Then it states that there is NO priority deadline for graduate level students. So yes, please turn in your FAFSA ASAP and make sure not to include any parent financial information, as OHSU is a rare school that does not require it. The only deadline for financial aid is the standard federal FAFSA deadline of June 30th.

Attachments

• Student_Aid_Explained_2122.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users
OHSU Admissions when we are refreshing our portal every hour waiting for the WL to move.
7B4F6B38-C4CF-4AA3-B548-F405D21D47A7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
i just submitted mine like a week ago and i got my package like within 3 days! i got offered about 40% COA of federal loans

I definitely convinced myself that today would be the day since people had until yesterday to confirm they wanted to be on the waitlist 😪

• Sad
I definitely convinced myself that today would be the day since people had until yesterday to confirm they wanted to be on the waitlist 😪
I envy your optimism. The portal is working, that is a good sign... right? :p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Looks like WL movement is starting. They have accepted through #1 so far.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users