2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They're at 24 as of right now...a little nervous about how slowly it seems to be moving..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they not update the portal today? They were at 24 last night before PurpleDevil94 and pinacol withdrew their acceptances

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Did they not update the portal today? They were at 24 last night before PurpleDevil94 and pinacol withdrew their acceptances

Sometimes there are delays in portal updates. I was accepted off the wait list (few years ago) on a Friday and the portal wasn't updated until the following Monday or Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, maybe they haven't released it to you yet. They will release it well before school starts so you can clearly see it. You will know it when you see it. Be patient until then. I know you are excited to get going, I was too, but staying busy is the quickest way to pass the time until then.

Random question, if my class set up sweatshirts or some kind of swag for you all to purchase with ohsu med 2020 on it, would you be interested? We thought you all might appreciate something to show it off a little. We were thinking of getting it prepped for the first few weeks of school. Just an idea, no promises but let me know!

Would be suuuuuuuuper down for a class of 2020 crew neck/really any other swagged out thingz you guyz could come up with. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY

Reactions: 5 users
Would be suuuuuuuuper down for a class of 2020 crew neck/really any other swagged out thingz you guyz could come up with. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY

Oh bro, you know I'm always down for a crew neck...

In other news - portal to 26 today!

Reactions: 2 users

You don't know it yet, but we are going to be the best of friends.

Reactions: 2 users
It's a normal Thanksgiving break. Thursday and Friday. The weekend may vary depending on what rotation you are on but for 1st and 2nd years you are in pre-clinical training so you will have the whole time off.

Since people are asking about every break you also have a week off in September 19th-23rd 2016 for fall break. Winter break is December 19th - January 6th. Spring break is in March 27th-31st 2017.

I had another break question... during fall break and spring break, are they "true" breaks, as in do you still have study/school obligations or are you free to relax/roam?
Thanks!

Total break. They are legally bound to give us a certain time off.

Total break. They are legally bound to give us a certain time off.

^This. Plus enrichment weeks are very light and you can front load experiences to get 3/4 of those weeks "off" as well if you wish. I don't know about my classmates but this far into school even when I'm not in class, my brain is rarely off. Dr. Sattar's voice lulls me to sleep every night and I dream about disruptions to homeostasis.

^This. Plus enrichment weeks are very light and you can front load experiences to get 3/4 of those weeks "off" as well if you wish. I don't know about my classmates but this far into school even when I'm not in class, my brain is rarely off. Dr. Sattar's voice lulls me to sleep every night and I dream about disruptions to homeostasis.
Yep this. I am currently on a mini vacation and compulsively brought my first aid book... don't worry, it is a totally normal amount of obsession.

Portal up to 28

Members don't see this ad :)
Still at 28. Looks like most people decided to stay on the alternate list.

I'm starting to get worried. I'm #47. Would it be too early to call and ask about how many pending acceptances there are and how many spots in front of me are filled?

Still at 28. Looks like most people decided to stay on the alternate list.

I'm starting to get worried. I'm #47. Would it be too early to call and ask about how many pending acceptances there are and how many spots in front of me are filled?

Yes it is too early to call and ask. Do not call unless you are 10 or less spots away.

Anyone know how many outstanding acceptances are out? I would call and ask myself but I think the admissions office is sick of me!!

Portal up to 30

Has anyone scheduled an exit interview?

Last edited:
Anyone know how many outstanding acceptances are out? I would call and ask myself but I think the admissions office is sick of me!!

At this stage there are enough acceptances out to fill the class whatever that number is for this year. All those people should have already paid the deposit. However, any of them are eligible to drop their acceptance at any time if they are accepted at another program. The only people that MIGHT not have paid yet are those who were accepted within the last week or two which hasn't been very many.

I know this is extremely stressful, I remember being in the waiting game position. However at this point all you can do is keep an eye on the portal and know how close you are to getting off the list. At least with OHSU you know exactly where you stand waiting whereas most schools its waitlist limbo.

If you think you may have to reapply get that application in as early as possible. People underestimate the value of submitting early.

At this stage there are enough acceptances out to fill the class whatever that number is for this year. All those people should have already paid the deposit. However, any of them are eligible to drop their acceptance at any time if they are accepted at another program. The only people that MIGHT not have paid yet are those who were accepted within the last week or two which hasn't been very many.

I know this is extremely stressful, I remember being in the waiting game position. However at this point all you can do is keep an eye on the portal and know how close you are to getting off the list. At least with OHSU you know exactly where you stand waiting whereas most schools its waitlist limbo.

If you think you may have to reapply get that application in as early as possible. People underestimate the value of submitting early.
Correct me if I'm wrong... My acceptance packet said that there was no deposit needed to hold your spot in the class, but if you are accepting the acceptance you have to turn in the acceptance contract within two weeks of receiving it...?

Correct me if I'm wrong... My acceptance packet said that there was no deposit needed to hold your spot in the class, but if you are accepting the acceptance you have to turn in the acceptance contract within two weeks of receiving it...?

Yes, that is correct. :thumbup:

Mine is this afternoon! Has anyone else done theirs yet? You can call the admissions office to schedule it

I haven't yet because in the last 10 years they have gotten to my number 8/10 times.. How far in advance did you have to request it? Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
I haven't yet because in the last 10 years they have gotten to my number 8/10 times.. How far in advance did you have to request it?

I called on May 23, the first day they were available to be scheduled.

In case anyone is interested: the exit interview was very informative. 30 minutes and plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

What do you mean by "they have gotten to my number 8/10 times"?

I called on May 23, the first day they were available to be scheduled.

In case anyone is interested: the exit interview was very informative. 30 minutes and plenty of opportunity to ask questions.

What do you mean by "they have gotten to my number 8/10 times"?

I'm on the alternate list. According to the excel sheet someone uploaded last year there were only 2 years since 2006 that they haven't reached my alternate number. So I'm hoping that I won't have to reapply but they're moving pretty slow this year

I'm on the alternate list. According to the excel sheet someone uploaded last year there were only 2 years since 2006 that they haven't reached my alternate number. So I'm hoping that I won't have to reapply but they're moving pretty slow this year
Ah :) good luck!!

Thank you! By outstanding acceptances, I just meant how many people had been given acceptances but hadn't responded yet, which I'm now realizing was dumb question because the class is full.

This is a question for current students, do most people take notes on paper? Would it be worth it to buy an iPad to take notes on? I can't decide if I should spend on an iPad when I already have a mac and have always taken notes on paper. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Reactions: 1 users
I would stick with what has worked for you in the past rather than spending money just yet. Don't worry, you will have time to stop at the store if you need to. I use paper, always did and probably always will. You may, or you may change your mind. Don't invest money until you know.

This is a question for current students, do most people take notes on paper? Would it be worth it to buy an iPad to take notes on? I can't decide if I should spend on an iPad when I already have a mac and have always taken notes on paper. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

There is a ton of variety in note taking methods. I don't take any notes during lectures, just absorb first pass and then sit down with slides and recordings later to make detailed outlines. Many of my class mates use paper and a lot use computers. My advice mirrors that of my classmate. Stick with what has worked for you in undergrad and make minor adjustments as necessary. There is no reason to radically change things preemptively. There was a big panic at the beginning for our class as we adjusted to the torrent of material being thrown our way and many tried to drastically change things up only to dig themselves pretty big holes (everyone got out ok). Have confidence in the methods that got you here, just be prepared to make your current study style more efficient to accommodate the new course load.

Good luck, our class will be there to help you get your feet wet.

I would stick with what has worked for you in the past rather than spending money just yet. Don't worry, you will have time to stop at the store if you need to. I use paper, always did and probably always will. You may, or you may change your mind. Don't invest money until you know.
Thank you!

There is a ton of variety in note taking methods. I don't take any notes during lectures, just absorb first pass and then sit down with slides and recordings later to make detailed outlines. Many of my class mates use paper and a lot use computers. My advice mirrors that of my classmate. Stick with what has worked for you in undergrad and make minor adjustments as necessary. There is no reason to radically change things preemptively. There was a big panic at the beginning for our class as we adjusted to the torrent of material being thrown our way and many tried to drastically change things up only to dig themselves pretty big holes (everyone got out ok). Have confidence in the methods that got you here, just be prepared to make your current study style more efficient to accommodate the new course load.

Good luck, our class will be there to help you get your feet wet.

Thank you so much! This all makes a lot of sense :)

Anybody have any idea if/when the school will be sending out more details as far as the first few weeks of school goes? Curious about supply lists and such, I'm trying to cobble together a budget...

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have any idea if/when the school will be sending out more details as far as the first few weeks of school goes? Curious about supply lists and such, I'm trying to cobble together a budget...

DO NOT BUY THE TEXTBOOKS!!!!

Take it from a guy who bought them anyway after being advised not to. There will be a USB drive fairy that will give you all the textbooks and then some should you need the reference.

PURCHASE

Stethoscope
FIRST AID 2016
Pathoma
Firecracker

Do a trial of SketchyMicro to see if it fits your style.

See you guys soon!

DO NOT BUY THE TEXTBOOKS!!!!

Take it from a guy who bought them anyway after being advised not to. There will be a USB drive fairy that will give you all the textbooks and then some should you need the reference.

PURCHASE

Stethoscope
FIRST AID 2016
Pathoma
Firecracker

Do a trial of SketchyMicro to see if it fits your style.

See you guys soon!
I 1000% agree with this post. Look up pathoma (online resource) if you haven't already because it has taught me at least 1/3 of what I know.
First Aid (for ever more referred to as FA) is your new medical "bible" so you will want that. And I highly recommend Sketchymicro. I wouldn't ever learn the differences between bacteria without it.
Firecracker is one of several board prep and practice question programs. It is great and really useful for me now but might not be necessary for you until you are done with fundamentals (or even further since I just bought it and have been surviving fine).

For real though, don't buy the textbooks!!
Edited because I can't write correctly anymore evidently.

Last edited:
Portal up to 34

Portal up to 35 today

portal not really moving. guess that algorithm about accepting applicants mot likely to attend really worked this year.

Last edited:
I have a question for current students. What is your opinion of the student health insurance? Does it include vision or is it just medical and dental? Any info you have would be great. Thank you.

I have a question for current students. What is your opinion of the student health insurance? Does it include vision or is it just medical and dental? Any info you have would be great. Thank you.
Don't know what it includes, the exact info can probably be requested from Shelley Engle, but you are required to have something.

Don't know what it includes, the exact info can probably be requested from Shelley Engle, but you are required to have something.

Its pretty spendy >$350/ mo. Depending on your personal situation/health status it may be optimal to choose alternative coverage. Many moving parts to this one though.

portal not really moving. guess that algorithm about accepting applicants mot likely to attend really worked this year. will be moving far away...
What do you mean by algorithm? Or rather could you expand upon this statement?

Previous posts on SDN (perhaps Goro?) mention admissions metrics that predict which students are more likely to attend. No specifics that I recall, but presumably data might be used to determine whom to interview and/or accept among many stats.

Any recent accepted alternates care to share the amount of time to decide to accept OHSU's offer? Is it still 2 weeks?

Not to mean this in a criticizing way, but why does OHSU shoot for a class that's so much older than other schools. Their average age is like 26,27?