2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like WL movement is starting. They have accepted through #1 so far.
I am just going to hope that they simply turned on the counting system and the default number is 1 :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I am just going to hope that they simply turned on the counting system and the default number is 1 :nailbiting:

No movement over the past day beyond WL #1?? I mean this has to be just the system turning on and saying it's at WL#1 without actually moving through the list yet(praying this is the case) since previous years moved through the top 15 in practically the first day

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is planning on re-applying next year, please feel free to reach out if you need someone to read/re-work your personal statement with you, give advice on gap year ideas, or just chat with. More than happy to help.

For those of you on the waitlist, I wish you luck and hope there is quick movement 💙

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted off WL, I was within #1-5 on WL.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s huge! Congrats! Did your portal update because mine still says it’s through 1...
Thank you!! And my portal did update. They added a new section which says “Decision: accepted”. The older section that says accepted through alternate number 1 is still there for me as well. I’m also not #1 on the list if that’s helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted off WL, I was within #1-5 on WL.
Congrats!! Can't imagine how happy you are with the acceptance after this anxiety-riddled month of waiting! Did you also receive an email or phone call or only the portal update?

Congrats!! Can't imagine how happy you are with the acceptance after this anxiety-riddled month of waiting! Did you also receive an email or phone call or only the portal update?
Thank you!! I got an email shortly after my portal updated.

Tryna figure out if I should be worried that they only got through four on the first day and not the usual 20-30ish 😭

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Tryna figure out if I should be worried that they only got through four on the first day and not the usual 20-30ish 😭
I feel you there. My optimism is slowly transforming into pessimism as the days pass. However, reality shows little care for my emotional sentiment, so I guess all I can do now is wait. Good luck, I hope we see each other in August.

• Care
If anyone is interested in scribing while reapplying over the next year, the OHSU scribe program is current hiring for part-time and full-time positions: Smartsheet Forms

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know OHSU’s CTE deadline?
I found July 19, 2021 on Admissions | OHSU

"We will require applicants to select “Commit to Enroll” through AMCAS 21 days prior to our first day of orientation. For the 2020 incoming class, the first day of orientation is August 9, 2021, and the deadline for making the “Commit to Enroll” selection is July 19, 2021. For applicants who select to enroll elsewhere, please note that we will need to receive your notice of withdrawal directly. Selecting “Commit to Enroll” for another institution does not automatically withdraw your application from OHSU. For more details regarding the AMCAS Tools for Choosing Your Medical School, as well as deadlines for holding multiple acceptances, please go to AMCAS website."

Reactions: 1 user
I found July 19, 2021 on Admissions | OHSU

"We will require applicants to select “Commit to Enroll” through AMCAS 21 days prior to our first day of orientation. For the 2020 incoming class, the first day of orientation is August 9, 2021, and the deadline for making the “Commit to Enroll” selection is July 19, 2021. For applicants who select to enroll elsewhere, please note that we will need to receive your notice of withdrawal directly. Selecting “Commit to Enroll” for another institution does not automatically withdraw your application from OHSU. For more details regarding the AMCAS Tools for Choosing Your Medical School, as well as deadlines for holding multiple acceptances, please go to AMCAS website."
Thank you!!

Does anyone know if OHSU is giving interview feedback yet? I could really use the help. Also, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and doing well.

Does anyone know if OHSU is giving interview feedback yet? I could really use the help. Also, I hope everyone is enjoying their summer and doing well.
Yes, email them to get in queue!

Do you know if we email admissions or Kari? I'm also hoping that they give feedback for us on the waitlist (side note, still at number 4 after eleven days?? 🥴)
I would probably email admissions and CC Kari just in case. OHSU is pretty good imo about tracking that stuff. I was on the WL last year and was able to get solid feedback.

at #5 now! :D
dang.. the fact that it’s only at #5 after 11 days is nerve wrecking when in the past it would’ve been well over 30s...

I’m not too familiar with the CTE stuff. I know from an earlier post that OHSU deadline is mid July, does that mean that there’s a possibility that more spots will pop up around that time? (when people are forced to make a final decision)

could anyone share the amount of feedback they got? they told me that my self eval was accurate and that was basically it.... feels kinda weird to not get anything in-depth feedback beyond that

Last edited:
could anyone share the amount of feedback they got? i pretty much got told that my self eval was accurate and that was all.... feels kinda weird to not get anything in-depth feedback beyond that
Last year during my interview feedback the person told me that “they expect candidates to identify their own weaknesses and work to improve them on their own” which seems on par with the rest of the admissions process at OHSU. I was also told that my “interviewing skills” could be improved but not much specifications as to whether it was MMI or 1-on-1. Overall the feedback seems pretty useless, but apparently it can look good that you at least sought out feedback if you are planning to apply again.

• Hmm
The update email last week noted that things are moving significantly slower than previous years with the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
The update email last week noted that things are moving significantly slower than previous years with the waitlist.
Did they clarify whether it was because of administration or because of the lack of spots?

Thank you for always providing us with insider updates. :)

Did they clarify whether it was because of administration or because of the lack of spots?

Thank you for always providing us with insider updates. :)
I don't have any definitive information, but I read something in the automatic reply email from the admissions staff (see below).

"Transfer Students

· Given the limited amount of clinical placements for our current students, in addition to our lowered class size, we are unable to accept transfer students in any year for the foreseeable future. However, anyone is welcome to apply to our MD program and go through the process just like any other applicant."

I added the emphasis on the lowered class size portion. Thus, I believe this offers support to the claims of a reduced class size this year and possibly into the future. However, it is entirely possible that they found additional funding and have made changes since the introduction of that language.

Please remember that I am in no way affiliated with or in contact with anyone at OHSU. I am just a person that read an email.

• Sad
  • Care
I don't have any definitive information, but I read something in the automatic reply email from the admissions staff (see below).

"Transfer Students

· Given the limited amount of clinical placements for our current students, in addition to our lowered class size, we are unable to accept transfer students in any year for the foreseeable future. However, anyone is welcome to apply to our MD program and go through the process just like any other applicant."

I added the emphasis on the lowered class size portion. Thus, I believe this offers support to the claims of a reduced class size this year and possibly into the future. However, it is entirely possible that they found additional funding and have made changes since the introduction of that language.

Please remember that I am in no way affiliated with or in contact with anyone at OHSU. I am just a person that read an email.
I was so excited when I found out I was in the 10-15 range, but if it's going so slowly because of a smaller class size, I'm doubting they'll get that far at all oof 😭

• Care
I was so excited when I found out I was in the 10-15 range, but if it's going so slowly because of a smaller class size, I'm doubting they'll get that far at all oof 😭
When I spoke to the admissions person giving feedback last year, I had asked about a smaller class size as I had saw a document from the school of medicine (not just MD program) that they were anticipating smaller class sizes. At that time she said they didn't plan to significantly reduce the class size for next year (2021), but maybe by a couple less seats. Lets hope this is still the case and the waitlist continues to move!

• Care
You're so close though I have high hopes for you!

• Care
  • In contrast to the whirlwind, fast-moving and record-breaking UME Admissions cycle, our Admissions team reports our alternate list is moving verrrrryy slowly – we currently have only admitted through #6 on the list

[P.S. - yes, the "whirlwind" part feels ironic after following this thread and having undergone the process myself]

• Sad
It wouldn’t do anything at this point but is there anyone that hasn’t heard a word from this school since submitting their app?

I'm currently in the nosebleeds of the waitlist and emailed to get a feedback appointment and got the automatic "we received your request for feedback and we'll be in touch about next steps" and I was wondering if anyone heard anything other than that? I just don't want to be booboo the fool and email them.

I'm currently in the nosebleeds of the waitlist and emailed to get a feedback appointment and got the automatic "we received your request for feedback and we'll be in touch about next steps" and I was wondering if anyone heard anything other than that? I just don't want to be booboo the fool and email them.
I know some people have already had their feedback appointments, I believe if you just emailed them there is a queue.

"Transfer Students

I believe they moved from 160 to 150 students for class of 2024, but I haven't heard if they lowered it further....

I believe they moved from 160 to 150 students for class of 2024, but I haven't heard if they lowered it further....
They did. It was known internally for at least a year and confirmed by a few people that I know in SOM (faculty and grad students).

• Sad
Why are they decreasing class sizes? Do they not have the funding? Oregon is a state that needs as many doctors as they can get.

Reactions: 4 users
Why are they decreasing class sizes? Do they not have the funding? Oregon is a state that needs as many doctors as they can get.
I believe it was a mixture of lack of rotation spots and funding. Also, more OOS students may have been selected, but I’m not sure.

I believe it was a mixture of lack of rotation spots and funding. Also, more OOS students may have been selected, but I’m not sure.
COVID also has altered the financial structure for funds available to certain students in certain programs so there may be less MD/PhD or MPH

Worrisome that the only MD school in OR is reducing class sizes. They should be expanding, opening satellite campuses, etc. to train more doctors to stay in the region. OHSU also has a very high tuition as well, interesting that even with astronomical tuition this is occurring.

There was a board of directors meeting in 2020 sometime that estimated that each student costs an average of $115,000 per year. Tuition and state money accounted for maybe 55% of the costs, and the hospital covers the rest. I don't have access to my documents at the moment, but I got these crazy ideas by digging through the board of directors minutes. Basically, the school of medicine is a non-profit that loses money to be able to train new physicians. Thus, when the hospital is stressed financially student positions may need to be reduced. If anyone is really that curious, I can try to look this back up when I return from vacation.

There was a board of directors meeting in 2020 sometime that estimated that each student costs an average of $115,000 per year. Tuition and state money accounted for maybe 55% of the costs, and the hospital covers the rest. I don't have access to my documents at the moment, but I got these crazy ideas by digging through the board of directors minutes. Basically, the school of medicine is a non-profit that loses money to be able to train new physicians. Thus, when the hospital is stressed financially student positions may need to be reduced. If anyone is really that curious, I can try to look this back up when I return from vacation.
I would be interested in looking at that info if you don't mind sharing. No rush though.

I would be interested in looking at that info if you don't mind sharing. No rush though.
This is from page 27 and 28 of the pdf document linked below. It is the minutes and notes from the May 22, 2020 OHSU Board of directors meeting. I added bolding below for emphasis.

"School of Medicine (SOM)
Between 2014 and 2017, the OHSU School of Medicine increased its class size from 140 to 160
per year to help meet the healthcare workforce needs of Oregon. With an 8.5% reduction in
biennial funding, the School would likely have to reduce its M.D. class size. It costs an estimated
$115,000 annually to train each medical student
with expenses being largely associated with
employing highly-trained faculty and instructional staff, and providing appropriate clinical
learning environments at OHSU and around the state. Revenue generated from tuition and
state appropriations presently only covers about 55% of the cost of educating each medical
student, with the difference being funded from the reallocation of revenue generated from
other sources at OHSU.
A state appropriation reduction of 8.5% coupled with other sources of
revenue including clinical revenue at historically low levels due to our response to the COVID-19
public health crisis, maintaining class size will be very challenging. "

• Sad