2015-2016 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

As a lifelong Oregonian, this is my dream school. Stoked to get this ball rolling. Good luck everyone!

Anyone know their opinion on Cali applicants? Worth applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
OHSU is not OOS friendly, from what I can tell. The exception could be if you fall into one of their "mission based groups" (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/sc...admissions/academic-and-selection-factors.cfm).

Unless you fall into one of the mission-based groups, OHSU likely won't consider you at all (at least, this has been the case for the past several application years). Note that high stats (3.7+, 32+) put you into a mission-based group, as do any "strong ties" to Oregon.

Reactions: 1 user
First time Oregon applicant hoping for an interview. Good luck to all future applicants.

I don't technically fit into any of the mission groups, but I've been living and working in Oregon for the past 9 months and will be applying with recommendation letters from OHSU faculty. Do I have a shot at getting some IS consideration?

IS the MD/MPH track 4 or 5 years?

It's a five year track. Assuming things still work the way they did 4-5 years ago, MD/MPH students take a year off after MS3 to finish up their MPH coursework.
Okay, thanks.

Does OHSU serve a significant amount of Russian-speaking patients? From what I understand, Portland has a sizable population of Russians and Ukrainians...

Okay, thanks.

Does OHSU serve a significant amount of Russian-speaking patients? From what I understand, Portland has a sizable population of Russians and Ukrainians...

I've only seen two exclusively Russian-speaking patients during MS3 year. It's only my personal experience, but I've seen significantly more Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, and even Somali.

Here's to round 2 being more fruitful than round 1.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What about WA residents?
+1 should I apply if I'm a WA resident with no oregon ties? 3.9 gpa and 32 mcat ... my friend told me not to apply since i have no ties to oregon.

saw this:

"The 2014-15 entering class – 82 percent of whom are Oregonians or have Oregon heritage – increased in size from last year, adding seven additional students as a part of OHSU’s goal to grow class sizes to meet the health care workforce needs of Oregon and beyond."

+1 should I apply if I'm a WA resident with no oregon ties? 3.9 gpa and 32 mcat ... my friend told me not to apply since i have no ties to oregon.

saw this:

Your GPA and MCAT score put you into a mission-based category, so you have a shot if you apply to OHSU. Yes, the medical student classes are generally made up of instate residents, but that is only partially due to in-state bias during admissions - the other part of the picture is out of state students often choosing other (cheaper) schools due to OHSU's high OOS tuition.

Anyone got an answer for us Washingtonians? Would be insanely appreciate

As stated above - apply if you fit into a mission group. This usually means high stats, attending high school/college in Oregon, having parents in Oregon, or applying to one of the combined degree programs.

Just called OHSU to ask about border counties (I live in Clark) and whether they are considered in state:

NOPE.

I am a WA resident in a border county and will still be considered OOS. No going to bother with the secondary, a shame I didn't ask sooner for the primary. Good luck to the rest of you!

Is it not worth applying here if you don't have genetics or will just make you do it as a prerec/remedial course

I don't technically fit into any of the mission groups, but I've been living and working in Oregon for the past 9 months and will be applying with recommendation letters from OHSU faculty. Do I have a shot at getting some IS consideration?

I'm pretty sure you can apply as a resident of OR. If I remember correctly, they have a box on the secondary that you can check that says something like "I will be an OR resident at the time of matriculation."

Another question -- does OHSU accept updates throughout the process? Haven't been able to find any information on this...

Secondary received..this one is gnarly.

Could you guys post the prompts? Are they the same as last year? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying to MD/MPH programs, which is technically a "mission-based" group, although I don't fall under (or above, rather) the OOS MCAT of 32. Still worth filling out the secondary???

Is anyone else still waiting on the secondary?

If people could post the secondary prompts that would be awesome and much appreciated!

Still waiting. IS. Do they screen for secondaries? What's with some people getting them earlier than others?

Still waiting. IS. Do they screen for secondaries? What's with some people getting them earlier than others?

It's a manual process, so there's an actual person behind it all :)

Does anyone know how much the secondary fee is?

Anyone from California receive a secondary yet?

I know my chances are slim, idc...

Just got the secondary. I'm OOS and not quite in a mission group so I'm actually kinda surprised I got this. Maybe they really need more secondary fees?

Just got the secondary. I'm OOS and not quite in a mission group so I'm actually kinda surprised I got this. Maybe they really need more secondary fees?

According to MSAR everyone gets a secondary.

I'm still waiting on my secondary, but I noticed a couple of people are asking for the prompts... I would really appreciate it if you could post or pm them to me thanks!!! Second time around just want to be ready to jump on it right away!

According to MSAR everyone gets a secondary.

Well lets hope so :). I still haven't received one. I'm OOS, so I'm probably a long shot. I technically meet their mission group based on my MCAT/gpa stats, but it seems like this school is a cult for Oregonians!

Well lets hope so :). I still haven't received one. I'm OOS, so I'm probably a long shot. I technically meet their mission group based on my MCAT/gpa stats, but it seems like this school is a cult for Oregonians!
I'm IS and haven't received one ... my AMCAS was verified on 6/11. I'm definitely starting to freak out.

Could you please post the prompts?
It looks like the prompts are the same as last year if you look at last year's thread on the first page. Hope this helps. Submitted mine a couple days ago FYI.