2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So how long is everyone making these essays? I'm at a loss for what length is reasonable. I was thinking maybe 500 words?

Members don't see this ad.

So how long is everyone making these essays? I'm at a loss for what length is reasonable. I was thinking maybe 500 words?
Mine varied quite a bit. I'll update with the specifics once I'm back to my pc but at least a couple aren't anywhere near 500 words yet.

Mine varied quite a bit. I'll update with the specifics once I'm back to my pc but at least a couple aren't anywhere near 500 words yet.

Maybe 250?

I can't believe there is no word limit. I don't understand why they would do that. It's like self-inflicted torture for them -- you KNOW there are gonna be people who submit essays that are pages and pages long

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe 250?

I can't believe there is no word limit. I don't understand why they would do that. It's like self-inflicted torture for them -- you KNOW there are gonna be people who submit essays that are pages and pages long
my completed ones range from 250-600. But the dealing with challenges from ppl different than myself prompt is posing some difficulties for me. I'm not sure if i'm gonna do the optional one - there's really not much i can add to my candidacy by doing either.

Maybe 250?

And now they can weed out all the future ultra-gunners! Tbh, I really wish more schools would get rid of the word/character limits.

And now they can weed out all the future ultra-gunners! Tbh, I really wish more schools would get rid of the word/character limits.
Realistically I'm pretty sure most MDs reading your app would just stop reading an essay after about half a page (for a secondary). That or skim. I'm definitely going to make mine as short as possible while still answering the question.

Realistically I'm pretty sure most MDs reading your app would just stop reading an essay after about half a page (for a secondary). That or skim. I'm definitely going to make mine as short as possible while still answering the question.

So am I. To clarify, I don't want schools to get rid of the word limits so I can write more, just so that people who want to write pages and pages would get weeded out. My completed secondaries for Duke are <500 words.

These are by far my favorite essays. I feel like these questions are actually thoughtful and interesting to write about, unlike "tell us something we already asked for on the primary"

Reactions: 2 users
Wow so was just about to add Duke to my primary but seriously reconsidering that course of action in light of these secondaries...like I get it if you want to go to the school do it anyway but man oh man those are quite monstrous.

Reactions: 3 users
Does everyone else have this "Application Notice" at the top of their supplemental form?:

"We encourage you to consider completing the DukeMed Supplemental Applicationeven though your GPA or MCAT score may be below is below what is typical for DukeMed. Over the years, the typical profile of our successful applicants includes evidence of academic achievement including but not limited to significant level of difficulty of curricular coursework choices, successful demonstration of its application in the usual grading scheme, e.g. “ gpa” and on the MCAT examinations, where both the previous MCAT version and the new MCAT 2015 are acceptable for this application cycle.

Our academic screeners will carefully examine the difficulty of coursework, the quality, length and productivity in exposure to research endeavors and other advanced academic opportunities. Should your gpa and MCAT scores fall below those traditionally seen in our successful candidates, we will carefully look for other evidence in your application that offers compelling grounds for consideration, such as an exceptional and longitudinal track record of clinical and research exposure, community service, leadership practice, or other significant activities and experiences outside of the classroom.

The typical academic profile for a successful applicant is GPA range from 2.8 to 4.0 and typical MCAT range, using the OLD MCATS is 26 to 45. For those taking the new MCATs we will follow AMCAS’ early expectations about performance on MCAT 2015 as a guide. Please know that with very little experience with this test, we will rely heavily on the longitudinal track record established through traditional academic exposures, and will consider whether there are other compelling grounds for admission, such as an exceptional and longitudinal track record of clinical and research exposure, community service, leadership practice, other significant activities and experiences outside of the classroom, and how the applicant’s background and experiences might contribute to the diversity of our program."

Reactions: 2 users
Wow so was just about to add Duke to my primary but seriously reconsidering that course of action in light of these secondaries...like I get it if you want to go to the school do it anyway but man oh man those are quite monstrous.

Tbh, it's basically what we're writing for other schools. Except it's all those different prompts assembled together into one :)

Does everyone else have this "Application Notice" at the top of their supplemental form?:

"We encourage you to consider completing the DukeMed Supplemental Applicationeven though your GPA or MCAT score may be below is below what is typical for DukeMed. Over the years, the typical profile of our successful applicants includes evidence of academic achievement including but not limited to significant level of difficulty of curricular coursework choices, successful demonstration of its application in the usual grading scheme, e.g. “ gpa” and on the MCAT examinations, where both the previous MCAT version and the new MCAT 2015 are acceptable for this application cycle.

Our academic screeners will carefully examine the difficulty of coursework, the quality, length and productivity in exposure to research endeavors and other advanced academic opportunities. Should your gpa and MCAT scores fall below those traditionally seen in our successful candidates, we will carefully look for other evidence in your application that offers compelling grounds for consideration, such as an exceptional and longitudinal track record of clinical and research exposure, community service, leadership practice, or other significant activities and experiences outside of the classroom.

The typical academic profile for a successful applicant is GPA range from 2.8 to 4.0 and typical MCAT range, using the OLD MCATS is 26 to 45. For those taking the new MCATs we will follow AMCAS’ early expectations about performance on MCAT 2015 as a guide. Please know that with very little experience with this test, we will rely heavily on the longitudinal track record established through traditional academic exposures, and will consider whether there are other compelling grounds for admission, such as an exceptional and longitudinal track record of clinical and research exposure, community service, leadership practice, other significant activities and experiences outside of the classroom, and how the applicant’s background and experiences might contribute to the diversity of our program."

Yup, I think it's just a standard notice. Don't worry too much about it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

You can do it, Panda! We believe in you. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted! Good luck to all :)

Hi! Newly minted MS2 here, if you guys have any questions about Duke Med I'll be happy to answer them!

Hi! Newly minted MS2 here, if you guys have any questions about Duke Med I'll be happy to answer them!
Hey thanks for the offer! I'll bite – I know there are multiple tracks for the MS3 research year, but is the administration open to people doing that research on a medically related topic in a non-science field? I'm thinking along the lines of working with someone at the law school, Sanford School, Fuqua, etc. It's a lot harder to track progress in non-science work, so will this be a problem if I'm basically unwilling to do any sort of wet lab work? ha

Hey thanks for the offer! I'll bite – I know there are multiple tracks for the MS3 research year, but is the administration open to people doing that research on a medically related topic in a non-science field? I'm thinking along the lines of working with someone at the law school, Sanford School, Fuqua, etc. It's a lot harder to track progress in non-science work, so will this be a problem if I'm basically unwilling to do any sort of wet lab work? ha

As long as you work something out with a mentor in whichever field/other graduate program you may be interested in and have a some sort of tangible product (generally speaking a manuscript/thesis) at the end of the day, then the school will be more than happy to approve that. That's the beauty of 3rd year, it's absolutely what you make of it! I have friends who are doing basic science research, doing more clinical projects, pursuing dual degrees (MPHs/MBAs/Master's in whatever), or even working with the pub pol school. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 users
As long as you work something out with a mentor in whichever field/other graduate program you may be interested in and have a some sort of tangible product (generally speaking a manuscript/thesis) at the end of the day, then the school will be more than happy to approve that. That's the beauty of 3rd year, it's absolutely what you make of it! I have friends who are doing basic science research, doing more clinical projects, pursuing dual degrees (MPHs/MBAs/Master's in whatever), or even working with the pub pol school. Hope that helps!
Thanks! that's very helpful. I'm a little confused on the dual degrees part. If I want to do, say, an MD/MBA, could I use the entire 3rd year as MBA study and then finish both degrees in 4 years? Since a regular MD/MBA track would be 5 years and I can start the MBA curriculum a year earlier during the "third year," I save a year right?

my understanding is that if you use your third year to pursue a different degree, that essentially delays you a year and youd get your MD/MBA in 5 years

i.e. in your 3rd year of med school you work on MBA, fourth year you do what you wouldve done third year, and fifth year what you wouldve done 4th year --> then graduate
Oh, so it's the same as doing it anywhere else then. Bummer. Thought I could save a year and tack on the "3rd year research" during my curriculum studies concurrently :p

Oh, so it's the same as doing it anywhere else then. Bummer. Thought I could save a year and tack on the "3rd year research" during my curriculum studies concurrently :p
I could be interpreting this incorrectly, but I think it depends on the program you wish to pursue. I am interested in doing an MPH and I think there is an option for a one-year program for that. According to the Third Year website, an MBA would take two years:

https://medschool.duke.edu/educatio...-admissions/third-year-program/study-programs

Thanks! that's very helpful. I'm a little confused on the dual degrees part. If I want to do, say, an MD/MBA, could I use the entire 3rd year as MBA study and then finish both degrees in 4 years? Since a regular MD/MBA track would be 5 years and I can start the MBA curriculum a year earlier during the "third year," I save a year right?

G.Na, you are correct! so at any other med school, an MD/MBA might take 6 years (4 for the MD and 2 for the MBA) but at Duke, it'd only be 5 years (3 years MD stuff, 2 years for the MBA, where one of those years is what would be normally your 3rd year). So your schedule would look something like this: MS1-2, MBA years 1 and 2, MS4. Does that make sense?

Edit: this is assuming you're doing an MBA program that takes 2 years. I know there are some accelerated ones that would only take a year. So in that case, yes you'd be done with both degrees in 4 years.

G.Na, you are correct! so at any other med school, an MD/MBA might take 6 years (4 for the MD and 2 for the MBA) but at Duke, it'd only be 5 years (3 years MD stuff, 2 years for the MBA, where one of those years is what would be normally your 3rd year). So your schedule would look something like this: MS1-2, MBA years 1 and 2, MS4. Does that make sense?

At most schools, and MD/MBA is only 5 years. I believe @G.NA was asking if it would be possible to do it in 4 years given Duke's flexible 3rd year.

At most schools, and MD/MBA is only 5 years. I believe @G.NA was asking if it would be possible to do it in 4 years given Duke's flexible 3rd year.

Yeah sorry about that, I edited my response! The answer is yes, you can do the MD/MBA in 4 years if the MBA program you are interested in (whether it's at Fuqua or any other business school in the country) is only a year long.

Yeah sorry about that, I edited my response! The answer is yes, you can do the MD/MBA in 4 years if the MBA program you are interested in (whether it's at Fuqua or any other business school in the country) is only a year long.

If you went elsewhere though, would you still pay Duke tuition for that third year?

Yeah that's what I meant. No master's worth its salt (or rather, worth my salt) would only take 1 year, so I would want a 2-year program to be combined with the MD for 5 years. Too bad that I still have to jump through the entire 3rd year hoop at Duke though :p

Yeah that's what I meant. No master's worth its salt (or rather, worth my salt) would only take 1 year, so I would want a 2-year program to be combined with the MD for 5 years. Too bad that I still have to jump through the entire 3rd year hoop at Duke though :p

I'm not too sure you would, although this question is probably better directed to someone at the school.

I'm not too sure you would, although this question is probably better directed to someone at the school.
it looks like from the Duke site that only the MD/MPH is offered in 4 years, so I guess I'll wait to see if I get an II so I can probe a bit deeper hehe

I don't think you need to do something extremely formal. When Black Lives Matter spread throughout the nation, where did you stand? Did you discuss the controversy with friends? Were you talking about wanting more police accountability? More discussion about racism? Were you advocating for the police officers? All of that counts.

So if I graduated this past May with strong liberal arts requirements in addition to my biology major am I okay or wasting my time applying. I took the MCAT in 2013 so did not need as many pre-reqs for the MCAT 2015.
Here is what I'm looking at
Biochem: No issue
CellBio: No issue
Stats: No issue
Physics: No issue
Sociology: Took Classes considered Social and Behavioral Sciences at my school
Pysch: Took a Neurobiology of Behavior Course
Expository Writing: No issue

I don't think you need to do something extremely formal. When Black Lives Matter spread throughout the nation, where did you stand? Did you discuss the controversy with friends? Were you talking about wanting more police accountability? More discussion about racism? Were you advocating for the police officers? All of that counts.
i agree it doesn't have to be formal (i.e., like my current job) but I don't think chatting about riots with a friend really counts. sounds pretty contrived.

This essay, "what challenges will you have working with people of a different sex, sexual orientation, race, etc.," Is troubling me. I don't think I will have any problems working with or treating people that are different from me. It would be messed up if you did... I don't know what to say about it. Language barrier? Cultural differences? What do you guys think?

i agree it doesn't have to be formal (i.e., like my current job) but I don't think chatting about riots with a friend really counts. sounds pretty contrived.
I think it can really depend on how much time you spent "chatting with friends." I was an RA, so I spent hours talking with my residents about the issue because those who came from cities who are >95% white don't see what the deal is.

These essays looked daunting at first but they ended up being very enjoyable! Submitted and just waiting on my fee waiver to process, wondering if anybody else's has?

My waiver has not been processed yet. Emailed Duke 7/3.

This essay, "what challenges will you have working with people of a different sex, sexual orientation, race, etc.," Is troubling me. I don't think I will have any problems working with or treating people that are different from me. It would be messed up if you did... I don't know what to say about it. Language barrier? Cultural differences? What do you guys think?

Of course you wouldn't outright discriminate against patients, but do you think that you are completely aware of all cultures, races/ethnicities, sexual orientations, genders, socioeconomic positions, etc.? You could probably talk about that and how each different group has their own unique considerations when offering them treatment and how you would learn about those considerations (e.g., you can't prescribe a really expensive brand name medication to a poor person, so could you prescribe them a generic or can you give them lifestyle change advice that could negate the need for medication?)

These essays looked daunting at first but they ended up being very enjoyable! Submitted and just waiting on my fee waiver to process, wondering if anybody else's has?

Mine was processed the day after I sent it. Did you send it to admissions or to Richard Wallace?

Richard Wallace has retired. I would recommend sending whatever you guys have to send to the general Duke admissions email.

Duke's MD/MBA program is 5 years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most other schools you have to do some MBA class or something like that in the pre-clinical years whereas this doesn't happen at Duke. If you found a 1 year MBA program you could always do that during your third year and you would be done in 4.

In reference to the third year tuition question, yes you do pay tuition for third year no matter what you do or where you go (except for MSTPer's of course). To help explain this I will copy what I posted on last year's thread:
"I understand it seems weird to pay for a research year. The best way to think about it is you will be paying 4 years of med school tuition no matter where you go. The cool thing is Duke gives you the opportunity to earn scholarships/fellowships for the third year. At what other school can you do that?? It is my understanding that a significant number of students (i.e. most or all of those that try) get some sort of funding and some are able to pay their entire tuition for third year through intramural/extramural funding.

One final note is that any additional 3rd years (aka research or second degree or whatever) that one decides to take is tuition free, more like a year off at another school. If you decide to get a MBA, which is a 2 year degree, you would pay for the third year at the med school but not the second "3rd" year. Some people take an additional research year and that is tuition free. Sorry if this seems confusing, I couldn't figure it out for the longest time!"

One final note is that any additional 3rd years (aka research or second degree or whatever) that one decides to take is tuition free, more like a year off at another school. If you decide to get a MBA, which is a 2 year degree, you would pay for the third year at the med school but not the second "3rd" year. Some people take an additional research year and that is tuition free. Sorry if this seems confusing, I couldn't figure it out for the longest time!"
So in other words, there is absolutely nothing special about Duke's financial structure. You pay for 4 years of school. And you can take a year off of med school and remain affiliated with the school without having to pay tuition if you don't want to. I don't get how this counts as "tuition-free." How is it tuition free if you take a year off and aren't even in school???

Grammar Nazi question here!

Is it bad to use dangling prepositions? Normally, I'm super opposed, but in some situations, it just sounds right.

Ex. sentence.

"That is the best I can hope for."

Should I switch it to

"That is the best for which I can hope"

??

"That is the best for which I can hope"
Only use this if a weird cringe from your reader is the best for which you can expect

lol dangling modifiers aren't really a thing anymore. Source: my school's English dept (top 10 in country)

Fee waiver finally processed YAY

So in other words, there is absolutely nothing special about Duke's financial structure. You pay for 4 years of school. And you can take a year off of med school and remain affiliated with the school without having to pay tuition if you don't want to. I don't get how this counts as "tuition-free." How is it tuition free if you take a year off and aren't even in school???

I don't understand what you are getting at but I'll bite. Technically you take a leave of absence from the medical school on your additional "3rd" years so you are still enrolled. So yes, tuition free. I wasn't trying to say "Duke is this great place where you don't have to pay when you aren't in the formal med school curriculum". What I was providing was a clarification to those that found the financial information useful as we get asked constantly if additional "3rd" years cost money or not on the med school side of things.

Finally, I think Duke has a unique financial structure not necessarily because of the tuition structure but because of the 3rd year itself. Most schools' third years you are in your clinical year. No ability to apply for HHMI/Doris Duke/NIH/intramural funding there. During our 3rd year we can apply for those without the need to take off additional time.

I don't understand what you are getting at but I'll bite. Technically you take a leave of absence from the medical school on your additional "3rd" years so you are still enrolled. So yes, tuition free. I wasn't trying to say "Duke is this great place where you don't have to pay when you aren't in the formal med school curriculum". What I was providing was a clarification to those that found the financial information useful as we get asked constantly if additional "3rd" years cost money or not on the med school side of things.

Finally, I think Duke has a unique financial structure not necessarily because of the tuition structure but because of the 3rd year itself. Most schools' third years you are in your clinical year. No ability to apply for HHMI/Doris Duke/NIH/intramural funding there. During our 3rd year we can apply for those without the need to take off additional time.
My only concern with Duke is possibly not being able to see enough rotations before we go into match. I want to know what I want to do and be sure of it...

My only concern with Duke is possibly not being able to see enough rotations before we go into match. I want to know what I want to do and be sure of it...

I actually think Duke is the place for you then. You get a full year between the end of your clinical year and when you submit your residency applications. At most other schools, you do your rotations then apply to whatever specialty almost right away. During our clinical year we also get two P/F selectives - basically electives in whatever you want to try out. Many people take time during the 3rd year to shadow specialties and such.

To the best of my knowledge there is no other school that allows as much time between the end of rotations and residency applications.

I actually think Duke is the place for you then. You get a full year between the end of your clinical year and when you submit your residency applications. At most other schools, you do your rotations then apply to whatever specialty almost right away. During our clinical year we also get two P/F selectives - basically electives in whatever you want to try out. Many people take time during the 3rd year to shadow specialties and such.

To the best of my knowledge there is no other school that allows as much time between the end of rotations and residency applications.
Good to hear then! Now I guess my concern switches to the high volume of info the first year and cramming for step 1 :)

Ok I think we were just using confusing terminology then. I don't consider taking a leave of absence to be an "extra 3rd year." It's just a leave of absence lol? Your saying "3rd year" made me think it had to do with the special Duke MS3. Thanks for the clear up hon' :thumbup:

Ok I think we were just using confusing terminology then. I don't consider taking a leave of absence to be an "extra 3rd year." It's just a leave of absence lol? Your saying "3rd year" made me think it had to do with the special Duke MS3. Thanks for the clear up hon' :thumbup:

Apologies for the confusion. We call them extra 3rd years because that is how we think of them. An extra year to accomplish more than we would have with the standard 3rd year. But they really are just extra years off similar to other schools.

Does anyone know if you apply for the Primary Care Leadership Track (PCLT), you are considered for that track?? Can you be accepted to Duke MD, but not the PCLT?? I really want to try applying to PCLT, because I am interested in primary care, but I'm not sure if I have enough activities that can show that I am interested in this field... thanks!