2016-2017 Duke University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As a Duke Alumni who happened to be driving to Durham to meet up with a significant other yesterday, I also have similar feelings. I think we should take peace of mind in that either way, we'll be getting an email on Monday, so we can either think about reapplying, think about other schools that we have left to hear from, or a different strategy to pursue our goals. Again, getting an interview at Duke indicates that you were qualified, from a grades, MCAT, extracurricular standpoint to get into medical school. So if medical school is our true dream, then I think we will all be fine in the end........I know that doesn't remove the anxiety and our inherent desire to stick to our phones, but if we zoom out, we will ALL be fine in the end!

Accepted to PCLT this morning!!!! I almost cried when I got the phone call lol!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did 3 MMIs and this was my last one, I DEFINITELY felt like it was the most intense. But I did not feel like any questions were inappropriate. I felt it was very fair but just exceptionally tough, which makes sense considering the school's status of being a top program. Not getting my hopes up, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I would love to get a call Monday. :(

Reactions: 4 users
so much work, but such little focus and motivation to do anything besides checking this thread to see if anyone else has gotten calls......PLS DUKE TAKE MEEEEEEEEE I LOVE YOUUUUU

not that this post adds anything meaningful to the conversation at all, but i just wanted to whine a little to get the anxiety out

Reactions: 1 users
so much work, but such little focus and motivation to do anything besides checking this thread to see if anyone else has gotten calls......PLS DUKE TAKE MEEEEEEEEE I LOVE YOUUUUU

not that this post adds anything meaningful to the conversation at all, but i just wanted to whine a little to get the anxiety out

Lmao your username

Reactions: 1 user
i'm not desperate or anything................

As a Duke Alumni who happened to be driving to Durham to meet up with a significant other yesterday, I also have similar feelings. I think we should take peace of mind in that either way, we'll be getting an email on Monday, so we can either think about reapplying, think about other schools that we have left to hear from, or a different strategy to pursue our goals. Again, getting an interview at Duke indicates that you were qualified, from a grades, MCAT, extracurricular standpoint to get into medical school. So if medical school is our true dream, then I think we will all be fine in the end........I know that doesn't remove the anxiety and our inherent desire to stick to our phones, but if we zoom out, we will ALL be fine in the end!

I hate being this guy, but it's one of my biggest pet peeves: *alumna (singular feminine), not alumnus (plural masculine or mixed genders)

Also, as someone who unfortunately has zero acceptances thus far, I am certainly not rid of anxiety yet.

So I guess our final fate comes tomorrow. Hopefully in the morning lol It would suck to have to wait all day

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if there are any more calls coming out tomorrow, good luck to all of you! If not, then I'm sorry you'll have to be in that boat with me (I don't hold much hope for tomorrow, but who knows?). All of us who interviewed here are qualified to be outstanding medical students. I know that it doesn't help to say you'll get in somewhere if you (like me) have no acceptances yet; through waitlists, however, that's still probably likely for most of us this year, and for the rest, there is always next year, and as crappy of a prospect as that may be, I'm sure we'll all end up with outstanding careers as physicians if we've come this far. Regardless of how that comes about, let's all try to remember that a few rejections don't define our worth, and we'll all make it in the end.

And I know some of you don't want to hear it. I wouldn't have wanted to hear it last Friday. But it's true nonetheless.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, if there are any more calls coming out tomorrow, good luck to all of you! If not, then I'm sorry you'll have to be in that boat with me (I don't hold much hope for tomorrow, but who knows?). All of us who interviewed here are qualified to be outstanding medical students. I know that it doesn't help to say you'll get in somewhere if you (like me) have no acceptances yet; through waitlists, however, that's still probably likely for most of us this year, and for the rest, there is always next year, and as crappy of a prospect as that may be, I'm sure we'll all end up with outstanding careers as physicians if we've come this far. Regardless of how that comes about, let's all try to remember that a few rejections don't define our worth, and we'll all make it in the end.

And I know some of you don't want to hear it. I wouldn't have wanted to hear it last Friday. But it's true nonetheless.

Thank you for this. But this is true. As much as we would all love to be at a top 10 school because let's face it we worked our asses off for this, we are not less intelligent or less successful or less worthy for not getting accepted here. We will all go on to do great things. Proud of everyone who has come this far. I mean that genuinely, and I wish you all the best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone accepted gotten an email to confirm our acceptance/ exact second look info?

anyone else notice they just deleted the section on their portal about no decisions being given over the phone? It was there this morning but isnt now lol

and maybe now im going crazy but i swear the "welcome to the duke supplemental application" disappeared too...

edit: no it didnt im going crazy

I just received an email! They said details about second look are still coming, but it looks like this is the end.

Hi all, just joined SDN.. and read through this thread. Interviewed in mid-December. No call/email yet. Anyone gotten a call or email today?

Hmm, I was accepted by phone call but haven't gotten my email yet. Anyone else?

is a WL here pretty much rejection
I heard that last year, they over accepted and so very few if any were let off of the wait list. But, that being said, they may have been more conservative with their acceptances this year to not repeat the same mistake and so there might be more wait list movement this year. Who knows?

Totally freaking out, have been having phone issues all weekend so I never got a call and assumed the worst, but just got the email congratulating me on my acceptance!!

Reactions: 15 users
Totally freaking out, have been having phone issues all weekend so I never got a call and assumed the worst, but just got the email congratulating me on my acceptance!!

wow that is awesome. Congrats to you! :)

Please don't say we have to wait until later in the week for waitlist emails, though...

Just got the acceptance email! no phone call.

Omg is this real? Acceptance email but no call. Freaking out!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted without a phone call as well!

My email refresh button is now broken.

Duke, y u do disssss. I luv u pls luv me.

Ughhh duuuuke just let me go already

my God this slow email release is torture. Just tell me my fate already i doubt that a decision hasn't already been made.

I'm guessing acceptances have already gone out at this point, and what's left is just wait list and rejection.