2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was just placed on hold -- better than being rejected, but I wonder if applicants who are on hold still have a shot, or if this is the end of the road for SUNY Upstate for me?...

Congrats to EVERYONE w/ IIs! Best of luck.
same here..was placed on hold 4 mins ago...curious to know what the success rate of getting an II from the hold list...

any feedback would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was just placed on hold -- better than being rejected, but I wonder if applicants who are on hold still have a shot, or if this is the end of the road for SUNY Upstate for me?...

Congrats to EVERYONE w/ IIs! Best of luck.

Well i'm OOS, so i figured it was a small chance anyways

same here..was placed on hold 4 mins ago...curious to know what the success rate of getting an II from the hold list...

any feedback would be appreciated
From looking at last year's threads, there sure were a lot of rejections a few months after a hold, but then again... SDN doesn't provide the best sample size, so I'm not really sure what it means =\ Good luck to you though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just put on hold as well. Was surprised to be notified via email

Just placed on hold to! At least it's not a rejection!

Reactions: 1 users
any rejections yet? Last time I applied, I was flat out rejected within 3 weeks of submitting the secondary...

Pre-secondary hold too...sigh

didn't get any notification...complete 7-25. Am I poised to be rejected?

Just got put on hold. See you guys in January.

Same. Hold, second preinterview hold if the cycle, and still no MD interviews. Ah well

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess Upstate is finally getting around to sending out email notifications to everyone. Just got the interview invite email, even though I got the II a while ago. So good news for anyone without a status change so far? No need to refresh the status page 100x per day.

Same. Hold, second preinterview hold if the cycle, and still no MD interviews. Ah well
I read in an old thread that 50% of the people on the hold list will get an interview by March. So it's not a rejection, but at least we still have a chance. Even if the chances are a lot smaller since people will be interviewed before us. :/

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II today. Nice start to the week.

HBD to me- hold as well. I was expecting this since I figured out they average MCAT attempts.

HBD to me- hold as well. I was expecting this since I figured out they average MCAT attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's my birthday too! At least we didn't get a rejection on our birthdays? ;) happy birthday to you!

I read in an old thread that 50% of the people on the hold list will get an interview by March. So it's not a rejection, but at least we still have a chance. Even if the chances are a lot smaller since people will be interviewed before us. :/
I'd like to know where you found this!

Pre-interview hold here as well, and my first negative feedback of the cycle. IS LizzyM >71. <cue sad trombone>

were all of you with holds complete in July/early August? I was complete late August... LM 63-66 so not super hopeful :[

A little about pre-interview hold. It is not a rejection, I know several classmates of mine that were placed on hold initially and then invited to interview and then accepted. Typically, you can expect to not hear for until later in the cycle (i.e. 2015). So don't see a pre-interview hold as a certain rejection.

Where exactly is the status update when you login? All I see Processed Applications and a link to my completed application. Sorry if this is a stupid q.
For everyone who got put on hold, did you get an email?

If you log in and have an interview, it's a huge bolded message where you normally see the processed applications area, towards the bottom of the page. Promise you won't miss it.

So, I just submitted my secondary and I got receipt of payment. But, when I go back to the login page first it said "you are not authorized to access blah blah" So, I try again and I'm essentially at the same page when I first open the secondary app. It says click new to start. Did anyone else experience this? In their secondary invite email they mention once the payment is processed they will send you an e-mail. Should I wait for that e-mail before my app gets updated?..

Congrats to everyone else with interviews and best of luck to those waiting.

Did anyone get an interview invitation as a re-applicant to Upstate? All the threads I have read suggest that Upstate simply rejects all re-applicants, so I'm just wondering.

I applied and got wait-listed last year, but got a reject email this morning stating their class for Fall 2015 has already been filled. I just thought it was weird that my application would be rejected so early this cycle when it's way better than my application was last year....I have a much higher MCAT score, more clinical exposure, and my personal statement was generally considered substantially better than last year's as well.

Yeah, I got an II as a reapp who was waitlisted last time, and if you got waitlisted and improved your app I'm gonna bet you will too. That reject email was for fall 2014; the year we got waitlisted.

They say they do at interview day, and they'll even tell you that if you call up

Yeah, I got an II as a reapp who was waitlisted last time, and if you got waitlisted and improved your app I'm gonna bet you will too. That reject email was for fall 2014; the year we got waitlisted.

Huh, that's interesting! It seems you are correct; the email didn't specify a year, and I just called and was informed the rejection letter was for last cycle. It seems odd they would send a reject email in September when the term started weeks ago though. They haven't reviewed my application yet this cycle. Hopefully with my additional experience and better MCAT I will make it in this time around! Good luck to everyone!

are there essay questions for MD/PhD applicants??

The people who got hold emails recently, when were you guys complete?

II today via status update! Complete 7/25.

Guys - is this possible at all..? It says I submitted my secondary, but I never did! I have no clue how this could happen. I didn't answer any of the questions. How could it go through??? Should I email them? I'm afraid of coming across as stupid -_-

Guys - is this possible at all..? It says I submitted my secondary, but I never did! I have no clue how this could happen. I didn't answer any of the questions. How could it go through??? Should I email them? I'm afraid of coming across as stupid -_-
You sure you didn't? There really weren't any questions to answer, mostly a check things off, and I think a q on what specialty you want to go into. Try going through for email to see if you have a confirmation of payment?

Anyone have any luck contacting a student host? Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've contacted 3 people so far in the last week, and none have responded. I looked at the list on the website and emailed them. Am I doing something wrong?

You sure you didn't? There really weren't any questions to answer, mostly a check things off, and I think a q on what specialty you want to go into. Try going through for email to see if you have a confirmation of payment?
I'm a FAP recipient so I never have to pay. I'm thinking that I accidentally pressed "Application is finished" instead of "Finish later" or something along those lines. When you look at your processed application, does it show what courses you put in for your requirements?

I'm a FAP recipient so I never have to pay. I'm thinking that I accidentally pressed "Application is finished" instead of "Finish later" or something along those lines. When you look at your processed application, does it show what courses you put in for your requirements?
No. It doesnt show the courses. Only the date they processed your LORs, AMCAS and secondary date are shown.

is it normal to take a couple of days to get a secondary from SUNY?

What's the general outcome for on hold status?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got put on hold today via email around 6pm. Somewhat disappointed but I know it's better than an outright rejection. In-state, 35, 3.5x.

Just got put on hold today via email around 6pm. Somewhat disappointed but I know it's better than an outright rejection. In-state, 35, 3.5x.
Hey. Sorry to hear that. Your stats are awesome so I am shocked they put you on hold. I am nervous about myself now. Do you mind sharing when you were "complete"?