2021-2022 SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @Morningnight for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 SUNY Upstate Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year (1800 character limit)
2. Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (1800 character limit.)
3. We understand that the COVID-19 crisis in Spring 2020 disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19. (1800 character limit)
4. Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? If yes, please describe. (1800 character limit)
5. Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice. (500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone received a secondary? Verified 6/25, still waiting.
I talked to Jennifer a few weeks ago (was waitlisted last cycle) and she said they wouldn’t be sending secondaries until mid July. I can’t remember the exact date but I think she said they would be starting next week.

Reactions: 2 users
any idea if they send these in batches, I've got nothing and I'm EDP. You'd think they'd hit me first

what are the prompts?
@wysdoc secondary prompts below
  1. If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year (1800 character limit)
  2. Which medical specialty are you thinking about pursuing at this point? (1800 character limit.)
  3. We understand that the COVID-19 crisis in Spring 2020 disrupted many aspects of our lives. Please share if you had any curricular impacts during this time, for example, change to pass/fail courses or to online coursework or if you anticipate any deficiencies in experiences as a result of COVID-19. (1800 character limit)
  4. Are there any areas of weakness in your application that you would like to clarify for the Admissions Committee? If yes, please describe. (1800 character limit)
  5. Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice. (500 words)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary yet, IS, shiver me timbers I'm tremblin in me knickers where is this secondary...

• Care
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
can we just add all the bio/chem/biochem courses we took under course requirements or just add enough to meet their requirements?

Do you see the application status page after you submit? O O F
I submitted and I got nothing after LOL. I went back to the portal and found my status in the "Processed Applications" menu. But it says I'm incomplete even though I have all my LORs, CASPer, etc... weird. Anyone else in the same boat?

I submitted and I got nothing after LOL. I went back to the portal and found my status in the "Processed Applications" menu. But it says I'm incomplete even though I have all my LORs, CASPer, etc... weird. Anyone else in the same boat?
I think they manually enter those. I submitted yesterday, and it was incomplete on everything. Now it says "PDF Load (Insert)" under the Note for each of the items, and it has a date under received. However, nothing under the status column.

I think they manually enter those. I submitted yesterday, and it was incomplete on everything. Now it says "PDF Load (Insert)" under the Note for each of the items, and it has a date under received. However, nothing under the status column.
Huh, interesting. It may be manual yeah! It now says "PDF Load (Insert)" but only for LORs. Does it say that for all of your things?

Huh, interesting. It may be manual yeah! It now says "PDF Load (Insert)" but only for LORs. Does it say that for all of your things?
Yes, all of mine now! It was only LORs when I initially submitted.

No secondary yet, IS, shiver me timbers I'm tremblin in me knickers where is this secondary...
I emailed them posthaste and they said they had not received my verified AMCAS application yet and I was like okay???? Even though I've received, submitted and have been marked complete on nearly every other school I've applied to?

They said they update every Tuesday so hopefully soon I get a secondary, so hopefully this info helps anyone else who hasn't received a secondary yet.

Got me knickers in a twist...

anybody know whats up with that "august MCAT" question? Like, I've taken the MCAT, who cares what month I took it in. Am I missing something here?

• Hmm
Still haven't received a secondary despite being verified since day 1...

After submitting my secondary, my application preference says "not entered." Did I miss something or are other people seeing this too?

After submitting my secondary, my application preference says "not entered." Did I miss something or are other people seeing this too?
mine says this as well but when you click into the app it says application completed. I think it's fine it's just an ANCIENT portal and they don't use that space anymore.

Can you apply for the Rural track and regular or one or the other?

Question says "If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year" so do they not want to know what I'll be doing in my gap year if I graduated this year???

Question says "If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year" so do they not want to know what I'll be doing in my gap year if I graduated this year???
If I interpret it literally, they do not want to know your plans if you graduated in June or after of this year. If you graduated in May 2021 or before, they do.

That is exactly what they want to know by saying “this past June,” meaning June this year that had already passed.

Okay this is a stupid question, but for 'select term' when submitting, what do I put? Spring, Summer or Fall? Not sure what theyre referring to.

Did anyone receive a confirmation that you submitted the secondary besides the payment email? When i go back to the portal, it doesn't even show my app

under the "processed applications" title on the same page, i only have the fall 2021 app i did last year. (im a reapp!)
I got an email the day after saying it was received

Hey everyone, just wanna confirm that when you click complete on the application portal, your application under "processed application" simply disappears, even after you received emails stating that you paid the fee and submitted the secondary, right?

I submitted my secondary and got the confirmation email that it was sent. Is there a way to verify everything was received and my application is ready for review?

Anyone else have this?
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 7.45.19 PM.png

"Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice."

Did you guys treat part of this like a why us or just answer your commitments to diversity etc?

"Upstate Medical University is strongly committed to providing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment for the patients we serve and all who work at, study at, or visit our campus. As a potential partner in this effort, please describe your commitment to eliminating health inequities, discrimination, or other forms of social injustice."

Did you guys treat part of this like a why us or just answer your commitments to diversity etc?
I wrote about a time where I have seen Health inequities and discrimination and how I tried to make a change. Then just said that I would like to continue to do this into medical school and blah blah