2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck everyone! OOS applicant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, don't be afraid to post questions here for current students to answer, there are several of us that still hang around here on SDN.

Hey everyone, don't be afraid to post questions here for current students to answer, there are several of us that still hang around here on SDN.
Assuming Upstate only looks at highest MCAT, do you know of any NY residents that got in with a 27 10/7/10? Thanks!

Assuming Upstate only looks at highest MCAT, do you know of any NY residents that got in with a 27 10/7/10? Thanks!

I won't go to much into specifics in regards to scores of applicants that have been accepted, I will say that the MCAT is just one section of your application, and depending on a whole host of other variables, a 27 could have different implications on your application.

not to be discouraging but on Upstate's admissions FAQs they say that the two most heavily weighed factors in the screening process when deciding who gets invited for an interview are GPA & MCAT. I know kids who have gotten interviews with a 29...but I'm not sure how many with 28s or 27s get them if at all.

Doesn't upstate average MCAT?

actually they do. thats a good call. i forgot they do that. I got a 26 on my first MCAT and a 33 on my retake. So an average of 29.5 and I was fortunate enough to be accepted this year. My GPA wasn't spectacular either (~3.55)

Reactions: 1 users
Applying here, actually the ad-com here is helping me fill my application since I work there and know them all. Hopefully I get accepted

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't upstate average MCAT?
Where does it mention averaging anywhere on their site? I don't understand- I obviously took mine a year apart because the first one was under not-ideal circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where does it mention averaging anywhere on their site? I don't understand- I obviously took mine a year apart because the first one was under not-ideal circumstances.
They really do average and don't look at scores below a 23. That's what they told me when I went there last week.

Anything about subsection score?
Yeahh, according to them they look anything above an 8 but verbal below a 7 raises red flags. They intentionally invite people with low MCATs but high gpa for interview, reject them and place them into one year guaranteed acceptance postbac at Buffalo.

Noo when they average and it is below a 23, they don't waste time to even review the application.
That's super annoying I wasted money on Upstate. My average is above that but I don't feel they'll even look at me now that they average instead of look at the most recent score.

That's super annoying I wasted money on Upstate. My average is above that but I don't feel they'll even look at me now that they average instead of look at the most recent score.
Hey you never know so don't lose hope

My GPA is not spectacular... pretty bad actually (3.42) but I'm hoping for some OOS love

don't get discouraged. I did awful on my first MCAT and a lot better on my second. Even if you averaged my two scores together i didn't get above a 30. Still, I got an early interview and was accepted in OCT. you never know what can happen.

Should I bother applying, considering that they average multiple MCAT scores? I'm IS and have 24 and 32...

not to be discouraging but on Upstate's admissions FAQs they say that the two most heavily weighed factors in the screening process when deciding who gets invited for an interview are GPA & MCAT. I know kids who have gotten interviews with a 29...but I'm not sure how many with 28s or 27s get them if at all.
Hold your head high, I was one of them. If you think this is the best school for you, tell them. Upstate truly looks at the whole package.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

Committee Letter, +
1) Genetics Professor
2) Neurobiology TA (PhD, was a 1 year class and the professor only gave LOR to people with solid A's)
3) Contemporary Western Philosophy Professor
4) Research-based Psychology Professor
5) Fraternity advisor
6) Family Practice Physician (DO) I shadowed

Do they want a paragraph or a one word answer to the specialty question?

Do they want a paragraph or a one word answer to the specialty question?
I answered in a couple words lol. It didnt say explain, they probably want to wait for that juicy stuff during interviews

Received and submitted secondary!

my school doesn't offer committee letter. should I email them and explain?

my school doesn't offer committee letter. should I email them and explain?

My school doesn't either, but on their website it says you can have individual letters in lieu of a committee letter. If you do email them, let me know what they say please.

Same here, just wrote the specialty name.

Hey all,

did you guys get an "application complete" email or anything similar? I paid and got the payment confirmation but then most schools take you to a page where you submit after the payment and I feel like Upstate didn't have that. Yes? No? When I log back in, the details on the application is pretty scarce though it won't let me edit anything so I'm guessing it's all well and done? I just want closure damn it!

Hey all,

did you guys get an "application complete" email or anything similar? I paid and got the payment confirmation but then most schools take you to a page where you submit after the payment and I feel like Upstate didn't have that. Yes? No? When I log back in, the details on the application is pretty scarce though it won't let me edit anything so I'm guessing it's all well and done? I just want closure damn it!

Didn't get a confirmation email, but when I submitted it the page said it was received.

Submitted just now..no email and the page does not show it was received..maybe it'll update in the AM

Will someone please post the secondary essay questions?

there are no essay questions.

If you want to know for sure that they've received your app, start a new one and it will stop you.

If you want to know for sure that they've received your app, start a new one and it will stop you.
Cool trick!
I was having the same issue! On top of that, I just got an email for "Missing Items" and they are missing my secondary and LOR, but it gives me an error saying I already submitted when starting a new app... so I guess we wait then!