2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who did the secondary last year, can anyone comment on whether there were word/character limits on the questions that didn't list a specific number? I.e.:

• Are there any periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full time or in college full-time? If yes, please describe your activities. (No word count listed)
  • Will you be attending college full-time as of September 15? If no, please describe your activities for the period of September 15 to July 1. (No word count listed)
  • If you have a specific reason why you wish to attend SUNY Downstate or a medical school in New York City, please explain. If this question does not apply to you, enter “not applicable” in the text box below. (No word count listed)
  • What in your current/future activity/activities have/will contribute to diversity, health equity and social justice? (No word count listed)
My last record shows that the only questions with a word limit were the support system and the urban experience ones. All the others (the ones you wrote or very similar to those) had no limit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any movement since CTE date?

I just called admissions and they said there is still waitlist movement, and will keep accepting people off the waitlist up until the Friday or Monday AFTER classes start. So apparently we can hear back as late as August 21st.

This wait is unbearable, especially having already signed a lease in a different city for a DO school that starts at the same time Downstate starts. And having a non-medical school roommate who is quitting her current job and moving out of her parent’s house to come live with me.

At what point do I just commit to attending the DO school regardless if I get off the waitlist here or not? For context, it’s one of the top 5 OG DO schools if that matters at all.

Is anyone on the WL having a hard time getting their health clearance forms checked off the list? I’ve not been able to reach anybody in the health center dept and have received no replies or anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I just called admissions and they said there is still waitlist movement, and will keep accepting people off the waitlist up until the Friday or Monday AFTER classes start. So apparently we can hear back as late as August 21st.

This wait is unbearable, especially having already signed a lease in a different city for a DO school that starts at the same time Downstate starts. And having a non-medical school roommate who is quitting her current job and moving out of her parent’s house to come live with me.

At what point do I just commit to attending the DO school regardless if I get off the waitlist here or not? For context, it’s one of the top 5 OG DO schools if that matters at all.
Thanks for calling and letting us know! That is insane though, I had no idea we could hear back until then. I kind of gave up hope 1-2 weeks ago, but I guess it’s nice to know there’s a tiny sliver of hope still 🙏

When do you have to commit to the DO school?

Is anyone on the WL having a hard time getting their health clearance forms checked off the list? I’ve not been able to reach anybody in the health center dept and have received no replies or anything.
They never replied to me either. I sent them a while ago

Thanks for calling and letting us know! That is insane though, I had no idea we could hear back until then. I kind of gave up hope 1-2 weeks ago, but I guess it’s nice to know there’s a tiny sliver of hope still

When do you have to commit to the DO school?

I already signed a lease in the city with my best friend from college who is leaving her current job to come live with me so there is more riding on this than I would have liked.

Both schools start orientation and classes on the same day so I can’t imagine much movement happening after August 7th, unless someone drops out super last minute? But how common is that?

Trying to just gauge at what point, if any, I just call it quits on this school and attend the DO school no matter what

From what I’ve seen on previous threads, it seems that there could be minimal movement late July, which is next week for us. Here’s to hoping more of us get accepted next week 😩

• Care
I already signed a lease in the city with my best friend from college who is leaving her current job to come live with me so there is more riding on this than I would have liked.

Both schools start orientation and classes on the same day so I can’t imagine much movement happening after August 7th, unless someone drops out super last minute? But how common is that?

Trying to just gauge at what point, if any, I just call it quits on this school and attend the DO school no matter what
Wait downstate starts classes on the 7th, but they said they’ll take people off the waitlist until august 21 ?

This is such a hard position to be in, but I’m happy for you that you have an acceptance!! I don’t think anyone will be able to tell you what the best decision to make is. I’m thinking that it’s very rare that more people will get off this waitlist since it’s so late, but there’s no way to say for sure. :(

Wait downstate starts classes on the 7th, but they said they’ll take people off the waitlist until august 21 ?

This is such a hard position to be in, but I’m happy for you that you have an acceptance!! I don’t think anyone will be able to tell you what the best decision to make is. I’m thinking that it’s very rare that more people will get off this waitlist since it’s so late, but there’s no way to say for sure. :(

Yeah, they said they will continue to pull people off the waitlist through their first week of class until that Friday or following Monday which I find so bizarre.

Yeah, they said they will continue to pull people off the waitlist through their first week of class until that Friday or following Monday which I find so bizarre.
Yeah that’s honestly crazy that they expect us to just quit work last minute, find an apartment, find a way to pay for school and everything. It’s unfair and I’m totally down to do it. Sooooo Downstate even though I’m not ready, I’m ready. Bring it on baby

• Haha
You guys think there will be any acceptances this week? 😭 I feel like this is potentially the last week for some movement

• Love