2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't interview yet but im curious how much of what you were asked was anticipated, and how much was curveball

Also what time did the day start/end

They email you a few days before your interview telling you to arrive at either 8:30 or 10:15am. The 10:15 am group was out by 3:00ish. Most questions weren't curve ball. Pretty expected. Some scenario, ethics ... typical questions. We signed a non-disclosure agreement saying we wouldn't repeat questions, so sorry I can't be more specific.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone interviewing Monday? I'm flying in tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up, I kind of wanted to check out Dinosaur BBQ!

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the upstate interview an all-day affair, or does it end by midday?

So is the upstate interview an all-day affair, or does it end by midday?
They email you a few days before your interview telling you to arrive at either 8:30 or 10:15am. The 10:15 am group was out by 3:00ish. Most questions weren't curve ball. Pretty expected. Some scenario, ethics ... typical questions. We signed a non-disclosure agreement saying we wouldn't repeat questions, so sorry I can't be more specific.

Amazing interview day today. The dean of admissions is extremely pleasant. MMI format was nerve wracking at first but easy to settle into. Loved the campus from what we saw especially the proximity to the city, housing, and SU!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah I see. Haven't heard anything from SUNY in a while and I just got paranoid that they don't send out emails.

After frantically checking everything including my snail mail and my missed call logs, I know what you're saying. I do think all schools send out emails, though.

Posted using SDN Mobile

hold email, complete ~8/20 :[

Amazing interview day today. The dean of admissions is extremely pleasant. MMI format was nerve wracking at first but easy to settle into. Loved the campus from what we saw especially the proximity to the city, housing, and SU!

So glad to hear it went well! How did you get to the school from the airport/train station? I'm wondering if there are taxis around.

Are there likely to still be enough spots open if interviewing in December? I just got an II yesterday, and every spot until December 3rd was taken...
Do you mind sharing stats and complete date ? And congrats.

This is incredibly late but I've been MIA on SDN for awhile....
Got an II on 8/11, scheduled for 10/6. Complete 8/1, IS.

*cricket sounds*

Q: Do people typically go for black/grey suits, or is some standing out acceptable? :)

Looks like Upstate sends out status updates every Monday.....

You do not want to stand out due to your suit color. Black, grey, charcoal, and navy only :).
Agreed. Within those colors are a good amount of stylistic variation for you to pick what you like. Stick to those colors if you can

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I have an interview on Oct 22 and will be driving from the NYC area the day before. Anyone from NYC interviewing the same day and would like to join me for the car ride? Would be nice to split gas/tolls etc... and have some company for the way.

Hey everyone,

I have an interview on Oct 22 and will be driving from the NYC area the day before. Anyone from NYC interviewing the same day and would like to join me for the car ride? Would be nice to split gas/tolls etc... and have some company for the way.
I would except I already interviewed. Enjoy your time in Syracuse.

To anyone that has already interviewed, how is the parking at SUNY Upstate?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I have an interview on Nov. 5th. I don't think I ever entertained the idea of driving for 8 hours from the city to Upstate. lol

I have an interview on Nov. 5th. I don't think I ever entertained the idea of driving for 8 hours from the city to Upstate. lol
Agreed. I flew over and business class Amtrak back. Not so expensive. I used the chase sapphire card points converted Amtrak millage to get the return train ticket--4500 points for regular ticket, 6500 points for business. But the cost of the taxi from syracuse airport to where my student host lived--not far from campus--was almost the same as my train ticket.

Agreed. I flew over and business class Amtrak back. Not so expensive. I used the chase sapphire card points converted Amtrak millage to get the return train ticket--4500 points for regular ticket, 6500 points for business. But the cost of the taxi from syracuse airport to where my student host lived--not far from campus--was almost the same as my train ticket.
Seems like taxis are expensive everywhere.

Last edited:
You do not want to stand out due to your suit color. Black, grey, charcoal, and navy only :).
I've worn a colored suit blazer to all my interviews thus far and haven't received any negative feedback. You just have to get over the fact that 99.99% of the time you'll be the only one in real color ;)

Did anyone get to sit in on any classes and did you coordinate that yourself? Probably a silly question lol

Did anyone get to sit in on any classes and did you coordinate that yourself? Probably a silly question lol
Not a silly question at all. You'll be giving a class schedule and be told where the M1 or M2's lectures would be held. Then it's your pick. I mostly stayed in M1's two lectures, but I'm sure others have gone to M2's as well. It was very helpful for me to see how the students learn in class for about half an hour. I was recommended by my hosts to go to the Radiology lecture. Glad I listened. Both the students and the teachers seem to be very comfortable with having interviewees coming in and out. So I wasn't shy about it.

Not a silly question at all. You'll be giving a class schedule and be told where the M1 or M2's lectures were held. Then it's your pick. I mostly stayed in M1's two lectures, but I'm sure others have gone to M2's as well. It was very helpful for me to see how the students learn in class for about half an hour. I was recommended by my hosts to go to the Radiology lecture. Glad I listened. Both the students and the teachers seem to be very comfortable with having interviewees coming in and out. So I wasn't shy about it.

Out of curiosity, did you receive the schedule ahead of time or on the morning of your arrival? Thanks.

Out of curiosity, did you receive the schedule ahead of time or on the morning of your arrival? Thanks.
It's in the package that you'll receive when you check in. I'd probably PM you, only that what I have is not going to be applicable to your date--it's all different week from week.

It's in the package that you'll receive when you check in. I'd probably PM you, only that what I have is not going to be applicable to your date--it's all different week from week.

Thanks! Also, I noticed you said you flew in and Amtraked out. How much was the taxi each way to/from school? Were they readily available? I'm thinking of staying in a hotel but worried about not being able to catch a cab early in the am.

Thanks! Also, I noticed you said you flew in and Amtraked out. How much was the taxi each way to/from school? Were they readily available? I'm thinking of staying in a hotel but worried about not being able to catch a cab early in the am.
Taxi from the airport to somewhere a bit further from campus was about $40 (with 10% student discount offered to me voluntarily by the cab company)+tip. The one that I used was called dependable. 315-422-1000. Maybe give them a call to see if they'll have problem with picking you up early. It was quite expensive for my taste for 10miles of a ride. I would recommend student hosts. Mine were just incredible. I never had to use the taxi again because they gave me rides for the rest of the trip. They also have a pretty good bus system, maybe check their Park and Transit website to see if any of the bus (mostly free) ran pass your hotel.

Taxi from the airport to somewhere a bit further from campus was about $40 (with 10% student discount offered to me voluntarily by the cab company)+tip. The one that I used was called dependable. 315-422-1000. Maybe give them a call to see if they'll have problem with picking you up early. It was quite expensive for my taste for 10miles of a ride. I would recommend student hosts. Mine were just incredible. I never had to use the taxi again because they gave me rides for the rest of the trip. They also have a pretty good bus system, maybe check their Park and Transit website to see if any of the bus (mostly free) ran pass your hotel.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was so worried about being stranded at the airport/hotel.

I don't know if it's too late to request student hosting now. I declined it because I'm a super light sleeper. Do you think the benefits would be worth it?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I was so worried about being stranded at the airport/hotel.

I don't know if it's too late to request student hosting now. I declined it because I'm a super light sleeper. Do you think the benefits would be worth it?
I did a last minute request and it worked for me. Syracuse was super peaceful at night, so I had no problem. But I think it's all case by case--the timing of scheduling and the comfort level. So far all of my student hosts experiences have been extraordinary. I liked the benefit because I got to know people and I also have very little money left and a long trail to cover.

I did a last minute request and it worked for me. Syracuse was super peaceful at night, so I had no problem. But I think it's all case by case--the timing of scheduling and the comfort level. So far all of my student hosts experiences have been extraordinary. I liked the benefit because I got to know people and I also have very little money left and a long trail to cover.

Sorry for the million and one questions, but did you call Upstate to do a last minute request for student host or did you go through the online portal? Thanks so much!

how much preparation do you think is needed for MMI? II today and there is an opening to go down this Wednesday... I haven't done MMI yet

Sorry for the million and one questions, but did you call Upstate to do a last minute request for student host or did you go through the online portal? Thanks so much!
No worries, I emailed my host directly after picking him off the list provided.

II today (first one of the cycle!). Complete Sept. 22nd. Lizzy M ~ 74-77.

Can anyone who interviewed here offer some insight into the structure of the day. I am thinking about interviewing on a particular date, but, for the sake of time on the night of my interview, I am not sure if I should pick this day. I would be happy to / appreciative of an opportunity to PM someone who has interviewed here, if that is preferred.

II today (first one of the cycle!). Complete Sept. 22nd. Lizzy M ~ 74-77.

Can anyone who interviewed here offer some insight into the structure of the day. I am thinking about interviewing on a particular date, but, for the sake of time on the night of my interview, I am not sure if I should pick this day. I would be happy to / appreciative of an opportunity to PM someone who has interviewed here, if that is preferred.
You'll be notified if you need to arrive either around 8 or around 10. I was told to go over at 10am. So it was class/lunch/tour then MMI from 1:30 to 3:30 ish. I actually didn't see another group interviewing earlier that day and my interview group was pretty big (20), big enough that its hard to imagine they organize two of such groups in one day. 's it could be that everyone was interviewing at the same time on a given day. Not sure. They are pretty friendly and open. I wouldn't hesitate to give the office a call.
Oh and Congrats! First II is something to be celebrated about for sure. It's a great school. I'm proud to have interviewed at Upstate.

how much preparation do you think is needed for MMI? II today and there is an opening to go down this Wednesday... I haven't done MMI yet

Last edited: