2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No status update tab
As said in earlier posts by some of the others, its where you login to the secondary, the same link you recieved from Upstate to complete the secondary
Under "Admission Term" "Fall 2015," a small blue bubble popped up (that was not there before) and a large message next to it that says "Congratulations on being selected for an Interview!"

I think I was complete the last week of july, submitted it mid july

Members don't see this ad.

No status update tab
As said in earlier posts by some of the others, its where you login to the secondary, the same link you recieved from Upstate to complete the secondary
Under "Admission Term" "Fall 2015," a small blue bubble popped up (that was not there before) and a large message next to it that says "Congratulations on being selected for an Interview!"

I think I was complete the last week of july, submitted it mid july
Thanks for the info. I was completed First week of Aug so glad to know that I'm not out of the game yet. Ohhhh, big congrats!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Also when were you complete/do you mind sharing stats?
oh, sorry, didnt see the thing about stats
my LizzyM is <70, and it seems Upstate does a truly holistic review, as they state (as I'm sure many other schools do as well)
Believe me when I say my numbers did me no favors

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else choosing Oct. 1 for their interview?

Last edited:
Congrats! Can you guys say when you were complete, based on the complete email they sent.

Any current students have any suggestions on how to spend a day in syracuse? Gonna be coming in at night on the 13th for a october 15th interview.

Just got a II as well! Complete 8/1. Super excited! And also stressing out that I'll be in Syracuse for less than 16 hours the way I had to book my flights. Any suggestions on things/areas to see to try and get a feel for it pretty quickly? I have some friends that are for undergrad, but I'm assuming there may be more there than the few college hangouts they talk about? Thanks, y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
II. IS. Emailed received today around 7:20pm. Complete 8/1

Just want to say that when you submit photo for Interview, make sure that your jpg file size is a lot less than 3Mb. Otherwise you might run into the problem of having your internet stop working for a moment and you won't be able to complete submission. I learned my lesson after trying a 21mb file on several different computers.

For any current Upstate students: is the Bing option more competitive since it is only for 1/4 of the class?

I'd also be interested to hear about Binghamton from a current student :)

Reactions: 1 users
II, so happy first invite! Upstate is on the top of my list

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! That's really quick turn around time. Crossing my fingers for an invite sometime soon

II! IS
Complete 8/8
No email, just checked the status page today.
Woot! :)!

Congrats to all the new IIs!!! Look forward to meet some of you!

Does upstate review applications in the order they were received?

I was marked complete on 8/1 and I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything from them. My stats are similar to some people on here who got an IS II. I'm reapplying there and it's my top choice so I'm dying to hear from them!

Does upstate review applications in the order they were received?

I was marked complete on 8/1 and I'm freaking out because I haven't heard anything from them. My stats are similar to some people on here who got an IS II. I'm reapplying there and it's my top choice so I'm dying to hear from them!
Upstate seems to put people on hold for a while or offer them II right away depending on your stats. I looked at some previous threads, and noticed people w/ >Avg Mcat/Gpa getting II within a few weeks of complete. I also know that Upstate does the whole process really quick, and is usually a good Suny applicants first interviews or hold.

Don't know if it helps, I was also marked complete on 8/1 and got my II on 8/18. I'm IS. LizzyM 78-80. There is a possibility that people who are completed on the same day can get assigned to different reviewers. I've seen II coming out not exactly in the order of completion dates. I think it isn't time to worry yet for those who are completed early Aug. I have similar issues with other schools seeing people who submitted after me got IIs, so definitely I know it's hard to be in the limbo.

Thanks guys.

My Lizzy M is a 68.3 so we're in a bit of a different class lol, but I have seen similar people with interviews. I'm trying to keep calm about it, it just stinks seeing other people hear already. Last year I was offered an II after 5 weeks, so that's still 2 weeks longer than this year. However, I'm not sure how they look on reapplicants. I didn't retake the MCAT but I have new employment and an increased GPA. We'll see how it goes. My fingers are crossed for Upstate!!

I've been complete since 7/25 and nothing, like at many schools. Wth is rolling admissions (blah blah doesnt mean you get ii'd first, but you should def get looked at first/given some sort of update)

Thanks guys.

My Lizzy M is a 68.3 so we're in a bit of a different class lol, but I have seen similar people with interviews. I'm trying to keep calm about it, it just stinks seeing other people hear already. Last year I was offered an II after 5 weeks, so that's still 2 weeks longer than this year. However, I'm not sure how they look on reapplicants. I didn't retake the MCAT but I have new employment and an increased GPA. We'll see how it goes. My fingers are crossed for Upstate!!

I'm a reapplicant too, and all the reapps I can think of who were given IIs their first were given them their second. I'm sure it's coming, sit tight.

*Obviously this only extends to Upstate, but I figured I should make that explicit?

Although everyone I can think of was waitlisted in some form (including myself- I was on the hold list)

Last edited:
For any current Upstate students: is the Bing option more competitive since it is only for 1/4 of the class?

I interviewed there last year and I remember not many people choosing Binghamtom when they asked us to put down our preferences. I put down Bing because I went there for undergrad and I think it'd be nice to return for 2 years.

Last edited:
II! FYI - didn't get an e-mail...just thought I'd check my status at all my schools and voila! A small bubble on my status with an II - so check your status! For those who are interested, Lizzy M 72, complete on 7/18. Very excited!

II! I think I magically refreshed the page right onto the invite, but not sure - for those of you with Chrome, make sure your HTTP settings are set to let Upstate's system in. I changed some settings, refreshed and suddenly invite!
~69 Lizzy M, IS, complete 8/12

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone choose 10/8 for their interview date? :)

II! I think I magically refreshed the page right onto the invite, but not sure - for those of you with Chrome, make sure your HTTP settings are set to let Upstate's system in. I changed some settings, refreshed and suddenly invite!
~69 Lizzy M, IS, complete 8/12
How do you do this? It keeps showing a red line through my http.

How do you do this? It keeps showing a red line through my http.

I'm using Chrome, and I clicked where the lock symbol next to the HTTP and checked the settings on it (so that Upstate wasn't blocked). Strangely, I did have it green before (no red line), but I kept getting the message that my browser had Upstate blocked. I'm terrible with technology, so your best bet (if this doesn't work) is probably to call Upstate or a google search. Hope you get an invite too!

Does anyone know what is the best hotel to stay in? I know a lot of hotels offer free shuttle to the airport, but I'm coming by bus, and was wondering if there was any that had a bus pick-up type of program? Thanks!

I'm interviewing here at the end of Sept. and was hoping a student could tell me how best to travel and get lodging from New York City. I was thinking either driving or bus/train, but leaning to bus/train to avoid having to drive. But then I'll need taxi services from the bus/train station to the motel. Was also wondering which motel is most affordable/nearby? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I read there are interview threads on sdn but can't find them...is all of this info. there..?

I'm interviewing here at the end of Sept. and was hoping a student could tell me how best to travel and get lodging from New York City. I was thinking either driving or bus/train, but leaning to bus/train to avoid having to drive. But then I'll need taxi services from the bus/train station to the motel. Was also wondering which motel is most affordable/nearby? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I read there are interview threads on sdn but can't find them...is all of this info. there..?

Flight was pretty cheap for me (<$160), jetblue FTW.

I've done bus and train NYC to SYR before. The bus depends on if it's an express or local, the local greyhound through CNY takes FOREVER. Train is fine, comfortable but not as many times as greyhound. Every couple years there's some new bus company that runs cheap routes NYC->SYR->ROC->BUF, this seems to be the current one: http://www.gotobus.com/new-york-to-syracuse-bus/. Never taken it, not sure how it is.

Your best bets for the hotels are listed on the invite, mention Upstate and you get a nice discount. The Crowne plaza is ~100/night and has shuttles. Plus it's a 15 minute walk from the admissions office.

EDIT: grammar is hard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information! The bus times are super inconvenient (get there around midnight, leave with little time to spare after the interview etc)

Has anyone done the student hosting program? There's a list of student hosts + emails, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to go ahead and email them ourselves or what

Interviewing here in a couple weeks. Would also like to know more about the student hosting program. Or does anyone know of a cheap hotel in the area? Planning to take the bus/train there.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see the "Other information" links in the interview invite page

Was just placed on hold -- better than being rejected, but I wonder if applicants who are on hold still have a shot, or if this is the end of the road for SUNY Upstate for me?...

Congrats to EVERYONE w/ IIs! Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users