2022-2023 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the people who recieved the health forms email, did you guys also recieve an invite to an in-person tour? I'm trying to figure out if this indicates that we're on the high priority WL. Give a thumbs up if you've gotten both. Thumbs down if you've only gotten the email but not an UNSOLICITED tour invite. Everyone got a tour invite after someone questioned admin about it on the virtual chat, but this wouldn't mean anything.

Reactions: 10 users
It's very likely not. I did not receive an unsolicited tour invite but received both emails regarding the health forms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 10/25, and I was put on the waitlist on 4/3

Man I feel like there's barely been any movement this week compared to last year. Is it sampling bias or actually slow WL movement? :(

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I've been looking at previous threads, and it does seem slower.. But it may be me just trying to cope. I've already given up (although deep down I have hopes of getting off the list) and started preparing for reapp. The stress is unreal ;-;..

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Withdrew my app from the waitlist. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 5 users
Looks like there was some movement last week. The FB group increased by 6
Is the group you are referring to called SUNY Downstate Medical Center Class of 2027? I believe that is for the entire university and not the college of medicine. the bio says "welcome freshmen". MS1's don't generally go by freshmen. Or is there another group I can't find?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the group you are referring to called SUNY Downstate Medical Center Class of 2027? I believe that is for the entire university and not the college of medicine. the bio says "welcome freshmen". MS1's don't generally go by freshmen. Or is there another group I can't find?
Yeah, that’s the one I looked into. That’s the only one that’s increased in numbers since February going from 370 to 407. So, I just assumed it reflects the incoming med students

Have any admitted students received the green light on health clearance yet?

Wow. The number went from 407 to 460 in the FB group in a day. I wonder what happened. Felt like magic

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
George Clooney Film GIF by NETFLIX

• Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Wow. The number went from 407 to 460 in the FB group in a day. I wonder what happened. Felt like magic
Saw something in last year's thread about this facebook group. apparently, it is re-used from year to year and has no affiliation with the university much less the COM. wouldn't worry about it

Reactions: 2 users
At this point I just want anyone to get in even if it’s not me so I can gauge whether the class is full or not

Withdrew my app from the waitlist. Good luck future doctors.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if we can send in our official transcripts via email or do we have to send them directly to the school?

I would love to know what you think about post #232 in this thread, which was made by one of your classmates. I’ve copied it here:

“Hi everyone! I have been wanting to do this for the past year and a half, and did not have the courage until now, because my experience at Downstate has been so bad and other students should know before they commit to 4 years here.

I started medical school with 6 acceptances, but ultimately I decided to attend Downstate because I wanted to be closer to family and my partner worked in NYC. This was a decision I regretted almost immediately.

Downstate promotes themselves as a school that supports their students, but in reality this is the furthest from the truth. If you are under-served, low income, have physical/mental health issues, need academic support or a combination of the above, they will not help or support you. Downstate caters to students that are privileged, although they market themselves to be otherwise.

If anyone is accepted to any other medical school in the US, please go there. Go anywhere but here.

If anyone wants more details or has questions, feel free to send me a private message.

This is my experience, so my experience may not be everyone's at Downstate, but for the majority of my class, it is”
Hey so I'm a current student. I'm gonna be honest. Theres clearly two types of students -- people who should actually be in medical school, and people who shouldn't be. You know what I mean, and I know what I mean also. I really don't think there needs to be much said here, but ill clarify lightly. There are mad students who try to do the absolute minimum possible, get burned, and then shout FIRE!!!!!!!! When in reality they are the ones that doused themselves in gasoline, either by violating attendance policies, not studying, thinking the school is abusing them by having them come to class a few days a week (not even all 5 if I may add), and making them do group work (literally an ACGME requirement). And then there are students who deserve to be there. Diligently studying, performing group work, engaging in the school classes and trying to make it a colorful experience with clubs and socializing etc etc etc list goes on. If you're the kind of student who thinks the school should spoonfeed you the material and that they should consider you their baby because you're paying tuition, you should reconsider medical school because that is not medical school. You learn to become fiercely independent in your foundations years in ALL medical schools -- maybe you should just go to a Caribbean school instead if you want someone to babysit you. These are also the same students who have a chip on their shoulder for thinking they are better than other people because they "got into medical school". These also happen to be the same people who come from high SES or at a minimum professionally educated/physician-lineage families. There is no classism in terms of low SES or high SES, for reference I am as low SES as they come and I've had nothing but ample opportunities inside of extremely competitive fields to get involved in. Students will make what they make of any school, downstate is no exception. p.s. i think there are some negative things about the school, but every school has negative things and no school is perfect. But lets be clear here that bad students will always have ****ty things to say about even the most remarkable program there is.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey so I'm a current student. I'm gonna be honest. Theres clearly two types of students -- people who should actually be in medical school, and people who shouldn't be. You know what I mean, and I know what I mean also. I really don't think there needs to be much said here, but ill clarify lightly. There are mad students who try to do the absolute minimum possible, get burned, and then shout FIRE!!!!!!!! When in reality they are the ones that doused themselves in gasoline, either by violating attendance policies, not studying, thinking the school is abusing them by having them come to class a few days a week (not even all 5 if I may add), and making them do group work (literally an ACGME requirement). And then there are students who deserve to be there. Diligently studying, performing group work, engaging in the school classes and trying to make it a colorful experience with clubs and socializing etc etc etc list goes on. If you're the kind of student who thinks the school should spoonfeed you the material and that they should consider you their baby because you're paying tuition, you should reconsider medical school because that is not medical school. You learn to become fiercely independent in your foundations years in ALL medical schools -- maybe you should just go to a Caribbean school instead if you want someone to babysit you. These are also the same students who have a chip on their shoulder for thinking they are better than other people because they "got into medical school". These also happen to be the same people who come from high SES or at a minimum professionally educated/physician-lineage families. There is no classism in terms of low SES or high SES, for reference I am as low SES as they come and I've had nothing but ample opportunities inside of extremely competitive fields to get involved in. Students will make what they make of any school, downstate is no exception. p.s. i think there are some negative things about the school, but every school has negative things and no school is perfect. But lets be clear here that bad students will always have ****ty things to say about even the most remarkable program there is.
Thank you this is really insightful.

At this point, it wouldn't matter to me if this school conducts ritualistic human sacrifice in their anatomy labs. Could you ask adcom when we can expect wl movement? Thx.:thumbup:

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Hey fam I’m on some neurotic procrastination vibes so I just counted the AL A’s posted here…

Since the big AL dump on 4/3 there’s been 17 people saying they got off the waitlist (some also said they withdrew their acceptance)

Since the beginning of May there’s been 8 people who’ve said they got off the waitlist.

The last person to say they got off the waitlist was on 5/9.

Who knows what any of this means but there ya go 🙃

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey fam I’m on some neurotic procrastination vibes so I just counted the AL A’s posted here…

Since the big AL dump on 4/3 there’s been 17 people staying they got off the waitlist (some also said they withdrew their acceptance)

Since the beginning of May there’s been 8 people who’ve said they got off the waitlist.

The last person to say they got off the waitlist was on 5/9.

Who knows what any of this means but there ya go 🙃
A champion of the people

Maybe most of the waitlist movement already happened....

My question is, did anyone report a R after their interview? Or was everyone who interviewed just placed on the WL lol

Reactions: 1 user
I think almost everyone received an AL position but i could be wrong

Ugh y’all I’m so tired of waiting week after week 😩 is it possible WL movement is already over? It’s been so silent

Can any of the admitted students, either direct or from the AL, give some insight into the numbers and sentiment they are seeing in the FB/group or maybe anywhere (if there is one directly connected to Downstate)? This may be a lot to ask but we are so much in the dark for months on end and with this being an only option for many of us it is so draining to not know anything. I greatly appreciate any information :)

Reactions: 4 users
How many people does downstate interview … my MSAR expired

When do you guys think one should give up hope for getting off the wait-list here?like end of may?mid June? Don't know if I should keep waiting or start looking for housing for another school😔

When do you guys think one should give up hope for getting off the wait-list here?like end of may?mid June? Don't know if I should keep waiting or start looking for housing for another school😔
I believe someone earlier said that the class is usually full by the end of June :/