2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, quiet on the pre-matches here. Hopefully more come out soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the delay - was too busy jumping around in excitement!! :D

Pre-match acceptance on 11/15, at the same time as everyone else. Congrats to everyone else who pre-matched as well! And hang in there to everyone else, it seems like the first round of pre-match was small this year at UTHSCSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any oos-ers heard anything since Oct. 15th?

I'm wondering the same thing. OOS, interviewed 8-26, nothing but silence. Even sent them an email yesterday inquiring about my status but got no reply.

Have any oos-ers heard anything since Oct. 15th?
Based on last year's thread there were some OOS acceptances in late October then nothing until Dec 3. Maybe we'll get some good news after Thanksgiving.

Any insight into where San Antonio is at in interviews? Also, are they open to LOI? Thanks and good luck to all.

I sent one but didn't get much response. I've had negative interactions with the admissions office here though so who knows.

Same here. They have been pretty unresponsive whenever I contact them.

Hey guys, does SA give a list of nearby recommended hotels? I haven't seen any schools do it other than El Paso...

Hey guys, does SA give a list of nearby recommended hotels? I haven't seen any schools do it other than El Paso...
Yeah, they do. I got a pretty sizeable discount. Just go back to the login where you picked your interview date and there is information there about it.

For other OOS applicants waiting to hear back, I finally received a response from the admissions office. It said basically that I have been reviewed and could be accepted anywhere from now til May, which I guess is essentially a waitlist. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
For other OOS applicants waiting to hear back, I finally received a response from the admissions office. It said basically that I have been reviewed and could be accepted anywhere from now til May, which I guess is essentially a waitlist. Oh well.
Sorry to hear that, but at least it's not a rejection. When did you interview?

I withdrew from my II for 12/16... I hope someone here can get it.

I stayed at the Motel 6 across the street, and it was actually cheaper to book through the motel rather than the discount the school offered. Check both routes before booking.

Sorry to hear that, but at least it's not a rejection. When did you interview?

I interviewed 8/26. I don't really care as I've been accepted to 2 schools here in CA, but it does annoy me a little that I had to email to find out my status after I took the time and money to fly out there and interview. Would appreciate slightly better communication, but whatever. Good luck to anyone still waiting to hear back!

Courtyard San Antonio Medical Center was a nice stay...was about 110? 109? if I remember correctly...and it is only a mile away from campus!

Edit: Make sure to call and tell them you want the Medical School Interviewer deal

I stayed at the Motel 6 across the street, and it was actually cheaper to book through the motel rather than the discount the school offered. Check both routes before booking.
True. I saw that for the Motel6. I stayed at the Best Western. I was really impressed by their interview day - I love the new curriculum. The MS4 that interviewed me said he wished they had it as well. :) I'm very interested in doing my third year in the Rio Grande Valley. I'm curious, though, if you match into that in February if it would be possible to change after your second year. Life circumstances can change, so it'd be frustrating if you were stuck in that three years later. Might email Dr. Jones to find out. And share here of course. :)

True. I saw that for the Motel6. I stayed at the Best Western. I was really impressed by their interview day - I love the new curriculum. The MS4 that interviewed me said he wished they had it as well. :) I'm very interested in doing my third year in the Rio Grande Valley. I'm curious, though, if you match into that in February if it would be possible to change after your second year. Life circumstances can change, so it'd be frustrating if you were stuck in that three years later. Might email Dr. Jones to find out. And share here of course. :)

I asked about that during interview day! He said there aren't any current "rules" for that but he's sure that as we progress through school, there will be students that want to spend 3rd year down there that didn't match into it and, likewise, students that matched into it that have changed their minds. He said it shouldn't be an issue to swap students out.

I asked about that during interview day! He said there aren't any current "rules" for that but he's sure that as we progress through school, there will be students that want to spend 3rd year down there that didn't match into it and, likewise, students that matched into it that have changed their minds. He said it shouldn't be an issue to swap students out.
Thanks so much! Saved me an email. I wonder why they are doing the match then - I guess just to recruit a certain kind of student?

Is San Antonio done giving out interview invites? If not, anyone know up to what date they are scheduling right now?

Interview invite today, finally. Received a phone call this morning, she said they had dates in January but there was a cancellation for 12/9 I was able to take instead. Still hope for those waiting, good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
That's great. I'm still hoping too. Thanks for updating us on dates. Good luck!

Future doctors,
What are the medical school interview questions like?

Future doctors,
What are the medical school interview questions like?
Both of my interviewers initiated questions pertaining to my essays then as the interviews carried on, they allowed me to elaborate on whatever topic I chose. For example, I was asked about a particular part in one of my essays that dealt with shadowing in family medicine and I used that as a stepping stone to explain my passion for primary care medicine. We carried on discussing everything primary medicine related for the remainder of the interview (Obamacare effects, interesting things I saw while shadowing, what I learned, etc., etc.)

Sorry that was a bit lengthy, but yeah basically in a nutshell the interviewers only have your essays and ask you questions surrounding them. I interviewed with 2 faculty members and felt extremely comfortable and could tell they genuinely just wanted to learn more about me, rather than trip me up with hard questions. Bear in mind, you may get ethical questions; some interviewees on my day received quite a few (stem cell research, abortion, etc.)

Good luck!

Accepted on 11/15.
In-state
33R MCAT (only score)
3.23 undergraduate GPA
3.8 graduate science GPA
Significant research
Re-applicant

Pretty thrilled.

Reactions: 8 users
Both of my interviewers initiated questions pertaining to my essays then as the interviews carried on, they allowed me to elaborate on whatever topic I chose. For example, I was asked about a particular part in one of my essays that dealt with shadowing in family medicine and I used that as a stepping stone to explain my passion for primary care medicine. We carried on discussing everything primary medicine related for the remainder of the interview (Obamacare effects, interesting things I saw while shadowing, what I learned, etc., etc.)

Sorry that was a bit lengthy, but yeah basically in a nutshell the interviewers only have your essays and ask you questions surrounding them. I interviewed with 2 faculty members and felt extremely comfortable and could tell they genuinely just wanted to learn more about me, rather than trip me up with hard questions. Bear in mind, you may get ethical questions; some interviewees on my day received quite a few (stem cell research, abortion, etc.)

Good luck!
Thank you! I am interviewing for one of those accelerated med school programs and they did not ask me to write an essay, so I wonder what they will ask me.

Anyone live in the Dallas area? Literally everything around here is closed. No idea how I'm supposed to make it on Monday -.-

What about the buses? Like Megabus.

Oh, thanks. I never thought about that. I booked a flight last minute though. If that gets cancelled, I'll try the buses. If those aren't running, I'll have to reschedule. blehhh

Wow. Still no more prematches? Last year people who interviewed last week of November prematched by now. Maybe UTHSCA decided to go light on the prematches?

crossing my fingers for a pre-match here! Interviewed November 18 :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Accepted! Interviewed on 11/11, IS. Fell out of my chair when I got the email.

I hope you all are hearing good news! Now off to find alcohol and an ice pack...

@nsdpi congrats! I hope that means they are handing out pre-matches for those interviewed after Nov 15 soon!

Accepted! Interviewed on 11/11, IS. Fell out of my chair when I got the email.

I hope you all are hearing good news! Now off to find alcohol and an ice pack...
Congrats, dude. Haven't heard yet, myself. Interviewed 11/25.

Accepted around 4pm. I was in a dance class so only found out around 5:20pm EST and was SOO happy. UTHSCSA is my top choice, and I've interviewed everywhere but TT-Lubbock (they seem to be picky this year) with a 30/3.97. Miracles do happen :)

Wow. Still no more prematches? Last year people who interviewed last week of November prematched by now. Maybe UTHSCA decided to go light on the prematches?
The dean Dr. Jones said they were not sending many out because they wanted to be fair to people interviewing in January.

The dean Dr. Jones said they were not sending many out because they wanted to be fair to people interviewing in January.
Yeah, I know. I think he said something to the effect of filling no more than 50% of the class by match day? Can't remember.

prematched. interviewed 11/11. instate

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody know if they are done giving out interview invites?

Prematched on Dec 10. Excited!!

Last edited:
So I sent a letter of interest to interview this morning to Dr. Jones, and I got a very short reply:
"Thanks for the update."
Im assuming this means "no, yungmedap, we do not want to interview you."
Did anyone else throughout the interview season send a letter of interest to interview?

So I sent a letter of interest to interview this morning to Dr. Jones, and I got a very short reply:
"Thanks for the update."
Im assuming this means "no, yungmedap, we do not want to interview you."
Did anyone else throughout the interview season send a letter of interest to interview?

I did. I got the same response and then an interview invite the next Monday. Tough to say if my email made any impact on their decision. That's got to be his standard response because I didn't give any update...

I did. I got the same response and then an interview invite the next Monday. Tough to say if my email made any impact on their decision. That's got to be his standard response because I didn't give any update...

So I actually sent Dr. Jones an email asking a few questions about my app and my competitiveness. The next day I got an II.
I would say that showing interest in the school does help a bit.

So I actually sent Dr. Jones an email asking a few questions about my app and my competitiveness. The next day I got an II.
I would say that showing interest in the school does help a bit.

Damn, that's impressive. Must have been a strong ass email