2021-2022 UT San Antonio (Long)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all, share your news! :hello:
Since Long made almost all their offers via Match I expected a lot more announcements on here today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Matched!!! I was a bundle of nerves the entire drive to work this morning and cried in the parking lot when I saw the results haha. Now to start thinking about apartments...

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I did make a groupme for now, although I feel like there will probably be an official one soon. Message me for the link!

Hey y’all! Matched yesterday morning!! (just made my SDN account right now to share and participate)

Already messaged for the GroupMe link and asked to join the FB page but if there’s anything else to join or check out the next few weeks please let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
For all the current Long students:

A bit generic and very open-ended but - what advice would y’all have for incoming students to Long? Anything unexpected or striking about your initial experience, or something about the school or med school lifestyle that took you a while to figure out?

I matched here as well.

To those who weren’t so lucky on Friday, I’ll say this: it’s not over till it’s over. This is my third year in a row interviewing and applying to Long. Good luck to all of you.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For OOS applicants waiting for a post-match offer, has anyone already heard back this last Friday? The email is hard to gauge when we may hear back:

"The TMDSAS Match for Texas residents happens on Friday, March 4, 2022. We “leave room” for our Out Of State students at that time, and so they may receive an acceptance just after the Match, in the next week or so."

congrats to those that matched! To those that didn’t, I’ve heard PLENTY of stories about people that came off the waitlist, so you still have a good shot!

Reactions: 1 users
For all the current Long students:

A bit generic and very open-ended but - what advice would y’all have for incoming students to Long? Anything unexpected or striking about your initial experience, or something about the school or med school lifestyle that took you a while to figure out?
The first few weeks are going to be a bit jarring when it comes to the amount of material you’re going to be responsible for. It’s extra tough because eventually you figure what they actually care about instead of trying to memorize everything, but most people can’t be convinced to not study something in that first period and that’s alright. Come in ready to sprint and slow down when you feel like it’s right.

But it 100% will slow down for you at some point and then you’re golden! There’s much more of a social/personal life in med school than I expected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several OOS people posted on this thread about acceptances in November
Yes I meant after the match! They sent an email saying we should hear something this week, but I’m not sure if that just applies to those accepted

Does the email today mean they already sent out post-match A’s to OOS? I’m confused

I haven't heard anything yet, but should we really take the email from Dr. K as not getting chosen? It says "Out of State applicants, you were not a participant in the Match, but we will continue to offer acceptances to Out of State applicants throughout the Wait Pool Period also". I'm not sure how to take this email. I'm already going to start the reapplication process but since nobody has posted about being accepted as OOS post-match, I'm holding out hope that it hasn't started. Am I being naive??

I haven't heard anything yet, but should we really take the email from Dr. K as not getting chosen? It says "Out of State applicants, you were not a participant in the Match, but we will continue to offer acceptances to Out of State applicants throughout the Wait Pool Period also". I'm not sure how to take this email. I'm already going to start the reapplication process but since nobody has posted about being accepted as OOS post-match, I'm holding out hope that it hasn't started. Am I being naive??
Sometimes Long sends out WL offers fairly soon after match day, but most of them will happen in April and May.
I haven’t seen anyone announce one so far, but it has only been one week.

If any current student could give insight about life at Long SOM with it not being p/f and if there is a collaborative environment and if students are really happy?

If any current student could give insight about life at Long SOM with it not being p/f and if there is a collaborative environment and if students are really happy?
MS1 here. The grading system isn't really as bad as it sounds because there are no cutoffs on how many people can honor (A). everyone is able to do well if you put the work in and in some modules around 50% of the class will honor.

I honestly prefer having grades compared to hidden internal rankings because it is transparent and lets you know where you stand. Preclinical grades also matter very little to residency applications, but it is kind of nice being able to distinguish yourself academically.

As for collaboration, people share notes and anki decks they make and we bounce ideas off each other, I don't get a cutthroat vibe at all. The faculty are also very nice and helpful.

Most of the classmates I know are genuinely pretty happy here. I'm not saying this just to shill for the school, but the environment/culture of the school is very friendly.

Can any current students give any information on drug screening? There is no mention of one on the next steps website, but according to the UTHSCSA, all health science students have to complete a drug screen.

Current student here answering some questions I saw above.

I am OOS and I didn't get my acceptance until the end of May, and this is when many of my OOS friends were accepted as well. This school in particular seems to be receptive to post-interview communications, so an email to admissions with updates (research, volunteering, shadowing, interest in the program) could be helpful to you if it's substantive.

When I was accepted there was no drug screening process. When you get your VA credentials you will sign a form saying they can drug screen you at any time, but no one I know has ever been screened. Process may have changed but I don't think so.

In terms of grading, it's not cutthroat at all. We had a google doc with all of the learning objective completed by students. Anki deck were passed around as well. For me personally, having pre-clinical grades has only helped me.

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students give any information on drug screening? There is no mention of one on the next steps website, but according to the UTHSCSA, all health science students have to complete a drug screen.
I’ve never been tested and nobody I know ever has been either. You do sign a paper before your ms3 starts that you can be drug tested at any time.

Long hasn’t made their list open to the public yet so you might have to decide without all the info.
How long until they make it public, usually? I have a couple weeks yet. (Drop dead date from TMDSAS is April 30 I believe, but I'd like to decide sooner if possible. I'm shooting for Easter weekend).

Best we’ve got at the moment is a list with ~100 people essentially crowd sourced by the current ms4 class.

If any current student could answer these questions I’d appreciate it:

1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?

2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years

1) Are the exams at the end of each block NBME exams or written by the professor?

2) # of mandatory clinical activities per week e.g. clinic, inpatient rounds, during the preclinical years
In house exams, one mandatory activity every 2 months or so during preclinicals

I have a dumb question.....As I look further into the city of San Antonio, I am finding that there are absolutely no indoor climbing gyms other than at the UTSA campus (unless all you want is bouldering). My question is - while UTHSA and UTSA are separate institutions, I know they have had a number of partnerships and agreements over the years. Does anyone know if UTHSA students can have access to/purchase a non-student membership at the UTSA rec center?

Frank question here: I live in a state where weed is recreationally legal. Can anyone speak to when matriculation drug screenings occur for long?

Frank question here: I live in a state where weed is recreationally legal. Can anyone speak to when matriculation drug screenings occur for long?
We don't have any mandatory ones until (maybe) when we start clinicals

How long until they make it public, usually? I have a couple weeks yet. (Drop dead date from TMDSAS is April 30 I believe, but I'd like to decide sooner if possible. I'm shooting for Easter weekend).
For match purposes, you can watch the video on facebook live ()! I would maybe email Dr. K as well and ask for a list. Someone did this last year, and she was more than happy to share it! Competitive speciality wise, we had
-7 match Derm (Mayo Clinic MS, Tufts, Dell Med, UTSW, UTHSA, Texas Tech, UNC Chapel Hill) and 1 match Derm who didn't match last year (McGovern), so 8 Derms total,
-Ortho: 8?
-Path (2)
-Urology (5?)

This is just a sneak peak because its off the top of my head and none of us have an actual list, but it gives you an idea sort of. I feel like this year we matched to really great places!! Also for the match day video, not everyone attended and participated so its not representative. I will post if we ever get a list as well.

1. By the professor. They do at least try to make the questions similar to Step though (clinical vignettes, etc.)

2. The only mandatory clinical activity during preclinical is a monthly-ish visit with a longitudinal preceptor assigned to you at random. The experience can be pretty varied based on the doctor / specialty you're assigned. For example, mine was a pediatric heme-onc doctor and I learned a lot interviewing and presenting a couple patients every month. Some of my friends had less stellar experiences becuase they were less interested in the fields they were assigned to (FM, EM, etc.). Beyond that though, there are other mandatory "clinical skills" activities that happen maybe once a week or so (SP cases, skills labs, OSCEs, etc.).

Any OOS hear anything back/get accepted recently? Feeling like it's a no for me.

I have a dumb question.....As I look further into the city of San Antonio, I am finding that there are absolutely no indoor climbing gyms other than at the UTSA campus (unless all you want is bouldering). My question is - while UTHSA and UTSA are separate institutions, I know they have had a number of partnerships and agreements over the years. Does anyone know if UTHSA students can have access to/purchase a non-student membership at the UTSA rec center?
There's the district, armadillo boulder, etc

There's the district, armadillo boulder, etc
Right, so those are bouldering gyms and the “etc” is Lifetime fitness (expensive and limited) and the UTSA rec center….there is not a dedicated climbing gym (as in top rope) in SA.

Right, so those are bouldering gyms and the “etc” is Lifetime fitness (expensive and limited) and the UTSA rec center….there is not a dedicated climbing gym (as in top rope) in SA.
If you're open to outdoor sport climbing, there's Medicine Wall with ~60 routes!

Does anyone know for how long Long considers students off the waitlist? I am considering sending an LOI, but I had already sent a letter in March and I am unsure if it would be worth it to send another update on my activities since then. Also, I have an acceptance at another school, but I would like to go to Long if possible. Would it be a bad idea to mention this in the update?