2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whooo, bringing this thread back to the front. This school is tied for my dream school and I was happy to of received an email from them.

Thank you for your application to the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio. At this time, your application for the 2014 entering class has been received.

If you are selected for an interview, you will receive notification via email at the email address listed on your TMDSAS application. Interviews will begin on Monday, August 12, 2013 and will occur every Monday through December 2013.

Unfortunately, our office cannot provide additional application status information over the phone or via email. Since our process is completely electronic and dependent upon communication from the TMDSAS, any updates should be sent to the TMDSAS.

For the most up to date and current information regarding interviews, please refer to our website at http://som.uthscsa.edu/Admissions/

If you have additional questions not answered by our website, please contact the Office of Admissions via email at [email protected].

University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio Office of Admissions

I know they don't have all my information yet. I don't get my mcat score back till next week. The funny thing is that I thought the email *ding* sound meant that aamc approved me to get the $30 for participating in the trial section. But this makes me just as happy even through it kinda truly means nothing. Did anyone receive one as well. Good luck to all applying :D

I got that email today too.

Its my first real correspondence of the cycle and UT-SA is one of my top choices!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whooo, bringing this thread back to the front. This school is tied for my dream school and I was happy to of received an email from them.

I know they don't have all my information yet. I don't get my mcat score back till next week. The funny thing is that I thought the email *ding* sound meant that aamc approved me to get the $30 for participating in the trial section. But this makes me just as happy even through it kinda truly means nothing. Did anyone receive one as well. Good luck to all applying :D

Do you know when they start sending out interview invites?

I checked last year's thread and people didn't start getting confirmation emails (or at least they didn't mention them) until the last week of June.

They must be starting early this year.

I got that email too, pretty exciting. Just curious, when did ya'll submit?

I submitted mine the day it opened 5/1. They sent it to the schools 5/2. Peppered between then and the first half of may they received the rest of the application. Except my mcat score. Others?

Its my first real correspondence of the cycle and UT-SA is one of my top choices!

The medical school in San Antonio is actually UTHSCSA (they pronounce it like u-test-ka). UTSA is the undergrad university :) Just a little fyi!

The medical school in San Antonio is actually UTHSCSA (they pronounce it like u-test-ka). UTSA is the undergrad university :) Just a little fyi!

I know. But being from Houston, I've heard references to UTSA for such a long time, that it is just easier to keep referring to it that way. Also, I'm not going to switch to the longer acronym because that has too many letters.

Do you know when they start sending out interview invites?

In the email, I believe that it mentioned they start their first round of interviews in August so it makes sense that they would send it a couple of weeks to a month prior to that.

Early July is my best bet.

Did anyone also receive an email from UTSW?

In the email, I believe that it mentioned they start their first round of interviews in August so it makes sense that they would send it a couple of weeks to a month prior to that.

Early July is my best bet.

Did anyone also receive an email from UTSW?

I received one from San Antonio and from Southwestern. This is going to be a long summer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received one from San Antonio and from Southwestern. This is going to be a long summer!

Haha yea this will be the first year I actually get an interview. (I'm a reapplicant)

Hope this schools shows me some love

I got the email from San Antonio today, but not from southwestern. I'm a reapplicant

One of my top schools, for sure. Good luck everyone

I also got the confirmation email from San Antonio today, but have yet to receive one from Southwestern. I submitted 5/31 and was confirmed yesterday (6/5). It seemed like last year they didn't start sending out confirmation emails until the first week of July, so hopefully the II's will come out sooner! Here's to hoping! (OOS)

I also got the confirmation email from San Antonio today, but have yet to receive one from Southwestern. I submitted 5/31 and was confirmed yesterday (6/5). It seemed like last year they didn't start sending out confirmation emails until the first week of July, so hopefully the II's will come out sooner! Here's to hoping! (OOS)

I think OOS invites tend to go out first, that way they focus on filling the remaining seats with mostly IS candidates.

Finally got my confirmation email! C'mon interviews!!!

Reapplicant here, too. Retaking the MCAT tomorrow and hoping for more than 1 interview this year! I think a good, solid 5 interviews sounds nice :)

Finally got my confirmation email! C'mon interviews!!!

Reapplicant here, too. Retaking the MCAT tomorrow and hoping for more than 1 interview this year! I think a good, solid 5 interviews sounds nice :)

I still haven't received a confirmation email from UTHSCSA. In fact, the only one that's actually sent me anything has been UTSW. When did you submit? My app, transcripts, and recs we're all received on/before 5/22 and everything is clear on TMDSAS. :confused:

I still haven't received a confirmation email from UTHSCSA. In fact, the only one that's actually sent me anything has been UTSW. When did you submit? My app, transcripts, and recs we're all received on/before 5/22 and everything is clear on TMDSAS. :confused:

Hmmm...Are you checking your spam folder? TMDSAS transmitted my app on 6-17. I've gotten an email from every school except Houston, A&M (don't think A&M sends emails), and El Paso (haven't finished El Paso's secondary).

Hmmm...Are you checking your spam folder? TMDSAS transmitted my app on 6-17. I've gotten an email from every school except Houston, A&M (don't think A&M sends emails), and El Paso (haven't finished El Paso's secondary).

you got one from Lubbock and TCOM?

you got one from Lubbock and TCOM?

No, my mistake, I did not get one from Lubbock. I was counting the portal page email from TCOM as a confirmation, too. Sorry, guys, I did a quick search through my inbox before posting...

Edit: Actually, I did get a confirmation from TCOM after submitting my secondary.

Last edited:
Is San Antonio still under academic probation? I toured the school last month and the tour guide said that someone is going to "check up" on the school soon but other than that I didn't really get a concrete answer. I'm assuming that's a yes?

No they are no longer on probation according to a friend that was accepted this year

GO SPURS GO!! I would love to go to San Antonio :)

basscatcher73: You stats look good to me. Idk how true this is, but I have read that San Antonio is emphasizing heavily on research after the probation. If that is the case, your research experience will be very helpful. Maybe work really hard this year to improve your grades? That's the only negative that really stood out to me. Best of luck :)

"Dear Chillbo Baggins,

Thank you for your application to the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio. At this time, your application for the 2014 entering class has been received."

I got excited thinking it was II #1. Nope, Chuck Testa.

Congrats, plumazul!

MD/PhD programs for TX schools are through AMCAS, right? Have any straight MD II gone out yet for UTHSCSA?

Congrats, plumazul!

MD/PhD programs for TX schools are through AMCAS, right? Have any straight MD II gone out yet for UTHSCSA?

I don't think so.
MD/PhDs are usually interviewed early as well. I'm sure regular interviews will start latest by next week. Their first II is August 8 I think.... Which us creeping up fast

Hey guys,

I just called the admissions office and they said that they will start sending out invitations on the second week of August up until the second week of December.

Hope this helps calms some of the anxiety we are all experiencing.... :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I just called the admissions office and they said that they will start sending out invitations on the second week of August up until the second week of December.

Snap! Way later than last year. Thanks for the heads up!

Hey guys,

The confirmation email I got said that interviews begin on August 12, are you sure she didn't mean that they will send out interviews for the second week of August?

The confirmation email I got said that interviews begin on August 12, are you sure she didn't mean that they will send out interviews for the second week of August?

Yeah I agree with this...I think that's what she meant

Thank you for bringing that up. I called again and you are right, the lady thought I was asking about actual interviews. So to clear the confusion:

-Interview invitees are already being sent out. I double checked this.

-The first interview date is August 12 and they Erin until the second week of December.

Sorry everyone...

Has anyone received and MD IIs or has it only been MD/PhD up to this point?

Has anyone received and MD IIs or has it only been MD/PhD up to this point?

Probably just the MD/PhD. I would find it hard to believe that MD II's have been sent out with noone on SDN receiving one knowing that the SDN population > average.

I saw someone say one time that SDN is the 1% of pre-meds. It's funny cause it's true.

It is but that's because most of SDN pre meds are more motivated to do well, why else would they be browsing a pre med forum! SDN is an amazing resource though, but it has its problems (such as seeing others get interviews when you submitted before their date and thinking the committee threw your app away) :laugh:

still haven't heard anything from them yet about interviews :/

I saw someone say one time that SDN is the 1% of pre-meds. It's funny cause it's true.

This is both true and also false.

It is true that only a very small percentage of pre-meds use SDN.

However, judging by the average GPA/MCAT scores of the accepted students of matriculants, the students that do not use SDN have similar scores.

Going to my friends white cost ceremony this morning at this school! I really hope to get in here, San Antonio is a pretty cool city