2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called on behalf of a friend to see if they were still sending out invites, and it looks like they're done. She said the committee hasn't indicated that any more II will be sent, but if people cancel (which happens if a student pre-matches at a school they would rather go to), then a few more invites may be sent.

Members don't see this ad.

I called on behalf of a friend to see if they were still sending out invites, and it looks like they're done. She said the committee hasn't indicated that any more II will be sent, but if people cancel (which happens if a student pre-matches at a school they would rather go to), then a few more invites may be sent.
Well thats exactly what i dont want to hear. Looks like my hope is based on cancellations!
I must say, people do always cancel though. I believe last years thread had a few people receiving ii in jan (due to cancellations of course).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote a short letter of interest and a short update and got a single word reply and haven't heard since. I thought I was competitive here but apparently not. Oh well who knows how they decide sometimes.

I wrote a short letter of interest and a short update and got a single word reply and haven't heard since. I thought I was competitive here but apparently not. Oh well who knows how they decide sometimes.
If you dont mind me asking, what was the single word reply? Did you email Dr. Jones, or someone else? A four word reply isnt much better that a single word reply i would think...

If you dont mind me asking, what was the single word reply? Did you email Dr. Jones, or someone else? A four word reply isnt much better that a single word reply i would think...

Original Message: I love this school. I am qualified. I will be a great physician and I can't think of a better place than this school. Please give me the chance to interview.

Dr. Jones: Lol.

Reactions: 3 users

"thanks". I explained my interest in San Antonio as a native of south texas and also explained my new volunteer position. I also emailed at the beginning of the cycle to ask if my app was received because I never got confirmation and it was simply ignored. So far my contact here was been pretty subpar as you can tell.

He didnt even capitalize the 't'? Wow i dont known then.
Maybe
thanks= we dont want you
and
Thanks for the update.= we will send you an ii asap

Just an attempt to analyze Dr. Jones responses for future generations.
Anyone else who contacted him care to weigh in?

I actually contacted him 3 times with various updates/interest from September to November. Even if there wasn't an update, he always replied "Thanks for the update." Yet no invite from them nonetheless...

I actually contacted him 3 times with various updates/interest from September to November. Even if there wasn't an update, he always replied "Thanks for the update." Yet no invite from them nonetheless...
Well there goes that theory...

Sent an update letter and received the "Thanks for the update" reply. About a week later received an ii. Interviewed 12/17.

I sent an update letter in October and got a "Thanks for this update." No II. I sent another letter this morning and have not received a response...

Members don't see this ad :)
It was around 9 am. Maybe he just doesn't like me. Or, On a more positive note, hopefully my next form of contact will be an II! It's my all-time top choice and I'm dying for an interview invite!

It was around 9 am. Maybe he just doesn't like me. Or, On a more positive note, hopefully my next form of contact will be an II! It's my all-time top choice and I'm dying for an interview invite!
We are banking on cancellations i think. Which are bound to happen. We just have to patient and get lucky!
But it still doesnt make sense why he would not respond to you.

Accepted! I'm a SA native and UTHSCSA is my top choice so I'm incredibly excited!

Interviewed 12/2, 3.6/27, URM

Reactions: 2 users
I didnt give an update either. I am assuming that there are still interview seats available (otherwise he could have just told me they have no more ii to give) and my name has been thrown into the bucket of students to be reviewed for the last interviews.
When did you send the email? What was the interview date they gave you?
I ask because it might just be too late for me.
Oh, it was mid September and the first date available at that time was the beginning of November.

Damn, that's impressive. Must have been a strong ass email
I think it was probably just coincidence.

Did he reply to your questions in detail? Or did he give his standard response "Thanks for the update."?
Maybe i should have asked him questions instead of reinstating myinterest...
No response, just the II

yungmedap, what are you doing?

He didnt even capitalize the 't'? Wow i dont known then.
Maybe
thanks= we dont want you
and
Thanks for the update.= we will send you an ii asap

Just an attempt to analyze Dr. Jones responses for future generations.
Anyone else who contacted him care to weigh in?

yungmedap, STAHP.

On a serious note, dont waste your time analyzing one word or the capitalization of a letter to assume whether or not you will get an interview.
Dr. Jones is a person not a robot. I doubt giving different replies to students constitues anything other than normal human behavior.

Just out of curiosity, where have you interviewed yungmedap?

I think it was probably just coincidence.

No response, just the II

yungmedap, what are you doing?

yungmedap, STAHP.

On a serious note, dont waste your time analyzing one word or the capitalization of a letter to assume whether or not you will get an interview.
Dr. Jones is a person not a robot. I doubt giving different replies to students constitues anything other than normal human behavior.

Just out of curiosity, where have you interviewed yungmedap?
UTSW
UTMB
UTH
TTL
Only applied to tmdsas schools. Shouldve applied to BCM, just thought my mcat was too low.
And as you pointed out, i clearly overanalyzed his replies. Quite foolish of me. But whatever.

I'm sure it hasn't been easy for anyone on the thread! Happy holidays, as applicable!

Accepted! I'm a SA native and UTHSCSA is my top choice so I'm incredibly excited!

Interviewed 12/2, 3.6/27, URM
Congrats! I'm happy for you and nervous about mine. I thought my intervire at UTHSCSA went very well. One ofmy interviewers kept saying how much she liked our talk. Above avg stats. Hope for the match
Happy holiday everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
if only it were that easy for all of us
Ouch. This process has been quite the opposite, actually! But it's cool, judge me based on 2 lines that I posted on this thread.

Congrats! I'm happy for you and nervous about mine. I thought my intervire at UTHSCSA went very well. One ofmy interviewers kept saying how much she liked our talk. Above avg stats. Hope for the match
Happy holiday everyone.
Thank you!! And good luck! I hope you hear some good news soon!

Ouch. This process has been quite the opposite, actually! But it's cool, judge me based on 2 lines that I posted on this thread.

Don't look too far into that comment; Waco is probably just a SA native with UTHSCSA as their top school - like yourself - who has yet to hear good news. You alluded that this application process was tough for you, so you can at least relate to Waco's application stress/panic that unfortunately reflects as envy of your good fortune. Take it as a compliment lol Congratulations to you, future doctor!

Happy holiday everyone.

^^Yep, I felt like a champ walking out of my interviews; it was like Hunger Games and Caesar Flickerman was my interviewer. But in this version, when I try and contact admissions to volunteer as tribute, they're just not having it. Nonetheless, I'm blessed to have made it this far. Merry Christmas to all!

Reactions: 1 users
May the odds be ever in our favor...happy holidays everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED TODAY!!
Interviewed Dec 2nd.
3.67 total GPA 29 MCAT

Accepted today!
Interview 8/12
3.97 and 35

Accepted on 12/31! Interviewed Dec 2!

3.6/30,

Does anyone know if everyone gets a follow-up email from Dr. Jones after their interview?

Does anyone know if everyone gets a follow-up email from Dr. Jones after their interview?
yes. I got a follow up email and a survey two days after my interview. if you didn't get one, just be patient. I'm sure you will get one later this week.

Anybody know if there is some sort of technology bundle first years get?

has anyone received their acceptance letter in the mail? If so, how long did it take for you to receive it after receiving the email?

Thanks in advance

has anyone received their acceptance letter in the mail? If so, how long did it take for you to receive it after receiving the email?

Thanks in advance

Got mine yesterday. Accepted on Dec 31st.

got the pre-interview rejection email today...OOS.....I did interview at UTSW back in Sept. last year.
Do you have any idea when UTSW will send final email for OOS?

All of the other Texas school threads are very active, but no one here. Did no one match?

Me too! I ranked this school first but did not match here, but I am still extremely happy that I matched somewhere.

Incredibly happy to have matched somewhere! But still holding out a shred of hope since this was my #1. Does anyone know how San Antonio does waitlists?

Incredibly happy to have matched somewhere! But still holding out a shred of hope since this was my #1. Does anyone know how San Antonio does waitlists?

I'm also holding out hope! I own a house here and my husband has a steady job here so I really, really hope I get in off the waitlist or rolling admissions! Not to mention that I loved my interview and the whole day. From other threads, it looks like they email the waitlist out within a few weeks...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to congratulate those of y'all who matched to UTHSCSA today. I'm a current MS1 and I probably met most of y'all on your interview day during lunch. I'm also in charge of your welcome weekend (Feb 21-22), and I HIGHLY recommend that everyone goes. It's a great opportunity to get to meet your fellow classmates for the first time!

If you have any questions about UTHSCSA or welcome weekend, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions y'all might have.

Also, here is the facebook page for the UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2018: https://www.facebook.com/groups/668438346550461/

Y'all will quickly learn that this facebook groups is invaluable!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to congratulate those of y'all who matched to UTHSCSA today. I'm a current MS1 and I probably met most of y'all on your interview day during lunch. I'm also in charge of your welcome weekend (Feb 21-22), and I HIGHLY recommend that everyone goes. It's a great opportunity to get to meet your fellow classmates for the first time!

If you have any questions about UTHSCSA or welcome weekend, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions y'all might have.

Also, here is the facebook page for the UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2018: https://www.facebook.com/groups/668438346550461/

Y'all will quickly learn that this facebook groups is invaluable!

Woohoo! I matched today (pre-matched in November...so not surprised because this is my #1 :D ). Quick question: I'm deciding between UTHSCSA and an out of state school. Can I still join the Facebook group for updates or is that considered a no-no? Thanks for the information!

Super excited for welcome weekend!! Can't wait to meet all my fellow members of '18. :) Congratulations everyone!!