2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If i remember correctly, i never receieved a formal rejection last year. I emailed and inquired about my status and was told i wasn't selected for the alternate list.

Okay, thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if or when UTHSCSA sends out rejections to those who interviewed but are not getting waitlisted (therefore not getting accepted)? Thanks!

They do send out formal rejections if they aren't putting you on their waitlist, or at least they have in the past.

I called them, so here's an update: about 100 people are on the alternate list. My guess is maybe 5 get in, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, here is what my email said:

Dear dilpot,

On behalf of the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio I want to thank you for interviewing with us. The entering class of 2014 is currently filled and unfortunately it was not possible to offer you an acceptance. However, between now and the start date, July 21, 2014, you may become eligible for admission to the program as a result of one or more of our accepted applicants withdrawing to pursue other plans. Unless you ask us to do otherwise, your name will automatically be placed in our alternate pool of applicants from which students are selected by the Admissions Committee should a position become available. Should you not want to be included in the alternate pool or at any time you are accepted at a higher choice school, I would ask that you please inform us by email at [email protected].

Each year the committee selects between 10 and 30 students from the pool prior to the start date. Please note that it is a pool from which the committee selects, and not a ranked list. It is absolutely essential that you notify us of any changes in your email address or phone number. All correspondence will take place via email, and a follow-up phone call if you do not respond within 48 hours. Thereafter you will have 7 days to let us know your decision. In order to expeditiously maintain a full class, from June 15 to July 20, you will have 48 hours to both respond and provide a decision. If you have either coursework or MCAT score updates you can forward directly to me prior to the start of classes.

I wish you success in your medical school application. Best wishes, Dr. J.

David J. Jones, Ph.D.

Senior Associate Dean for Admissions

So between 10 and 30.

I called them, so here's an update: about 100 people are on the alternate list. My guess is maybe 5 get in, right?
Wow, 100 seems like a sizable portion of candidates. The odds don't seem too favorable. Did they say anything else, such as give more detail on how they choose who they take off the wait list? I imagine the entire committee standing around a giant top hat with all the wait list candidate names in it.

Does anyone know how the process works for OOS? Are they also included on the alternate list or is there a separate rolling admissions / timeline for OOS applicants?

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, 100 seems like a sizable portion of candidates. The odds don't seem too favorable. Did they say anything else, such as give more detail on how they choose who they take off the wait list? I imagine the entire committee standing around a giant top hat with all the wait list candidate names in it.

She said it wasn't ranked. So yeah, pretty much random I guess?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really doubt it's random. There's a reason that the waitlist is unranked at this school and others.

Assume that at the moment, the class of 2018 is about 60% male and 40% female, and 75% White and 25% non-White (like their last class was based on the MSAR). Now let's say that the alternate list has a similar distribution. If they ranked the alternate list, there's a small possibility that just based on the quality of the applicants that the waitlisted applicants ranked 1-60 are males, 61-100 are females. In addition, 1-75 are White, and 76-100 are non-White.

Say UTHSCSA ends up freeing up 50 spots, or about 25% of their class, probably through students going OOS or the domino effect from when BCM accepts the rest of their class. For some reason the students who left were, for the majority, non-White females. Now they automatically accept the top 50 applicants from the ranked waitlist, except that this gives them the new class demographic of 85% male, 15% female, and 100% Caucasian, which doesn't look very diverse or good on paper considering they are a public school. However, with an unranked alternate list, the school would have been able to accept waitlisted students with demographic factors in mind and avoid this situation.

The above is obviously an extreme example and doesn't only apply to things like ethnicity or gender. The school probably also doesn't want to end up graduating a class of 2018 where 80% of the students go into academics or surgery, or to end up having a class that is made up completely of 21 and 22 year olds fresh out of college. The admissions committee spent a lot of time choosing the students they accepted, and even though the match process itself might have screwed up their "ideal" class makeup, this is a way for them to have a little more control over what happens now.

I didn't think about this - I knew it wasn't ranked, so assumed it was random. Your logic sounds a lot better

Agenda:
1) make friends with someone of the same gender and race
2) talk them into being an astronaut instead of a doctor
3) ?????
4) profit

Reactions: 3 users
Called in the other day, and the admissions person said they are still working on it and to call back next week. Fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
The above is obviously an extreme example and doesn't only apply to things like ethnicity or gender. The school probably also doesn't want to end up graduating a class of 2018 where 80% of the students go into academics or surgery, or to end up having a class that is made up completely of 21 and 22 year olds fresh out of college. The admissions committee spent a lot of time choosing the students they accepted, and even though the match process itself might have screwed up their "ideal" class makeup, this is a way for them to have a little more control over what happens now.
Is this an accurate hypothetical example of what actually takes place at UTHSCSA, or your own assumption? I also have my doubts about this being a "random" process, but what you described is the absolute opposite of random - it's cherry picking to meet a diversity quota.

Last edited:
It's an assumption based on what other schools with unranked waitlists do. Why don't you email the UTHSCSA admissions office and ask them about their process?
I didn't email, I called a few days ago, and the explanation I got was basically Dr. Jones's wait list email re-worded. I thought you might have had better luck than me at receiving a clear explanation.

Same here guys, but there is still next year!

I haven't heard anything yet. Post-interview and OOS

I haven't heard anything yet. Post-interview and OOS

I'm OOS. I emailed Dr. Jones and he said that all interviewed OOS students stay on the alternate list but they currently have too many OOS so he's "not optimistic". so I'm going to go ahead and assume that's a no...

Last edited:
If there are 100 people on the alternate list and Dr. Jones says he keeps most OOS students on that list, wouldn't that mean only a small number are IS?

Logic would suggest that there is a "real" is waitlist that actually moves and then a separate oos waitlist that probably doesn't move much.

Cute video from UTHSCSA 4th years waiting for match!

Cute video from UTHSCSA 4th years waiting for match!

Ellen has no interest in coming to the armpit of Texas to visit some low-tier medschool. She takes selfies with celebs and has a Portia in her garage.

So, I am OOS and interviewed in November. Have yet to hear anything back, but have been in contact with the admissions office (thank yous and LOI). Is it unusual that I haven't heard back? Should I assume a rejection? I have contacted the school regarding my status and am waiting for their reply. Anyone have an idea of how this whole process works? I am just anxious to hear back, as UTHSCSA is my first choice. I have some other options, but would love to end up here!

Does anyone know why UTHSCSA fell out of the USNWR rankings? Last year they were 68; this year, they're not in the top 100. Why?

Ellen has no interest in coming to the armpit of Texas to visit some low-tier medschool. She takes selfies with celebs and has a Portia in her garage.

This guy doesn't know what a Porsche is. Or does he or she mean Ellen's wife? Hopefully she's not in the garage for too long!

Regardless... OOS and just got rejected today post-interview. Woohoo!

Yeah, me too, oos rejected yesterday. Given the statutory 10%, though, not surprised. Good luck, everyone!

Does anyone know why UTHSCSA fell out of the USNWR rankings? Last year they were 68; this year, they're not in the top 100. Why?
Perhaps because of its temporary probationary status? Also, isn't Unranked different from Rank Not Published?

...So much anger.

My condolences to those who received rejections this past week. For those of you without additional med school offers you can turn to, I'm not sure if the cliche "there's always next year, keep your head up" will do you any justice. But hell, there's always next year so keep your head up. Don't give up on your dream.

I know most wait list movement doesn't happen til May yet I have still been checking my email 3+ times a day. This suspense is terrible.

I have yet to receive an email about being on the waitlist or being rejected as an OOS so is no news still good news at this point?

Hey for those who got that email about the coursework verification. Have you sent in official transcripts to UTHSCSA?

Hey for those who got that email about the coursework verification. Have you sent in official transcripts to UTHSCSA?
I did, and I had already sent my transcript. I think this email is a reminder sent to everyone?

I did, and I had already sent my transcript. I think this email is a reminder sent to everyone?

Did I miss the memo that I was suppose to send in my transcripts? I missed welcome weekend. Anything else I should be doing right now? I filled out my FAFSA.

Did I miss the memo that I was suppose to send in my transcripts? I missed welcome weekend. Anything else I should be doing right now? I filled out my FAFSA.
lol trust me I have no idea, I'm not even totally committed here yet and definitely haven't filled out fafsa or any of that. I missed welcome weekend because of another interview and so I called them afterwards to see what I missed. the lady mailed me a packet of info that was handed out during welcome weekend and told me to send a transcript soon. you can call them and see what they tell you... it's still early though so don't worry!

Thinking about getting an iPad for next year. Seems like a lot of the students have tablets to take notes, access textbooks/powerpoints, etc. Will the basic 16GB storage be sufficient or do current students recommend upgrading?

Im so excited to meet all of you in the class of 2018. Currently, I am living in Utah. So if there are any of you in utah right now, please PM me.

Bump! No updates at all from anyone?? I really hope we get some movement after May 15 but it's looking slim.

What makes you say it's looking slim?

I mean there has been only 1 person in this thread so far that has confirmed acceptance off the wait list. I assumed there would be a lot of movement this late in April. BUT it might be A) other accepted wait listed applicants are not sdn members or B) other wait listed applicants prefer not to humble brag.

I honestly have zero knowledge on wait lists though so don't take my opinions to heart...

I mean there has been only 1 person in this thread so far that has confirmed acceptance off the wait list. I assumed there would be a lot of movement this late in April. BUT it might be A) other accepted wait listed applicants are not sdn members or B) other wait listed applicants prefer not to humble brag.

I honestly have zero knowledge on wait lists though so don't take my opinions to heart...

pray I get into UTH or Baylor and you can have my UTHSCSA spot lol (all my family is in Houston and I really don't want to leave :(
I honestly don't know where the movement is happening. for in state people the last day to get an offer is June 1, which is a Sunday ... so I'm guessing May 30, that Friday, is the absolute last day? do you guys really think it goes till that long, does anyone have any experience hearing of people getting off the lists that late?
I also thought there would be some kind of domino effect where BCM would accept people who would then drop their other offers but idk I don't see this anywhere either.
:(

Last year no one posted about getting off the WL at UTHSCSA until into May.

Waitlist movement will happen in May at all of the Texas schools, don't worry. Thins year isn't any different haha, you just have to be patient. The domino effect is very real.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who matched at UTHSCSA!!

I graduated last year and am currently finishing my intern year in General Surgery at the University of Vermont. I still have a condo within a mile to UTHSCSA that I am looking to rent out.

It's 1200 sq feet in a gated community with 2 bedroom, 2 bath and covered parking. Stainless steel appliances, marble countertops, wet bar, high end washer and dryer, plantation shutters and pool. Walking distance from UTHSCSA. $1200 a month, free cable, all utilities paid accept for electricity.

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4na4bax8egp2m9/uNQKYNe7CG

Please message me if interested!

Accepted off the WL 25 mins ago. Estatic, as this is my first choice and I haven't been accepted anywhere. This is my third year applying and I was resigned to another year.

Interviewed 8/27/13, MCAT 35, sGPA 3.4

Reactions: 5 users
I hope this isn't a double post, but...

Accepted off the WL at 3 pm today! This is my year 2nd applying, and I had already completed the one for next year. Almost certainly accepting.

For those interested:
Interviewed 08/2013, MCAT 35, sGPA 3.4 (chemical engineering)