2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this is an obvious question but is today, May 15th, an important day in regards to those who are still wait listed? I keep seeing that date for out of state medical schools but I can't find anything for Texas. Can anyone be kind enough to elaborate for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but is today, May 15th, an important day in regards to those who are still wait listed? I keep seeing that date for out of state medical schools but I can't find anything for Texas. Can anyone be kind enough to elaborate for me?
Someone posted the exact phrase from TMDSAS:
Here's the exact wording from TMDSAS:
"Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.

After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas. This is the result of an agreement between the four UT System Medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M Health Science Center College of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, and University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth College of Osteopathic Medicine."
So, 15 May is the deadline for people who hold more than one spot to choose their school, and after 1 June, no school can extend offers to students who already accepted by another school.

Because of these two circumstances, the wait list moves very rapidly over the summer. Good luck, hope that helps!

Matriculating here and I have a question for current students or anyone who knows the answer. Is the gym "free" for students? I noticed that they have one right in the medical center and I was wondering what you guys think of its quality. Mostly interested in how many squat/power racks they have and if they allow heavy deadlifting. Thanks and I look forward to meeting anyone else who's matriculating!

Members don't see this ad :)
Matriculating here and I have a question for current students or anyone who knows the answer. Is the gym "free" for students? I noticed that they have one right in the medical center and I was wondering what you guys think of its quality. Mostly interested in how many squat/power racks they have and if they allow heavy deadlifting. Thanks and I look forward to meeting anyone else who's matriculating!
I believe, though I'm not 100% sure, that the cost is taken directly out of your tuition or fees. The gym itself isn't bad. It's a Gold's Gym (Ruby Level). I think they only have 2 squat racks (I stopped going there awhile back), they do allow heavy deadlifting (or rather I should say they've never said anything to me or anyone else I've seen doing them).

Honestly though, if you are serious into lifting, I'd find a gym more aligned with that setup or mentality. They have more machines at that Gold's than free weights, and target that clientele instead of heavier/more serious lifters. All in all not a bad gym though, and you cannot beat the convenience of having it 5 minutes walking distance from the school.

Withdrew this afternoon, good luck to those on the waitlist! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Any chance there will start to be movement on Monday, even though it's Memorial Day?

I am as hopeful as you are that it would start to move, but Memorial day is a national holiday, and San Antonio is a pretty big military town.

Does anyone know where the parking for motorcycles is on campus? I can't find any information on it online.

Does anyone know where the parking for motorcycles is on campus? I can't find any information on it online.
See pages 31 and 32 of THIS LINK. If the map is unclear (which if you are new it likely is), I'll just tell you that there are several motorcycle areas all very close to the school. They are usually sectioned off areas of the closer parking zones. If you have a space in the garage I think you can park there as well.

Edit: After looking at it more closely, just search the pdf for "MC" as it will show you all the relevant spaces.

Congrats and welcome!

See pages 31 and 32 of THIS LINK. If the map is unclear (which if you are new it likely is), I'll just tell you that there are several motorcycle areas all very close to the school. They are usually sectioned off areas of the closer parking zones. If you have a space in the garage I think you can park there as well.

Edit: After looking at it more closely, just search the pdf for "MC" as it will show you all the relevant spaces.

Congrats and welcome!

Excellent information. Thank you very much!

Accepted off the waitlist today as an OS student. I need to think for a bit about whether I'm going to take the acceptance over the school I've been planning on attending, but I really liked UTHSCSA when I interviewed. Glad that I get to make a choice though.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off the waitlist this morning to the clinical Ed campus for 3rd year. Will be withdrawing at ttuhsc. 3.36 ugpa, 4.0 ggpa, 38 MCAT. Very very happy.

I need to withdraw my acceptance here. Does anyone know the best way to do that? Who do I email/call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Will you let us know what you decide? That way we can know whether another spot opens up or not. On another note, since they're accepting OOS applicants, I wonder if thats a bad sign for us in-staters. SO STRESSFUL.
Yeah, I'll definitely let you guys know. It really is no fun waiting to hear from these schools when you have zero information to go off of (this acceptance was the first time that I've heard anything from the school since my interview in August, and I was really not planning on hearing from them.) For what it's worth, I was under the impression that in-state and out-of-state were treated as two separate pools, so I don't think my acceptance will have any negative effect on your chances.

Last edited:
I just withdrew today, so hopefully that means good news for someone soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the WL yesterday!!! This is my #1 school, so I am so excited!

Accepted off the waitlist today!! BEYOND THRILLED!!!

Reactions: 2 users
I called last Wednesday and they said spots were still available! I believe these next 2 weeks are crunch time though

You've braver than me haha. Did they give you any more info? Or just that there were still spots?
Yeah, just that there were more spots; no added info really. The lady I talked to was really nice but pretty vague. She just said something along the lines of: "We are still accepting applicants... The committee meets to discuss new acceptancees in accordance with wait list fluctuance... Our wait list pool changes every 1-2 weeks... These next 2 weeks we will still be accepting people off the wait list."

But she was unable to answer specifics (i.e., How full is the class currently? How many people do you accept each week? How exactly are people accepted since the wait list is not ranked? Will you still be accepting into July? Does my stress level ever improve, or just keep increasing?).

I guess we just gotta hang in there.

So this week is do or die I guess...
Not necessarily; my previous post about my call to their offices was off of the outlook 2 weeks ago. Something good could have happened last week and freed up even more spots (or something bad could have happened and there are even less spots/no spots... or nothing could have happened and there are the same amount of spots).

I'm so confused.

So, yeah, keep your head up... but it's probably best you start the re-app if you haven't already.

Have you been calling admissions? Have you emailed Dr. Jones? How far are you from SA, have you gone down there in person and asked to speak with admissions reps about the status of your wait list? How many update emails have you sent to Dr. Jones?

Don't just sit there, my friend. You have to show them you're persistent and willing to go the extra mile to get noticed. If it doesn't do anything to get you accepted this time around, they will definitely remember your name for this current cycle.

Did you get off the waitlist??
Yes, I was accepted yesterday.

I did basically what I recommended you should do in my previous post. I've been calling Admissions on a weekly basis for the past 2 months, beginning and ending each call with a mention of my name and expression of my gratitude for being given the wait list opprortunity. My interviews went very well, and I have kept consistent contact with my interviewers via email. And, like you, I also sent in updated recommendation letters.

From my experience: getting an interview at San Antonio is based off of essays/MCAT/GPA; getting accepted off a wait list at San Antonio is based off of how persistent you are at convincing them you are an accurate reflection of their mission statement.

Congrats! I would be calling, but I am afraid that if I receive bad news for some reason, then I will be distracted from my MCAT. This is the last time I will be able to take it, since I already took it twice last year and obviously can't afford to mess it up. I thought my persistence and dedication would have shown through everything I sent them.
Thanks. I'm really happy and ready to get back to hitting the books.

Good plan - focus on your MCAT right now. Don't think about wait lists and applications right now. Contact me after if you want/need any help. Good luck, bud!

Accepted off the WL 25 mins ago. Estatic, as this is my first choice and I haven't been accepted anywhere. This is my third year applying and I was resigned to another year.

Interviewed 8/27/13, MCAT 35, sGPA 3.4
Hi,
I am in the same predicament, waitlisted. I was wondering if you submitted any letters or updates while waiting? Thanks a ton!