2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woohoo! I matched today (pre-matched in November...so not surprised because this is my #1 :D ). Quick question: I'm deciding between UTHSCSA and an out of state school. Can I still join the Facebook group for updates or is that considered a no-no? Thanks for the information!

Super excited for welcome weekend!! Can't wait to meet all my fellow members of '18. :) Congratulations everyone!!

Yes, you can still join the facebook group. There will be a lot of information in the page that will still be useful to you, especially for welcome weekend. We will go through and remove everyone who isn't in the class once the semester has begun.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything we need to do right now besides accept the offer on the amp website?

Not at the moment. You'll be getting more information from UTHSCSA soon. For the time being, just enjoy knowing that you're going to be a doctor!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't pre-match nor did I match today at UTHSCSA. Hypothetically speaking, if I were placed on the wait list later on, are my odds of acceptance still quite low and far fetched? In short - should I go ahead and start updating my stuff/revising essays in preparation for the next application cycle?

Last edited:
If we prematched here and matched today (only waitlisted at UTSW b/c this was #2), is there anything extra to do. I haven't seen any emails...Also, would someone be kind enough to put up the link for the FB group? I'm coming to Welcome Weekend and would love to get to know some people beforehand. Yay to all of us and I genuinely can't wait to meet you :)

I didn't pre-match nor did I match today at UTHSCSA. Hypothetically speaking, if I were placed on the wait list later on, are my odds of acceptance still quite low and far fetched? In short - should I go ahead and start updating my stuff/revising essays in preparation for the next application cycle? :/

I can't say anything specific about you as an applicant, but we do have a pretty active waitlist. Most of the movement is usually around May. A lot of my good friends actually got in off the waitlist, so I wouldn't give up. That being said, it's never a bad idea to strengthen yourself as an applicant.

If we prematched here and matched today (only waitlisted at UTSW b/c this was #2), is there anything extra to do. I haven't seen any emails...Also, would someone be kind enough to put up the link for the FB group? I'm coming to Welcome Weekend and would love to get to know some people beforehand. Yay to all of us and I genuinely can't wait to meet you :)

Here's the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/668438346550461/

And nope, there isn't anything more that you have to do. Just enjoy your second semester senior year!!! Or if you've got a job and are working, consider quitting and enjoy yourself! Go backpack across Europe like me! It's a great experience. Enjoy your time now, because for the next 7-8 years, you won't really get another chance.

And yay! I'm glad you're coming to welcome weekend. You're in a similar situation to me last year. I was on the waitlist to Southwestern too, but I actually ended up turning down my spot once I attended welcome weekend at UTHSCSA. It was a blast last year, and we've got a lot of fun activities planned for y'all this year too.

Question: how long until UTHSCSA contacts people about their status in regards to the waitlist? I did not match at any school and was curious when the [general timeframe for the] waitlist information will be released

Question: how long until UTHSCSA contacts people about their status in regards to the waitlist? I did not match at any school and was curious when the [general timeframe for the] waitlist information will be released

If you currently have a position at a Texas medical school, you will be removed from most waitlists on June 1st. However, if you still have not been accepted anywhere, then you are eligible until the first day of class!

But most of the waitlist movement occurs around May.

Matched! Can't wait to meet the rest of this class!

Reactions: 2 users
If you currently have a position at a Texas medical school, you will be removed from most waitlists on June 1st. However, if you still have not been accepted anywhere, then you are eligible until the first day of class!

But most of the waitlist movement occurs around May.

Let's say I don't hear anything in terms of acceptance and May comes around; I'm still waitlisted but the 2015 cycle application opens up May 1st, and presumably, I would want to increase my chances for the 2015 cycle and submit my updated tmdsas application ASAP. Does me submitting for the 2015 application by default withdraw me from 2014 acceptance consideration?

Ha better question: did my previous question make sense? Sorry, it just seems like the dates all mash up.

Also congrats to all those who matched! Very exciting.

Last edited:
Let's say I don't hear anything in terms of acceptance and May comes around; I'm still waitlisted but the 2015 cycle application opens up May 1st, and presumably, I would want to increase my chances for the 2015 cycle and submit my updated tmdsas application ASAP. Does me submitting for the 2015 application by default withdraw me from 2014 acceptance consideration?

Ha better question: did my previous question make sense? Sorry, it just seems like the dates all mash up.

Also congrats to all those who matched! Very exciting.

I would still go ahead and apply. Theres no harm in strengthening your application and applying again (other than the time and money).

Reapplying will have no effect on your current application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an email today inquiring about it and got an automated response about Dr. Jones being out of the country until Friday... maybe whenever he gets back?

Y'all will receive a letter notifying you that you're on the waitlist soon. Probably within the month, but definitely by the end of March.

That being said, there is nothing more that you can do now. As I've said before, most of the movement occurs in May. So just be patient and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if you can defer enrollment here? I pre-matched here back in December and want to take a year off.

A question about welcome weekend (gonna be awesome)... I know that we are allowed to bring someone with us to lunch on Saturday, but what about when everyone goes downtown that evening? I am bringing my fiancee with me to San Antonio and I know she would love to tag along if that's allowed/not weird.

Additional info: I didn't sign up for the bus.

I sent him one on match day and have repeatedly tried to call the office of admissions and no one is responding.

That's interesting. I would try calling again on Tuesday.

A question about welcome weekend (gonna be awesome)... I know that we are allowed to bring someone with us to lunch on Saturday, but what about when everyone goes downtown that evening? I am bringing my fiancee with me to San Antonio and I know she would love to tag along if that's allowed/not weird.

Additional info: I didn't sign up for the bus.

Of course! All guests are welcome to attend any and all of the welcome weekend events (Friday and Saturday). And even if you haven't signed up for the bus yet, we may be able to get you on it.

Edit: Looks like the busses are fuller than I had originally thought. I've been informed that you should have said on the survey they wanted a spot for them and their guest. Unfortunately we have already booked the buses and have limited space.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, so I am bummed because I cannot make it to Welcome Weekend. Sounds like y'all are going to have a lot of fun! I am from out of state which makes it a little more difficult to come down for the event. Is there another event like this before classes start?

Of course! All guests are welcome to attend any and all of the welcome weekend events (Friday and Saturday). And even if you haven't signed up for the bus yet, we should still be able to get you on it. I highly highly recommend taking the bus as opposed to driving. Parking in downtown San Antonio, especially on the weekends, is a PITA.

The bus will leave the school at 6PM on Saturday, and we will be taking a brief tour throughout San Antonio. We will take y'all around the medical center and all of the local "hot spots." Then around 6:45-7PM the busses will arrive in downtown right next to the Alamo. From there, y'all are free to do whatever y'all want until the busses leave at 12AM. If anyone wants to leave earlier, they may, but they need to inform us before leaving and find a ride on their own - so we don't lose anyone.

Great! Thanks for the information! The reason I didn't sign up for the bus is that I thought she wouldn't be able to take the bus as well. If she can, how can I get us signed up for it since the rsvpbook event is closed?

Hey everyone, so I am bummed because I cannot make it to Welcome Weekend. Sounds like y'all are going to have a lot of fun! I am from out of state which makes it a little more difficult to come down for the event. Is there another event like this before classes start?

Unfortunately there isn't anything else until July. The week before classes start y'all will have orientation. The week begins with your white coat ceremony (day 1), and then everyone goes on a retreat for the weekend. It'll be the closest thing to welcome weekend, and you'll definitely have the opportunity to hang out with all of your classmates there. The retreat is a lot of fun, and it's pretty much filled with field day-like activities. I think y'all are going back to the Flying L Ranch.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

It looks like the information I posted about the busses was wrong.

Unfortunately more students responded to the survey than I had thought, and we're limited in our number of available spots.

However, you can email Belinda Gonzalez ([email protected]) to see she can still get you a seat on the bus. Even if you can't get a spot on the bus, you are still encouraged to find an alternative ride and meet us downtown.

Last edited:
So I got the "official wait list" email today. Does anyone know how many people are on the wait list? (Dr. J's email said that 10-30 people "usually" get taken from the list)

So I got the "official wait list" email today. Does anyone know how many people are on the wait list? (Dr. J's email said that 10-30 people "usually" get taken from the list)

The wait list includes anyone who interviewed and did not match to UTHSCSA or a school that they ranked higher. Everyone who fits this criteria is automatically added.

I don't believe UTHSCSA sends out any rejection letters. The worst case scenario is you don't make it off the wait list.

Edit: I was wrong. Whoops :unsure:

Last edited:
The wait list includes anyone who interviewed and did not match to UTHSCSA or a school that they ranked higher. Everyone who fits this criteria is automatically added.

I don't believe UTHSCSA sends out any rejection letters. The worst case scenario is you don't make it off the wait list.
Last year I interviewed at UTHSCSA and UTMB. I was wait listed at UTMB, but not UTHSCSA. So UTHSCSA does seem to pick and choose who they want on their wait list.

I didn't get one either:( I don't think everyone who interviewed and ranked them highly gets on the waitlist. I'm praying that they send out more tomorrow.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'll try and ask Dr. Jones or someone else soon to try and confirm it.

This is from a different post

"UT-San Antonio
Approximately a week after the match, snail mail letters were sent out only to applicants on the waitlist. Applicants who did not receive one of these can check with the school to confirm that they are not on the waitlist or if there was an error. San Antonio seems to be more selective about who they put on their waitlist, so the odds are slightly better if you are on their list versus the other schools."

So it looks like y'all are correct. I apologize.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'll try and ask Dr. Jones or someone else soon to try and confirm it.

I just remember reading last years thread about someone emailing Dr. Jones about the waiting list and Dr. Jones replying to him that he was not included on the waiting list. Real bummer because I am super sad that i won't get to attend...

I got the email as well. how many people are left? Do we have a good shot? I think this information is important because I'm not sure if I should start apartment hunting or not for A&M. so confused :(

I got my alternate list email just now. I sent an update letter this morning, unbeknownst that alternate list emails went out yesterday. Not sure if I got the email because of the update or if I was already on it...

Can anyone shed some light on the "alternate pool from which the committee selects, not a ranked list?" A friend who got an explanation about this from an out of state school said it means that they already have their "class profile" filled, so the alternates are considered only if someone with a similar profile chooses not to attend UTHSCSA. For example, if a white male with a 32/3.8 chooses not to attend UTHSCSA (perhaps due to getting pulled off a wait list elsewhere), then the administrators would look for another white male with a 32/3.8 to take his spot, as opposed to perhaps taking what would be viewed as a superior candidate maybe with say a 35/3.8 (who would most likely already be accepted somewhere else anyway, just an example). Can anybody corroborate this or clarify the "not a ranked list" part?

I don't think anyone can answer this with certainty unless they are on the admissions committee...

I don't think anyone can answer this with certainty unless they are on the admissions committee...

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. There are 1000 interviewees so for all we know, the waitlist right now could be 500 or 50..

I really hate this whole waitlist bs. I mean, am I supposed to start looking for apartments at A&M? If not, I'll end up with some ****ty one that I get at the last minute. Jeeeez

Yeah, unfortunately you're right. There are 1000 interviewees so for all we know, the waitlist right now could be 500 or 50..

I really hate this whole waitlist bs. I mean, am I supposed to start looking for apartments at A&M? If not, I'll end up with some ****** one that I get at the last minute. Jeeeez

I would start making plans for your current acceptance. If you end up getting off the waitlist, you could always opt out off whatever lease you may sign at A&M. Obviously you'll have to pay a fee, but if you really want to go to San Antonio it's worth it!

I would start making plans for your current acceptance. If you end up getting off the waitlist, you could always opt out off whatever lease you may sign at A&M. Obviously you'll have to pay a fee, but if you really want to go to San Antonio it's worth it!

Good point. Thanks boss! :)

Make the waitlist-ers proud!

Does anyone know if or when UTHSCSA sends out rejections to those who interviewed but are not getting waitlisted (therefore not getting accepted)? Thanks!

Does anyone know if or when UTHSCSA sends out rejections to those who interviewed but are not getting waitlisted (therefore not getting accepted)? Thanks!
If i remember correctly, i never receieved a formal rejection last year. I emailed and inquired about my status and was told i wasn't selected for the alternate list.