2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads up. The LCME has removed UTHSCSA off its probationary status.

Dear Gandalf,

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013, the Liaison Committee on Medical Accreditation (LCME) voted to remove the probationary status of the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio, effective immediately.

This journey has been challenging and at the same time exhilarating; the resultant analyses of our medical education program, the lines of authority and communication, the resources devoted to it, and processes for continuous curriculum design, management, and evaluation have made us a better and stronger institution. We have refocused our energy on the primacy of our educational mission and in cultivating institutional habits of continuous reflection and improvement, open communication and transparency, and self-directed learning and responsibility. These are the very same habits that will prepare our students to lead medicine into new challenges.

With great respect,

Francisco González-Scarano, M.D.

Dean, School of Medicine

Florence Eddins-Folensbee, M.D.

Vice Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education

David J. Jones, M.S., Ph.D.

Senior Associate Dean for Admissions

Members don't see this ad.

This came to you as an unprovoked email or did you ask about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. I wonder why I did not receive one. Hope that's not a bad sign. I have talked to a pal who has an interview in the upcoming month and he hasn't received it either. I hope my interview evaluations aren't lining a bird cage.

Interesting. I wonder why I did not receive one. Hope that's not a bad sign. I have talked to a pal who has an interview in the upcoming month and he hasn't received it either. I hope my interview evaluations aren't lining a bird cage.

They told us this information during our interview day. I wonder if they sent it to interviewees that interviewed before the news was out.

They told us this information during our interview day. I wonder if they sent it to interviewees that interviewed before the news was out.

I interviewed 9/16 and we were told that would be informed when the LCME reached their decision. It's possible that this is good news for some of you guys. Also possible that I am neurotic and the email will come in a separate wave.

Dr. Jones told us right when it was announced to him at like 9am (Oct 7th)...changed his powerpoint to reflect that, and then I had an interviewer tell me that they received the email at about 10 or 11am. I could see people who interviewed beforehand receiving an email about it, though!

Anyone know if there's been more OOS acceptances since Oct. 15?

For those of you still holding out hope for an II here, I just received one this morning. The earliest dates open were 12/2, 12/9, and 12/16.

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you still holding out hope for an II here, I just received one this morning. The earliest dates open were 12/2, 12/9, and 12/16.

Same. My 3 month dry spell is finally over! I didn't see the 12/2 option though (maybe you took the last spot! :mad:) so I signed up for 12/9 :D

You all were right... II today! There is hope! 12/16 due to several finals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not much hope. They only interview until mid Jan. Was complete in May... 3.8/39 and nothing.
I think you have a good chance if I did!!! My stats are nowhere near the quality of yours

I think you have a good chance if I did!!! My stats are nowhere near the quality of yours

I feel like if they wanted me, they would have given me a shot by now. I sent in an update/interest letter and an in-the-area letter to no avail.

Good luck and congrats on your interview though. I hear it's a great place!

Can those who received an Interview Invite yesterday please share your stats? Just curiosity haha :)

Can those who received an Interview Invite yesterday please share your stats? Just curiosity haha :)

IS, 31, 3.7
Complete since July - I guess they took a while to decide if they liked me.

I interview on November 11. Any tips for those accepted/already interviewed? Was the interview 1 on 1, and it is a closed interview, correct (they don't have your GPA/MCAT available)?

I interview on November 11. Any tips for those accepted/already interviewed? Was the interview 1 on 1, and it is a closed interview, correct (they don't have your GPA/MCAT available)?

Both interviews were 1 on 1. They did not have GPA/MCAT but I was asked both by one interviewer. Relatively laid back. From what I saw, they have a module on their computer which shows your picture and your TMDSAS essays. They also have recommended questions provided by the admissions office or someone, but I do remember seeing recommended questions. I was not asked any of these questions. The interviewers both preferred to ask their own questions (generic interview questions). The questions you see on interview feedback here should be ample. I do regret not bringing a CV. My interviewers changed throughout the day and one was not anticipating me. A printed CV would have smoothed that start. I believe that misfortune is not a regular occurrence so it wouldn't be the biggest deal if you do not bring one.

Both interviews were 1 on 1. They did not have GPA/MCAT but I was asked both by one interviewer. Relatively laid back. From what I saw, they have a module on their computer which shows your picture and your TMDSAS essays. They also have recommended questions provided by the admissions office or someone, but I do remember seeing recommended questions. I was not asked any of these questions. The interviewers both preferred to ask their own questions (generic interview questions). The questions you see on interview feedback here should be ample. I do regret not bringing a CV. My interviewers changed throughout the day and one was not anticipating me. A printed CV would have smoothed that start. I believe that misfortune is not a regular occurrence so it wouldn't be the biggest deal if you do not bring one.

1 on 1, no GPA/MCAT, and pretty laid back. Both of my interviews were in the library so they had hard copies of my essays. My faculty interviewer asked specific questions about something I mentioned in half a sentence in one of my essays, so be ready to talk about anything you wrote. My student interviewer was a little awkward because he/she only used the recommended questions and was not very conversational, but it was still low-stress and you may not get a student interviewer at all. The student interviewers are all MS4, I believe, and could be Q&A panelists or tour guides that you meet in the morning, so be nice and engaged all day since one of them could be interviewing you. (During the Q&A session they said we could ask anything since no faculty was in the room, but some of them turned out to be interviewers so I don't recommend asking "anything"). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It was weird to see people coming out with huge frowns on their faces from interviewers who were polite and great to talk with. It might be the tone involved with the whole interview that sets up the kind of conversation one is going to have, because I went in with a light tone and smiled, and had a great time talking with both physicians. One even went so far as to start talking about movies and books for a few minutes (+5 for use of Die Hard in conversation). I won't know how well I did until I hear back, but from what I experienced, it was a comfortable and enlightening experience!

Interviewed here on Monday and just loved it. Both of my interviewers were super sweet and the interviews themselves were incredibly conversational. The only info they have on you is your essays so make sure to read over them. This school just became my top choice.

1 on 1, no GPA/MCAT, and pretty laid back. Both of my interviews were in the library so they had hard copies of my essays. My faculty interviewer asked specific questions about something I mentioned in half a sentence in one of my essays, so be ready to talk about anything you wrote. My student interviewer was a little awkward because he/she only used the recommended questions and was not very conversational, but it was still low-stress and you may not get a student interviewer at all. The student interviewers are all MS4, I believe, and could be Q&A panelists or tour guides that you meet in the morning, so be nice and engaged all day since one of them could be interviewing you. (During the Q&A session they said we could ask anything since no faculty was in the room, but some of them turned out to be interviewers so I don't recommend asking "anything"). Good luck!

Thank you for your responses! Very helpful.

I interviewed here today and loved it! Did anyone happen to hear or ask when we might hear back? I was too scared to ask Dr. Jones and sound silly or pushy!

Is UTHSCA done giving out interviews? Anyone with January interviews yet?

I interviewed here today and loved it! Did anyone happen to hear or ask when we might hear back? I was too scared to ask Dr. Jones and sound silly or pushy!
I'm pretty sure between November 15 and December 31 they offer acceptances for Texas residents. The wait begins :/

Last year, acceptances began to roll out at 8am on 11/15, with another big wave around 3pm if I remember correctly. Get excited guys! :) Fingers crossed for everyone!

Anyone know how heavily UTHSCSA pre-matches (on the first day) as well as what kinds of stats these lucky few have?

you could take a look at the previous year's threads....

IIRC, they were 3.5-3.8/30-35
Oh, Gandalf, why would I do that when I knew I could count on you?

But, really, old threads are like n=3; I was hoping someone here might have the inside scoop.

So, according to your posited stats range, is someone who is at the top of the applicant pool (3.8+, 35+, interviewed in August, and interviewed well) more or less guaranteed a 1st-day prematch? I'm just curious as to whether TX adcoms still take yield protection into account during the pre-match offer process.

Is UTHSCA done giving out interviews? Anyone with January interviews yet?

I would also like to know this. I should be happy with the IIs I have so far but I think one more would seal the deal for me.

no lol but my heart jumped into my throat when I saw the thread bump...

Reactions: 1 users
Can you specify what you mean by that?

Take this with a grain of salt, as it's just the behavior I've observed in other threads. Schools that send out their prematches in a batch usually have threads that blow up with "ACCEPTED!" all within around an hour: see Texas A&M thread where they sent out the prematches after midnight. Ones like UTH, you see posts come in a little at a time, assuming that they send out prematches slowly over the day.

Thanks all! I'm so excited to get good news. I got an email at 11:37am and my amp account also shows the offer.

Accepted as well - at 12:20 central time.

Hey everybody -

I'm interviewing here next Monday, 11/25. If anyone wants to split a hotel room on the Sunday, just PM me!

Thanks!

Accepted here Friday around 12:30, will most likely be giving the spot up however, so good luck to whoever is waiting!