2013-2014 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone post the stats for interview/acceptance? I just interviewed here and would love to go to this school!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone interviewing from Oct 5 - Oct 8th that wants to split a hotel room?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't help but be optimistic that more II's will be coming for all of us soon since the application deadline is today. After all, now the school has all the apps that will be coming in...

I hope so! I wish us all the best of luck!

I'm right here with ya! I had complete e mails on 8/19 and haven't heard a thing. I am IS, non trad, slightly below avg GPA, and slightly above avg MCAT.

I really thought I'd have at least one ii by now, but nothing at all... Keep your head up!

UTHSCSA is officially off of probation and remains fully accredited. This should be reflected on the LCME's web page within the week and I imagine those of you who interview here from now on will be told this during your interview morning. Good luck to all of you this cycle!

UTHSCSA is officially off of probation and remains fully accredited. This should be reflected on the LCME's web page within the week and I imagine those of you who interview here from now on will be told this during your interview morning. Good luck to all of you this cycle!
Yeah apparently they were notified like twenty minutes before that presentation...the interviewees found out before the staff at the place :p

So quick question: if you interviewed before Oct 15th, does that mean you have to wait until Feb to hear back, or can they extend out early offers?
EDIT: I just found the answer :p

So, for the different programs:
Early Decision: Oct 1st
OOS and Special Programs: Oct 15th and beyond
IS: Nov 15th - Dec 31st

Source: http://som.uthscsa.edu/Admissions/documents/TMDSASEY08Timeline.pdf

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Were you guys notified via email? And when did you interview? And, oh yeah... Congrats!!!

Hi all!

I got confirmation email on 9/10. Still waiting for II. Do y'all think I'm too late for the party?
In-state, stats are 3.4/3.4/33. Not URM.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

Accepted today as well!! Congrats to everyone else who has been accepted!

Does anyone remember the average step exam scores at UTHSCSA? I remember they told us in the presentation at the interview.

So if I'm OOS and I interviewed in August but haven't heard back yet is that a bad sign?

Does anyone remember the average step exam scores at UTHSCSA? I remember they told us in the presentation at the interview.
The average was 225, with a 97% pass rate (at least that's what I have in my notes).

The average was 225, with a 97% pass rate (at least that's what I have in my notes).

keep in mind this was their average step 1 scores from their antiquated traditional curriculum,
not the new integrated one in place now. Having modeled it similarly to Baylor's 1.5 year curriculum, you should expect higher numbers.

keep in mind this was their average step 1 scores from their antiquated traditional curriculum,
not the new integrated one in place now. Having modeled it similarly to Baylor's 1.5 year curriculum, you should expect higher numbers.

Their new curriculum does seem pretty sweet.

I'm kinda sold on this school for the moment.

An all elective 4th year plus an elective third year. And a 1.5 year systems curriculum with usually half days?!

And it's where you're from! Win. Yeah, plus they're building a new hospital opening in January...

Congrats to the acceptances! And for you OOS-ers, you're going to love San Antonio. :)

Sorry for the repost...but has anyone received bad news via snail mail? I don't have easy mail access right now, that's why I ask. Thank you.

II 11/25
Transmitted 8/26
In State
MCAT: 38
GPA: 3.36
Graduate GPA: 4.0
Non-Traditional

I hate to be this person...but I would also hate for someone to say UTSA on interview day. It's the weird scary acronym UTHSCSA ("utesca") or, if you're actually physically there in S.A., "the Health Science Center" or just "San Antonio" (as in, "I have an interview at the Health Science Center tomorrow" or "I would love to be in San Antonio next year").

UTSA is the (mostly) undergrad institution. While there is nothing wrong with it, it is hardly UT Austin, which may be why it is a (minor) faux pas to call the med school UTSA.

I hate to be this person...but I would also hate for someone to say UTSA on interview day. It's the weird scary acronym UTHSCSA ("utesca") or, if you're actually physically there in S.A., "the Health Science Center" or just "San Antonio" (as in, "I have an interview at the Health Science Center tomorrow" or "I would love to be in San Antonio next year").

UTSA is the (mostly) undergrad institution. While there is nothing wrong with it, it is hardly UT Austin, which may be why it is a (minor) faux pas to call the med school UTSA.
Yeah, they are picky about that.

Does "UT School of Medicine" work? :D
/UTexas alum

Yeah, they are picky about that.

This came up earlier, but this just seems so nit picky and petty.

Everyone calls the med school in Houston: UT Houston (even though their correct name is UT Health Science center blah) and Tech in Lubbock: Texas Tech-Lubbock and Tech in El Paso: Texas Tech-El Paso and no one at those schools are offended by it.

Even calling UT San Antonio the Health Science Center doesn't make sense because that encompasses all the other biomedical/health graduate schools--not the med school specifically.

When people get upset about mispronouncing a name (and in this case it is not even as bad as that), then it really annoys me.

Especially since this seems to be driven by the med school wanting to distance itself from the undergrad UT San Antonio. For some (though not all) it seems to be motivated by not wanting to be associated with what they deem to be a "lesser" institution, which is extremely offensive. I am not a UT San Antonio alum but it is very arrogant to look down on another school like this. Several of my classmates from high school went to UT San Antonio as undergrads and I am sure they received a fine education. Unwarranted hubris like this is even more offensive than justified arrogance (like I saw from several Baylor students).

Mostly because for my entire life people have mispronounced my name and it is such a minor thing that it never bothered me. I always knew who they were referring to.

So it seems really petty for people to get bent out of shape about something even less personal like this.

This came up earlier, but this just seems so nit picky and petty.

Everyone calls the med school in Houston: UT Houston (even though their correct name is UT Health Science center blah) and Tech in Lubbock: Texas Tech-Lubbock and Tech in El Paso: Texas Tech-El Paso and no one at those schools are offended by it.

Even calling UT San Antonio the Health Science Center doesn't make sense because that encompasses all the other biomedical/health graduate schools--not the med school specifically.

When people get upset about mispronouncing a name (and in this case it is not even as bad as that), then it really annoys me.

Especially since this seems to be driven by the med school wanting to distance itself from the undergrad UT San Antonio. For some (though not all) it seems to be motivated by not wanting to be associated with what they deem to be a "lesser" institution, which is extremely offensive. I am not a UT San Antonio alum but it is very arrogant to look down on another school like this. Several of my classmates from high school went to UT San Antonio as undergrads and I am sure they received a fine education. Unwarranted hubris like this is even more offensive than justified arrogance (like I saw from several Baylor students).

Mostly because for my entire life people have mispronounced my name and it is such a minor thing that it never bothered me. I always knew who they were referring to.

So it seems really petty for people to get bent out of shape about something even less personal like this.

Agreed. Who the hell cares? They know we mean no disrespect

this came up earlier, but this just seems so nit picky and petty.

Everyone calls the med school in houston: Ut houston (even though their correct name is ut health science center blah) and tech in lubbock: Texas tech-lubbock and tech in el paso: Texas tech-el paso and no one at those schools are offended by it.

Even calling ut san antonio the health science center doesn't make sense because that encompasses all the other biomedical/health graduate schools--not the med school specifically.

Especially since this seems to be driven by the med school wanting to distance itself from the undergrad ut san antonio. For some (though not all) it seems to be motivated by not wanting to be associated with what they deem to be a "lesser" institution, which is extremely offensive. I am not a ut san antonio alum but it is very arrogant to look down on another school like this. Several of my classmates from high school went to ut san antonio as undergrads and i am sure they received a fine education. Unwarranted hubris like this is even more offensive than justified arrogance (like i saw from several baylor students).

+1

I thought of an analogy. A really bad one.

The school is like a teenage girl that just got dumped. In their case, instead of getting dumped, they went on probation. Now, just like the insecure girl that gets upset at every little thing, the school is now overly sensitive.

Or perhaps it's like a person whose name most people can't pronounce or have difficulty with it, so they abbreviate it which in turn offends that person.

I guess it boils down to how much pride you have in your name.

I agree 100% that it's a little bogus--but really, why do the wrong thing at an interview if you want to get admitted? If you don't want an offer, go ahead, call it whatever you want. As for me, I don't want to look like a hick.

Similar case: I have a friend who is applying to Ph.D. programs. He will probably get in. But he is not routinely rubbing shoulders with academics. So certain things he misses.

The school in Baltimore? He calls it John Hopkins. At the lab that's fine. But do you want to do that at an interview?

I really don't know where you guys are getting that they are offended by a name. I've been here for almost 2 years and at no time during my education or during the application process was anybody offended that I called it UTSA. I went to UTSA for undergrad as well, it came up in both of my interviews and I pre-matched. So I think this nonsense about them being so picky about a name is truly just disinformation spread by someone who heard it from a friend who talked to a girl at an interview 8 years ago who was never accepted blah blah blah.

In short, just relax guys. Nobody cares what you call it.

I really don't know where you guys are getting that they are offended by a name. I've been here for almost 2 years and at no time during my education or during the application process was anybody offended that I called it UTSA. I went to UTSA for undergrad as well, it came up in both of my interviews and I pre-matched. So I think this nonsense about them being so picky about a name is truly just disinformation spread by someone who heard it from a friend who talked to a girl at an interview 8 years ago who was never accepted blah blah blah.

In short, just relax guys. Nobody cares what you call it.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. When I said they were picky, I didn't mean they would reject you or something based on that. I just was corrected in an interview when I said "UTSA" and it was clarified to me that the two institutions were separate. That's all.

Have all the interviews here been on Mondays? Do they have interviews on any other days? Thanks!

:cry::cry::cry:
Sorry... Maybe that's why I don't qualify