2010-2011 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re OOS acceptences:

I count 8 OOS Acceptances on this thread. Anyone know of any others?

Calitexarizohio
bconstant
Chastyre
fungirl
Suncrusher
rafster88
Dr. Cox
krispxzero (me)

Any accepted OOS not planning to take the acceptance?

I think aarsdom is OOS...correct me if i'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who is in state, who was accepted to FAU, AND who has an acceptance somewhere else? I'm not sure I've seen one yet.

The reason I ask is that if they're only allowed to accept 64 spots + 6 (10% above class size for schools undergoing accreditation), then it makes sense for them to limit the number of acceptances to applicants who have spots elsewhere and are likely to sit on them until May, only to decline the spot once the deadline comes (i.e., people like me who wanted to see what FAU was about but weren't going to attend). If they mostly accept applicants where FAU is their only acceptance - they can guarantee a class of 64. Its an interesting idea for a cycle starting so late - I wonder if they gave it any thought.

Either way, one of their deans mentioned that no other school has ever started the application process this late, and he wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out. Bumps in the road are inevitable, and they can't predict the obstacles inherent in their late start. So to everyone trying to figure out their methods, take it easy. They probably don't even know how far into the summer they'll interview. There is no sense for you to try to figure it out. Also, my interviewer told me they had plans of increasing the class size above 64, but then others were adamant that the class cap was staying at 64. Its obvious the program is still a work in progress and a lot of the kinks are being worked out - hence a lot of the conflicting information posted here.
Good luck to y'all again, and congrats to those already accepted!

I think aarsdom is OOS...correct me if i'm wrong.

Nah, I'm from Miami. I've been working in DC for almost a year but I've managed to keep paying only Florida taxes because I haven't spent six continuous months in DC for a taxable year. I may have to fight for my in-state tuition, but I damn sure will if it comes to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I'm from Miami. I've been working in DC for almost a year but I've managed to keep paying only Florida taxes because I haven't spent six continuous months in DC for a taxable year. I may have to fight for my in-state tuition, but I damn sure will if it comes to that.

Sorry aarsdam, thought you were from DC. Smart move regarding the taxes/in-state tuition. I don't see why they would consider you OOS in terms of tuition. I am sure you would be able to prove your Florida residency and hence pay the in-state price. Congrats on the acceptance!

Is there anyone who is in state, who was accepted to FAU, AND who has an acceptance somewhere else? I'm not sure I've seen one yet.

The reason I ask is that if they're only allowed to accept 64 spots + 6 (10% above class size for schools undergoing accreditation), then it makes sense for them to limit the number of acceptances to applicants who have spots elsewhere and are likely to sit on them until May, only to decline the spot once the deadline comes (i.e., people like me who wanted to see what FAU was about but weren't going to attend). If they mostly accept applicants where FAU is their only acceptance - they can guarantee a class of 64. Its an interesting idea for a cycle starting so late - I wonder if they gave it any thought.

Either way, one of their deans mentioned that no other school has ever started the application process this late, and he wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out. Bumps in the road are inevitable, and they can't predict the obstacles inherent in their late start. So to everyone trying to figure out their methods, take it easy. They probably don't even know how far into the summer they'll interview. There is no sense for you to try to figure it out. Also, my interviewer told me they had plans of increasing the class size above 64, but then others were adamant that the class cap was staying at 64. Its obvious the program is still a work in progress and a lot of the kinks are being worked out - hence a lot of the conflicting information posted here.
Good luck to y'all again, and congrats to those already accepted!

I think most of the students that applied this late in the cycle were either sitting on waitlists or hadn't heard back from other schools yet. It makes sense for FAU to capitalize on those students just sitting around waiting to hear back from schools.

I was not particularly excited when I got the invite because it was interview #5 and I was tired of the entire process, but when I actually went to the interview I was impressed enough to withdraw from FIU and Tulane's waitlists (after being accepted).

I'm sure most of the other accepted students will do the same thing I'm doing now: preparing to go to FAU (and f***ing thrilled about that), while waiting to hear back from other potential options (in my case Miami and FSU). There's going to be a lot of turnover from now until August, but I think FAU has a defined plan for attacking their applicant pool and is not simply trying to fill this class.

As for the 64 person cap, I'm sure Dr. Henson won that argument with anyone who wanted to expand. She's some kind of woman. I have no doubts that the curriculum at FAU is going to be second-to-none.

Interviewed at FAU today.
Extremely impressed with all aspects -- the curriculum, the facilities, and the people. The combination of a fully integrated curriculum, a class size of only 64, and PBL groups (8 students to one professor/doctor) is designed to create a learning environment where active and engaged learners will thrive. A few details of the facilities I especially appreciated include having your own desk/study space, 24/7 access to the medical school building to study, and a very well equipped simulation center. As far as the people: the doctors and leadership were approachable, having an open door policy, and committed to each student's success. I have no doubt those fortunate enough to go here will receive an excellent medical education.

As far as interviews, they are indeed conversational. They are not designed to be stressful. The doctor who interviewed me just wanted to hear my story with a particular attention towards wanting to understand the weakness(es) in my application.

Hope that helps.

Anyone know how the academic societies are suppose to work? I was going to make a joke during out interview day and ask whether there was going to be a sorting hat ceremony. But I bit my tongue because I didn't want to be perceived as criticizing the idea. On the contrary it sounds fun.

IT almost sounds like little fraternities within the class to get people to help each other. But I wonder if we might be competing against each other too. Maybe it's a way for them to add some group based competition to make up for the lack of individual competition due to the pass fail grading.

Also, anyone bringing a spouse and kid to medical school, like me?

Preliminary review completed...6 weeks after being started. That can't be a good sign!! :eek:

Congratulations to all of you who have already been accepted, and good luck to those of you still waiting for news!

I have a spouse and will have a kid by the time school starts!

OOS Scholarships: I spoke with the financial aid person today and she said as of now there is ZERO scholarship for charter class but they are trying hard to get someone to donate money for that. The instate charter scholarships are from the state which is why OOS dont qualify. Thats a REAL bummer b.c I was really counting on a scholarship( almost every new school has scholarships for first class)

Anyone know how the academic societies are suppose to work? I was going to make a joke during out interview day and ask whether there was going to be a sorting hat ceremony. But I bit my tongue because I didn't want to be perceived as criticizing the idea. On the contrary it sounds fun.

IT almost sounds like little fraternities within the class to get people to help each other. But I wonder if we might be competing against each other too. Maybe it's a way for them to add some group based competition to make up for the lack of individual competition due to the pass fail grading.

Hahah I was wondering the same thing. I hope it doesn't divide the class though because it would be nice to be close with everyone (or at least try to?). And I wonder if the groups ever switch up or if we stay in the same ones for the whole time? My boyfriend is at VTech Med now and they have something similar but the groups get switched up every quarter, so he has been able to get to know everyone pretty well (he's in the charter class with 42 students). He said he really likes the small class size so I think we are in for a treat when we start in August!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahah I was wondering the same thing. I hope it doesn't divide the class though because it would be nice to be close with everyone (or at least try to?). And I wonder if the groups ever switch up or if we stay in the same ones for the whole time? My boyfriend is at VTech Med now and they have something similar but the groups get switched up every quarter, so he has been able to get to know everyone pretty well (he's in the charter class with 42 students). He said he really likes the small class size so I think we are in for a treat when we start in August!!

Honestly, it just sounded like a way to divide up which student lounge we get our lockers/mailbox/whatever in (I think our cards will still get us access to both?) and which faculty member we go to when we have problems that we want to raise. I could be totally wrong though

Honestly, it just sounded like a way to divide up which student lounge we get our lockers/mailbox/whatever in (I think our cards will still get us access to both?) and which faculty member we go to when we have problems that we want to raise. I could be totally wrong though
During our interview day, the faculty likened the academic society program to the one at Harvard. The wiki description makes it sound at least a little competitive.

"
Upon matriculation, medical and dental students at Harvard Medical School are divided into five societies named after famous HMS alumni. Each society has a master along with several associate society masters who serve as academic advisors to students.[9] In the New Pathway program, students work in small group tutorials and lab sessions within their societies. Every year, the five societies compete in "Society Olympics" for the famed Pink Flamingo in a series of events (e.g. dance-off, dodgeball, limbo contest, quidditch) that test the unorthodox talents of the students in each society. Cannon Society currently possesses the Pink Flamingo, finally breaking HST's long winning streak."

(ok, I added the quidditch part. :D and no, I am not a Harry Potter fan.)

Me! Spouse. No kids.

Have you looked at any places to live? Any "family" apartments?
I've been looking on craigslist and forrent dot com. 2 br 2 ba apartments that look pretty nice are going for around 1200 a month.

I have to see where my wife can land a job too, before picking a place to live.

Looking for a good school/day care for my 2.5 yo is another issue.

rafster88 and ladydoc2010 - have you looked into the law regarding in-state tuition? As I read it, as long as your spouse establishes residency before 8/6/2011, we will qualify for in-state tuition after the first year. (8/1/2011 to be safe). DISCLAIMER I am not a registered Florida attorney and this is not legal advice.

Yeah, he said mid-April at our interviews. The woman in financial aid I spoke with today said they didn't even have anything in the pipeline yet. As much as I wish everyone to be informed, I hope maybe there's just something she doesn't know about yet. With the cost, I can see some OOS going elsewhere without finaid, but not everyone has more than one acceptance. Hopefully they'll have some news soon.

Congrats to everyone who got interviews! It's very conversational, and they'll want to talk about your hobbies as well as your AMCAS info. Have a great time and enjoy! :thumbup:
yes. all very good points. i spoke with the financial aid office as well about a week ago. . . nothing at all for OOS at that time. i do hope it will change, b/c this school is MAD expensive for OOS . . . more than many private medical schools even. b/c tuition is already 30,000 more a year for OOS, that's 120,000 more than IS over four years, and since many of the 54 IS will be getting pretty generous scholarships for the charter class, it turns out that OOS will not only pay much more than their 54 other classmates, but that the 10 OOS will be paying SIGNIFICANTLY more. . . i find that a bit disconcerting. i can see some OOS going elsewhere as well. also, innovation village is apparently super expensive, to the point that there is a different COA (cost of attendance) number and value for those who actually end up living there (as compared to off campus). for OOS, at least for me personally, finding an apartment off campus (that is cheaper) is more difficult without knowing the area, but OOS would also have to get cars apparently (esp for 3rd and 4th years) to drive to the hospitals as well as simulation centers.

As an OOS, i'm now having second thoughts for the first time b/c of these issues. we would have to pay A LOT more than the majority of our classmates (who have 120,000 less to pay for tuition AND are receiving 4-year charter class scholarships), find off-campus but cheaper housing or live on-campus in an especially expensive innovation village (with a different COA), and also get a car. . . . . :(

I REALLY love this school and every bit of it. except for the issues above. if anyone has any insights that might alleviate some of the concerns i've expressed, which i'm sure many OOS have, please chime in.

i really want to be an fau owl and a charter class member. . . but i'm just not sure if i can afford it given not only financial concerns but other personal and family factors as well. . . . sigh

Good luck to everyone still interviewing or waiting!

I've been looking on craigslist and forrent dot com. 2 br 2 ba apartments that look pretty nice are going for around 1200 a month.

I have to see where my wife can land a job too, before picking a place to live.

Looking for a good school/day care for my 2.5 yo is another issue.

rafster88 and ladydoc2010 - have you looked into the law regarding in-state tuition? As I read it, as long as your spouse establishes residency before 8/6/2011, we will qualify for in-state tuition after the first year. (8/1/2011 to be safe). DISCLAIMER I am not a registered Florida attorney and this is not legal advice.

I am IS so I don't have to worry about this. But I did want to mention that you might want to call the school. I thought that Florida passed some new legislation that what state you claim on your AMCAS application is what you will be classified as for ALL 4 years. But double check on this! It is definitely worth looking into if you can reduce your tuition years 2-4!!!

yes. all very good points. i spoke with the financial aid office as well about a week ago. . . nothing at all for OOS at that time. i do hope it will change, b/c this school is MAD expensive for OOS . . . more than many private medical schools even. b/c tuition is already 30,000 more a year for OOS, that's 120,000 more than IS over four years, and since many of the 54 IS will be getting pretty generous scholarships for the charter class, it turns out that OOS will not only pay much more than their 54 other classmates, but that the 10 OOS will be paying SIGNIFICANTLY more. . . i find that a bit disconcerting. i can see some OOS going elsewhere as well. also, innovation village is apparently super expensive, to the point that there is a different COA (cost of attendance) number and value for those who actually end up living there (as compared to off campus). for OOS, at least for me personally, finding an apartment off campus (that is cheaper) is more difficult without knowing the area, but OOS would also have to get cars apparently (esp for 3rd and 4th years) to drive to the hospitals as well as simulation centers.

As an OOS, i'm now having second thoughts for the first time b/c of these issues. we would have to pay A LOT more than the majority of our classmates (who have 120,000 less to pay for tuition AND are receiving 4-year charter class scholarships), find off-campus but cheaper housing or live on-campus in an especially expensive innovation village (with a different COA), and also get a car. . . . . :(

I REALLY love this school and every bit of it. except for the issues above. if anyone has any insights that might alleviate some of the concerns i've expressed, which i'm sure many OOS have, please chime in.

i really want to be an fau owl and a charter class member. . . but i'm just not sure if i can afford it given not only financial concerns but other personal and family factors as well. . . . sigh

Good luck to everyone still interviewing or waiting!

This is exactly how I feel. Still waiting to get off of state school waitlists, but I feel like FAU is such a cool opportunity and would even be beneficial for residency placement. It would be so much cooler to say "I STARTED such-and-such" as opposed to "I participated in such-and-such..." In the end it will probably come down to tuition costs though.

Any idea when OOS can expect to know if there's any money for us?

I am IS so I don't have to worry about this. But I did want to mention that you might want to call the school. I thought that Florida passed some new legislation that what state you claim on your AMCAS application is what you will be classified as for ALL 4 years. But double check on this! It is definitely worth looking into if you can reduce your tuition years 2-4!!!
I did ask the FinAid lady on interview day and Dr. Hinkley chimed in, saying that it's a possibility to get in state if my family moves with me to Florida. I will probably take your advice and ask again and make the arguement, since it will be a 90K difference in total cost.

And to be sneaky, you other OOSers might consider marrying each other to get in-state tuition after the first year. I think that's a possible loop hole in the statute. :D but I wouldn't bank on it.

rafster88, you might want to look at Florida Education Code Section 1009.21(6)(d) which reads:

(d) A person who is classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes and who marries a legal resident of the state or marries a person who becomes a legal resident of the state may, upon becoming a legal resident of the state, become eligible for reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes upon submitting evidence of his or her own legal residency in the state, evidence of his or her marriage to a person who is a legal resident of the state, and evidence of the spouse's legal residence in the state for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application for reclassification.

If anyone wants to help me out by fake-marrying me, PM me ASAP.

Agree with what was posted earlier...Innovation Village is so ridiculously priced you have to get a budget change approval to live there. Definitely going to room off campus when I find a roomie. I think finding a 2 bedroom place for 500-600/mo each within 5min of the school shouldn't be impossible...hopefully...and from what I saw driving around after my interview, there are tons of pretty small homes in the immediate area also, so maybe 3 people could rent one of those for even cheaper than a 2 bedroom apartment. I'd def be interested in that!

I did ask the FinAid lady on interview day and Dr. Hinkley chimed in, saying that it's a possibility to get in state if my family moves with me to Florida. I will probably take your advice and ask again and make the arguement, since it will be a 90K difference in total cost.

And to be sneaky, you other OOSers might consider marrying each other to get in-state tuition after the first year. I think that's a possible loop hole in the statute. :D but I wouldn't bank on it.

rafster88, you might want to look at Florida Education Code Section 1009.21(6)(d) which reads:

(d) A person who is classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes and who marries a legal resident of the state or marries a person who becomes a legal resident of the state may, upon becoming a legal resident of the state, become eligible for reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes upon submitting evidence of his or her own legal residency in the state, evidence of his or her marriage to a person who is a legal resident of the state, and evidence of the spouse’s legal residence in the state for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application for reclassification.

Please see my above comment about June weddings. With 54 in-state classmates to choose from, all of the out-of-staters should be covered.

If anyone wants to help me out by fake-marrying me, PM me ASAP.

Agree with what was posted earlier...Innovation Village is so ridiculously priced you have to get a budget change approval to live there. Definitely going to room off campus when I find a roomie. I think finding a 2 bedroom place for 500-600/mo each within 5min of the school shouldn't be impossible...hopefully...and from what I saw driving around after my interview, there are tons of pretty small homes in the immediate area also, so maybe 3 people could rent one of those for even cheaper than a 2 bedroom apartment. I'd def be interested in that!

I'm sure you also noticed the lack of any parking. It's terrible. I often notice bulletin boards on campus advertising for roommates, asking within your stated price range, so it is possible. Boca's expensive in general, though. The city won't even allow a Wal-Mart to be built. But there's one in Delray!

I'm sure you also noticed the lack of any parking. It's terrible. I often notice bulletin boards on campus advertising for roommates, asking within your stated price range, so it is possible. Boca's expensive in general, though. The city won't even allow a Wal-Mart to be built. But there's one in Delray!

Actually, they told us that the med students are getting special parking spots in front of the Med School. One less thing to worry about.

Boy do I feel silly after making the list of oos people.

Boy do I feel silly after making the list of oos people.

I wouldn't feel bad about this if FAU is where you really want to go, but that's correct, it started at the end of 2009. Once you matriculate into a post-secondary education program (basically any UG program, master's, etc.) you remain OOS for your whole time if you began that way.

In order to change to Florida residency you have to prove by other means your intent to establish residency for one year. This doesn't include a lease while you're a student. It does include car registration, voter's registration and housing/property purchased. But you have to prove this was done for one year outside of school, i.e. working a job and not being in school.

there are only 4 interview days left open? this does not seem good for us lower stat ppl.

Bump to start the countdown for the April 5th interviewees!

3 days until I find out if I get to ascend to the level of accepted medical student or stay in waitlist limbo :xf:

Just got the Acceptance Packet in the mail today and I can now substantiate the rumors for the Charter Class Scholarship. There is a $12,500 annual scholarship contingent upon "making satisfactory progress toward graduation." I'll be accepting my offer within the next few days. No matter what else happens this cycle, the program at FAU will certainly be hard to turn down.

Good luck tomorrow for all those people waiting to hear back!

Good luck bushido brown and the rest of you April 5th and 7th interviewers.

well I've heard before that where there is a wal-mart property values go down. I don't think its a negative thing to not have a wal-mart and actually advocate for keeping walmarts out for that very reason.

I think if they have a target though its ok.

Boston was that way. Target was there but no walmart. Had to drive down to quincy if you wanted a walmart. But it didn't affect us too much. I mean target had everything we needed as did the other stores around town and grocery stores. Why would anyone want a walmart knowing it could have negative impacts as has happened to be the case in the past.

What kind of a ridiculous claim with no factual basis of whatsoever is that? It's one thing to make/quote a stereotypic statement, it's another to use it as grounds for ur argument, dont u think? Do walmart really cause property value to go down or walmart tends to situate their stores in low-income and low property-value cities? Walmart's PR need to do a better job with its image....lol

Hi, to bring this forum back to discussion on FAU, I was wondering what sort of turn around times people have been receiving lately between when their preliminary review is complete and they are invited for an interview.

I submitted my AMCAS in early April and secondary this past weekend and went from being under preliminary review on Monday to "preliminary review completed" yesterday evening. Extremely quick turn around on the review.

Does the application status change from "preliminary review completed" to something about an interview invite when they sent an invite?

Those of you tracking stats, I am OOS, 32, 3.80+ overall and science. Not sure if there is even a slight glimmer of hope for an OOS to get an interview invite at this point in time. But I am trying to stay hopeful!!!!

Last edited:
ahh ive been on prelim complete for 5 weeks now. too late i think now... good luck to whoever does get invited here on out. the caribbean seems to be in my near future

Good Luck to everyone refreshing their screens every 2 seconds to find out if anyone has been called!

Hi, to bring this forum back to discussion on FAU, I was wondering what sort of turn around times people have been receiving lately between when their preliminary review is complete and they are invited for an interview.

I submitted my AMCAS in early April and secondary this past weekend and went from being under preliminary review on Monday to "preliminary review completed" yesterday evening. Extremely quick turn around on the review.

Does the application status change from "preliminary review completed" to something about an interview invite when they sent an invite?

Those of you tracking stats, I am OOS, 32, 3.80+ overall and science. Not sure if there is even a slight glimmer of hope for an OOS to get an interview invite at this point in time. But I am trying to stay hopefully!!!!

Hey Vandal

I am in a similar spot as you (except that I am IS) so hopefully this helps. I submitted the primary on 4/7, completed the secondary on 4/8, got preliminary review started and finished on the same day 4/13 and just yesterday 4/20 got an interview invite.

Stats: IS, 32 and 3.7 overall and science

So pretty much it took about a week but it might take a little longer for you since you are OOS so keep the hopes up!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Accepted :):):):) Almost did not know how to react when I spoke to Dr. Hinkley on the phone ahhh

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!

Just got home and found out I was hit with the waitlist hammer :(

I'm going to take this as life teaching me a lesson in patience (something I know I definitely lack). Good luck to the rest of your interviewing!

Last edited:

From my experience in undergrad, whatever you are classified as when you enroll is what you carry all the way through your program. I had a buddy that dealt with starting here and having his parents move after and he still paid OOS tuition.

I wonder when the next round of interviews are being granted?

I wonder when the next round of interviews are being granted?

One just went out on Tuesday (4/19), so I assume the next round will be either the next or following Tuesday. I noticed a while back that the invites seem to be coming on Tuesdays consistently. That being said, I doubt I'll see one at this point, being OOS and all.

Complete: 4/8
Prelim Review Started + Complete 4/13

One just went out on Tuesday (4/19), so I assume the next round will be either the next or following Tuesday. I noticed a while back that the invites seem to be coming on Tuesdays consistently. That being said, I doubt I'll see one at this point, being OOS and all.

Complete: 4/8
Prelim Review Started + Complete 4/13

I was prelimed around the same time, also OOS, and no word here....starting to think that interview invite won't be coming down the pike....sigh

Just have to keep waiting I guess

Anyone received an interview invite recently?

I just got one five minutes ago. Anyways, there ar three days left on the calendar: 5/19, 5/24, 5/26.

Thanks so much for the info!

Any idea how many interview spots were left from the dates that you could see?

Also looks like you're in-state, right?

Thanks so much for the info!

Any idea how many interview spots were left from the dates that you could see?

Also looks like you're in-state, right?

Glad to help. The calendar gives you a breakdown of what days are available for interviews but not how many spots are availbale for any particular day. I am IS amd my stats, even though not baller, are a few pages back. Hope this helps!

10 students interview on each date. When I signed up for my interview date, there were no dates past April... So, as time passes, they have been adding more dates. In addition, once May 15th hits, CES COM will have a better idea of the retention of those who they accepted and may determine how much longer to interview then. However, for those of you who still haven't heard back, I wouldn't wait to send updates and let them know how great of a "fit" you are to CES COM's team-based, PBL curriculum and patient-centered clinical rotations!

I hope this helps! Good luck to everyone with an interview coming up! Get ready to be impressed. I hope you will have the option of joining the inaugural class at FAU!!!!!

In addition, once May 15th hits, CES COM will have a better idea of the retention of those who they accepted and may determine how much longer to interview then.

That's a very good point.

i do however think except for the OOSers, a good percent of the accepted class will stay. I think the OOS spots may open up some though unless they offer scholarship to them.

Remember 15% of the class at the maximum can be Out-of-State, this means that if they run out of qualified, attractive OOS candidates to accept, they can easily accept more ISers. :)

Of course, I am from OOS and hope they are able to line up scholarships for us! But, I absolutely love this school and will most likely attend over other schools that I'm currently on the WL even if the price tag is not reduced. I am curious as to whether other OOSers feel the same way or where this school stands compared to others they have interviewed at!

Last edited:
After being preliminary review started for what felt like a century (3/7), my status finally changed on 4/19 to complete. At this point, whatever happens happens but it feels good that at least someone LOOKED at my application. I would love to go to FAU for med school...only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.