2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello. I was accepted to this institution. I was looking at the calendar and was wondering if anyone knows if they get a summer break? It seems you start in july, then get a thanksgiving followed by christmas. You get about a week of spring break. All it says is last day of MS1 students is June 28. The other years end sometime in May. Do first years just not get a summer break?

Members don't see this ad.

Complete mid July haven’t heard a peep and I am also IS. Would love to go here but I think chances are pretty low at this point

Complete 7/1 and same situation :( why make me wait almost 9 months to probably reject me lol

Reactions: 2 users
Hello. I was accepted to this institution. I was looking at the calendar and was wondering if anyone knows if they get a summer break? It seems you start in july, then get a thanksgiving followed by christmas. You get about a week of spring break. All it says is last day of MS1 students is June 28. The other years end sometime in May. Do first years just not get a summer break?
You should be getting a summer break, during the phase 1 debrief I was in earlier in the year it said the incoming class would have 6-8 weeks of break. I'm not sure if that has changed or not, but there should be a break.

Members don't see this ad :)
was this the 2023 calendar? i know this year is the first year we’re starting a month early so maybe everything is moved up a month and hopefully we get out may 28 rather than june 28

Reactions: 1 user
MCW is moving to a new curriculum, so the schedule for first year is very tentative

was this the 2023 calendar? i know this year is the first year we’re starting a month early so maybe everything is moved up a month and hopefully we get out may 28 rather than june 28
The current M1 class will be getting out before Memorial Day, but I am not sure about the incoming class for next year. Since it's more of an accelerate curriculum it is possible they may get out later, but I'd bet (and hope) that a summer break is still built in

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if MCW accepts letters of intent / update letters ?
They accept both in the portal. However LOI is historically used for those who are WL post interview and have another acceptance elsewhere so ur basically saying “I really want to go here and will turn down my other acceptance to do so.” Some people send them without having another acceptance but I’d imagine that would carry even less weight than an LOI already does. I’m not sure where you stand but I wouldn’t send an LOI without having already interviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t mean to say this flippantly, I’m sure on some level every has felt the frustration some of us are feeling now, nor am I saying I am entitled to deserving anything, but does anyone else grapple with the fact that this process.. just feels corrupt sometimes?

Not the best choice of wording maybe, and don’t mean to sound sour, as a suggestion like this isn’t new per say, was just curious what others thought.

Don’t come for me.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
I don’t mean to say this flippantly, I’m sure on some level every has felt the frustration some of us are feeling now, nor am I saying I am entitled to deserving anything, but does anyone else grapple with the fact that this process.. just feels corrupt sometimes?

Not the best choice of wording maybe, and don’t mean to sound sour, as a suggestion like this isn’t new per say, was just curious what others thought.

Don’t come for me.
I am a reapplicant who got in this cycle and I understand how you are feeling. I am sure there are corrupt sides of this process, whether it's nepotism or whatever, but I think the majority of "unfairness" in this process comes from demand/supply ratio. There are so many people who want to be doctors while the positions stay limited every year. Two or three cycles ago, rosalind franklin admitted that they could not review everyone's applications and that got me thinking, huh I wonder if the incident happens more than we think. This is why I think luck plays a role...and we just need to work on our objective aspects such as grades, ECs, and essays to somehow maximize the luck.

Mind you, my stats did not change at all second cycle (I actually retook MCAT and only improved by a point LOL), similar hours, (hopefully) better essays. I got three MD IIs last cycle and three MD IIs this cycle. I do think my essays were better, but I am sure my previous essays weren't trash knowing I got three interviews. I am super grateful ofc, but I now understad that this process has so many uncontrollable factors that we always should remind ourselves that Rs do not mean we cannot be doctors and there are many things that happen without our control. Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users

Don’t come for me.
All I could gather after years of seeing people enter into this admissions process and having just gone through it myself has been that it is just hilariously random and often makes no sense at all. It is all just a matter of statistics. There are so many people that want to become doctors, and so little seats. Honestly I think it is far more straightforward for schools than we make it out to be. Either we are competent to become doctors or we are not, and it is basically just a lottery system among those who are. Maybe my interviewer thought my hair looked weird, had some irrational bias against me, or took something I said the wrong way. None of these things are really in our control. But one thing that is in our control is our grit. You've got it, my friend. Please keep your head up, future doctor! Open to PM's if you'd like

Just withdrew my A from CW. Best of luck everyone.

I am a reapplicant who got in this cycle and I understand how you are feeling. I am sure there are corrupt sides of this process, whether it's nepotism or whatever, but I think the majority of "unfairness" in this process comes from demand/supply ratio. There are so many people who want to be doctors while the positions stay limited every year. Two or three cycles ago, rosalind franklin admitted that they could not review everyone's applications and that got me thinking, huh I wonder if the incident happens more than we think. This is why I think luck plays a role...and we just need to work on our objective aspects such as grades, ECs, and essays to somehow maximize the luck.

Mind you, my stats did not change at all second cycle (I actually retook MCAT and only improved by a point LOL), similar hours, (hopefully) better essays. I got three MD IIs last cycle and three MD IIs this cycle. I do think my essays were better, but I am sure my previous essays weren't trash knowing I got three interviews. I am super grateful ofc, but I now understad that this process has so many uncontrollable factors that we always should remind ourselves that Rs do not mean we cannot be doctors and there are many things that happen without our control. Best of luck!

Yea, make no mistake, this is something I’m sure we have all talked to all our circles about and thought about ad nauseam. I’ve heard of the Rosalind Franklin piece. Personally I’ve actually done a lot of work with them and it hadn’t helped much (beware their SMP by the way). I’m only speculating, the volume is indeed the biggest factor, but as for the arbitrary piece I can only take my best private guesses. I just wish so many parts weren’t commercialized. Just good for thought anyway.

Congrats! Did they give you the same dates?
Yup, just March 30th and 31st as far as I saw!

Of note, the email said that these remaining interview slots are on a first come, first serve basis, and that if no remaining slots remain, you can request to be added to the [interview] waitlist. So it sounds like they might actually be sending out more II's than they have slots for on these last two days? Idk for sure though

Yup, just March 30th and 31st as far as I saw!

Of note, the email said that these remaining interview slots are on a first come, first serve basis, and that if no remaining slots remain, you can request to be added to the [interview] waitlist. So it sounds like they might actually be sending out more II's than they have slots for on these last two days? Idk for sure thoug
So that just means we need to neurotically check our emails lmfao, congrats though! Thanks for the update!

Also II today! IS. Could not be more thrilled.

Reactions: 5 users
II early this morning, OOS! Dates available were this Thursday and Friday.

Still haven't heard anything since the update in January, praying for an II this week

Reactions: 4 users
do you guys think there is still a chance? i wonder how many open interview spots are left

Reactions: 1 users
do you guys think there is still a chance? i wonder how many open interview spots are left
Honestly no, I'm under the impression the IIs in the past few days have been in response to other people turning down the invite so the odds of there being much more turnover in the next couple days is low imo (but not 0% tbf)

Is anybody willing to shed any light on their interview experience with MCW? Unfortunately the interview page here on SDN doesn't offer much useful information. I've heard it's pretty chill, but just wanted to ask on this thread?

Is anybody willing to shed any light on their interview experience with MCW? Unfortunately the interview page here on SDN doesn't offer much useful information. I've heard it's pretty chill, but just wanted to ask on this thread?
It is very chill. I had two interviews, one faculty and one student. They are open-file interviews and resembled the other medical school interviews that I have done this cycle. From what I remember, reviewing your primary and secondary application should be plenty of preparation, and it was very conversational. PM me if you have a specific question I can help you with.

It is very chill. I had two interviews, one faculty and one student. They are open-file interviews and resembled the other medical school interviews that I have done this cycle. From what I remember, reviewing your primary and secondary application should be plenty of preparation, and it was very conversational. PM me if you have a specific question I can help you with.
Appreciate it, thank you!

Come on mcw I’m waiting by my phone for this II

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! I’m on the waitlist for the GB campus and it is easily my number one choice. I’m GB born and raised and want to practice here when I graduate. I sent in a letter of intent about a month after my interview date/being placed on waitlist. That was back in late January. In that letter of intent I briefly mentioned the new volunteering position and work experience I would be starting. I volunteer as a reading coach for a local elementary school. And I started as a reproductive healthcare assistant for Planned Parenthood where I am giving injections, doing venipuncture and getting tons of hands in clinical experience. However since both the volunteer position and my RHA job at Planned Parenthood hadn’t started l, I couldn’t write about my experience. All this to say, is it worth it to send an update letter going more in depth about my role and meaningful interactions I’ve had with both positions? I know I most likely won’t hear back until May anyways. I just feel like January with my letter of intent, to may is a long time. When they review mr application again in May I want them to have my recent information. Thoughts?