2010-2011 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed recently and I just graduated a couple of days ago I was wondering if I should submit an update with the grades that I got this semester before they review my file or if its just a waste of time and it might delay the review of my app? what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

it wouldnt hurt to send in grades as update before they review the application, especially if the grades are good! I just sent in my grades as update as I also got them yesterday and interviewed yesterday too

I interviewed recently and I just graduated a couple of days ago I was wondering if I should submit an update with the grades that I got this semester before they review my file or if its just a waste of time and it might delay the review of my app? what do you guys think?

If I had 13-15 credit hours and got strait A's I would include it as a supplement for my update (that's me) but so long as you did well I don't think a grad update is a bad idea. Unfortunately for me, I'm not in classes. If you graduated with honors you could include that too! Also, remind them of any EC's you've been up to lately and I think you'll have a pretty solid update :). Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
it wouldnt hurt to send in grades as update before they review the application, especially if the grades are good! I just sent in my grades as update as I also got them yesterday and interviewed yesterday too

If I had 13-15 credit hours and got strait A's I would include it as a supplement for my update (that's me) but so long as you did well I don't think a grad update is a bad idea. Unfortunately for me, I'm not in classes. If you graduated with honors you could include that too! Also, remind them of any EC's you've been up to lately and I think you'll have a pretty solid update :). Good Luck

ok guys thanks, I'll get to it then :)

Hey guys!! Just wanted to say that there has been some movement on the alternate list as I was accepted yesterday :D very excited!! Good luck to those waiting!! May 15th is close by :)

My interview is scheduled for May 19th.

Am I interviewing for a WL spot?

waiting is stupid.

has anyone heard anything yet from those that were supposed to hear today?... im on the same boat as you missturtle

I just checked on the status page and I was placed on the alternate list. Check yours good luck!

I haven't checked the whole thread but has anyone been rejected post interview?

My interview is scheduled for May 19th.

Am I interviewing for a WL spot?

waiting is stupid.

I just interviewed yesterday, and someone asked that same question to Dr. Hinkley. His response was that he expected around half of the spots in the class to be vacated by the 15th. They are interviewing until the end of May, so I doubt highly they'd be doing that just to put 50-60 people on a waitlist.

@missturtle: I believe someone said they were rejected post-interview. They mentioned something about being a non-traditional applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't checked the whole thread but has anyone been rejected post interview?

Yes as blow flu indicated, one person did indicate such. They didn't expand on what they meant by being very non traditional. But hopefully that won't be you. I will :xf: for good news for you. :)

Wish you a lot of :luck:

Wow they expect half the class to give up spots?? Dayum. I wonder how many of that will be in state vs. out of state.

Just got an email from Dr. Hinkley as well describing the decision and how the adcom rated me. He was pretty adamant that the assignment to the waitlist was temporary (at least that's what he said in my email).

Last edited:
Just got an email from Dr. Hinkley as well describing the decision and how the adcom rated me. He was pretty adamant that the assignment to the waitlist was temporary (at least that's what he said in my email).

I'm afraid its a standard e-mail because mine said the same, and some other people have raised that question before us.

Just withdrew my acceptance and scholarship. Hope one of you guys gets em.

Withdrew today for another FL school (still getting out of the midwest!) Hope my OOS spot goes to one of you who have so patiently and passionately been waiting! Best of luck everyone! :thumbup:

I got in off the list today! Dean hinkley called me at 1:28pm EST I was at my job and everyone had a meltdown. I am unbelievably happy and excited.

Don't give up hope y'all. Things happen when you least expect them to!

Good Luck everyone still waiting!

I'm oos and I interviewed on April 26 and was put on the AL May 4th btw if anyone wanted to know

Last edited:
I got in off the list today! Dean Dodson called me at 1:28pm EST I was at my job and everyone had a meltdown. I am unbelievably happy and excited.

Don't give up hope y'all. Things happen when you least expect them to!

Good Luck everyone still waiting!

I'm oos and I interviewed on April 26 and was put on the AL May 4th btw if anyone wanted to know

congrats

Im interviewing May 19th, and staying at Wyndam Garden Hotel (free shuttle to FAU). Let me know if any fellow SDNers are doing the same

So is it safe to assume they will not be giving out any acceptances over the weekend? A few spots should have opened up in the past couple days.

So is it safe to assume they will not be giving out any acceptances over the weekend? A few spots should have opened up in the past couple days.

it looks like they are waiting until tomorrow, all the Florida threads have been really quiet I wonder if people are waiting until last minute to make a decision or they have just decided to keep their spots :(

it looks like they are waiting until tomorrow, all the Florida threads have been really quiet I wonder if people are waiting until last minute to make a decision or they have just decided to keep their spots :(

You do know this is an administrative office and not a bunch of on-call docs, right? I would expect them to function on business days only, just like the vast majority of administrative offices in every industry. My point is that you should not be reading into this at all. We'll see plenty of movement in the coming days.

Last edited:
You do know this is an administrative office and not a bunch of on-call docs, right? I would expect them to function on business days only, just like the vast majority of administrative offices in every industry. My point is that you should not be reading into this at all. We'll see plenty of movement in the coming days.

I did not expect them to do anything this weekend I was answering to another person who was expecting to hear over the weekend. What I was referring to was that there are not a lot of people on SDN posting on this thread, which doesn't usually have anything to do with office hours. Next time take the time to read before you post a reply

I did not expect them to do anything this weekend I was answering to another person who was expecting to hear over the weekend. What I was referring to was that there are not a lot of people on SDN posting on this thread, which doesn't usually have anything to do with office hours. Next time take the time to read before you post a reply

Agreed with above. Seems like missturtle was just speculating. Not sure why the harsh response back to her.

Im interviewing May 19th, and staying at Wyndam Garden Hotel (free shuttle to FAU). Let me know if any fellow SDNers are doing the same

I'm interviewing on the 19th as well! I'm an FAU alum, feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Easy there, I just didn't multi-quote. I actually did read both (consider that I read your post that quotes the other post). No reason to take things so personally. I'll edit my post to reflect my original intention.

Agreed with above. Seems like missturtle was just speculating. Not sure why the harsh response back to her.

I've edited my post to add the other post I wanted to address. Look, I pointed out some facts and used some logic to show that it's a bit ridiculous to expect any movement during the weekend. Was hoping they could relax a little and enjoy the rest of their weekend. I wasn't harsh, just matter of fact.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I wasn't posting because I expected any movement over the weekend. I was just curious as to whether there was movement. Just a little curiosity, I did not mean to start anything lol. Hopefully there will be movement in the next few days. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I wasn't posting because I expected any movement over the weekend. I was just curious as to whether there was movement. Just a little curiosity, I did not mean to start anything lol. Hopefully there will be movement in the next few days. Good luck everyone.

Haha, no need to be sorry. You started nothing (I screwed up when quoting posts). And I thought you WERE worrying about that, and hoped to shake it out of ya. Glad to hear I was mistaken. Good luck to you, my friend.

Don't worry I don't think you started much, tensions tend to run high around this time and I guess some of us have a hard time expressing ourselves in writing so misunderstandings happen but no big deal :D good luck to you too!

Easy there, I just didn't multi-quote. I actually did read both (consider that I read your post that quotes the other post). No reason to take things so personally. I'll edit my post to reflect my original intention.

I still don't like your edited post lol but like I said before no big deal good luck

Hey guys - just wanted to let you all know that I officially withdrew my spot and scholarship from FAU in favor of another school. Good luck, and hope one of you on SDN gets my seat! :luck::xf:

Hey guys - just wanted to let you all know that I officially withdrew my spot and scholarship from FAU in favor of another school. Good luck, and hope one of you on SDN gets my seat! :luck::xf:

Thanks good luck! I find it hard to believe, no one here got accepted today????

Thanks good luck! I find it hard to believe, no one here got accepted today????

Well, they are still interviewing until the 27th, so perhaps they are waiting for the whole interview pool to be established before making more aggressive WL movement. Just a theory.

Well, they are still interviewing until the 27th, so perhaps they are waiting for the whole interview pool to be established before making more aggressive WL movement. Just a theory.

Could be but its kind of risky on their part because as people get acceptances they might start dropping wait list spots. Oh well more waiting!

Could be but its kind of risky on their part because as people get acceptances they might start dropping wait list spots. Oh well more waiting!

Or at the very least they could be waiting til Wednesday. it seems that they give decisions on Wednesdays when they have their decision days. So either this wednesday or next wednesday.

I got an e-mail this morning telling me that I am nearing the top of the waiting list. They asked if I was still interested and said they needed a response today or they would move on to the next person. Hopefully there will be some movement soon.

I got an e-mail this morning telling me that I am nearing the top of the waiting list. They asked if I was still interested and said they needed a response today or they would move on to the next person. Hopefully there will be some movement soon.

I'm liking the sound of all this movement!

I got the acceptance call a few hours after the e-mail. I'm very excited, I hopefully will be making a decision within the next week. Good luck to you all, hopefully you guys will get the same call soon.

I got the acceptance call a few hours after the e-mail. I'm very excited, I hopefully will be making a decision within the next week. Good luck to you all, hopefully you guys will get the same call soon.

Congrats! I'm sure many people are happy to hear about the waitlist movement. You IS or OOS?

Thank you. I'm IS, interviewed on April 14, waitlisted april 27. They had a full class when they made my decision on the 27.

Any OOS people getting close to withdrawing their acceptance? It doesn't seem like there has been too much movement with OOS people. I hope a little more starts to happen soon!

Wait-listed... goddammit. I have what was probably one of the best interviews of my life and still nothing.

Wait-listed... goddammit. I have what was probably one of the best interviews of my life and still nothing.

Don't be hard on yourself, the class has been full for almost a month. If you did well you will be high on the alternate list.

I was put on the alternate list today.
Does anyone know how their alternate list works? Is it the same as FIU's (you get ranked...ect)?

I was also officially given a seat at FIU yesterday...so unless FAU gives me a great incentive I will stay at FIU.

I promise I will only be sending positive thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for all my future colleagues.
Good luck to all of you!

I was put on the alternate list today.
Does anyone know how their alternate list works? Is it the same as FIU's (you get ranked...ect)?

I was also officially given a seat at FIU yesterday...so unless FAU gives me a great incentive I will stay at FIU.

I promise I will only be sending positive thoughts and keep my fingers crossed for all my future colleagues.
Good luck to all of you!

FAU ranks the alternate list and takes the next person in line when a seat opens IIRC.

At this point, has anyone heard of anyone getting in directly after the interview, ie not off the alternate list? Dr. Hinkley said we weren't interviewing just for the alternate list but it seems to me that all acceptances are now from the wait list.

At this point, has anyone heard of anyone getting in directly after the interview, ie not off the alternate list? Dr. Hinkley said we weren't interviewing just for the alternate list but it seems to me that all acceptances are now from the wait list.

It certainly seems that way.

I got an e-mail yesterday evening from FAU. From what the wording implies, my application went straight to the alternate list. I guess there may a little bit of comfort in the fact that the wording in no way hinted that my application was secondary to someone else's (a slight improvment from the normal 'we didn't accept you yet because the other guys are better'). I'm keeping my fingers crossed; I might calm down a bit once I've been assigned a spot on the list :)

Status
Not open for further replies.