2010-2011 Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine at FAU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if they video tape lectures like other schools do?

I suspect they don't because they made a big point of dissuading people who want to just sit in the back of the class and not participate. But I guess they might make it available in case someone has to miss a class due to illness.

I specifically asked this and the answer is yes they do videotape.

Members don't see this ad.

Received my finaid offer and saw something was missing, so I called the finaid office. Turns out they have nothing on the table as far as getting any scholarship funds for the 10 OOS spots. She says they're working on finding some, but isn't this kinda late in the game? :annoyed: Very disheartening when I'm already sitting on a little bit from another school.

interview invite today.
scheduled for tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re Financial Aid for OoS, during the interview on the 29th, Dr. Hinkley mentioned that they expected to know something more definite about scholarships for OoS students on April 15th.

Thanks for the videotape info, LadyDoc!

Last edited:
I was thanking LadyDoc2010 for letting me know the FAU does plan to videotape lectures.

Well, to be fair, they told us that at our interviews. That's why I didn't turn in my scholarship application until a few days ago, because I knew they didn't have OOS funds yet and so they wouldn't have met to discuss OOS charter class scholarships yet.

If the school ends up not being able to find as much OOS scholarship money as they had hoped (or any at all), it could possibly lead to some of the OOSers withdrawing from their acceptances if they have other options.

| congrats, guys!!
v

Yeah, he said mid-April at our interviews. The woman in financial aid I spoke with today said they didn't even have anything in the pipeline yet. As much as I wish everyone to be informed, I hope maybe there's just something she doesn't know about yet. With the cost, I can see some OOS going elsewhere without finaid, but not everyone has more than one acceptance. Hopefully they'll have some news soon.

Congrats to everyone who got interviews! It's very conversational, and they'll want to talk about your hobbies as well as your AMCAS info. Have a great time and enjoy! :thumbup:

what videotape? Who is this directed to? I'm curious.

And hopefully they give you guys scholarships.

Congrats to the two B's for their FAU interviews.

Blowflu,

are you in state or out of state? For some reason i think i remember you in a new york school thread. But i could just be mixing u up with someone else with a name that starts with B.

Ha, I've seen you in nearly every school thread I've applied to Guju. I'm in state. 3.71 cGPA (forgot the sGPA number, was around 3.7) with my best single MCAT @ 28Q.

hi there! for all of you who have interviewed here...any advice? any scary questions we should try to prepare for? :) thanks for any responses!:luck:

by what everyone has posted, seems like its just a relaxed conversational interview... everyone says to make sure you know your application/essays/ecs very well and be prepared to discuss them.

anyone think any more invites for interview will go out this week? you think they're just scoring each app and going straight down the list?

has anyone received more information about the FAU Graduate Grant available? It says first come first serve based on FAFSA. I feel like anyone who doesn't have a high paying job would be eligible, as parents and asset information was optional on the FAFSA for FAU. Not that I have any significant assests lol. has anyone received it?

by what everyone has posted, seems like its just a relaxed conversational interview... everyone says to make sure you know your application/essays/ecs very well and be prepared to discuss them.

anyone think any more invites for interview will go out this week? you think they're just scoring each app and going straight down the list?

I believe that is exactly what they are doing, at least that what it seems like from the information on their website and from what they have explained to other people that have called to ask.

Antsy for any sort of news today. No changes in application status online, but still hoping. Has anyone else gotten any post-interview news today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Antsy for any sort of news today. No changes in application status online, but still hoping. Has anyone else gotten any post-interview news today?

The committee meets in the afternoon, IIR Dr. Hinkley correctly. The acceptance phone calls start going out in the evening around 6PM and some may even come tomorrow morning.

hey what days do the committee meet? is it every wednesday and they review the previous thursday and tuesday applicants? and then they call on wednesday night?

Im dropping my interview tomorrow. I dont see any reason that this school will impress me more than UCF, and I dont want money to cloud my decision on the best place for me to be successful. I hope it goes out to someone who really needs/wants it. Maybe to my friend on campus who has not been accepted, or to my SDN friends still waiting on that acceptance.

Good Luck to everyone.
-BA

Im dropping my interview tomorrow. I dont see any reason that this school will impress me more than UCF, and I dont want money to cloud my decision on the best place for me to be successful. I hope it goes out to someone who really needs/wants it. Maybe to my friend on campus who has not been accepted, or to my SDN friends still waiting on that acceptance.

Good Luck to everyone.
-BA

hey when was your interview scheduled?

My status changed literally a minute ago. I'm in. I don't even know how to react...

F******** PARTY TONIGHT!!!

:banana:

Status update says I am in!

OOS.

"Accepted" means I'm in right? It doesn't mean that they have accepted and are still processing my application, right? (I feel so paranoid right now since its my first and only acceptance.)

Status update says I am in!

OOS.

"Accepted" means I'm in right? It doesn't mean that they have accepted and are still processing my application, right? (I feel so paranoid right now since its my first and only acceptance.)

Same here!

The committee meets in the afternoon, IIR Dr. Hinkley correctly. The acceptance phone calls start going out in the evening around 6PM and some may even come tomorrow morning.

Hey you interviewed with me on the 5th right? When is our committee supposed to meet and when should we be hearing back?

Hope all is well. xx :)

Called Dr. Hinkley and confirmed. He says I am in. Phew!

I am old and I don't have a FB account. I might have to get one to join in the fun. :D

BTW, those of you who are interviewing, I was thrown off by the "what would you do if you couldn't do medicine or law" (I am a lawyer) question.

I was also flustered by the "would you ever lie to a patient" question. I said maybe if I thought it would benefit their outcome. But Dr. Holland my interviewer countered with, shouldn't patients have all the info to make their decision. And I backed down to 99% of the time you must tell the truth because the patient ultimately decides on their care, but I gotta believe there is an exception to the rule.

I also recommend writing thank you notes.

Thought I'd throw that out there now that I don't think it will jinx my application. :D

I am old and I don't have a FB account. I might have to get one to join in the fun. :D

BTW, those of you who are interviewing, I was thrown off by the "what would you do if you couldn't do medicine or law" (I am a lawyer) question.

I was also flustered by the "would you ever lie to a patient" question. I said maybe if I thought it would benefit their outcome. But Dr. Holland my interviewer countered with, shouldn't patients have all the info to make their decision. And I backed down to 99% of the time you must tell the truth because the patient ultimately decides on their care, but I gotta believe there is an exception to the rule.

Thought I'd throw that out there now that I don't think it will jinx my application. :D

I didn't get any of those questions dude lol. Everyone's interview is different. I spent a good ten minutes talking to the doc about our unique workouts and why fitness is awesome.

Congrats by the way (and to everyone else who got accepted tonight) -- we're actually going to be doctors!!!

Congrats to you too, Aarsdam!!

And good luck to those still waiting. It feels great to not be waiting anymore and I hope everyone gets to feel this way.

Got the acceptance call tonight! Can someone type up the four scholarship questions and post them. I lost the form and want to type it up tonight and don't want to wait till hey email me another copy tomorrow. Thanks!

Got the acceptance call tonight! Can someone type up the four scholarship questions and post them. I lost the form and want to type it up tonight and don't want to wait till hey email me another copy tomorrow. Thanks!

haha I can do better--I scanned the form and have it as a pdf. PM me your email

As I was reading this I was thinking "I totally remember this guy!!!" Congrats on getting in. I interviewed on the same day as you and had a really strong feeling that you would be chosen. I had kind of an interesting interview too. I remember my interview started during the trip up the staircase, when I was short of breath and my interviewer asked how interested I was in the school. It sort of went like that from there hah.

Anyway, I got accepted today! The acceptance call was really great and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

A few thoughts though...

1: I wonder if any of the other california people from our interview day got in (I liked you guys)

2: Is there any information on how competitive us FAU students will be for residencies? (thinking kind of far ahead I guess)

I think that daisy was one of the Cali people. She mentioned wanting to go to USC on the interview day. If you have a choice I think it's good to ask which school will get you better residency options.

From what heard the biggest factor is your board scores. But I am sure school competitive will have at least a little weight.

Another thing is that as the charter class we have nothing but opportunities to start clubs and clinics at the school. That should look good on residency apps, right?

Oh, and congrats gator. Were you the one that wanted to be the cardiologist?

I think that daisy was one of the Cali people. She mentioned wanting to go to USC on the interview day. If you have a choice I think it's good to ask which school will get you better residency options.

From what heard the biggest factor is your board scores. But I am sure school competitive will have at least a little weight.

Another thing is that as the charter class we have nothing but opportunities to start clubs and clinics at the school. That should look good on residency apps, right?

Oh, and congrats gator. Were you the one that wanted to be the cardiologist?

Board scores are surely really important, but I'm sure there are a lot of politics involved in the process that give certain schools advantages. I'm glad that THIS is what I get to think about now though instead of hoping to get accepted.

Regardless, I'm stoked right now. I got the call while I was at work and it made the workday a little nicer.

I'm not really sure what my defining characteristic was. Maybe...at lunch I got up to get the napkins?

Hey you interviewed with me on the 5th right? When is our committee supposed to meet and when should we be hearing back?

Hope all is well. xx :)

We're supposed to be hearing from Dr. Hinkley next Wednesday, April 20th in the evening. It seems some people who have gotten on the waitlist didn't even get called, but their status had been updated online by the next day.

Board scores are surely really important, but I'm sure there are a lot of politics involved in the process that give certain schools advantages. I'm glad that THIS is what I get to think about now though instead of hoping to get accepted.

Regardless, I'm stoked right now. I got the call while I was at work and it made the workday a little nicer.

I'm not really sure what my defining characteristic was. Maybe...at lunch I got up to get the napkins?
Sleepygator888' so you were on my right during lunch?

Ugh, maybe I should get on this thing you young'ins call the facebook. So I can see what you all look like.

2: Is there any information on how competitive us FAU students will be for residencies? (thinking kind of far ahead I guess)

I asked my interviewer this. He said that he thought we would have the same opportunities as other schools in the area. He seemed fairly honest since he talked about something else he didn't like that FAU was doing.

As I was reading this I was thinking "I totally remember this guy!!!" Congrats on getting in. I interviewed on the same day as you and had a really strong feeling that you would be chosen. I had kind of an interesting interview too. I remember my interview started during the trip up the staircase, when I was short of breath and my interviewer asked how interested I was in the school. It sort of went like that from there hah.

Anyway, I got accepted today! The acceptance call was really great and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

A few thoughts though...

1: I wonder if any of the other california people from our interview day got in (I liked you guys)

I was the other CA girl (non Daisy) and I got the call yesterday as well! I'll be seeing you in August. :)

It looks like they have accepted at least 10 OOS students. I guess at this point, anyone from OOS offered an interview would be put on the wait-list. Oh well, what's meant to be, is meant to be.

Did anyone actually receive a confirmation/reply after sending the email to say you were accepting their offer of admission? I didn't, and I just don't want anything to go wrong :lame: How much would it suck if I'm expecting to go to FAU and in a month I find out that they gave away my spot because they didn't think I had accepted it

I did receive an email back. You should call and make sure they received your email.

what was it he didn't like that FAU was doing? You can PM me if u don't feel comfortable posting on the thread.
ladyDoc2010, I too would like to know what FAU is doing that your interviewer does not like.

please, do tell.

Re OOS acceptences:

I count 8 OOS Acceptances on this thread. Anyone know of any others?

Calitexarizohio
bconstant
Chastyre
fungirl
Suncrusher
rafster88
Dr. Cox
krispxzero (me)

Any accepted OOS not planning to take the acceptance?

krisp, its not so bad not being on facebook. And yep. that was me.

Also, I'm interested too, ladydoc.

It looks like they have accepted at least 10 OOS students. I guess at this point, anyone from OOS offered an interview would be put on the wait-list. Oh well, what's meant to be, is meant to be.

I may be making this up (I seem to recall hearing it at FIU), but schools can accept 10% more than their class size permits. So there's actually a whopping 11 OOSers who can get accepted.

For the in-staters, I know there's a scholarship meeting today sometime, anyone know if we're supposed to hear back about that tonight or anytime soon?

I may be making this up (I seem to recall hearing it at FIU), but schools can accept 10% more than their class size permits. So there's actually a whopping 11 OOSers who can get accepted.

For the in-staters, I know there's a scholarship meeting today sometime, anyone know if we're supposed to hear back about that tonight or anytime soon?

For out of staters: Any idea if there's hope for us for scholarship money?

Related: Any in-staters interested in a June wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.