2009-2010 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for those of you who got accepted off wait list -- does your status on the status check website change?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when the last day of interviews are for Buffalo? It seems like the number of SDNers interviewing here lately has plummeted dramatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the last day of interviews are for Buffalo? It seems like the number of SDNers interviewing here lately has plummeted dramatically.

I would think that most schools around the country are done interviewing...Buffalo should be done already, I thought.

so is anyone set on going to Buffalo yet? I would love to meet my future classmates :) GL to everyone on the waitlist too!:luck:

If any current students or people that are reading this might know, I am looking to find out what areas students commonly live in/what areas are nice and safe.

Do people live right around the school? Further in town? Both? If anyone has streets or neighborhood names so I can start looking around, it would be really helpful. I am planning on visiting next week to get a second feel for the city itself to help decide and I was hoping to maybe check out what sort of living options or neighborhoods would be realistic to live in while there.

Thank you kindly!

If any current students or people that are reading this might know, I am looking to find out what areas students commonly live in/what areas are nice and safe.

Do people live right around the school? Further in town? Both? If anyone has streets or neighborhood names so I can start looking around, it would be really helpful. I am planning on visiting next week to get a second feel for the city itself to help decide and I was hoping to maybe check out what sort of living options or neighborhoods would be realistic to live in while there.

Thank you kindly!

The area directly around the school is dangerous. Some people live in this "University District", but it is largely consumed by unofficial frat houses. There is a high incidence of home invasion (by gunpoint and knife), mugging, and murder. If anybody tells you this is an exaggeration, don't believe them.

Amherst is within a 5 (or less) minute drive. It is one of the safest towns in America. Many, many, many students live throughout Amherst. Almost any area in Amherst will be perfectly safe. Williamsville and Snyder are also very close (5-10 minutes) and incredibly safe. The village of Williamsville is very popular for grad students. It is a 10-15 minute drive and has a quaint feel. In the village you will find excellent restaurants, awesome coffee shops, clothing shops, and nice parks.

If you are an urbanite, then check out downtown living. We having amazing (and very cheap) lofts downtown). Check out the IS Lofts, Oak School lofts, Granite Work lofts, and Holling Lofts to name a few. Most of them have off-street gated parking (for FREE) and AMAZING interiors. It is about a 15 minute drive. Almost ALL of the affiliated hospitals and research centers are downtown....very convenient for 3/4 year. Rent for lofts are 550-1200. My current loft has granite counters, free plasma TV, HUGE bathroom, gated parking, white ipod floors....for a whopping 800 (including heat, electric, internet).

Everything in Buffalo is a close drive. No traffic/rush hour. Avoid living right next to the medical school and you will be fine.

Use craigslist.com to find apartments in Amherst/Williamsville/Snyder. Use artvoice.com for downtown apartments. Google the loft names for more info.

Good luck.

I don't know how the apartments are but the area is nice. Close to north campus so about 15 minute drive to south campus.

Last edited:
I don't know how the apartments are but the area is nice. Close to north campus so about 15 minute drive to south campus.

Really? Seems closer to South Campus to me. Are there perhaps two neighborhoods known as Parkside? I'm looking at a place near Delaware Park.

The area directly around the school is dangerous. Some people live in this "University District", but it is largely consumed by unofficial frat houses. There is a high incidence of home invasion (by gunpoint and knife), mugging, and murder. If anybody tells you this is an exaggeration, don't believe them.

Amherst is within a 5 (or less) minute drive. It is one of the safest towns in America. Many, many, many students live throughout Amherst. Almost any area in Amherst will be perfectly safe. Williamsville and Snyder are also very close (5-10 minutes) and incredibly safe. The village of Williamsville is very popular for grad students. It is a 10-15 minute drive and has a quaint feel. In the village you will find excellent restaurants, awesome coffee shops, clothing shops, and nice parks.

If you are an urbanite, then check out downtown living. We having amazing (and very cheap) lofts downtown). Check out the IS Lofts, Oak School lofts, Granite Work lofts, and Holling Lofts to name a few. Most of them have off-street gated parking (for FREE) and AMAZING interiors. It is about a 15 minute drive. Almost ALL of the affiliated hospitals and research centers are downtown....very convenient for 3/4 year. Rent for lofts are 550-1200. My current loft has granite counters, free plasma TV, HUGE bathroom, gated parking, white ipod floors....for a whopping 800 (including heat, electric, internet).

Everything in Buffalo is a close drive. No traffic/rush hour. Avoid living right next to the medical school and you will be fine.

Use craigslist.com to find apartments in Amherst/Williamsville/Snyder. Use artvoice.com for downtown apartments. Google the loft names for more info.

Good luck.

I live in Buffalo and I echo this 100%. Downtown isn't bad at all especially if you live in Allentown (my best suggestion). There is a bus every half an hour to south campus and a train you can take to south campus (every fifteen minutes) so transportation isn't a problem. My biggest complaint is that I spend too much money at the bars and restaurants there!

I'm warning that you're nuts if you live around South Campus. Students have been robbed, raped, murdered, shot, beaten everything you can think of there. You'll be perfectly safe going to medical school (the campus itself is pretty safe), but you DO NOT want to live in the surrounding neighborhood. It is really not an exaggeration.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Buffalo and I echo this 100%. Downtown isn't bad at all especially if you live in Allentown (my best suggestion). There is a bus every half an hour to south campus and a train you can take to south campus (every fifteen minutes) so transportation isn't a problem. My biggest complaint is that I spend too much money at the bars and restaurants there!

I'm warning that you're nuts if you live around South Campus. Students have been robbed, raped, murdered, shot, beaten everything you can think of there. You'll be perfectly safe going to medical school (the campus itself is pretty safe), but you DO NOT want to live in the surrounding neighborhood. It is really not an exaggeration.
If I get in off the waitlist, I was going to live in Collegiate Village. They have a shuttle to campus & downtown, they do snow removal, the apartments are furnished, they said several med students live there, and they would let me bring my dog.

But, it's only ~5 mins from school. I don't want to live there if it's unsafe. Here is the exact address:
391 Eggert Road
Buffalo, NY 14215

Is this considered part of the unsafe area (University District)?

If I get in off the waitlist, I was going to live in Collegiate Village. They have a shuttle to campus & downtown, they do snow removal, the apartments are furnished, they said several med students live there, and they would let me bring my dog.

But, it's only ~5 mins from school. I don't want to live there if it's unsafe. Here is the exact address:
391 Eggert Road
Buffalo, NY 14215

Is this considered part of the unsafe area (University District)?

When we talk about unsafe around south campus, it's generally within a five or ten blocks depending on which way you're going.

Collegiate Village is relatively safe. I know a lot of people that have lived there. I also considered living there when I came to Buffalo, but I found it too expensive and too far away from downtown, so I opted for an apartment down here. I even visited and found it to be really nice. The neighborhood surrounding it is a bit shady, but nothing as bad as the immediate vicinity around South Campus. Plus there's security and gates and things around the village so that make it better still.

Back to living downtown: to give you an idea, I pay $470 for a downtown studio (everything included except cable/internet) and I feel like I'm getting ripped off. I had a friend paying $350 for an apartment twice the size as mine, with air conditioning, furniture, dishwasher, everything you could want. All included. You can generally get very, very good deals if you rent two/three/four bedroom apartments with other people. If you want to go downtown (which I recommend), search Artvoice Rentals for "Allentown".

For first year students, a lot of them lived at collegiate village, but like someone mentioned, it's expensive and kind of in the middle of nowhere relative to the city and even the school. I know that next year, a huge number of my classmates are migrating downtown to the Elmwood village/Allentown area. Parking can be a little annoying though. It's about a 15min drive in the morning, but there is a school shuttle from the allen street subway stop in the morning, or the subway, goes straight up to the med school; however, you do kind of need a car. A lot of students also live up by north campus since the UB stampede runs back and forth from there too, but it's a little more difficult to go out on weekends i suppose because it's farther. Hope that helps

Accepted off the wait list, I interviewed in November. I was told that I have been in the middle third...must have moved up.

I found out from the online status...have not gotten a letter yet.

Class 2014!!!!!

Good luck to all other wait list people, hang in there

Accepted today. Now I have to choose for real between here and AMC.

has anyone received any specific information on things like:

when classes start?
when the white coat ceremony is?
when orientation starts?
if/when there is a 2nd look day?
if we have student online accounts yet?

i feel like other schools have been on top of this information, and informing their incoming class. maybe i just overlooked it in an email/snail mail...

Does anyone remember hearing (or seeing, for students) what the class hours are like/time at school is like for Buffalo during first and second year?

Is there a note taking service? Does pretty much everyone go to class or is it more of a mix of what people find best for themselves?

I remember thinking Buffalo sounded like they had busier scheduled weeks than most other schools, but I don't want to make a mistake if that isn't the case.

Thanks!

Does anyone remember hearing (or seeing, for students) what the class hours are like/time at school is like for Buffalo during first and second year?

Is there a note taking service? Does pretty much everyone go to class or is it more of a mix of what people find best for themselves?

I remember thinking Buffalo sounded like they had busier scheduled weeks than most other schools, but I don't want to make a mistake if that isn't the case.

Thanks!

8-1 most days, 8-12 some, once every other week, you'll have CPM seminar from 2-4. Word is incoming class will have one less hour so 8-12 most days.

No note-taking service but we have a shared drive on the computers where you can find notes from previous classes. ~50-70% go to class.

I think your orientation starts 8/9 and if the schedule is like it was last year, official class starts 8/12, white coat 8/13. You'll get something in the mail about how to register for classes. They'll teach you how to work your online student account during orientation.

Does that include like anatomy and histology labs? (and any other I might be overlooking?)

Thank you so much!

Does that include like anatomy and histology labs? (and any other I might be overlooking?)

Thank you so much!

Yup. All required labs fall within those time periods.

Anyone know what third they are currently pulling students off of ? or how much of their class do they have filled?

Anyone know what third they are currently pulling students off of ? or how much of their class do they have filled?

they're still pulling from the top third. come take a look at the waitlist thread. :)

Accepted off the upper third of the waitlist on Friday (via snail mail)... but just withdrew so hopefully one of you will get my spot!

Accepted off the upper third of the waitlist on Friday (via snail mail)... but just withdrew so hopefully one of you will get my spot!

thanks for the info!! good luck to you wherever you chose to go instead! :)

Thank you again for all the info. I've spent the last two weeks trying really hard to choose between AMC and Buffalo and I've been trying to review and get a feel for all the differences between them.

Looks like Buffalo for me though :D. Wicked excited.

Last edited:
Finally made a decision and I'm going with Buffalo! See you all in a few months!

Just withdrew... good luck to those on the waitlist, it moves fast!

So, aside from South Campus area, what are others are particularly dangerous? I've heard alot about the nicer areas, but there is alot of the city that I haven't heard either way about.

Aside from that... it seems like a really confusing place if you don't know it first hand. Is the mainstreet area (South campus to Downtown) unsafe? (in my brief visit, large parts of it seemed like they could go either way and it would be hard to tell without knowing the area)

Aside from Allentown, is the rest of downtown (and in general the area south of BGH) safeish?

Driving around, most of Amherst looked safe and nice, as did the Elmwood Village area, but other areas it felt like you would need to know the city to have an idea. Rundown buildings can be in both nice and not nice areas, it's really hard to know >.<

Last edited:
Sueyna,

Allentown, the area around Delaware Park & Elmwood Village are nice, and probably the safest areas you'll get in the city, but Amherst and Williamsville are probably better options if you don't want to be right in the city. I really am NOT a city person at all, as I live about 30 minutes south of the city itself, but they're both close enough that it's only a 5-10 minute drive to South campus. Good Luck finding a place. PM me if you have any specific questions.

So, aside from South Campus area, what are others are particularly dangerous? I've heard alot about the nicer areas, but there is alot of the city that I haven't heard either way about.

Aside from that... it seems like a really confusing place if you don't know it first hand. Is the mainstreet area (South campus to Downtown) unsafe? (in my brief visit, large parts of it seemed like they could go either way and it would be hard to tell without knowing the area)

Aside from Allentown, is the rest of downtown (and in general the area south of BGH) safeish?

Driving around, most of Amherst looked safe and nice, as did the Elmwood Village area, but other areas it felt like you would need to know the city to have an idea. Rundown buildings can be in both nice and not nice areas, it's really hard to know >.<

I think zipskinny.com gives you a good idea of the poverty rate and probably the crime rate in the surrounding area. Just zipskinny the zipcode and you'll know a lot more about it. There are some areas with over a 50% poverty rate, and that's generally a bad sign. Any area that is below 30% (the average for the city) is probably decent. The closer the poverty rate is to 12% (the national average), the better off you are.

And visiting is always a good idea. Look at the cars parked in the area. If it seems like there's a lot of nice cars parked there, it's probably decent (people with nice cars generally won't park in an area where their car will get broken into or stolen). Small businesses are also a good indicator (NOT necessarily corner shops, which are everywhere). If you see a ton of restaurants, bars, small shops it's probably a decent area. Construction is also very good sign. Abandoned buildings, while they can be anywhere, are not a good sign if there are too many. You know, it's mainly common sense stuff if you visit.

Hey Guys, it seems like you have a lot of questions about housing, areas, safety, etc... I strongly advice you to check out:
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/polity/housing/nhoods.php
This site will be updated in the next couple weeks to correlate with the incoming medical students.

Also, if accepted and want to join the facebook group, it is here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=108844319148329&ref=ts

Lastly, if you have any other questions, contact me via email:
[email protected]

I am the organizer for this year's housing weekend which will take placae on June 17-18. Hope to see you there!

So, this may sound like a really stupid question but...how do i accept the school's offer? It's been a couple days since the status check and i haven't heard a peep from e-mail, phone call, or snail mail...if they send through snail mail I'm afraid they may have sent to a wrong address. Does anyone know what is their first means of communication after the status check change?

So, this may sound like a really stupid question but...how do i accept the school's offer? It's been a couple days since the status check and i haven't heard a peep from e-mail, phone call, or snail mail...if they send through snail mail I'm afraid they may have sent to a wrong address. Does anyone know what is their first means of communication after the status check change?

the acceptance letter says that you can call them to accept their acceptance. (7168293466) and i'm sure you can just shoot them an e-mail to ask, but there's also a bunch of forms that you need to fill out that will come in the acceptance packet, so either way you'd need the snail mail. it took a little over a week for my acceptance packet to arrive (i'm in nyc), so they might just take a while.

I heard a few days before my letter came because I had just happened to email Mr. Rosso about visiting the school again. So it took maybe 5 days or more from after the decision was made to me getting the mail. It couldn't hurt to call them though!

Accepted off the waitlist (acceptance packet getting forward to me and status check was today 6.6.10)... I was middle 1/3 and interviewed/waitlisted very early 10/15.

Does anyone know when classes start. In the acceptance package, it says the first day of classes is aug 9th. anyone know if theres an orientation day or anything like that? or when will we expect to get more information?

Does anyone know when classes start. In the acceptance package, it says the first day of classes is aug 9th. anyone know if theres an orientation day or anything like that? or when will we expect to get more information?

I had called UB a while back to ask about first day of classes and orientation, and was told that Orientation and classes start August 9th. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.